• Published 23rd May 2013
  • 9,251 Views, 856 Comments

Adorkable Love - Einhander



Rarity figures out that Cheerilee has a crush on Twilight, and that Twilight is oblivious. Rarity decide to play matchmaker. And Blue Bonnet is the worst delivery pony. Nothing can posi-blie go wrong.

  • ...
33
 856
 9,251

XI: Love is Blindness

ADORKABLE LOVE

By: Einhander

Pre-Read by: Cola Bubble Gum

Edited by: The best damn editing team in pony business, aka TheLastBrunnenG, Space Commie


CHAPTER 11: LOVE IS BLINDNESS


Carousel Boutique was where magic happened. That’s what Rarity always told her herself. It was also what she told her customers, especially when she was making up a design as she went along. So it was now, working in front of Cheerilee and Apple Bloom, that she repeated her mantra.

“Well, o’course, Miss Rarity.” Apple Bloom said. “Yer a unicorn.”

Rarity winced. “Yes, well, there is literal magic, yes, but I’m not talking about that.” She levitated a roll of white fabric and began to roll out a sheet in front of her face. “Take a look at this.”

“Yep. It’s floatin’ because of yer horn. That’s the magic, right?”

Closing her eyes in frustration, Rarity gritted her teeth and tried to think of something to say that wasn’t a swear word. Foals had their purpose and she knew she must have been one once, but Celestia give her strength, they tried her patience. She thought of that old saw: Deep down, every mare wants to be a mother.’ So said her mother and her grandmother, and she didn’t deny that sometimes she had… impulses. But five minutes with her sister or her sister’s friends shredded her nerves to the point of never wanting to see a filly again, much less raise one.

Fortunately, she had an expert on hoof to deal with the filly.

“Apple Bloom, Miss Rarity is trying to teach you something.” Cheerilee smiled at Apple Bloom. “Just like when your Granny came in and told us all about the history of Ponyville. I’m sure she’ll be willing to answer all your questions when she’s done, so just be patient, okay?”

Apple Bloom looked thoughtful for a moment, then nodded and smiled. “Okay, Miss Cheerilee!”

Rarity’s furrowed brow relaxed just a bit, but it was worth a thousand hooficures. “Many thanks, dear.” She admired how Cheerilee always found the kindest, sweetest ways of telling foals to shut up. Not only did they obey, but they did so willingly, without any whining whatsoever. That was also magic, without, of course, any actual magic.

Focus, Lady Rarity, her mind chastised her. Dress? Cheerilee? Twilight’s happiness?

Right.

“You see, Apple Bloom, I’m levitating this rather plain white fabric here, muslin, nothing too terribly fancy. Yes? But the key thing is that as common as this fabric is, it’s real. No pony, not even, say, the princess’s prize pupil--” she grinned at Cheerilee, who rolled her eyes but in a good-hearted way-- “could make fabric like this.”

“Well, that’s not true. I’ve seen Twilight create-” Apple Bloom stopped mid-interruption under Cheerilee’s stare, which communicated more with an arched eyebrow than any lecture could. “Er. Sorry, Miss Rarity. I’m listenin’.”

“That’s just the point, Apple Bloom.” Rarity floated a pair of scissors and cut off two sheets, then replaced the roll in one of her baskets. She stared at the two pieces of white in the air, then at Cheerilee, then back at the fabric. “We’ve all seen Twilight do amazing things. She can lift things out of air, she can teleport, she can enchant. She can conjure fantastic things, but she cannot create. At least nothing that lasts.” Rarity laid the pieces of fabric on her work table gently. “Magic can turn a rock into an orange, but Twilight will be the first to tell you, you wouldn’t want to eat it.”

“And magic can give you a cutie mark…” Cheerilee winked at Apple Bloom, “But not one that’ll stick.”

“That’s true.” Apple Bloom lowered her head, sheepishly. “Ah learned that the hard way.”

Rarity went back to the copy of The Great Gallopsy, staring at the front cover. The drawing of the Follies era mare was quite stunning, as was her coquettish gown. She looked again at Cheerilee, squinting. “But here! In my little home, a pony’s imagination can meld with the physical world. Fabric can become a stunning gown, sure to steal the eyes and… other parts... of stallion and mare alike. And, for my bits, that is real magic. When the illusion becomes real.” She waved her hoof at Cheerilee to get her attention. “Can you turn to the left, dear? No, my left. There we are. Stand still, if you don’t mind.”

Cheerilee nodded, and stared ahead patiently. Apple Bloom giggled. “Yer like a model, Miss Cheerilee! Just like how Miss Shy was, for a little bit.”

Blushing, Cheerilee said nothing. Rarity smirked. “She is not ‘like’ a model, my dear Apple Bloom. She is modeling, as we speak.” She floated her measuring tape up to her eye line. “Now, Miss Cheerilee, take a breath, relax. Rarity will take it from here.”

Cheerilee exhaled.

“And don’t move an inch.”

Cheerilee tensed again, then nodded again, slowly.

A tiny quill and parchment floated next to Rarity, taking notes as she determined the mulberry mare’s measurements. Neck. Legs. Tail. And the most awkward for any pony, unless their last name was Lis (Fleur De), their middle. Rarity focused and magically spun the measuring tape around Cheerilee’s stomach and back. She felt the mare breathe and try to hold in her tummy, and Rarity quickly shook her head and placed a hoof on her model’s shoulder. Cheerilee looked unsure, but after a few beats of looking in Rarity’s eyes, she exhaled again, letting her stomach distend. Rarity smiled and gave a slight nod, writing down the numbers.

For a few moments, a blessed silence reigned over the Carousel Boutique, punctuated only by the scratching of quill on parchment. The quiet was then dethroned by Apple Bloom.

“This is boring. Can ah help?”

Rarity briefly considered the ramifications of binding and gagging her best friend’s sister. There would be consequences, perhaps even an arrest. But in this moment, right now, it felt like it was a viable option.

Thankfully, the professional intervened again. “Rarity, is your sister around?” Cheerilee asked.

Rarity hesitated. “She… should be?” A dull panic ticked the back of her throat. She realized she hadn’t seen Sweetie since coming back to the house after the Pinkie incident, which was well before she had been woken up by Cheerilee.

