• Published 21st May 2013
  • 6,756 Views, 152 Comments

Under Our Wing - Kodeake



While on their Honeymoon, Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash receive word of tragedy back home. Now it is up to them to fix the shattered life of a young filly.

  • ...
20
 152
 6,756

Good Night, Sweet Prince.

Author's Note:

I'm so very sorry, everyone, but this is the end. This story's life has been long and full of so many problems. Two scrapped plans, entire chapters gutted and ideas thrown away and replaced in a haphazard attempt to tell a story I so desperately wanted to tell. But in the end, my desire to write this fic simply wasn't enough. What's left is a Frankenstein's monster of cobbled ideas and haphazard emotions. And so, Under Our Wing is officially cancelled. Below is everything I have written for the seventh chapter, and I'll include a brief outline of the rest of the story. At least what I can remember - my planning for this story was done in my notebook at school which has since been lost to the years since I started this project. in the three years since this project started I have improved at writing so very much, I couldn't keep going with this story without doing a full rewrite and at this point, with no plan and no idea where to go, a entirely new story would be needed.

Which will actually be happening. I hope to, in the future, write a new story with Twidash Scootadopt. But that is for a later time. For now, we say farewell to what was, for a long time, my most popular story.

Under Our Wing
Chapter 7
???

“Hey, Scootaloo...” Rainbow trailed off awkwardly, watching as the filly shifted beneath the sheets, wrapping herself deeper in their embrace. “C'mon, Scoots; I know you're awake.”

“Am not...” Scootaloo argued, her voice near silent. “I can't be awake... not if they're really...”

Rainbow sighed. “I'm sorry, Scootaloo...”

The filly stopped tossing and turning, coming to rest with her back turned to the two mares in the room. “Good for you,” she muttered.

“Scootaloo, we-” Rainbow started, but was stopped as a purple glow snapped her muzzle shut. She looked back at Twilight, who merely shook her head slowly. Begrudgingly, the pegasus followed her lead and sat back in the chair, biting her tongue.

Taking a breath, Twilight forced her voice to even out. “How was surgery? Do you know what they were doing?”

Scootaloo snorted derisively, ignoring the question and instead opting to push her head further into her pillow.

Sighing to herself, Twilight leaned back in her chair, watching the bed with a pensive frown. Rainbow glanced over uncertainly, but the unicorn simply held a hoof to her lips, motioning for silence. Hesitantly, Rainbow nodded, though she remained visibly tense as the seconds ticked by in silence.

The air grew thick with silence and, as much as she hated to admit it, Scootaloo didn't like it. She shifted, struggling to get comfortable, closing her eyes and praying for sleep. When that didn't work she grit her teeth. Eventually, a small voice came from beneath her covers; “I-it... was okay... they said something a-about... internal bleeding...”

Twilight allowed a small smile to spread her lips as she gave a victorious glance to Rainbow. “Everything went well then?”

Scootaloo nodded, rolling onto her back and staring up at the ceiling. “Y-yeah... the doctors were really nice...”

When silence once again descended upon the room, it was light, no longer stifling with tension. Even that grew on Scootaloo's nerves, however, and soon she was the one to start a conversation. “H-how... how was your honeymoon?”

“It was great, Scoots,” Rainbow answered slowly. “We had a massive cabin – more like a mansion, really – all to ourselves.”

Slowly, Scootaloo turned herself all the way over so she was looking directly at the two other ponies in her room. “Really?”

“Yeah,” Rainbow had to hold back a few tears as she saw the numerous bruises covering the filly's face, instead focusing on the question. “You should have seen it, Scoots; made almost entirely of crystal, just like the Crystal Empire itself. It was in this awesome valley, with a waterfall and river and everything! We even had a pool in the back!”

Scootaloo's eyes shone in awe, her mind conjuring an admittedly over-blown image of the cabin. “Did you have servants and everything?”

Chuckling, the older pegasus shook her head. “No, nothing like that. But the ponies who worked for the resort were really nice. We met this cool stallion and his kids. One of them might just give you a run for your money as my biggest fan, by the way.”

The filly rolled her eyes. “As if; nopony can be a bigger than than me, because I'm your...” she trailed off suddenly, the shine all but dying in her eyes. “Sister...”

