• Published 23rd May 2013
  • 9,252 Views, 856 Comments

Adorkable Love - Einhander



Rarity figures out that Cheerilee has a crush on Twilight, and that Twilight is oblivious. Rarity decide to play matchmaker. And Blue Bonnet is the worst delivery pony. Nothing can posi-blie go wrong.

  • ...
33
 856
 9,252

I: Why Do Foals Fall In Love?

Adorkable Love

by Einhander

Chapter One: Why Do Foals Fall In Love?

Rarity stood outside the Golden Oaks Library. She took a breath, raised her hoof and…. hesitated. And lowered her hoof. She shook her head. Composure. Class. Couthness. Put it together, darling. She’ll help you, of course she will.

Just… keep her focused….

She knocked on the door, and a few moments later Spike opened it, a smiling instantly blossoming on his face. “R-Rarity!”

“Good Morning, Spike. May I come in?”

“Of course!” the dragon replied, standing up straight and extending his claw in welcome. Rarity trotted by and looked around the library, which was in a semi-organized disarray. It was always neat and tidy or in semi-organized disarray. And as much as she loved dear little Spike, semi-organized disarray meant that Twilight was most likely not home...

…which in this case was actually quite a good thing.

“Is Twilight out?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. She went to run some errands.” He picked up some books and started filing them. “I’m just cleaning up until she gets back. Do you want me to give her a message?”

“Actually, could you help me locate a book?”

Spike brightened at that. “Anything for you Rarity. What’s the title?”

Rarity shook her head. “I’m afraid. I don’t know the title, but I know what the cover looks like.”

Spike hesitated. “Twilight knows every book by cover; I’m just the assistant who knows how to file by subject. Maybe we should wait for her.”

“I can’t, darling; I’m in a bit of a hurry, unfortunately. It has a blue binding and a pony in a dress that looks…” she pulled out a rough sketch from her bag, “something like this, only more… stylish.”

Spike stared at the drawing and gave a small shrug, “Not ringing any bells.”

“Please, Spike?” Rarity batted her eyelashes at the dragon, (a bit shamelessly, to be fair), and pouted, “I wouldn’t ask if it wasn’t terribly important.”

Spike smirked a little. He wasn’t one to turn down helping anypony, much less Rarity. “Twilight did say I was in charge until she got back. Just let me file these almanacs, and we’ll find your dress book!”

“Oh thank you, Spike!” said Rarity, and Spike blushed as he quickly turned to file the stack of books. “It’s a novel actually.” Spike nodded, filing the books as quickly as he could. Rarity watched him work. “So it would be fair to say, then, that until Twilight gets back…. You’re the boss?”

Spike somehow managed to stand up even straighter as he finished filing. “You could say that, when Twilight is out…. I’m the boss.” He grinned over his shoulder at Rarity as he reached to file the last book, “You could say-“ and with a THUD the book fell back on the ground. They both stared it, and then looked up at where he had tried to file. There were too many books for that part of the shelf, and thus it had come tumbling back onto him. Spike withered a little.

“She always says to look both ways before you file.” He sighed. “I should have listened. He bent over to pick up the book, and smiled at Rarity, “But! She also says-“ and he lifted the book and drew his hand back, “that I shouldn’t be afraid of making-“

And before he could throw the book, books started tumbling down all around him like hail. Rarity shut her eyes in a wince, and heard a good dozen more hit the ground. She opened her eyes to see a sad Spike, surrounded by the fruits of his labor. The floor had graduated from semi to full-on disarray.

He somehow wilted further and said, “-mistakes.”

A final tome came down, knocking the book out of his hand. He sighed. “Crud.”

“There there, Spike, no harm done.” Her horn glowed, and she started levitating the books. “Just point where they should go and we’ll have this…. mess… cleaned up in no time.”

“Thanks Rarity!” he squinted as he looked at the empty spots, “Let’s see, History of Equestria IV goes there… Bugs that Shouldn’t Exist over there… Daring Do and the Last Stampede goes on the top shelf… The Great Gallopsy goes-“

The Great Gallopsy?!” gasped Rarity, who seized the copy of Gallopsy with her hooves and forgot all about the other books (which dropped back to the ground). “Spike, darling, you must be psychic! This is the book I was looking for! It’s the image exactly!”

