• Published 4th Feb 2013
  • 1,627 Views, 21 Comments

Zecora Goes to the Grand Galloping Gala - LittleAngelStocking



Zecora is invited to the Gala

  • ...
2
 21
 1,627

Chapter One

The Everfree Forest, big, dark, creepy. A large expanse of mostly unexplored forest, home to a good number of dangerous animals and monsters. With treetops so thick only faint rays of sunlight were able to break through and most ponies brave enough to enter don’t make it back out, whether they’re caught by a monster, or simply lost.

But to one zebra, the Everfree Forest was home. Zecora hummed a tune to herself as she sprinkled colorful flower petals into a bowl of big green lettuce leaves. “For something different I hunger, where is the spice I wonder?”

The zebra rummaged around in a cabinet before coming out with a small jar. She opened it and sprinkled some into her lunch, then put it away. She then picked up her bowl and trotted over to the table.

No sooner was she about to eat when there was a knock on the door. She jumped, and her bowl was knocked to the floor, spilling its contents everywhere.

She sighed, half-amused. This happened way too often. She got up and trotted towards the door. She opened it, poking her head out. “Welcome…”

Nopony was in sight. She looked around, confused and slightly suspicious. Not a leaf in the forest looked out of place to her. “Who has come?” she wondered aloud. She took a step forward, and then feeling something press underneath her she lifted a hoof and looked down.

A scroll sat on her doorstep, bound by golden wax seal. “Interesting. I wonder who sent this thing?” she mused, picking it up.

She opened it up and read,

Hear ye, hear ye. Her Grand Royal Highness, Princess Celestia of Equestria, is pleased to announce The Grand Galloping Gala to be held in the magnificent capital city of Canterlot-

Zecora skipped the formalities, scanning right to the bottom.

-extends an invitation to Zecora the zebra of the Everfree Forest.

And inside was a brilliant golden ticket. Zecora’s eyes widened. “A ticket to the Gala for free? An invitation sent to me?”

Zecora pondered this; she’d never been to the gala. She’d never really thought about it. But somepony had sent her an invite and a ticket too, had it been her friends from Ponyville? Zecora had never met either of the Princesses in person, and had never even seen Princess Celestia.

“I will go,” she decided. “But I must wear something fancy, I know.”

Zecora stepped back inside, closing the door and placing her ticket on the table. She cleaned up her salad off the floor and placed the bowl on the counter, hunger forgotten.

She opened her closet and rummaged around a bit. “Nothing good for me to wear,” she said quietly, closing the closet door. “Only a saddle, but it has a tear.”

She thought for a moment, wondering what to do. She didn’t even know what kind of things she was supposed to wear. Hay, she didn’t even know how it was appropriate to behave during a party like that. The customs of ponies and zebras could be so similar, yet so different. She knew she had plenty of time to figure it out; the Gala was still a ways off.

“I know, Ponyville has a dressmaker see,” she reminded herself. “My good friend Rarity. I will stop into town, and see if she could make me a proper gown.”

