• Published 5th Jun 2013
  • 1,499 Views, 57 Comments

The Accident - Gabriel LaVedier

  • ...
3
 57
 1,499

Epilogue: Telos

“That's it, dearest. Another push and the task will be complete,” Gummy said encouragingly, stroking Winona's head as the farm dog panted and let out little yaps.

“Mama never told me it would be like this. But... mama just had puppies,” Winona whined out between strains, finally sighing as her last child was brought into the world. She quickly reached around and brought her teeth to bear against the caul. Her children had been born in sacs, with thicker lining than normal for a dog. Likely, they were meant to imitate the tough eggs of alligators. Once the child had been released she licked it clean and let it join the others.

The six little hybrid children had a very interesting look. Their feet were very like dogs, as were their heads, but with elongated and slightly-flattened snouts. They had a low profile about them, and tufts of hair around their joints, in Winona's color. Their tails were shorter by proportion than an alligator's might be, and were smooth. Only the slightest hint of scale pebbling was visible on them, their skin being light green where that was the case. They all nursed softly, eyes open but ears closed.

“My dearest one... my sweet, gentle pastoral maid, parenthood is upon us. Life has sprung forth from you and dear... they are magnificent,” Gummy said, in a mix of awe and happiness, rubbing his snout against Winona's muzzle.

“My babies... our babies...” Winona whispered, giving Gummy a few tired licks on the snout and rolling a little more to let her new litter nurse. “We'll be good parents, won't we, Gummy?” She looked to Gummy in uncertainty.

A smile spread over his long snout and he placed a comforting kiss on her nose. “Quite good, dear. Quite good indeed.”

“And that, Rainbow, is why ah love farm life. The miracle of new life, right there ta be seen...” Applejack said, as she and Rainbow stood over the whelping box, with Pinkie nearby looking gushy.

“Wow... that was weird...” Rainbow said, getting a bonk to the back of the head for her trouble. “Ow! I didn't say it was bad but, come on, AJ. Those are some... well, they're not the kind of puppies I'm used to is all.”

“True, true, it ain't so usual. But that's life. Life's got some twists and turns. Surprises even. Jes gotta roll with 'em,” Applejack said, still looking down at Winona and Gummy, mother and father both seeming to be resting in the glow of a successful birth.

“I guess. I just like doing things on purpose, like a perfect trick, or being engaged to the most awesomest mare in Equestria, besides me,” Dash said, nuzzling Applejack's neck.

“Alright, alright, ya ain't been banned from the homestead, no need ta be so mushy,” Applejack laughed, waving off Rainbow's attempts at romance, with a blush crossing her cheeks.

“There's always a reason... but maybe not when Pinkie's here looking down at cute baby animals,” Rainbow said, reaching over to give Pinkie a nudge. “Hey, what's going on? I thought you'd be...”

“That was amazing!” Pinkie suddenly shouted, bouncing all around the whelping box and throwing confetti everywhere while she tooted on party horns and spun noisemakers. “I can't believe it! It's only been about ten days since Angel and Opal had their babies and now Winona and Gummy had them too! I love birthdays that are really close! I can make up big, coordinated parties! This is gonna be great!”

“Uhhh, sure. That's great, Pinkie,” Dash said, still slightly in awe of Pinkie's outburst. Shaking her head she took a look around. “So there's Twilight? I thought you two were joined at the hip.”

“That was an accident, Dashie! She was trying too much, too soon. I told her that taffy making isn't for the irresponsible new cook but she told me she could handle it. Then it happened... the magic.... so much taffy, so... much... taffy...” Pinkie stared off into the distance and stroked at her mane.

“Right... anyway, where's she at?” Dash asked once more.

“She's at the library!” Pinkie chirped, immediately recovered. “When we found out about this she stayed to write a letter to Princess Celestia. They'll probably send out some more Canterlot scientists to see the babies, like they did for Opal and Angel.”

“Guess ah better tell Granny we'll be havin' guests over. She won't hear of no visitors comin' 'round and not having some vittles with the family. She's got an image ta maintain,” Applejack said. She reached down and stroked Winona's head. “Be a good lil momma, now. Ah've gotta go fer a bit. Dash, yer in charge 'til ah get back.”

“In charge of what? It's Winona, Gummy and a few babies in a box. That's not exactly a Wonderbolt squad,” Dash said.

“But ya'd better act like it was. If any of them babies is so much as whimperin' then ah'll see to it ya gotta do another formal dinner. The big formal one, where ya gotta carve a squash,” Applejack threatened, fixing Dash with a stern gaze.