“Oh, Sweetie’s here? Yeah, ah’ll just go hang out with her. Sorry, Miss Rarity, but your kinda magic is borin’.”

“Apple Bloom.” Cheerilee frowned. “That was a little rude.”

Apple Bloom’s ears drooped. “But I was just bein’ honest, like you teach us, and ah said sorry…”

With a weary wave of her hoof and a sigh, Rarity said, “It’s alright, Apple Bloom. Fashion isn’t for everypony. It should be, but, it isn’t.” She pointed up. “Sweetie should be upstairs.”

The filly grinned, then started up the stairs. She stopped halfway and turned. “Don’t leave without showin’ me that dress!”

“Don’t worry, Apple Bloom.” Cheerilee winked. “I won’t leave you hanging.”

Apple Bloom grinned, then bounded up the stairs. “Thanks, I’m gonna-” There was a loud gurgle, and her face dropped. She rubbed a hoof over her stomach. “I’m gonna need the little filly’s room. Like, right now. Ms. Rarity, uh-”

“Up the stairs, to the left.”

Apple Bloom nodded gratefully and ran as fast as her legs would carry her. There was a door slam, followed by a frantic clicking as the door locked behind her.

The age of silence returned. Rarity sagged with relief and continued with her work. In truth, there wasn’t much else to do. After a few more measurements, she sang, “All doonnne!” and returned to her work bench.

“That’s it?” Cheerilee blinked.

“For now, yes.” Rarity floated a ruler over to her desk, and started drawing. “I’ll need you for the fitting, of course, but for right now, relax. Take a load off! I’m just going to sketch for the moment. Shall I have Sweetie get you get some tea?” Rarity frowned. “Wait, no she can’t. I’ve used it all. Drat.”

“That’s okay, Rarity. I think I’ve had enough caffeine for today.” She stared at herself in the mirror. “If I can ask, how long should it take? Do you want me to come back later?”

“Nonsense, darling. I’m already sketching as fast as I can put pen to papers. Just relax.”

Cheerilee laid down on the cushions near the mirrors and looked around the room uncomfortably. Her eyes settled on copy of Gallopsy. “Do you mind if I read?”

“Not at all, but I’ll have to ask you to continue to read from that spot. I need you standing there for reference.” Cheerilee nodded agreeably, retrieved the book and returned to the vanity. The various mirrors showed Cheerilee at all angles, happily opening the book.

Silence was filled with scratches and flipping pages.

Three different sheets floated in front of Rarity, each with a different version of the same idea. Rarity watched kept alternating between the pieces of paper and Cheerilee, who was herself alternating between reading the book and glancing at herself in the mirror. Shaking her head, the designer returned to her three sketches and tried to focus.

Her mind and eye kept wandering back to the schoolteacher. Cheerilee was turning her head, looking at herself from several angles. It looked like she was grading herself, and coming up with C's and D's.

Classic case. The slight grimaces, the tiny sighs. She can't see what she actually looks like.

Like you every day in the mirror, darling?

She frowned. Her mind had a pesky way of always turning her analysis back on her.

It's one thing to put effort into how one's look, it's another to be blind to one's natural beauty.

That's the same speech your mother gave you every time you asked for beauty products as a filly.

She gritted her teeth and started sketching faster.

"I love this book." Cheerilee said, breaking the silence.

"Yes, isn't it wonderful!” Rarity agreed, perhaps too loudly and quickly. “The descriptions of the gowns, the parties. And such a happy, romantic story!"

Cheerilee stared at her. "Do you remember how this book ends?"

"Er." Rarity faltered. "The stallion gets the mare? It's been awhile, I admit."

"It's romantic, but, I wouldn't call it happy." She shook her head and flipped through the pages, certain paragraphs catching her eye and making her smile. "Still, for a little while anyway, Gallopsy and Daisy Bloom are happy. Before it all gets out of hoof. You spoke of illusion earlier? It’s the contrast between illusion and truth, that’s what makes this a classic.” She sighed, closing the book and holding up to inspect the cover, both front and back. “Life doesn't always end happily, and we need stories that remi-" She looked over the top of the book and notice Rarity smiling at her warmly. "Sorry. I was rambling, wasn't I?"

She shook her head. "You just sound like her. I can hear it in your voice. That love of the written word."

Cheerilee shrugged. "You have your idea of real magic, I have mine. A colt gets an idea in his head from a book, or a kind mentor, they can grow up to move mountains."

Rarity sighed. "Sweetie certainly thinks she can. On a daily basis."

Cheerilee giggled. "And how wonderful is that?"

Rarity stopped sketching and smirked. “Now I want you to keep that bubbly feeling, and just imagine Twilight feeling the same thing when she sees you in one of… these!” She turned the canvases around dramatically, and spread her hooves wide. “Voila! Three different, but totally you styles. I’ve been brainstorming them since you walked through my doors! Pick whichever one you like, and we’ll get to work!”

Cheerilee paused for a little too long, then nodded. "They all seem fine. Which one do you like?”

A shudder went up and down Rarity's back. She gritted her teeth, face turned away as she tried to keep her tone chipper. "Cheerilee, what's the worst sound you can imagine?"

"Well... The tip of a hoof on a chalkboard, probably."

"Yes, that sounds right. So it is with me when I hear the word 'fine'." She swiveled, her face smiling now but her words sharp. "No pony ever conquered a kingdom because of ‘fine’. No fashion eras were born from 'fine'. And no hearts were won because a gown was ‘fine.’"

Cheerilee backed up a step. "I... Don't hate them?"

"Hate would be better!" Rarity boomed. "Hate is just love reflected, it gives me a starting point. Talk to me. What is wrong with-"

"They all remind me of my wedding day!" Cheerilee shouted. She immediately put a hoof over her mouth, trying to cage the words, but it was too late.

Rarity stumbled, the reply causing her legs to momentarily turn to noodles. "Wedding? You? But I. When?"

Cheerilee arched an eyebrow. "Really?" Her voice oozed skepticism. "You of all ponies didn't hear about the day your sister and her friends drugged me and I almost married Mr. Macintosh?"

White became bright pink. Rarity forced a laugh. "Oh hahaha, that regrettable incident? That was a lark, a thing everypony laughs about later! I only heard about it after the fact. It wasn't real." Rarity stopped laughing. "What do you mean, 'me' of all ponies?"