“Oh, Scootaloo, we-”

The door swung open suddenly, cutting Twilight off mid-sentence as Doctor Stable strode in, clop board hovering in front of his muzzle. “Rainbow, Twilight,” he greeted distractedly, flipping a few patches before settling on the front one and finally lowering the board. He cleared his throat and settled his gaze on the filly in the bed. “Scootaloo.”

Scootaloo frowned at the doctor.

Noting her displeased look, the stallion lowered his head slightly. “I'm glad to see the surgery went well, and I must say; you're a very lucky filly.”

“Lucky?” She all but spat, her glare only hardening despite the tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

Either not noticing or not caring about her response, Doctor Stable continued, “Indeed. By all rights the fall into Ghastly Gorge should have killed you, and instead you get away with a concussion, a few cracked ribs, and a sprained wing as well as a minor gash on your head and other cuts and bruises.”

Scootaloo eyed the doctor carefully a moment before speaking. “That was the point,” she deadpanned. “I was supposed to die.”

In her chair, Rainbow bit her lip hard enough to draw blood in an effort to keep herself from crying, shifting in her chair. Twilight didn't even try to stop the tears at hearing the filly admit to such a thing.

“Really?” Doctor Stable asked, seemingly unfazed. “I don't think that's true, Scootaloo. Because you're a smart, strong filly. I don't believe for a moment you intended to jump when you went to the gorge. Do you want to know what I think?”

Scootaloo pursed her lips, averting her eyes from the doctor.

“I think it was an accident, Scootaloo. I think you went there to be alone – to think. And something happened.”

The filly sniffled and looked up to the doctor, meeting his eyes with her own, tear filled gaze. “H-how-”

The doctor held up his hoof, silencing her. When he lowered it, he offered only a kind smile. “I know you, Scootaloo, and I know you'd never, ever abandon your friends like that. Speaking of...” he trailed off and poked his head out the door. A moment later two other fillies came rushing into the room.

“Scootaloo!” They cried in unison, just barely holding back from hopping on the bed and tackling the pegasus.

“Sweetie... Apple Bloom... I...”

Doctor Stable smiled slightly and motioned subtly for Twilight and Rainbow to follow him. Hesitantly they left the fillies alone and the three stepped into the hallway, closing the door and taking a few steps down the hall to be sure they were out of earshot.

“Doc, how'd you know? That she didn't jump?” Rainbow asked, breaking the silence before it could grow too long.

The stallion sighed. “Princess Luna-”

“Can explain herself,” a regal voice cut in smoothly. “You have other patients, doctor. I trust you did as I said?”

“She admitted she didn't jump,” he said with a nod as all eyes turned to the Princess standing at the end of the hall. “But the poor filly was nearly in tears. Are you sure-”

Luna cut it again. “It is better to cry than to wish death upon one's self, no? But right now we have more pressing matters to deal with. Myself and the newly wed couple, specifically.”

With a hesitant nod and a sigh, Doctor Stable took the hint and turned away, calling over his shoulder, “Call me if Scootaloo needs anything.”

When the stallion disappeared around a corner, Luna focused her attention back on Rainbow Dash and Twilight, both still slightly shell shocked as the princess approached and stood before them. “You two... it is most unfortunate your honeymoon has ended in such a manor, but the situation cannot be helped. Right now Scootaloo needs you both, whether she will admit it or not.”

“Princess...” Rainbow started slowly, unsure of how exactly to go about asking her numerous question. “Why... why would Scootaloo lie? About.... about jumping?” she asked in a very small, almost timid voice.

Luna simply frowned. “Why do we do anything when grieving? While it is true that, before she fell, she had no true intention of jumping, after the fact... she may have come to accept her death. Yearn for it, even, and that thought has stayed with her even now. I've seen her dreams, and though greatly exaggerated, they tell of what happened that night. But that is not what we need to talk about right now.”

The princess paused and lit her horn. A moment later a small, pink envelope was pulled from her flowing mane and passed into Twilight's magic. The unicorn read the cover and her eyes grew wide as her telekinetic hold faltered, the letter dropping to the ground. “This-”

“Is from her parents,” Luna answered as Rainbow picked up the letter in a wing. “Sent before they boarded the train, likely delayed in the mail. It arrived just this morning.”

Rainbow frowned at the letter in her hooves before carrying it over to the princess. “Just how do you know about all this?”

“I watch of the realm of dreams, Rainbow Dash, and Scootaloo's have been particularly troubled the past few days. I know only has much as her nightmares tell me, and I would hardly be able to call myself a Princess of Equestria if I did not seek to aid a filly who lost her parents.”