“Okay, okay! No need to threaten me, I can take care of this,” Dash said, settling down and staring intently into the box. “Just don't make me do that. I never know if I'm supposed to carve or let Granny Smith carve.”

“That's half the point, sugarcube. So watch yer flank,” Applejack warned, as she made her way out of the barn, leaving Dash and Pinkie with the box.

“Ugh, so many weird rituals,” Dash sighed, still looking into the box. “I'll bet Twilight doesn't put you through this. She's probably really normal. Which is weird to say.”

“Nope! Just a lot of reading. And her parents want me to wear lederhosen or fancy dresses and a lot of Zebra accessories,” Pinkie said, reaching into the box to softly stroke Gummy, trying not to interrupt his rubbing on Winona's head and snout.

Dash blinked at that revelation and huffed loudly. “Pinkie Pie... Twilight's parents are so random...”

- - -

Twilight was not writing a letter at that moment. When the birth had started she had dashed off the letter and had it sent immediately. She then spent a bit of time brushing up on the anatomies of dogs and alligators. She wanted to be prepared for pup-sitting duties. She had been foalsat by the best foalsitter in Equestria and the Crystal Empire. She was the natural choice to look after the new little hybrids.

She was also keeping an eye on Tank, though what that really meant was watching him resting placidly while Owlowicious perched happily on his shell. She knew when he was happy, and when he was more than happy. Being around tank brought out more than a passing bit of joy to him.

Twilight left her studies for a moment and care Owlowicious an affectionate rub on the head. “You really like being with Tank, don't you?” A fluff of feathers and a very high 'whoo' answered the question. “I thought so. The others don't have my perception... and I know you. You're never quite so happy as when you're perched on his carapace.” She placed a light kiss on his feathery head. “I'm glad you found someone, too. Take care of him. He's really special.” She gave Tank a stroke on the head, a smile greeting her efforts.

“Who's really special?” Spike asked, coming down form the upper area of the library with Peewee in tow.

“Owlowicious,” Twilight responded, returning to her books. “I was just telling Tank... well, it's not important. I need to get back to studying this for pup-sitting later on.”

“Why do you think they'll let you? I mean, there's a very mature, responsible, reasonably-priced pet-sitting dragon in town. Not mentioning any names...” Spike said casually, polishing his claws on his chest.

“Didn't you end up squandering your pay on increasingly desperate schemes that ended with you stowing away to the Crystal Empire in a desperate bid to keep the pets from getting lost?” Twilight asked, with a smug grin.

“That happened once.. Once!” Spike said insistently, a dark blush coloring his cheeks. Peewee seemed to laugh at that and flittered his way over to Tank and Owlowicious.

“Hey, hey, hey, what's happening? I heard that Winona's having her babies! Can I see the babies, let's go see the babies, Opal had hers but she's mean and Angel always ties to swat me!” Peewee said in rapid-fire chatter, winging his way around Tank and Owlowicious.

“We are attempting to rest now, Peewee. There are no lessons planned for this day. You may freely engage in any silliness that you like with Spike,” Owlowicious noted, giving Peewee a little smile. He stroked a talon along Tank's carapace and hooted lightly, “Did you hear? She sees... and she approves. I never thought I could be happier. But to be known and supported... perhaps he did have something for us at that party...”

“What do you mean? Who knows what? Who approved what?” Peewee asked, suddenly finding himself hugged in against Owlowicious' chest.

“Calm yourself, my young charge, try to relax and just enjoy this opportunity to rest. We will be busy enough, with a flurry of caretaker duties in the future. You are no longer the youngest of our group, now you will need to learn responsibility,” Owlowicious said to the squirming phoenix.

“Alright! Alright! I'll learn! Just let me go! You know I hate being still!” Peewee whinged, struggling until he popped out of the grip and fluttered over to perch on top of Spike's crest.

“He is a young bird. But he has a long life to figure out what is best and most proper in life. He will find bliss in these simple moments of relaxing calm with the one he loves. Sooner or later,” Owlowicious said softly, stroking a talon over Tank's carapace again.

“Hopefully sooner. He's too charged up,” Tank said blandly.

“That he is. But I applaud his exuberance, if nothing else. He must, after all, be a match to our resident would-be Lothario and keep him on a proper path besides. I do not envy him his duty,” Owlowicious hooted, ruffling his feathers and then settling down to a light doze, his drooping wings stroking gently over Tank's back.