"I had a veil. From your boutique. I was trying on dresses. From your boutique. And I would have stampeded my students to see his eyes, which I actually pretty much did, after kicking down the door of your boutique.” Cheerilee was smiling, but there wasn't any humor in it. "It felt real."

“Ah. Yes.” Rarity bit her lip. “I was out of town that day, you see. Came home to find my boutique in tatters, which, to be fair, is usually the story of a Tuesday around here.”

Cheerilee’s sigh filled the air. "It was the closest I've ever been to the altar.”

Rarity tried to rally. “But really, Cheerilee, I don’t see how any of these designs could… remind you of…”

Oh dear.

One was bride-ready white. The second had a veil, and third was, admittedly, flowy and but for the color wasn't too far off from a wedding gown.

Well done, Rarity. You've failed as a designer, matchmaker...

"Maybe this was a mistake." Cheerilee sighed.

...and as a friend.

"I'll just go au natural. I still have my flowers." She looked at herself in the mirror. "That'll be enough, I suppose."

I'm not done yet! She snapped at her mind.

"The flowers! The one in your mane, yes? Tell me about them.”

“Oh. Well.” Cheerilee looked at herself in the mirror again. "It's a purple night flower.” She gently propped it up with her hoof, careful of the wilting petal. “Isn't it a lovely shade?"

"Gorgeous," Rarity murmured, without much enthusiasm. "More. Tell me more."

"Well. They're very rare, because they only bloom by moonlight, and you can usually only find them in the mountains. Once they bloom, they last only three days in the sun, and while the petals wilt, the colors just get richer. Deeper." She smiled at the flower. "I don't know how Twilight got them for me, but, she sure knew how to get my attention."

“Mmm… yes…” Rarity was grinding her teeth again. “Anything else.”

“Um… I believe the scientific name is…”

"Ugh!" Rarity stomped her hoof.

Head drooping, Cheerilee muttered, "They're not for everyone."

"Sorry, no, that was rude of me." Rarity rubbed her temples. "The flower is perfect. It it is a true representation of your beauty and compliments your coat wonderfully."

Cheerilee tried to hide her blush, but Rarity's mirrors were everywhere. "It's just a flower."

"But that's just it- it is just a flower. An accessory. It's the cherry on top. I was hoping to find something to base the entire design on, it feels like something is there, but, alas." Rarity hung her head. "Nothing is coming. I'm sorry, dear."

"It's okay, Rarity." Cheerilee smiled. "I appreciate the effort, really, I do."

"But this should be simple for me!" Rarity pouted. "A dress for a pony's first date? It's 101, and I'm failing it."

"I mean... I’d be happy enough to wear the second one, just without the veil."

Rarity magically crumpled up all three pieces of paper at once, and tossed them in the direction of the dustbin. They missed and fell to the floor. She groaned with impotent rage. "'Happy enough' isn't good enough! You shouldn't wear it to please me, you should want to wear it to please yourself. And others, hopefully, but not the designer." She sighed. "It's just this commission! It's driving me mad, and I hoped designing something for you would break the logjam, but…”

“Commission? I don’t understand.”

“Well, I’ve been commissioned to make a gown by some pony- I'm not sure who, an anonymous fan with bits to burn- and it’s caused mind to come to a standstill.”

"A mysterious benefactor? How romantic!" Cheerilee smiled. "You must have been flattered."

Rarity sighed. "Yes,” she drew the word out as she said, magically floating a piece of paper out of her saddlebag, “and no. Here, take a look." She floated the note over, and Cheerilee took it in hoof and gave it a quick glance.

Dear Rarity:

I would like commissioning you to design and make a Foalish Follies Era gown inspired by my favorite book...

Cheerilee’s smile turned flat. Rarity watched as she went back the beginning and read it again, methodically. She clicked her tongue. "I don't want to read this note, I want to flunk it."

"Pardon?"

"Just... The typos, the, quite frankly, foalish attempt at grandeur. It feels like a letter in a story one one of my fillies would write for creative writing, or a fan letter to, I don't know, Soarin or some pony. Fine for a student, not the typos but the rest anyway, but for a full grown mare? Or stallion? Unless they had a child's mind or were deliberately..." She arched her eyebrows, the same look she gave to Apple Bloom earlier. "Excuse me for suggesting, but are you sure it's real?"

It was Rarity's turn to arch her eyebrows. With a flick of her neck and a glow of her horn, a desk drawer opened and a bag of gems floated out. She floated them over and dropped them in front of Cheerilee. "I'm not sure about our mystery guest’s grasp of grammar, but, whomever they are, they seem to understand math quite well."

Cheerilee scraped her jaw off the floor. "That's more than I make in a year."

"And I live sale to sale, darling. This is months and months of security, or perhaps even expansion, If I can get the commission right." She grumbled, looking at the crumpled up sketches, "And I can't seem to get anything right in the past few days."

Cheerilee's expression softened. "You’ve tried so hard to help me, maybe I can help you? She says she wants the Rarity touch, mixed with the era's style. What does she mean by your 'touch'?"

"I don't know! I used to be able to apply my 'touch' without thinking, but now that I’m thinking about it I have hit a wall. Mister Mystery Benefactor seems to think I should know what that means, and he’s offering me the chance of a lifetime... But I've got nothing after four days of brainstorming."

“Well… then why Gallopsy?” Cheerilee asked.

“No clue. The client wants it, so I went and got the book, and I’ve stared and stared at the cover, but, other than the look, nothing is coming to me.”

Cheerilee blinked. “The cover? Just the cover?”

Rarity nodded.

Cheerilee opened her mouth, closed it, opened it again, then looked away, embarrassed.

Rarity had an idea of what was coming. “Spit it out, darling.”

“Did you try re-reading the boo-”

“No!” Rarity wailed, head in her hooves. “I know it’s the obvious solution but no, dash it all, I have not. There just hasn’t been time! I’ve been distracted!”

Cheerilee looked at the book, then back at Rarity. Her face looked more scrunched up and puzzled than before. “Rarity, this is the most important commission of your career, right?”

Rarity thought about it for a moment. “I suppose so, yes. So far, anyway. Financially, certainly.”