“Gee. Great.” said Spike in a flat voice, looking at the re-created mess on the ground.

“You don’t understand! I’m designing gowns and suits for a very special client, who is having a party from the Foalish Follies era in pony history!” She was flipping through the book with glee, “She wants to replicate the lavish parties, the music, the... *Ahem*... romance.. but more importantly this book has exactly the detail I need to finish the dress. Oh, Spike, you’ve made my day!”

“Gee, Great!” said Spike, now more excited. A mess could be fixed, but a smile from Rarity was irreplaceable.

“I have to get back to the boutique right away, before-“ she stopped, realizing the mess she had (re)made and Spike’s sad expression. “Oh, right. The clean-up.”

Spike shook his head. “It’s okay, Rarity, go ahead. Twilight should be back any moment, and she can help."

Rarity's eyes went wide. Twilight was almost back. Must run, must flee. "Yes, of course. Well give her my best and I will...Er... Return the book as soon as-"

There was the chime of bells as the door swung open behind Rarity. She froze.

“Oh, hi Rarity!” came Twilight’s sing-song voice. Rarity went limp.

“Hello… Twilight…” said Rarity.

"What book do you have there?"

Rarity hesitated.

It’s not that she didn’t love Twilight dearly. It’s not that she didn’t love spending time with Twilight, whether on adventures, or having tea or gossiping about this and that. It’s not even that Rarity doubted Twilight’s intelligence, or her ability to find the right book for the right pony.

It was Twilight’s complete inability to just pick the book out and leave it at that.

If she wanted to avoid another twenty minutes of combined lecture, she needed to distract Twilight.

"Well, it's... a book." Is all she managed.

Rarity heard a gasp, and awoke from her short inner monologue. She realized Twilight was now gaping at her, wait, no, not at her- at Spike, and the pile of books all over the floor. Rarity edged away from her line of sight, trying to discretely make an escape.

Twilight was almost comically flustered. "Spike... H-how can this place be in worse shape than when I left it?! I was gone for a whole hour!"

"I was cleaning! And I know I should wait for you when I don’t know where a book is for the customer, but Rarity...was... she knew what it looked like... Er..." Spike trailed off miserably under Twilight's stare, which somehow was a perfect mix of disappointment and resignation.

Rarity's heart sank. Even if it meant a lecture, she couldn't let poor Spike take the fall. It was-mostly-her fault.

"It's all my fault, darling. I absolutely needed this book-" Rarity flashed the copy, quickly, hoping Twilight wouldn't see the cover-" and I tore the place apart looking for it. Spike was only trying to keep up, and I must say he has dons a marvelous job. You should have seen this place a few minutes ago! COMPLETELY different!"

Twilight turned her head to look at Rarity with an arched eyebrow. Rarity sighed internally, but returned the look with a big smile externally. She held up the book. "See? I absolutely needed-"

"The Great Gallopsy!" Shouted Twilight, who ran over to Rarity with such speed you'd think somepony was on fire, "this is a classic! May I?" She reached for the book and was immediately flipping through it. "So much great imagery, and the characters! And-"

Rarity cringed a little as Twilight went on, but then she caught the eyes of a visibly relieved Spike. He mouthed 'thank you' and began quietly picking up the books. Rarity relaxed. Twilight had been distracted and was happily engrossed in a book, and Spike was saved, climbing up a ladder to refile the books. All was well.

"I mean a shame it's completely historically inaccurate, but otherwise this book is flawless."

All was not well.

Twilight closed the book and handed it back to Rarity. “I’m so excited you're reading it again. Unless... Rarity, don't tell me this is your first time!"

"Er... No, darling I did pay attention in school so I remember most of the story, but what was that last thing you said?"

"Oh, the book is completely historically inaccurate. Dates mixed up, locations that never existed in east Manehattan. Even some of the slang is years off. NO one said "the dragon's knees" like that until a decade after the book is set."

Rarity once again felt her heart sink, but tried to rally, "but surely the dress descriptions are on point? They're so gorgeous."

"We'll you'd be the better pony to determine the 'gorgeosity' if the dresses. The writing is beautiful, but no, they're much more lavish than what ponies actually wore in the period. But that's no major issue, it serves the story and it’s not like you're trying to base a historically accurate dress design off the book or anything."