- - -

“I know I said I hated my dads. But maybe they were onto something. Kittens are hard work,” Angel noted, hopping off of his cushy pillow to lift one of his children and deposit them back against Opal's side. “Four are hard work, I can't even imagine more.”

“Then do not imagine more, you certainly won't be having more with me anytime soon,” Opal said, regarding Angel with a mirthful expression. “You bring this on yourself, you know. This is either supremely endearing or just a bit obsessive. I have not decided which.”

“What? I said I was going to be a totally involved dad and I'm gonna be that. No question,” Angel said, stamping a foot down firmly and setting the little kittens to mewling. He rushed over to them desperately, stroking their ears and patting their backs softly, working on getting them calm.

“There are involved fathers, and then there are the crazy ones who worry if they still see milk in a teat,” Opal said with a roll of her eyes and a smile.

“If there's still milk it means one of them is going hungry, and none of my kittens are going to go hungry as long as I'm around,” Angel said resolutely, almost stamping a foot again but managing to hold himself back.

“Such a good father you are, indeed. But if the kittens wish to wander, let them wander, let them explore, get bumped, mewl for a bit, and generally be kittens. I know you want to, but you cannot protect them from everything. Be there to soothe their hurts and deflect the dangers you do find, when appropriate. That is how one may be a proper father, and a proper mother,” Opal said, inviting Angel into a hug.

Angel accepted the hug with a sigh of releasing tension and a slow nod. “You're right. How did you get to be such a big expert on parenting all of a sudden? Has that egghead Owlowicious been lending you books?”

“Not at all, though it could hardly hurt. I simply thought on what my mother and father did... and advised the opposite,” Opal said, burying her face in Angel's neck.

“That'll work, babe. That'll work...” Angel said, repeating the gesture.

“Now, don't we make the most lovely family, darling?” Rarity asked, cuddling up warmly against Fluttershy. The two mares were sitting placidly beside one another in the sewing room of Carousel Boutique, watching Angel, Opal and the kittens.

“Oh yes. The two of us, and our pets, who have little ones all their own,” Fluttershy sighed, soft eyes drifting across the prosaic scene. “And look at Angel and Opal... I've never seen them so calm. They really must be in love.”

“Yes. While I never expected it out of that tempestuous bunny of yours I must say, he has proven himself quite the gentlehare...” Rarity began.

“Rabbit,” Fluttershy corrected.

“Of course, rabbit. My apologies. Gentlerabbit. He is such a thing. Kind, attentive, responsive. The perfect father. He reminds me of my own, in his overprotective manner and great, real love for his family,” Rarity said, lightly rubbing her head against the side of Fluttershy's own.

“And mine,” Fluttershy concurred. “His work kept him so busy, but he spent every minute he could with me, just to try and make me feel less afraid. I always appreciated that.”

“Good fathers are seldom good fathers by chance,” Rarity said, watching Angel relax against Opal, “They have some drive, some impetus. Skill or honor or something of that nature. They want to be good fathers.”

“It looks like Angel bunny wanted to be a good father,” Fluttershy noted, laughing softly at a thought, “But I don't think he ever thought he'd be one.”

“No, I suspect not. I suspect he thought he could have unlimited, no-consequence relations with my Opal,” Rarity said, with a rising anger that faded as she took a deep breath. “They made each other happy and that was good. But by circumstance, he became one. He became a father by accident. But a good father... he did that on purpose.”

Comments ( 4 )

guests over she guests over. She

pop-sitting. pup-sitting.

father,”Fluttershy. father, "Fluttershy

But a good father... he did that on purpose.”

Dawwww.

Oh, and Spike, you are a crappy pet-sitter, admit it.

but, Tank and Owlowicious act more like Peewee parents, I want to read Rainbow reaction about them :rainbowlaugh: and a follow to the couples!

3968750

It was mostly implied. For Applejack it was sort of what we in America call a "Shotgun Wedding" which is when a pregnant girl and the guy that got her pregnant are forced to get married by the families (and it's associated with rural folks like Applejack.) For Rarity it was a similar thing. Like other upper-class people (or those who affect the trappings of the status) she is using marriage to hide the shame of illegitimate pregnancy. But really, Angel and Opal were essentially engaged anyhow. Ditto Gummy and Winona.

And yes, Peewee has two daddies :rainbowlaugh:

Great story and I agree with Rarity's sentiments at the end.
He became a father by accident. But a good father... he did that on purpose.”
That is what my Daddy tried to be.

Login or register to comment