• Published 11th Feb 2013
  • 861 Views, 23 Comments

Could You Change a Cutie? - Scourgeous



What if you're the type of pony who loves one thing, then it gets old, boring, and you find a new hobbie? Are you stuck with your old cutie mark for life?

  • ...
1
 23
 861

An Audience with the Princess

Sure, you might of thought my story was over once I'd faced my fears and showed my friends that there was a new me. I wish. If things could of ended there, I would of been happy with it. But what I have left out of my story makes me smile to this day.

So, I'd become a popular sensation within PonyVille. The whole group of us was now well known. Octavia and Lyra had joined forces to show classical music to the ponies of the society. Vinyl Scratch was the sound engineer of me, Rhythm and Sweetie Belle. We were living the dream, and at our next performance Sweetie Belle had earned her cutie mark, a delicate music note with golden sparkles.

One day, we'd all turned up to sing for Princess Celestia herself. She was visiting PonyVille, and a grand festival was being held for her arrival. Whilst Lyra and Octavia performed first, I'd walked the streets and sampled some of the sweet treats for sale, bought a caramel apple from Applejack, and went to sit down with Rhythm to observe some of the days festivities.

The WonderBolts, my old idols, had just done a fantastic flying display, and were chatting with their fans nearby. I caught Spitfire's eye and waved, and she blinked at me for a moment, and I could of sworn disappointment had flashed through her eyes. She'd managed to slip away from the others and come over to me, slipping her head out of her costume.

"Hey, Dash," She had said, her voice a little husky.

I dipped my head. "Hello, Spitfire." I could see she was itching to say something, and it unnerved me.

She'd looked away and stared into the distance, then back at me. "You didn't have to lie to us, Dash." she said, scraping one hoof on the ground.

My heart had leaped into my mouth. I hadn't lied to any of them! What was she talking about? Did she think that wanting to be a WonderBolt was a lie?

"Spitfire, I never lied! I always wanted to join your team, but that was then, and this is now..."

She had taken a step back and was lashing her tail angrily. "I mean about your cutie mark. You didn't have to lie to everyone about the fact you don't have one. You were a good flier with or without."

I felt so frustrated that I could of cried. I whirled around and shoved my own flank in my face, and a hoarse scream had escaped my lips. She was right, my cutie mark was gone!

"You don't understand, I used to have one, I mean- I do have one! It was there this morning... I think?"

She was staring at me with confusion, and I could feel Rhythm's gaze on me too. I glared between them, furious that they both looked as if they didn't believe me. "I'm not a blank-flank!" I barked, turning and running away.

I didn't look back over my shoulder at them, but I had run straight to Princess Celestia, who was talking with Twilight. I skid between them, panting to catch my breath.

"Pardon, I mean- excuse me, I- Sorry, Princess, please-"

She'd put her hoof on my mouth, and she smiled softly. I stared at her, shivering. Why did she look so pleased? I was shocked to see that Twilight looked just as proud and bashful.

When the Princess had pulled her hoof away, I let myself speak a little slower. "My cutie mark?"

Celestia leaned down to touch her muzzle to my forehead. "Rainbow Dash, this is something I've done very rarely. But it seems that you of all ponies has had a roller coaster of a journey. When you were young, your destiny was as I once suspected. But now your heart has led you to something that will stick with you forever through your adulthood." She leaned down, her horn glowing softly, and pressed the tip to my flank, and I shivered as cold spread through me, numbing my bones.

Twilight nodded reassuringly to me, and there was a gentle sparkle of golden light, and Celestia lifted her head, smiling. I turned around stiffly to glance at my side. There was a cutie mark there, but not the cloud with the bolt of rainbow lightning that I had earned during the Sonic Rainboom.

This cutiemark was a microphone, a rainbow-colored ribbon weaving around it.

Fin

Comments ( 4 )

2167938

Well, the story is complete now :pinkiehappy:

Oh and something a Noticed that has happened throughout the story
PonyVille it's Ponyville

This was amazing! :rainbowkiss:

This was definitely an interesting story.
However, something feels off about it in a way that I can't add it to my favorites.

Login or register to comment