“What could be more important than this? What’s got you so distracted?”

The pause was heavy. Rarity looked at the mare in front of her, then dared a glance at a picture on the wall of her and her friends. Twilight in the middle, all of the rest of them around her. There was another picture of her with just her and Twilight, relaxing at the spa. Another, with her and Spike, smiling away. She murmured, “Something important. Something that can’t be bought.”

Cheerilee laughed. “Ahh. Say no more. Shouldn’t you be focused on your dress to the party, instead of mine? Surely you want to show off for special somepony.” Rarity didn’t respond. Cheerilee quickly added, “Or, special somepony to be? In waiting? Something like that?”

Rarity shook her head. “It’s more complicated than that, but I appreciate the thought. There is something you can do for me, though, and maybe then I can do something for you.”

“Anything!” Cheerilee smiled. “You’ve been so kind. What is it?”

Rarity took a breath. “Can you summarize the plot of the The Great Gallopsy to me quickly? Just the major points. Spoilers are fine.”

Cheerilee’s eyes went wide. Her mouth dropped open in shock, then her eyes melted from frozen to slushy disappointment. “Rarity, you said you read it. You really don’t remember any of it?”

“I may have only… skimmed it in school. In fact, I’m pretty sure I only skimmed it. Or saw the play version. I can’t remember.”

The mucky disappointment in Cheerilee’s eyes turned to simmering frustration. “You skimmed it. You saw the play.”

Rarity waved her hooves, “I’m sorry! I wasn’t the best student! I remember the chapters about the parties, and there’s a pegasi mare named Daisy! That’s all!”

Cheerilee stomped her hoof. “She’s a unicorn, first of all, and-”

“I’ll read it! I’ll read it later, I promise! Just- I need the gist of it, so I can clear my head!”

The stare of fury burned for a few more moments before the flame went out, replaced by a tired gaze. “Fine. Although giving one the ‘gist’ of one of the most powerful books ever written is, goodness, I don’t even know where to start.”

Rarity sat, patiently. “I shan’t forget this kindness.”

“Right. Okay.” Cheerilee took a breath. “Ignoring all the very relevant context and social commentary, it’s the story of Gallopsy, a very rich earth pony who is in love with a unicorn named Daisy Bloom…”


Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo stood in front of the Carousel Boutique. Hesitating.

“Sweetie, just knock. It’s gonna rain soon.”

Kicking the ground, Sweetie grumbled. “You knock.”

“She’s your sister!” Scootaloo said.

“Yeah, and who do you think is gonna get in trouble from her? Not you!”

Scootaloo sighed. “Fine, fine. I’ll ring it.” She reached up when she felt a hoof on hers.

“No, it’s… You’re right. She is my sister.” She gently moved Scootaloo’s hoof down, and looked at her friend. “You’ve already done enough for me today.”

“Hey, you know.” Scootaloo shrugged. “No big deal.”

Sweetie Belle shook her head. “It was, Scootaloo. I can’t thank you enough. You saved me.” She smiled awkwardly. “You’re my, uh, white knight. I guess.”

Scootaloo blushed. “Sorry I sorta lied about the mark on your face.”

“Well, you’re not the one who caused it. C’mon, let’s face the music.” She reached up and knocked on the door.

They heard muffled voices. A voice that Sweetie recognized as Rarity’s said, “Do not move! I must know what happens after that dreadful fight at the Plaza!” Then the front door opened, and with it came the standard greeting: "Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where the- oh, Sweetie Belle!"

She walked past Rarity quickly, trying not to draw attention to her face. "Hi sis..."

"Wait... I thought you were upstairs..." Rarity's surprise quickly became suspicion as she gave Sweetie Belle (and Scootaloo behind her) a once over. "Where in Equestria have you oh sweet Celestia your face!!"

Sweetie cringed as her sister went into predictable hysterics. She glanced around the room, seeing a similarly miserable Scootaloo, and a shocked Cheerilee.

“Sweetie Belle, oh my goodness,” her teacher said, running over, “What happened to you? Who did this?”

"I fell-"

"She hit-"

The fillies paused and looked at each other.

"I fell and hit my face." Sweetie Belle said slowly, maintaining eye contact with her friend who nodded subtly as she spoke. "But I'm okay now."

“Fell?” Cheerilee asked, eyebrow arched.

"Fell?!” Rarity gasped. “From where? Where in Equestria have you been?!" Rarity narrowed her eyes. "Why didn't you tell me where you were going?"

Sweetie cringed, looking down and hoping a solution was somewhere on the ground of the Carousel Boutique. Amazingly enough, there was: hoof prints, the scourge of Rarity's soul, leading in and out of the shop. She was pretty sure among the offending smudges she recognized Rarity's tracks. It was worth a shot...

"You weren't here." Sweetie said. "I went out to find you."

Scootaloo and Cheerilee's heads swiveled towards Rarity, who stared at her sister open mouthed. "But I... Surely I was only out for a few minutes, or an hour or..."

Rarity’s eyes seemed to glaze over. Sweetie held her breath.

If this doesn’t work I am so-

"Oh Sweetie, I'm so sorry!" Rarity wailed. "I thought it was only a moment, but it's been so crazy today!” She hugged her sister. “I’ll never let this happen again! I promise!”

“It’s okay, Rarity.” Sweetie chimed, smiling like a filly with a full bag of candy on Nightmare Night.

“I’ll make it up to you, dear. We’ll go out for ice cream later, but right now I have to do some work for Miss Cheerilee. Do you mind terribly going upstairs?” She broke off the hug and pointed up the stairs. “Apple Bloom is in the little filly’s room, but she’ll be out soon.”

“Sure!” Sweetie grinned at Scootaloo, who winked back at her. "Sounds good."

Sweetie was smiling, Scootaloo was smiling, even Rarity was smiling.

Cheerilee wasn't.

She stood in front of the stairway, face carefully neutral. "Sweetie Belle, a question." She stared the filly down. “You fell, right?”

Sweetie clammed up. Something about Cheerilee’s gaze made her want to confess right there. Scootaloo put a hoof on her shoulder, steadying her.

“Uh… yeah.” Scootaloo said. “I was there. That’s what happened.”