There was a silence. An awful silence.

"Unless you're trying to base a historically accurate dress design off the book."

The silence continued. Spike stopped filing and turned to watch.

"Rarity tell me you’re not trying to base a historically accurate dress design off this book."

Rarity had a big, nervous smile and Twilight had the pre-freak out face, a face Spike knew well. It was the face of impending disaster, of enchanted dolls and time-traveling Twilight. Spike's immediate future suddenly rolled out in front of him, complete with charts and a tornado of bookmarked histories of Equestria and Rarity not able to complete her dress and in the end it would be a giant mess that he'd have to clean up. Like it already happened, and there was nothing he (or Rarity) could do about it.

The bells chimed and the front door swung open. It missed Rarity by about an inch.

Spike looked as Cheerilee happily trotted in, her eyes drawn to the satchel in her right hoof (and not on the scene in front of her) and then he had a different vision of the immediate future.

He saw Rarity was so far in her head she didn't hear the sound of the bells. He saw Twilight so involved in staring at Rarity and walking towards her that she didn't (or couldn't) see the third pony entering. He saw Cheerilee's eyes on her satchel of books as she was about to wish everyone a good morning. And he saw Rarity was so busy backing up from Twilight’s horrified stare (and stalking) into Cheerilee’s closed eyes that...

THUNK. THUD. "Oof!" "Ow..." "Oh my!"

The vision came true.

Spike sighed and climbed down to help. Rarity was on the ground, with Cheerilee on top of her back half, and Twilight somehow on top of her front half. The book satchel was on the ground, its three books scattered (along with he library's copy of Gallopsy) near the pony pile. Twilight groaned and drowsily shook her head as Cheerilee rubbed her own nose.

And as Spike picked up Cheerilee’s books, he saw them both focus and stare at each other, practically nose to nose. There was a brief moment where all they saw was each other. (Or at least, from Spike's point of view, since they certainly didn't see that they were still on top of Rarity)

Cheerilee seemed to be holding her breath. Twilight spoke first. "Cheerilee? What are you doing here?"

"Well... I'm here to see you! And return this book on my break and... Oh dear, where is it..."

Spike held the books out, hoping Cheerilee would see them.

"Oh!" said Cheerilee. Spike smiled. "The Great Gallopsy?"

Spike blinked. He wasn't holding that book... Gallopsy was still on the floor.

"It's an original copy." said Twilight proudly.

Spike rolled his eyes, and stared at Cheerilee’s books, willing them to jump out of his claws and into her bag again.

"No wonder the cover is so beautiful! Are you re-reading it?" Asked Cheerilee.

And then Spike noticed something weird about the books he was holding...

"Rarity is! But she's making a huge mistake, she said she... Where is she?"

"I'm underbbefh you thhhbbo" choked Rarity, startling the two oblivious ponies. They quickly got off of her, and as she hauled herself up. The things I do for fashion.

"I'm fine." Rarity answered before they could ask, "if you would be so kind as to lend me the book I'll be on my way."

"Of course!" said Twilight, magically picking up Gallopsy. Rarity held out her hoof expectantly.

"Such a wonderful book..." said Cheerilee in an almost affectionate tone as the book floated by.

"Yes, but as I said VERY historically inaccurate!" Twilight snapped, magically pulling the book back and flipping through it, “Ponies think this is how the era was, but it just wasn't! It's a huge misconception! You can’t use it to form your dress designs, Rarity! Your client will be furious!"

Rarity narrowed her eyes, took a deep breath and-

"Rarity," said Cheerilee quickly, "what exactly did your client ask for?"

Rarity paused. She wasn't prepared for a simple question with a somewhat simple answer. "Well, who the client is, I admit is a bit of mystery. I only have an address to ship and some specifications. But the biggest is that she wants a dress that's just like-but not exactly- from the foalish follies era. This book- Gallopsy- was specifically mentioned."

Cheerilee nodded, "Twilight, have you ever heard the saying, 'when you have to choose between the truth and the legend, print the legend'?"

Twilight thought about it, and shook her head.

"Let me put it this way. If Rarity designs a dress that looks just like the cover of The Great Gallopsy, when would they think it’s from?"

"The Foalish Follies era," admitted Twilight "But they'd be wrong, of course...unless it was VERY late Foalish Follies..."

