• Published 9th May 2013
  • 1,586 Views, 41 Comments

I Am Octavia - Matthias Ramsey



Octavia and Vinyl hit a rough patch in their friendship. Inspired by the song "I Am Octavia" by EileMontyVA on YouTube.

  • ...
2
 41
 1,586

Epilogue

Two years later...


Vinyl sat at the kitchen table, reading that day's newspaper. After their marriage a year and a half before, she and Octavia had moved to the outskirts of Ponyville, where they ran one of Equestria's most successful wineries. They donated most of their profits to charitable causes, and supplemented their income with tips from singing or playing music at local events.
Octavia came in. "Morning, Vinyl."
"Good morning, Octy."
"What are you thinking for breakfast, Vinyl?"
"Ahhh...egg whites and biscuits."
"That sounds lovely, Vinyl. Want to start the biscuits for me?"
"In a minute, I'm almost finished." Unbidden, Vinyl flipped to the obituaries. The headline shocked her.
Prominent Psychologist Rorschach Dies At 87
"Something wrong, Vinyl?"
"Rorschach died last night."
"Oh...that's sad."
"Wait, listen to this. 'One of the chief requests of his will involved the contents of a gift he received two years ago from a unicorn named Vinyl Scratch, seemingly as compensation of some kind: a pair of sunglasses and a voice message thanking him for his services. He requested that these be returned to the sender, along with a letter and a cassette tape.'"
"You gave him your sunglasses?"
"It was the most meaningful thing I could think of."


The letter and tape came a few days later. The tape contained a recording of their interactions at the train station ticket counter, and, at the end, a recording of "White Christmas" that Rorschach had apparently sang himself and a message saying "Thank you, Vinyl. You made an old man feel like he's done some true good in the world."

The letter read as follows:

My dear Vinyl,

You have brought me great joy with the letter you sent me. I can rest easy now knowing I've done some true good in the world.
Your message moved me greatly. I listen to it every day to make sure I don't forget what I've done.
I hope your Christmas is as wonderful as you've made mine.


With fondest regards,
Rorschach.

P.S.-Merry Christmas. Whatever happens, good luck.



END.

Comments ( 32 )

oh hey look, another 'I Am Octavia' inspired story xD... ive got one tiny blurb dedicated to that song too. Check mine while i check urs D

... dude... these feels i do not understand. They overwhelm me with D'AAWWWWS and SQUEEEE, and my fic in comparison lacks it. Ive taken the painful route rather... o.o

Although, as a tip, just combine all the chapters as one, with linebteaks for each section (or paragraphs for simplicity)... easier on my bandwidth and data usage

2550761 Yeah, I expected that someone would find something in there. I didn't reread it before I submitted it.
I'll try to fix it.

2551187 I'll see what I can do, but I did it that way because I felt like combining the chapters would lessen the effect.

2551162 What she was saying was that she had enough saved up. Winesap was offering in case she needed help renting an apartment.

2551152 I've got it ready to read later. I'll be sure to read it before I start my next one. Besides, I need to write a short song for it anyway.

I'm impressed. Usually, I shy away from stories with multiple short chapters, but this was very well done. It was sweet, heartwarming, and quite an enjoyable read. Bravo.

2551353 Thank you very much. And thanks for being my first follower!

2551380 Of course, you seem to be an interesting writer.

2551386 Thank you for saying so! The next one I'm doing isn't going to be as heartwarming as this. I'm going for heart-chilling this time.

Hey! Nice story! ima gonna hit the follow button :D
Check out my fic "Blizzard"

2551392 As does everyone else I communicate with on this site. (Really just you and two other guys) I have come to expect that people will write these things and I shall at least check it out. I can't exactly proclaim myself to be a huge fan of horror.

2551402 Sure thing! Not a problem!

2551403 Me neither. I am, however, a fan of dark stories.

2551411 Dark like Foal suicide, or Dark like murder of loved one?

2551416 Either, really. If it can make me cry (or want to cry) I tend to like it a lot and remember it.

2551734 Wow, I didn't expect someone to cry.
That's good though. Means I'm doing my job.

This....is the most beautiful, inspiring, well-written, heart-warming, spine-tingling, hoof-licking story ever!!<3 :pinkiehappy: I look forward to reading your other stories~
Somepony should invest in making this story into a brony-made episode, honestly!

2552403 Sweet Celestia, man. I didn't think it was THAT good...

2552414 Oooooh talented and modest, bet you're popular with the mares....or stallions, whichever is your cup of tea :twilightsheepish:

2552436 not particularly. I'm the least social pony I know.

2554875 I had a compulsion to do it that way. Yes, I know I could've condensed them, and the thought crossed my mind several times while writing it. I promise, I won't do that with my chapters anymore. Did you at least enjoy the story?

I loved it. Good work!

Good work, but your chapters were WAY too short.

This is a great story. As an aspiring fanfic author, this will be great inspiration.

ha dude i found your youtube chnl xD

2609687 it's either that, or someone's reading your fic on a youtube chnl o.o

2610939 Yeah, that's not me. Could you link me the video?

this is veyr very good but i wish you had made the chapters longer ^_^

Short but powerful. A good combination for any story.

Login or register to comment