“Uh huh.” Her eyes shifted from filly to filly, then she glanced up at Rarity. “Rarity, do you think you have enough of the plot to go on for now?”

“Hm? Oh, actually, yes. I think I have enough notes to patch a sketch together, and then we can work on yours. Although I simply must hear how the story ends. In any event, do you mind waiting a teensy bit longer?”

“Not at all. In fact.” She turned back to the fillies, eyes deadly serious. "Sweetie, why don't we go upstairs and wait for her together? We can play a board game.”' Sweetie Belle opened her mouth to respond, but was cut off when Cheerilee snapped her head towards her and added, "And I can take a look at where you fell. You too, Scootaloo. Your hoof looks like it ‘fell’ too.”

Sweetie and Scootaloo’s heads immediately went down to Scootaloo’s hoof that had previously been used to knock down Tiara. Sure enough, it had a red mark on it too. Sweetie groaned, they hadn’t even thought about checking Scootaloo for evidence of their scuffle.

"That's a splendid idea!" Rarity chirped, back on top of the world. "And girls, make sure she doesn't come down until I'm ready for her."

"S-sure."

"Right."

The two fillies walked slowly, past their teacher, aware that every move was under her watchful eye.

Scootaloo whispered, "There's no way she-"

"Ssh!" Sweetie Belle hissed. She was racking her brain the entire way up the stairs towards her room.

Distract, delay, do something, Sweetie...

Nothing came.

They entered her room, and Cheerilee closed the door behind them. She looked around the room- a simple home away from home, one window, one bed, and a shelf with various toys and books. Scootaloo looked out the window, and Sweetie sat on her bed. Both were actively looking away from Cheerilee. Unfortunately, they had Cheerilee’s undivided attention.

“So… we’re going to play a game?” Sweetie asked hopefully.

“Yes.” Cheerilee said, flatly. “It’s called ‘tell the truth’.”


Rarity sighed. In truth, while she found Cheerilee’s summary quite entertaining, she hadn’t cracked the code at all. She felt the sadness in the story, and she saw the beauty of the descriptions of the world. The wonderful friendship the the narrator, Nicker Carrageway, developed with the millionaire Gallop Gallopsy was quite moving. But for the life of her (and maybe it had something to do with Cheerilee’s description), she couldn’t understand the fondness Gallopsy had for the unicorn Daisy Bloom.

She half heartedly summoned her fainting couch and sat on it, staring at the book in her hooves.

Think, Rarity. Think.

The characters and their various names and fates floated around her head. It would be helpful to know the actual ending. She had enough to go on, but not enough to understand.

Daisy was, according to Cheerilee, written as the most beautiful mare in the world. But to Rarity she seemed such a fickle little filly, ready to dash off and marry the royal Unicorn when Gallopsy had to go to war, only to come rushing back to him when he returns, only to break his heart at the end- assuming, as Cheerilee implied, there was no happy ending. And even if there was a happy ending, she didn’t see it as actually happy. Daisy would just break poor Gallopsy’s heart again. Elegant she might look, and indeed the cover of the book depicted a very regal unicorn in a dazzling Foalish Follies dress, but her insides were all glass. Cold, shiny, and easily breakable.

Rarity considered herself a lady, and after having met an actual prince, knew there was more to it than just the title and the look. Once she had gotten to know the prince better, she had demolished her glass slipper purposefully just so there was zero chance that particular fairy tale ending could ever come true. And for Daisy to throw away Gallopsy (even if he was a cider bootlegger) for a blue-blooded rogue like Buckcannon… well, a title and bits weren’t everything.

Why, if I ever met a Gallopsy, no matter his title or race or the money in his saddle bag, if I met a true gentlecolt with grace, chivalry and a kind and generous heart, I’d sweep him off his hooves before he knew what-

“Oh.”

She blinked, staring again at the back cover of the book. Gallopsy stared out at her.

“Oh my.”

How had she not noticed him before? He was depicted in the same style as the corresponding illustration of Daisy on the cover. Only instead of enigmatic eyes and neutral expression, there was a winning smile. Just like…

Earth pony. Kind, generous. Gallant. Warm. Lovely laugh. And the bits, of course, she doesn’t have quite the resources but Twilight doesn’t care about that. The only real difference is gender.

She squinted and floated a piece of paper over the back cover, tracing the design slowly with a thin pencil. She followed the dress outfit exactly, but for the body itself, instead of straight lines and square angles, she drew curves.

Hooves shaking, she tilted her head, and magically grabbed two purple crayons. She began shading in the body with one, the suit with the other.

A few pencil slashes later--after all, it wasn’t a costume party, it was still a dress-- she stood back, admiring her handiwork. This was a dress for a lady, or in this case, a friend. Who had a date with a friend.

She heard a chirp, and glanced towards the window. Rain clouds were gathering, and the two little crickets from before were scratching at the window to be let in. She opened the window with her magic, and smiled benevolently at them as they hurried in before the rain fell.

“Welcome to Carousel Boutique, my little darlings.” Her smile was as big as the moon. “Where Rarity is back in the game.”


Cheerilee stared her students down. She rarely liked playing at police pony, although the job often called for it. She especially didn’t like doing it with some of her favorite students. But a lie was a lie, and she knew these fillies were lying.

"I just have one question, Sweetie Belle. This thing you happened to fall and hit your face on... Was it a hoof?"

Sweetie's face lost what little color it had, as well as it's forced smile. "N-no, it was a branch..." She sputtered.

"That's strange." Cheerilee was speaking very calmly, which somehow made her very serious eyes that much more very serious. "Because it sure looks like a hoof."

"Nope! Definitely a branch. Saw it with my own two eyes." Scootaloo's voice was overflowing with confidence. "Yep. She fell out of the tree house and hit a branch."

Scootaloo had a better poker face than Sweetie Belle, and she was using it now. Unfortunately for both of them, Sweetie's resolve was no match for Cheerilee's skeptical eyebrow. And nothing undermines a two pony con job like one pony losing their nerve.

"Two choices, girls. Come clean to me, or we'll go talk to Rarity about this." Cheerilee leaned close to Sweetie, so that they were practically snout to snout. "I don't know your sister all that well, but I think you'd rather deal with me."

Scootaloo reached for her friend's hoof, shaking her head. But it was too late. Sweetie lowered her head and sniffed, "She was just being so mean..."