"And if they designed a very accurate Foalish Follies-era costume?"

Twilight hung her head. "They'd think it was an old old OLD costume." She then looked pleadingly at Cheerilee, "but they'd be WRONG!"

Cheerilee smiled. "And despite your absolutely correct analysis of historical fact, what do you think would make Rarity's client happier? And Rarity, for that matter?"

Twilight sighed, staring at the cover of the book. "This dress with a Rarity twist. Unquestionably. Despite the anachronisms." Twilight wrinkled her nose. "Unless it’s a historian’s convention. I'm sorry, Rarity."

Rarity stared with her mouth open. She had never seen Twilight simultaneously complimented and corrected before (at least not successfully). The freak-out had been defused completely, without any distractions, just by a few words from Cheerilee. And there was praise for her dress making mixed in as well! And an apology! It was a brand new day.

It was also a day where she was running way behind schedule.

"Yes, we'll, now that that's settled," Rarity said, "I really do need to get this book back to the boutique. May I?"

Twilight nodded, and Rarity gently used her magic to float the book back into her hooves. Finally! She started to re-pack her bag.

"And on that note, Spike, would you please return Cheerilee’s books?" asked Twilight.

"Huh?" Spike snapped out of staring at the books, "oh. Yeah! Here you are, Ms. Cheerilee."

"Thank you Spike, but please it's just Cheerilee." She said warmly, taking the books, "and actually Twilight, THIS one is yours..." She held the book out for Twilight. "Well, it's the library's..."

Spike watched that book transfer like a hawk. Why did Cheerilee return that one...?

"Thank you Cheerilee! On time return, as always..." Twilight looked at the cover. "Oh the third Game of Crowns! I finished it last week. What did you think of it?"

"I couldn’t put it down! Do you have the fourth one?"

Spike's eyes went as big as dinner plates.

"I think so. Spike, do you know if it’s been checked out?"

"No..." Spike said slowly, "I'm pretty sure we have it..."

In the foreground, Rarity was making very unlady-like sounds as she tried to stuff the book into her bag. As she finally succeeded in getting the book just barely into the bag, there was a loud knock at the door that startled her… and she dropped the bag and the contents went everywhere.

“Oh, bother!” she said, in the same way that other ponies might use a four letter word.

There was a second knock, and Twilight and Spike exchanged a look of confusion. “I’ll get it, Spike, can you locate book four for Cheerilee?”

Spike nodded and went up the ladder as Twilight headed for the door. Cheerilee bent down to help Rarity, who had continued muttering words under her breath that she would deny even knowing the definition of later.

Twilight opened the door and there was a tall blue earth pony wearing a brown vest with a winged logo, and hat with the same logo. His cutie mark was two horseshoes linked together. He had a clipboard and said, “Afternoon, Ma’am. PPS. Where do you want them?”

“Uh… where do I want what?”

“The twenty trampolines. They're already paid for, so where do you want them? I can leave them here or put them out back, but I don’t think they’re going to fit inside your tree.”

“Twenty trampolines?? What in Celestia are you-“ but then Twilight was cut off as the earth pony stood to the side and pointed and Twilight said “Oh my.”

That made everyone stop and turn their head. Cheerilee and Rarity came to the door and saw, yes, twenty different boxes of all shapes and sizes, each marked “Trampoline.”

“Uh… we didn’t order any trampolines.” said Twilight, who then narrowed her eyes, “did we, Spike?”

Spike deadpanned, “Twilight, I don’t know what I’d do with A trampoline, much less twenty of them.”

“Right, so Mr… uh…”

“Blue Bonnet, Pony Postal Service, and I’m pretty sure you did. Says right here. Look.” The earth pony confidently held out the delivery form. Twilight squinted to read the handwriting.

“That... IS my address... but my name is NOT… uh… Eip Eiknip?”

Mr., Bonnet opened his mouth to reply, but then stopped and blinked. He looked at his form, and then back at Twilight. “It isn’t?”

Rarity piped up, “You don’t know who this is?”

Blue Bonnet swallowed, realizing his day was about to get a whole lot longer. “Ms. Eiknip?”

Cheerilee shook her head, “Why, she’s Twilight Sparkle, of course!” Bonnet stared at her. She continued, “The princess’s private student? Master of magic? Town librarian? She lives with a dragon?" She pointed at Spike. That dragon, in fact?”