“Does Celestia know?” Twilight asked, glancing back towards the door that lead to Scootaloo's room. “I'd... like to talk with her about something.”

Luna nodded. “Yes, my sister is aware of Scootaloo's situation. But Scootaloo's parents were not the only ponies who lost their lives on that train, and she has her hooves full. However, whatever my sister can do for you, I can do my best to match myself.”

Offering a thankful smile, Twilight nodded slowly. “Thank you, Princess Luna, but... I need to talk to Rainbow Dash about it first and...” she trailed off, looking to the letter tucked in the pegasus's wing. “I'll send you a letter later.”

The night princess nodded, giving a knowing smile. “Very well, but don't take too long. I hear they were going to discharge her tomorrow afternoon once they know all went well with the surgery. Make sure she gets that letter; I don't know what's in it, but it should help her.”

“Thank you, Princess,” both Rainbow and Twilight called as the alicorn gave a curt nod before turning and walking down the hall a short distance. Her horn lit up, and in a blinding flash she disappeared.

Twilight shuffled her hooves awkwardly, her eyes fixed on the letter. “So I guess we'd better-”

Holding up a hoof, Rainbow stopped Twilight's sentence. “You said you needed to talk to me about something?”

“Yes but...” Twilight sighed. “It can wait a little while. We should go make sure Scootaloo's okay and... I still need to think about it.”

Rainbow nodded after a moment of silent debate. “Alright, just don't forget about it. And don't put it off,” she added quickly, offering a small smile. “Now lets go; Scoots looked pretty upset when Luna pulled us out.”

Twilight gave a small sound of agreement and together they walked swiftly back down the hall, pausing at the door before taking a breath as one and pushing it open.

God that writing is awful compared to what I could do today. I'd also change quite a bit...... like a full-scale rewrite of this chapter, actually. Anyway, from here I was going to have Twilight obviously talk to Dash about adopting Scootaloo. Which would happen, also obviously. In the beginning Scootaloo would be mad; accusing them of trying to replace her parents. Scootaloo would get the letter, but we wouldn't find out what it said until much later in the story. Most of the chapters after this would focus on Scootaloo adjusting, the funeral of her parents being the tipping point to accepting Twilight and Rainbow. I had a really detailed plan for how that was going to go and honestly I was proud of it but for the life of me I can't remember how it was going to go. Anyway, Twilight at some point would suggest getting ice cream, which would make Scootaloo start sobbing. It is then revealed that the letter was her father promising that they'd go out for ice cream when they got back into town, as an apology for being gone so often. Yadda yadda, more adjusting as days go by and Scootaloo deals with holidays without her parents. Honestly I don't think even now I have the skill to properly write some of the emotional scenes. The story would end with Scootaloo getting ice cream with Twi and Dash. Believe it or not, one of the original plots for this story involved an anti-Celestia cult that would kidnap Twilight to get at Celestia and... yeah. It was going to be a little messy. Scootaloo was an orphan in that version, though.

However, this is the end of the line for Under Our Wing (The name is a reference to the name of the cult in the original version; Wings for the New Generation. I know I'm stupid). I'm so very sorry, everyone. I know a lot of people liked this story. But I just can't lie to myself anymore; it's not getting finished. So...

The End

Comments ( 10 )

AWWWW... and I liked this story!!!!!

6935075 see!? It getting featured is a sign that you should continue it!

7692829 I agree, he should have just put it on hiatus until he came up with ideas.

7693147 If Kodeake (or really, any author), does not feel the drive to continue a story, new ideas, no matter how plentiful, will never be formulated correctly. They can be awesome, and even sometimes well-written, but (coming from an author myself), you will never feel that they are right.

You start out with an idea, and over time, that idea changes. While others may like the change, the author may not, and if the author does not, the story cannot continue.

And yet another one ragequits

7694554
Ragequit might be a bit dramatic. More like... admitting defeat.

EDIT:
Holy crap you're the one who wrote irreplaceable. Literally the second fanfic I ever read. I never knew it migrated to FiMfic!

7694847 is there any hope for this fic? Will you ever continue it? And I'd not maybe you could re write it?

7694847 Aww, this was one of the stories I've been most looking forward to...

too bad this story was cancelled, I really enjoyed it

Login or register to comment