"Who?"

Scootaloo sighed, tension visibly draining out her legs "Diamond Tiara."

Cheerilee's eyes went wide. "She did this?"

The words tumbled out. "She was so nasty to Silver Spoon and me and saying such awful things about..." Sweetie hesitated, breathing shakily as the tears started falling. "And then I said her Dad would be ashamed of her and then she just jumped me!"

"Wait, what-"

Sweetie kept going: "And she was just hitting me and hitting me and I said stop but she didn't and then..."

Cheerilee ran over and hugged the filly. "Sssh, it's okay, it's okay." Sweetie sniffled as hugged back tight. Cheerilee sighed and continued to hold her. "It's okay. What nasty things? What was she saying?"

"She called you a fillyfooler." Scootaloo said simply. Cheerilee froze. Scootaloo continued. "She called you a ‘dirty fillyfooler’ and said she was going to try and get you fired."

Cheerilee's throat was suddenly a desert, where very few words could grow. "Is that true?" she asked Sweetie, voice cracking. Sweetie nodded. She turned back to Scootaloo. "What then?"

"Then I punched her in the face. Twice." Scootaloo looked at Cheerilee defiantly. "And don't ask me if I'm sorry. 'Cause I'm not."

Cheerilee aged five years in a single moment. Her ears drooped. "Oh, Scootaloo."

"She was hurting my friend! She was talking about hurting you! I had to do something." Scootaloo looked away, shaking. "I'm not sorry. I'm not sorry. I'm not, I'm not. You can't hurt the ponies I - l care about."

Time seemed to stand still for Cheerilee. She stared into the distance for she didn't know how long.

"Miss Cheerilee?" Sweetie tapped her teacher's shoulder.

"You did that for me?" she softly replied.

Scootaloo shrugged, tears rolling down her face. "The first hit was for Sweetie. The second was for you."

Cheerilee sighed.

Sweetie knelt, hooves folded. "I know she was supposed to get an adult, but Big Mac was far away! There wasn't any time!" She rubbed her face. "She was really hurting me. Please don't be mad at us."

"I'm not mad, I'm..." She knew how the rest of the line was supposed to go, but she realized she wasn't disappointed. She was...

Proud? Scared? I don’t know anymore. Up is down, left is right. Her heart sighed. Buck it.

"Come here, both of you." The fillies looked at each other. Sweetie walked over first, Scootaloo reluctantly followed. Cheerilee wrapped her hooves around them both and sighed again. "You little ponies should be playing and laughing, not fighting my battles. They are my battles, you know? Not yours.”

“So…” Sweetie said carefully. “You are… you like mares, right?” Scootaloo glared at her, and she added. “I mean, you don’t have to tell us if you don’t want to, but-”

“Yes.” Cheerilee said. She caught her own eye in Sweetie Belle’s mirror, and blinked at herself. For once today, the words were coming easily. “You fought for me, so I guess you have a right to know. I do like mares. I don’t know why, but, I think I always have.”

“Do you like any particular mare?” Sweetie asked, smile wide and head cocked.

“I’m positive you don’t have a right to know that.” She tried to glare at Sweetie, but the filly’s eyes were just so big and adorable. Her resolve melted. “But yes, Rarity’s making me a dress for a date with a particular mare.”

“And… this particular mare… has a name?” Scootaloo asked, looking away with feigned disinterest. “That, you know. We might know?”

“You two are just too clever for me.” Cheerilee’s tone was virtually arid. “Yes, she has a name.”

“Which is…?” Sweetie spoke, but both fillies were leaning in towards her.

Two competing thoughts entered Cheerilee’s head.

You know the last time these girls got anywhere NEAR your personal life…

The same girls who took on a bully in your name? Besides, do you really think Apple Bloom is going to keep your secret?

“I have a date with Twilight Sparkle.”

The squeeing. The squeeing could not be stopped. Cheerilee feared for all of the glass in the room.

“Oh my gosh, that is so AWESOME!”

“Miss Sparkle is the best! And that means all our- uh. I mean.” Sweetie cleared her throat. “We’re just so excited for you! We like her a lot!”

“Well, I like her too.” Cheerilee giggled. “Just try not to go around telling everypony, okay? It’s only a first date.”

Sure it is.” Scootaloo grinned. “No pressure. Just having Sweetie’s sister make a dress for it. No big deal.”

Smirking, Cheerilee nudged Scootaloo. “No pressure. Just going out with a mare that’s the Princess’s personal friend and student, and, oh right, she saved the world a few times. No pressure.”

“Yeah, but I’ve seen her get all freaked out over nothing.” Scootaloo waved her hoof in the air. “She worries like everypony else. I’m sure she’s at home right now, wondering what to wear or something dorky like that.”

Every mare wonders what to wear on a first date, Scootaloo. I don’t care who they’re going out with.”

“Not me! When I go on my first date, whatever pony I go with, mare or stallion, I’m just gonna wear a hat and not worry about the rest of it.” Scootaloo smiled and crossed her hooves, nodding serenely.

Cheerilee was at a loss. “Why a hat?”

“Why not?” Scootaloo shrugged. “Clothes are stupid anyway.”

“Um, Cheerilee?” Sweetie spoke up, a forced casualness in her tone. “Can I ask… what do you call yourself?”

“What do you mean?”

“As a mare who likes mares, what do you, you know, go by.” Scootaloo looked at her with a confused stare, and Sweetie blushed and looked away. “I'm just. You know. Curious.”

“The term, if it must be brought up at all, is a lesbian, but… Cheerilee. I just call myself Cheerilee.” A calm smile spread upon her face. “Why should I go by any other name? We don’t call mares who like stallions anything different.”

“Yeah!” Scootaloo said, tossing her mane back. “That’s right!”

“Girls, listen. I know you care about me, and that means more than... Well, it means a lot. For any pony, but especially a teacher. But this is adult stuff, and you'll have the rest of the life to deal with it."

Scootaloo frowned. "We're not foals, Miss Cheerilee"

"I know that, but don't be in such a hurry to be a mare, either. You can't turn back the clock." She ruffled Scootaloo’s mane. "And one day, you'll wish you could."