Blue Bonnet tapped his hoof on the ground, thinking, “I remember she was around during that parasprite problem…”

“I can’t believe you, sir! She defeated Nightmare Moon! She saved this town at least three times! She’s a hero!” Cheerilee then realized she was talking very loudly right in the facial region of Blue Bonnet, who was physically backing away. Cheerilee blushed and shrunk a little, saying, “Well, she’s a hero to me, anyway.” Twilight blushed at that as well.

“She’s a hero to ALL of us.” said Rarity, saving face for both of them. “And her name is NOT… whatever that gibberish is. I have no idea who that pony is.”

Spike, who had been only half-listening, found the book he was looking for. A quick glance at the cover picture confirmed his suspicions, even if he wasn’t sure what it all meant.

“So what you’re saying is… you didn’t order twenty trampolines.” said Blue Bonnet.

“NO!” said all three ponies.

He groaned “Well what am I supposed to do with-“

Rarity shut the door in his face with a huff, turning to the other ponies, “Sorry, darlings, but that was just going to get worse before it got better.”

“No argument here.” said Twilight, who smiled at Cheerilee, “That was very nice of you to say, Cheerilee, but you didn’t have to go on like that. I’m no hero… we all did it together.”

Cheerilee smiled warmly, “I meant it.”

Rarity nodded, “So did I! I also meant what I said when I said I have to go, so…”

"Here’s the book!” Spike said suddenly, hopping off the ladder and handing it to Cheerilee.

“Oh thank you Spike!” she said, taking the book. She hesitated, saying, “I guess I should go to, I’ve taken up enough of your time…”

Twilight shook her head “Not at all, Cheerilee, you can always-“

“Twilight is it okay if I take a break now?" Spike interjected, trying to signal Rarity with his eyes. "I have some... errands to run. I’ll be quick"

"Hmm…” Twilight thought out loud, “I guess so, although that means I’ll have to stay down here in case somepony comes to the library…"

“Cheerliee! Why don't you keep Twilight company?” Spike spoke up. “You two could discuss book three, until I get back."

The two ponies looked at each other.

"Well... I am curious to know what you thought about a few parts.” Cheerliee admitted.

Twilight brightened up at that, “That would be great!”

Spike was sure something was up now. He kept trying to signal Rarity, who was occupied as she tried to fit the book back in her bag. After several false starts, the bag fell out of her hooves and onto the ground. She groaned out loud, “This STUPID book…”

"Actually Rarity, why don't I walk you back to your boutique? I can carry your bag and you can carry the book"

Rarity hesitated. She needed the help, but she also didn't want to make Spike use his break to keep working. (Unless of course he insisted...)

"Are you sure, Spike? It's awfully heavy."

"I insist!" He nodded and winked at the same time, several times, again trying to get his message across.

Twilight arched an eyebrow, wondering what Spike thought he was achieving with his poor pony’s version of a chicken impression. "I thought you had errands?"

"They're on the way! C'mon Rarity-" and Spike grabbed the bag and ran out the door.

Rarity chuckled and smiled at the other two ponies. "Ever the gallant knight. Good afternoon, Ladies!" and she walked out the door, past a still frustrated Blue Bonnet who was arguing with another delivery pony. They waved her out, and were left with each other.

Twilight smiled. "Well that settled that. How about I get some lemonade? "

"Sure!" Cheerilee replied, "Do you need some help?"

"No thanks, it'll just take a second. Make yourself comfortable," she started for the kitchen and added over her shoulder, "and if anypony shows up trying to deliver more gym equipment, I still didn't order any."

Cheerilee laughed and settled into a chair, looking around the main part of the library. The sun streamed in through a window and reflected off the brass bindings on the wooden bookshelves. It was so peaceful, so comforting here...

Twilight called from behind the Kitchen door, "Raspberry flavor okay?

Cheerilee called back, "It's perfect." She then smiled and closed her eyes. "Perfect." She repeated, quietly and to herself.

Outside, she could just barely hear two ponies shouting:

“I told you there’s no Eip Eiknip in Ponyville!"

“Well then, YOU read it, Caramel!”

Author's Note:

Blue Bonnet is allegedly a real pony.

http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_ponies/Earth_ponies