Grabbing her cloak and fastening it around her neck, the zebra trotted out the door, heading for Ponyville.

~~~

Twilight Sparkle yawned, the warm sun making her feel rather drowsy. She had a book open in front of her; she was sitting on a park bench. It was a beautiful day, and she figured why waste it indoors?

So she had brought a bunch of books out and was thus immersing herself in them. Her eyes lidded for a moment, just a moment. When she finally did open them, she let out a startled yelp and fell off the bench, at the sight of two big cerulean eyes staring into hers.

“Twilight Sparkle, my friend! It is so good to see you again; I was hoping a helping hoof you could lend?” But upon noticing the unicorn lying on the ground, Zecora’s cheerful expression turned to a concerned one. “Are you alright?” she held out her hoof, which Twilight took gratefully. “My apologies, shouldn’t have stood in your light.”

“No, it’s fine,” Twilight rose to her hooves and rubbed the sleepiness from her eyes. She chuckled once, “Sorry, I zoned out for a moment. What brings you here?” she asked, and quickly added, “Not that it’s unusual, and I do wish you would visit more frequently.”

The zebra chuckled, “Actually, I was hoping to see some books in your library. I got an invitation, you see. To the Grand Galloping Gala of Canterlot, I was wondering, was I invited by you lot?” she produced the invitation and handed it to Twilight, who became rather wide-eyed as she looked at the scroll.

“No, but congratulations!” Twilight said with a smile. “I’ve mentioned you to the Princesses before, they must want to meet you, or perhaps they just think you’d like to come.” She handed the scroll back, and Zecora shrugged.

“I came to Ponyville to see Rarity, for a good dress. I have nothing to wear, my wardrobe is a mess!”

Twilight picked up her book and started towards the library, Zecora walking beside her. “I’m sure Rarity can make you a beautiful dress, she always knows how to make a good dress for a good pony- er, zebra!” she laughed. “But seriously – congratulations.”

Zecora smiled, thanking her friend. They talked for a bit before stopping in front of Golden Oaks Library, and Zecora grinned. “It was good to see you again, Twilight. I am quite excited for the Gala night!”

The zebra noticed Twilight’s lower eye-lid twitch for a split second, before the purple unicorn smiled and nodded. “I hope you have fun,”

“Will you be at the Gala, then? You are Princess Celestia’s student, if I’m not mistaken.”

“Oh, no, I’m not going this year,” Twilight said sheepishly. “I do hope you enjoy yourself, though.”

Zecora nodded, giving Twilight a hug. “Oh well. I suppose I should see Rarity, farewell!”

Twilight waved, watching her go. She then stepped into the door, closing it behind her.

“Oh boy, I hope it doesn’t turn out as disastrous for her as it did for us,” she shivered.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Crimsongraph.

I can never keep my promises to myself, especially when I tell lots of people. In this case, I said I wouldn't write anything until my major fanfics were done - but I had to write this. I HAD TO. God told me to do it. You wouldn't contradict God, would you?

In all seriousness, this will only have about two or possibly even three chapters. (Knowing me, by possibly I mean probably.)

Comments ( 17 )

I'm genuinely interested in this short(?) story you've started! Jolly good rhyming too!:pinkiesmile:

Also... If Morgan Freeman told me to write a story I might go along with it, but if it was Bill Nye, I'd ask "How and when!?":rainbowkiss:

2071090 Yes, it's a short - will only be 2/3 chapters. And thanks! I used to want to be a poet, so rhymes sort of 'flow' with me. (I'm not showing off!

....Okay, maybe a little)

Also, yay for inside jokes! :trollestia: And oh my gosh, I remember Bill Nye! I used to love that guy!

Edit: Wait... did I just rhyme?

Second edit: Ha! I totally did!

2071113 FIRST POST IN A FIRST CHAPTER, HELL'S YEAH!!!:flutterrage:..........*ehem* Zecora had been put in the position of Ambassador in other stories when it comes to meeting royalty but this seems a bit more casual so I'm eager to read more.:eeyup:

As much as I like Morgan Freeman's involvement in Discovery Channel I prefer good old Bill because one: He narrates with the same expertise as he did in his old show when it comes to specific topics. Two: He's been there since my childhood.:twistnerd:

Also... What do you mean "used to"? He's still doing other stuff besides DC: bigthink/Youtube

I'm curious as to what this story will lead to and am liking it so far.

2071193 I still love that guy, I didn't know he was still doing stuff though :raritystarry:

Most interesting. Zecora is difficult to write, due to her speech. So bravo to you, good sir.

2071465 Yeah, there are so few stories centered around Zecora because of her rhyming, and when she does show up in fanfiction it isn't really that diverse, just a sort of 'she pops in and then pops out' type of thing

2071471 well, for some reason, in my english class, i seam to rhyme, and i have to tell you, I's a pain in the ass!

2125077 Ha! I see what you did there!

But in all seriousness though, with Zecora it seems pretty easy. It doesn't always have to flow just right like a poem, just make sure she makes sense and rhymes and you're good :rainbowlaugh:

2126681just note me for rhyming ideas, i've got it covered in many areas.

2127155 No, it's alright but thank you. I myself am familiar with many rhymes too,

2127160 alright then Stocking's littleAngel, and before you ask, yes this was completly intentional.

Brilliant story, I look forward to seeing what more hijinks you can come up with. And with Zecora's method of speech you did well, causing this story to cast its spell.

Login or register to comment