• Published 11th Feb 2013
  • 861 Views, 23 Comments

Could You Change a Cutie? - Scourgeous



What if you're the type of pony who loves one thing, then it gets old, boring, and you find a new hobbie? Are you stuck with your old cutie mark for life?

  • ...
1
 23
 861

Destroy All Evidence

By this stage in my story, you've probably guessed the talent I've kept hidden under my wings for a long time now. Also, you'll be wondering what happened to old stubborn Rainbow Dash. She's still here, I'm still here. My stubbornness comes to show at about this point, when I start to deny all traces of what was happening.

Did someone say loser? I hope not. My main thought track was that things were getting out of hoof. Singing wasn't my talent for sure, it was a hobby in all it was. I was at war with my own self conscience, one half telling me to cast aside this foolish hobby of mine for something cooler, the other reminding me that my own sportiness had started off as a hobby itself, and it just took a little time and nurturing to get it to grow into what I have now.

It seems while I was busy blooming new eras of talent that my self esteem was left to wilt. This in itself prospered my personality to this day, whittling away the less important sides at the time. This brings me to the popularity side of things. I was desperate to be on the scene, refusing to be an outcast at any one time or moment. I wanted to be admired, I wanted ponies to look up at me like a role model, the pegasus who was envied for her ambitious qualities.

Singing never really came to me during my filly years, which I spent earning my cutie mark. It seemed that when my talent for flying and being the fastest pony in Ponyville appeared in full color on each of my flanks, it had to be true. This was my destiny, to be the best they'd ever seen. But has anyone really seen what was going on inside of me?

On the inside I was falling apart. Life was getting so hard, and admitting it was even harder. Dealing with it was the worst part. I felt like an urchin, trying to latch on to any host that passed me. I needed friends who understood me. Friends who didn't care whether I made a fool of myself, or I wasn't the top of the game.

That's where Twilight, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie come into my story. Without those five mares, I would be lost for thought. Having friends so close to cheer me on was the biggest help I could of asked for. Even if I was shy of acting up in front of them, I had learnt to laugh at my mistakes and shrug off my embarrassment. I had everything I wanted, great friends, I had fun everyday, and I was ready for the Wonderbolts. What was missing?

I was missing a friend that shared my talents, my favorite things to do. I wanted someone to share the skies with, to be lazy with, to laugh together with somepony. I felt greedy asking for more than I already had, and I often got frustrated with myself for not being more grateful. That all changed when I met a pony who was my complete opposite.

I first saw this pony when I'd met Lightning Dust. She'd been milling around, not talking to anyone, not straying near us. The whole group of us, me, Lightning, and the Wonderbolts must of seemed quite a rowdy crowd for a quiet pony like herself. At the first moment I'd found, I slipped away and trotted up to her, wondering who she was.

She was a dark grey pegasus with bright gold eyes. Her red, almost pink, mane had swished over her eyes when she turned to face me. I cast a glance at her side, but I was surprised to see that she was completely blank flanked. Her sides even looked a little duller than the rest of her shiny coat, but I looked away as not to upset her, and met her gaze.

"Are you okay?" I said nervously, finding my voice had grown very tight and high pitched as if I was nervous.

She blinked slowly. "Yes, I'm fine." She said with a smooth voice that felt amazing to listen to. She folded her wings to her side, studying me as if I was book. Her glowing eyes bore into me, and I let myself shiver.

"My name is Rainbow Dash," I had said politely, looking at the ground and scraping it with my hoof a little.

"I'm Rhythm." She said quietly, looking away.

The rest of our story is longer even than the one I've come to tell. The point given is, Rhythm shared my talent, and she was just as shy as I was. She'd even gone to the distance to appear blank flank, when in truth she'd painted over her cutie marks. In the years to come me and Rhythm became closer and closer, and as our trust strengthened, we'd shared our voices together. We weren't much of a duet, our voices were very different, but we both took to it naturally. She had a soft, rosey smooth voice, and I had to deal with the natural huskiness of my speaking voice let alone my singing voice.

Knowing I wasn't alone soothed me, but not quite. Neither of us ever planned to share our talents. But Rhythm was lucky. Her name, her cutie mark, everything showed that she would be exceptional if she had opened the curtains she kept drawn to the crowd and let Equestria hear her. I was different, I had other things, cooler things right? I was the sporty pony, and I had my cutie mark for that.

I knew that would never change, and neither would the fact that no-one knew that singing was growing into something more than a hobby for me. It was a secret, and I was determined to keep it behind iron bars. Nopony heard anything, saw anything, suspected anything. I left no traces, nothing to follow my back on.

Oh how I was wrong.

Author's Note:

Rhythm is one of my OC's, please do not use her :) Thank you