There was a silence. Rain started pelting against the window, causing them to look up. Scootaloo frowned. “Rainbow Dash didn’t say anything about rain today…”

“Cheerilee?” Sweetie asked.

“Mmm?” She was staring out at the rain, watching the drops lazily splat across the window.

“Are we going to get in trouble?”

Cheerilee turned to the filly. “With me? No. But in general? Probably.” Visions of Diamond Tiara flitted through her head. She shuddered. “No, definitely. ”

Scootaloo started ruffling her tiny wings. “But we didn’t do-”

“Yeah, we did, Scoots.” Sweetie Belle sighed. “I shouldn’a egged her on. And you should have just gotten her off of me, not, you know, decked her.”

“Twice. I decked her twice. And I’m still not sorry.”

Sweetie Belle smiled. “I know, but you better start practicing that fake apology now anyway.”

Cheerilee’s gave them both a look. “You know I can hear you, right? You should start practicing a real apology.”

Crossing her forelegs with a huff, Scootaloo groaned. “Fine.”

"Girls! Could I have your assistance downstairs?" Rarity's voice floated up the steps.

Cheerilee looked at her students. "Alright, girls, let's go see what we can see." She headed for the door with her young charges. Rarity's voice stopped her before she could reach it.

"Just the fillies! Miss Cheerilee, please remain upstairs for now."

Cheerilee sighed. This is all getting a little silly.

Her reservations faded at Sweetie Belle's grin. "Ooh, she wants to surprise you, I bet! C'mon, Scoots!" She sprinted towards the door and almost stripped over the frame.

"Slow down, Sweetie! Geez, what's the rush?" Scootaloo grumbled as she stood to follow her friend out the door.

“Scootaloo.”

The orange pegasus turned. “Yes, Miss Cheerilee?”

“You are a very brave filly, standing up for your friend like that.”

Scootaloo blushed. “Heck, Miss Cheerilee. It’s what any pony would do.”

“No. They wouldn’t.” Cheerilee’s eyes looked very old. “Trust me.”

They stared at one another. Scootaloo felt the muscles in her face quiver, and she tried not to let her emotions overtake her. “You’re a really good at what you do, you know that, Miss Cheerilee?”

“Why… thank you, Scootaloo.” She frowned. “You know I can’t let you off the hook entirely, right?”

“I know that. I figured that.” Scootaloo shrugged. “But I mean it. I know I complain about the homework and everything, but… I just think you should know, no matter what happens. I’m glad you’re my teacher.”

Cheerilee’s whole face seemed to get younger by the moment. “Thank you, Scootaloo.”

“Scoots! Ya gotta come down here!” Sweetie shouted from downstairs. “It’s so pretty!”

Scootaloo rolled her eyes. Cheerilee laughed. “Go on. I’m sure I’ll be down shortly.”

She smiled and dashed down the stairs, with the same abandon she chided Sweetie Belle for only moments ago. Cheerilee shook her head, putting the cards back together into the deck box. The rain continued outside unabated.

A spare thought kicked around her head: What did she mean, no matter what happens?


"Thank you, girls. Now, Cheerilee, stand still and move only when I tell you too.”

“Can I take this blindfold off?”

“Not yet. Girls, I thank you for your assistance, but I’m afraid I must ask both of you to go upstairs. I want her to see it by herself before she shows it to others."

“Aww! But you promised!”

“I promised you could see it WHEN and IF she was happy with it. Now, upstairs, both of you. I’ll call up when you can come down.”

Cheerilee heard grumbling and the trotting of hooves up the stairs. She gulped, trying not to be nervous.

“Try and relax, Cheerilee. Let my magic do the work. Hooves up!”

Cheerilee obeyed. Magic gently tugged at her hooves and she felt cool fabric flow over them.

"And there!" Rarity chirped, tying off the last stitch. "Voila! Gallopsy via Ponyville chic, such as it is. What do you think?"

"... still have the blindfold on, Rarity.”

"Oh yes. That." A quick flick of her head, and the blindfold was gone. She stepped back expectantly.

Cheerilee blinked back into the light, then stared at herself in the mirror. There was a sharp intake of breath.

"Oh, Rarity."

Rarity smiled proudly. It started with a barely off-white purple at the top, only to become deep deep violet at the bottom. It was sleek, it complimented Cheerilee’s dimensions perfectly, it was Foalish Follies era but also modern, and it rendered the client speechless.

"The fabric is from Saddle Arabia." Rarity cooed. "They have ways of making clothes that we don't even have words for yet. I was able to blend the colors with magic, various shades of purple to match all the color of your flower." She pointed to Cheerilee's hoof. "And the material! It feels like a cool breeze on the hoof when it moves. Go ahead, lift your hoof, see how it feels."

Cheerilee obeyed, rising and lowering her hoof, letting it fall to the ground. She stared down at the fabric, her hoof, then back in the mirror.

When more words weren't forthcoming, Rarity felt the need to fill the air. "It’s a rough first go, I admit, I’ll have to do some alterations. And there isn’t much to the gown, but you can't add to perfect material, you can only accessorize. On the other hoof, it's selective editing that turns a colorful rock to an eye-catching jewel, and if I may say it's-"

"Perfect." The word was fraught and choked out, and it was all Cheerilee had in her. Tears were running down her face and her crooked smile. "It's perfect."

Rarity beheld the conflicting signals and did not know what to do. Her hooves started to reach out for a hug but faltered midway. "Forgive me, are these sad-happy tears or sad-sad tears?"

Cheerilee turned, shaking her head, crooked smile dissolving into a puddle of emotions. "You have to understand." She sniffed. She turned to the mirror and tilted right and left, watching herself turning in the mirror. "I've just never looked like this."

Rarity grinned. "At the height of fashion, give or take a few decades?" She chuckled at her own joke. "Everything old is new again. You look beautiful."

Cheerilee shrugged. "But I've never looked beautiful. I've can’t remember the last time I even felt pretty."

The words speared Rarity's heart like a harpoon. She gasped. "Oh, no!" She grabbed Cheerilee's hoof. "No no no, darling."

“The last time I even felt adored, looked at in that way, I was under a spell, and when it was all over, I was in the bottom of a pit.” Cheerilee went on, trying not to cry. "But this makes me feel like... Maybe I could be? Pretty. I don't know. I’m being silly.”

