• Published 14th Dec 2012
  • 4,418 Views, 82 Comments

Scootaloo's Mother - englishwitch



Scootaloo sets out to find her real mother.

  • ...
3
 82
 4,418

Chapter 10

Scootaloo’s Mother
Fanfic by Englishwitch

Chapter 10

The two mares sat outside the Ponyville café. Lyra poked idly at her salad and Bonbon hadn’t even touched her cup of tea, which had turned cold long ago.

Yesterday Applejack had returned with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle but no Scootaloo. There had been some story of her running away to Cloudsdale with some mare in an airship, neither pony really knew what to make of it. Their little filly had run away with some strange mare. At least when Scootaloo had been with Applejack they had known that, no matter what, the farm pony would keep their child safe. Celestia only knew what was happening now.

The two mares looked at each other across the table. They didn’t know what to say to each other. They both were feeling the same worry and couldn’t think of any words of comfort.

“THERE!”

The two ponies looked up as a chariot flew overhead. A pegasus mare, with a yellow coat and a pink mane was pulling it. An orange coated filly was leaning out of the back of the chariot, pointing franticly.

“Land over there! Quick!”

Bonbon and Lyra both jumped to their hooves. “Scootaloo!” they screamed as one.

The chariot banked sharply, doing a full 180. Rosewing tilted downwards, pulling in her wings and coming to a slow and controlled landing.

Bonbon and Lyra rushed to them. Scootaloo was sitting in the back of the chariot, a leg wrapped around a small foal by her side. The colt held onto a small teddy bear, his eyes wide with wonder as he looked at his surroundings.

“Hey,” Scootaloo said with a casual tone and a mischievous grin. “this is Yo-yo. He’s my little brother.”

Bonbon and Lyra just stared. Neither knew how to respond to such a greeting.

Scootaloo hopped off the chariot then suddenly jumped to Lyra and Bonbon, wrapping her hooves around them both. The two mares returned the hug with equal passion. They held onto her tightly, never wanting to let her go.

“Scoots,” Lyra whispered gently, “are you....okay?”

Scootaloo slowly pulled out of the hug. Her expression had turned serious as she nodded. “Yeah.” She glanced over her shoulder at the chariot. Rosewing was unstrapping herself from the harness and Yo-yo was content to sit and stare around the town. “Yeah, I’m okay. Better than okay.” She looked at the two mares again. “I know who I am now.”

Lyra and Bonbon looked at each other, twin expressions of worry played on their faces. Bonbon was the one to ask the question, “and...who are you?”

Scootaloo wiped a piece of dust from her eye. It wasn’t tears, it was just a piece of dust irritating her eye.
“I’m your daughter.”

She jumped at them again, throwing herself into a second hug. Bonbon wrapped her legs around Scootaloo tightly. The tears started to flow and she felt Lyra’s legs join into a hug triangle, her own eyes were glistening with moisture.

“I’m sorry Moms.” Scoots whispered from within the hold of the embrace. “I’m sorry for everything I said and did.”

“It’s okay Scoots.” Lyra kissed the fillies forehead. “It’s okay.”

Scootaloo sobbed quietly. Although, later, she would deny that. “I love you Moms.”

“We love you too Scootaloo.” Bonbon whispered back. Scootaloo smirked, remembering how her two mothers had said that little rhyme all through her foalhood.

Bonbon was the first to look up and notice Rosewing. The mare was keeping a respectful distance from the family. She was sitting on the ground with the colt at her hooves. He was enjoying the feel of the dirt beneath him. The first time on the ground —the real ground and not the cloud ground of Cloudsdale— was a special moment for all pegasi.

Slowly, Lyra and Scootaloo broke from the hug, the older mare started looking at Rosewing.

Rosewing cleared her throat and tried to smile in a friendly way. She ended up just looking as nervous as she felt. “Hello...” She cleared her throat again. “I’m Rosewing.”

Bonbon opened her mouth but couldn’t think of anything to say. Scootaloo popped up between them, a huge smile on her face.
“Biological mom, meet my awesome adoptive moms; Bonbon and Lyra. Moms, this is Rosewing. She’s cool.”

Lyra couldn’t help herself, she started to smirk, which grew quickly into a giggle. Even Bonbon found herself smiling. She looked at Rosewing with a new warmth in her expression. This mare had brought Scootaloo back to them, Scootaloo was still calling the two of them mom, and Scoots thought Rosewing was ‘cool’. Anypony Scoots thought of as cool was usually worth getting to know.

She glanced at Lyra. Without even saying a word they knew they were both thinking the same thing.
Bonbon cleared her throat. “Would you like to come into our home for a cup of tea?”

Rosewing smiled broadly, a look of surprise and gratitude played across her face. As though an invitation for tea was more than she could have dreamed of.
“I would love to.”

End.

Author's Note:

Short, but I think it was the best ending.
Over 9 chapters Scootaloo learned what everpony else, and most of the readers, knew all along. So 10 was a nice little epilogue to wrap things up.
Hope I didn't disappoint.

Comments ( 14 )

SPOILERS!!!!!




I found chapter 9 a little weak. On the one hand you have her moving in with her grandparents who own an entire estate and apparently care enough for her to pass over her parents with the inheritance, on the other hand you're saying that she didn't have the resources to take care of a kid. Hmmkay....

Would have liked it if you had made her mothers reasons a bit darker (not fullblown grimdark, but enough to show that it was a messy affair), and it probably would have been nicer to see Scoots come to the conclusion herself, especially since she once refused the very same explanation by her adopted parents.

All in all while still enjoyable, the end felt pretty shallow, especially compared to the buildup of earlier chapters.

2177084
I think estate means something different to you than it does to me.
Estate isn't just a big house on lots of land, it's a housing area, a neighbourhood. A housing estate, for example, its lots of houses built on a piece of land. That's where Roseluck lived, on a housing estate. A perfectly ordinary house, except it was made of cloud.

D'awwwwwww! I thought it was lovely the way it was, honestly. Love conquers all! :pinkiehappy:

STOP HURTING MY FEELS! Anyway epic story!

2177206 Kay, that one was my mistake. ^^

Awesome story and a good ending.

A great story of discovery. Good work.:pinkiesmile:

2177206

Since when was RoseLUCK a part of this? I could swear that it was RoseWING the whole time. Anyway, great story. Hope to see more in a sequel!

Nice story! My only complaint is that it has the comedy tag, but isn't really all that funny. It was more... for lack of a better term, dramatic.

Also there were some punctuation errors. But other than that, it was good!

2883199

you're the first to spot it, or at least mention it, but yes, the speech was perfect, so I borrowed it.

Not very believable I'm afraid. She somehow just accepts it all and has no feelings towards the baby this woman kept. There would be feelings of resentment going on there at some point. Because I know very personally the feeling you have been thrown away by your own mother. Also if you are going by our adoption ways to make this story she wold have had weeks to MONTHS to change her mind after giving birth and taken her baby back, or even before then. So while I guess it was kind of cute it lacked enough to make it really believable.

Absolutely marvelous. You are a master of the sacred art of the feels, and I am glad I found this story. There is an art to crafting a conclusion that is both satisfying, and leaves the reader wanting more, and this is a perfect example. Thank you. :yay:

The feels :pinkiesad2:

Login or register to comment