• Published 9th May 2013
  • 1,586 Views, 41 Comments

I Am Octavia - Matthias Ramsey



Octavia and Vinyl hit a rough patch in their friendship. Inspired by the song "I Am Octavia" by EileMontyVA on YouTube.

  • ...
2
 41
 1,586

Advice From An Old Friend

Winesap and Vinyl sat for a long time, the former doing nothing but listening as the latter poured out her heart. She provided the needed consolation when Vinyl began crying. When she finished, Winesap sat and thought for a while.
"Vinyl?"
"Yeah?"
"Would ya knock a few apples down from that there tree?" She gestured to the tree behind them. "I'm sure I ain't the only one gettin' hungry."
"You're right about that." Vinyl went over to the tree and gave it a stern, but gentle, kick. Two apples fell from the branches overhead, which Vinyl caught with magic.
She handed one to Winesap and bit into the other one.
"Well, Vinyl, in the past I've had to tell ya ta stop thinkin' 'bout yerself and think 'bout ev'rypony else. But this time...this time you've already taken that step." Winesap shot her a smug look. "What, didja finally decide to take my advice?"
"Not quite. The ticket clerk at the train station said a few things my mind could chew on on the ride here."
"Yeah? Long rides're good for that." She bit into the apple Vinyl had given her. "So, you need a plan of action, do ya?"
"Yeah. I dunno what to do..."
"Well, I think you should do what she says. Give her some time to simmer down, but don't stray too far. If ya need some bits-"
"I have enough, thanks."
"Sorry. But like I was sayin', go ahead and get out. Get an apartment or somethin'. Then I think you should quit yer DJ'in' and get a new job."
"A job? Winesap, I didn't finish school..."
"Remember what I said 'bout not strayin' too far? Ya know, as a mailmare you'd go by her house ev'ry day..."
"Oh, I see...make sure she doesn't forget about me just because I'm not there."
"Exactly. Wait until her birthday comes around or somewhere 'round there. Maybe she'll be a bit flaky, but if ya do somethin' super-nice for her, and if you can convince her that you've changed, maybe she'll take you back."
"See, this is why you're so great, Winesap. That's a great idea!"
Winesap grinned. "You've got...what, a month or two 'til her birthday? Go on, make it happen."
Vinyl stood up. "Thanks, Winesap. Rorschach was right, talking with close friends does help."