"You are not silly.” Rarity turned her head and they were face to face. “You listen to me, Cheerilee. Every pony should feel pretty, every pony is beautiful. I know this is true, in my heart. I know it." She turned to the mirror, gesturing at their reflection. "Look at your colors, the fluffiness of your mane. The shape of your back, the way it curves with the dress just so. There is no pony like you, or me. Or Twilight."

"Or Twilight." Cheerilee repeated, staring at herself, hoof still in Rarity's. "They only made one Twilight Sparkle."

"Indeed. We are, all of us, one of a kind special editions." She smiled. "It's only fitting we wear the same."

There a moment of silence.

“What about the pony who paid for it?”

“Our mystery guest?” Rarity shrugged. “Maybe I’ll do another dress like this. Maybe something else. I still have time. I can afford another piece of fabric like this, if I can find one. You were my priority today. And also, quite frankly, this you’ve helped me break through! I feel like I could design a whole fashion line for the upcoming season in Manehatten now!”

“You belong there.” Cheerilee said. “Or Canterlot. The whole world should see what you can do. Just a little bit of fabric and I’m...” She twirled in her gown, giggling.

“Yes, well.” Rarity sighed. “One dream at a time. That’s what I keep telling myself. Before, all I asked for was my own place in Ponyville. I got it.” She glanced at the racks of unsold clothes, and lowered her head. “Even if the locals don’t appreciate my work quite like I hoped, one mustn’t be too greedy with wishes.”

Cheerilee was only half listening. "Do you think she'll like it? Twilight, I mean."

"If she doesn't, she's blind. Which is highly unlikely, given her perfect vis-oof!"

Cheerilee had grabbed Rarity's hoof and pulled her into a fierce hug, making soft sniffling sounds. Caught unaware, Rarity returned the embrace in a clumsy, flustered half hug, half attempt to keep breathing.

"How can I repay you?" Cheerilee whispered.

"Wear it." Rarity disentangled herself. "Enjoy it. Maybe dance a little in it. That's all I ask."

"But I can't accept this for nothing." Cheerilee pleaded.

Rarity shook her head and smiled. "Nonsense. It's a gift. Just give my friend a first date she'll never forget."

Cheerilee looked at herself in the mirror once more, smile fading. "Tall order. It's her first date, well, ever."

"Ever?" Rarity blinked.

Cheerilee nodded. "Ever."

Designer and client looked at the mirror together. Rarity could see the stress lines in Cheerilee's face. She leaned over and put a hoof on her shoulder. "Cheerilee, sometimes, good things just happen to ponies." She whispered, "I think you are a very good thing to happen to Twilight. And it seems like she is a very good thing to happen to you. And if it is meant to be, how wonderful that it started with this dress. And if not, well. At the very least, know this." She turned to face her new friend. "You. Look. Marvelous."

Warm laughter filled the Carousel Boutique. "I'll keep it in mind. Are you sure there's nothing I can do to repay you?"

Rarity shrugged, then added casually, "Well of course, if anyone asks, you could tell them where you got the dress." She paused. "Just don't tell them I gave it to you for free."

Cheerilee hugged Rarity again, smiling. "Deal."

"Wwwsspsst!" Came a voice from upstairs.

"Quiet, Sweetie!" Scootaloo hissed.

The mares shared a knowing, tired look and then glanced upwards at the two fillies trying to stay hidden and failing miserably.

"Sweetie, dear?" Rarity's voice was smooth as whipped cream, but there were knives just below the surface. "How long have you been up there, in express violation of what I told you to do?"

"We only saw the good parts, I swear!" Sweetie whined.

"It was all my idea, Miss Rarity! Don't be mad at her!" Scootaloo pleaded. "I just wanted to see the, uh, gown you made!"

Rarity's eyes narrowed. "Yes. Out of the two of you, it was little Scootaloo's idea to sneak a peek at a gown." She savored the sarcasm as it sloshed around her mouth. "Clearly."

"I couldn't help it, sis! It's just so beautiful, 'specially with Miss Cheerilee in it!"

"It's true, Cheerilee. You look, uh, stunning." Scootaloo coughed. Sweetie shot a her a look; Scootaloo glared right back. "What? You're not the only one who can think things are pretty! You know, sometimes!"

Sweetie giggled, and it made Scootaloo feel all warm and weird.

Rarity cleared her throat. "I'm sure I don't know why you are laughing. You are in trouble, young filly."

"Oh, I don't know Rarity." Cheerilee looked back at herself in the mirror. "I don't think anypony should be in trouble on a day as wonderful as today."

Rarity stared at Cheerilee skeptically, then dared to glance back at the fillies, who we wearing huge grins and giant foal eyes. The doorbell rang. Rarity sighed and pointed a hoof accusingly at Sweetie Belle. "You got lucky."

She trotted over and opened the door, her pitch automatic: “Welcome to Carousel Boutique, where every garment is- oh! It’s you.”

“Eeyup.”

Cheerilee froze.

“Mister… That is, Big Macintosh! What a surprise!”

Big Mac took two steps in, holding out a suit jacket, when he saw Cheerilee. He froze.

They stared at one another.

Rarity forced her mouth into the shape of a smile. “What can I. That is. Er. Do. For you?”

There was nothing but silence, horrible horrible silence.

Rarity’s face was frozen in a cross between a smile and a cringe. A sminge.

What I wouldn’t give for something to interrupt this awkward-

FLUSH.

A little filly’s wail filled the air. Rarity blinked. So did Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo from their upstairs perch.

FLUSH.

Rarity glanced upwards. “What in Equestria...?”

“Miss Rarity?” Apple Bloom’s voice floated down from upstairs, nervous and unsure. “Ah’m sorry, but, do ya got a plunger anywhere in this boutique?”

Author's Note:

There's a lot going on underneath Cheerilee's cheer. Also, this chapter is why I honestly feel Rarity is best pony, when Cheerilee's not available.

Also- in case you're wondering why there's time spent on Rarity pondering the plot of a mirror, pony version of the The Great Gatsby... I got reasons. Endgame reasons. Spinoff reasons.

Finally, the song I'm referring to is the Jack White cover of the song, not the U2 version.

I've listened to this song SO MANY TIMES creating this story. I finally get to use it as a title!