• Published 3rd Dec 2012
  • 1,830 Views, 35 Comments

On Nightmares and Moons - Rarity Belle



What is the story of the princess of the moon after her return to the monarch? How did she deal with the things that were unseen to the eyes of others? Was everything nice or was it a major disaster? Above all, did she made peace with herself?

  • ...
7
 35
 1,830

Chapter 5

“B-But how!? How can we..?" Luna questioned herself while she was puzzling the pieces together. The words had caught her off guard and that was something not really appreciated by her.

My foal, we were one ever so long ago, it is time to stay as one. One can not live without the other. You have seen it yourself, your anger, sadness and regret…

The mare allowed her thoughts to run free and wild about the spoken words before nodding eventually. “That, that is right... We are one being. And one being alone. We are one.”

Glad you finally took note of that... Even if it took one thousand years of pain…

“Don’t remind me please...” the mare said as her eyes fell upon the by now descending sun. “I will show her...”

What are you... Oh, I see where you are going with this.

---

The princess began to care less and less about the mare in her heart at a gentle rate. She just accepted the facts as they were while she made her way over to the broken window. There she allowed her eyes to fall upon the sun once again. Her mind began to make deep and complex calculations while lowering her head until the horn touched the ground.

The cyan blue eyes got once again covered by the dark blue eyelids, soon to be followed by a couple deep breaths before she softly spoke. “My name, is Luna, princess of the moon and stars. And tonight...” Before she could say a word further her horn began to charge up, letting itself coat in the cobalt blue aura.

Time itself didn't had to progress long before her horn had collected so much energy it was humming from it. With a slow rate did the aura left her horn in order to surround her whole body. All while her head ever so gentle rose back up. The eyelids were opened on themselves again and allowing her eyes to see the worlds again. They were allowed to show her the deed she was about to do. They turned themselves over to the east. While inspecting the horizon, the tip of a rock could be seen that went accompanied by some twinkling lights.

They glared over to the west where the sun had disappeared and the darkness began. The whole skies turned blacker than ever before as holes in the clouds allowed the stars to shine down upon the land as the rock kept rising itself until it revealed itself as both a sight of pleasure and sadness for the mare. That rock was nothing else than the moon. Her domain, her reign, her kingdom. “...I claim what always had been rightfully mine.”

---

Equestria slowly fell into the evening. The time for ponies to go to bed as they pleased. Yet Luna was still widely awake. She didn’t have any intention about going to bed anytime soon either. And Nightmare –being herself– saw an opportunity to take a great advantage of the situation.

Don’t you see it? They will all sleep during our night.

“Nightmare Moon... thou hast much to learn,” the princess spoke in a regal tone. “Our subjects need their sleep. For not only do their relax under the sun, they also work. Under the moon, they all relax.”

W-What..?

“Their sleep is the thing powers us. Their peaceful sleeping is something that she will never be able to rule over,” said Luna in the hope to make things a bit more clear for Nightmare.

When did you..?

Nightmare Moon was struck by surprise of the words of the princess as she recalled them in her heart, pounding her own mind over them, only to realize they were more than true.

How did you came to that conclusion!?

“I have had years to think my past sins. Sins I thought that could be washed away in time, and your banishment. But it is as you said... I am you, and you are me.”

And you asked... Never mind that. We, have one last business to do.

“Sister,” the mare spoke before she spread her wings with an unseen elegance. All while her horn discharged itself. It therefore allowed the aura to vanish from it and herself.

---

The eyes of all the guards in the throne room, including the ones from the princess were looking at something. They gazed upon the moon, stars and the fallen night in a shocked reaction to them. Not even the princess of the sun could speak a word about what had happened. The more they stared, the more it appeared as if a figure came flying from the rock. One that was heading into the direction of the palace in Canterlot. None of them dared to attack it or even point it out for they were waiting for the order of the princess. Who on her own turn happened to be having an idea of whom the figure might be. Celestia could only pray that her feelings to be right in the matter.

It didn't took long before the figure landed on the balcony of the palace as a cobalt blue aura began to surround the doors in order to open them. All the guards gazed upon the opening doors while trying to identify the figure before a shock went through each of them and they all lowered on their front legs, resulting on bows before the figure.

“Sister,” spoke Celestia in the end after the figure walked in further.

“Spare us your pity, sister!” the figure replied while making its way over to the throne, revealing it to be the princess of the moon who had been flying towards them. A surprise that struck each of the guards more than they had expected.

“Excuse me?”

“Spare us, your excuses. Spare us your sympathy. And listen to us for once.”

Us? Luna, w-what is going on?” the other mare asked in a confused tone.

“Let me put it this way. I figured some things out in the past hours. Things about myself, and somepony else. Somepony who makes me whole, thus creating an us. You couldn't see it, now could you. I needed this pony, I just needed her. For it was thanks to her I have been able to raise the moon, as I am supposed to be!”

---

The princess of the sun gave an understanding nod before she stood up from the throne. Without a word from her mouth did she walked from the steps it had. She signaled a little with her head that Luna had to follow her and together they walked through the door she just entered. The elder sister closed the door with the help of her magic before allowing her eyes to scam the nightly skies, eventually resting on to her sister. “Sister, have you bound yourself again with that creature?”

“She is not a creature! She is a part of me. A broken part of my soul own soul. A part not being able to be glued to whatever there is left. But she is a part of me.”

Celestia allowed a deep sight to leave her nostrils after the words entered her ears. “Luna, my little Luna, you have once again fallen into the lies of the beast, and I don’t wish to banish you again,” said the other princess with an unusual calm to her voice.

The younger sister just turned her head away before a deep sigh of her own left her mouth. “You won’t understand... You never did, never will either.”

“I do understand it, I can see your reasons behind it, but bounding again with Nightmare, is asking for another banishment,” her sister spoke ever so softly.

“Then I want you to listen to me, and listen to me good for a change!” The mare began to charge her horn up very lightly as she draw a small circle in the thin air while keeping her eyes stern on her sister. “Take life as a circle, one can go many directions from it. But the middle represents pure harmony. Our status.”

---

Celestia gave a nod of understanding, but was also impressed by the manner of her sister’s speaking.

“With Nightmare out of my control, she broke out of the circle. But to even things out, so did I. Thus keeping both the same distance from that circle to order everything in us, around us. But with her in the Void, there was nothing to even me out, nothing at all. Thus making me as I was, angry, sad, depressed. It only has been a few hours since I felt myself whole again. Why? Because not only does Nightmare even me out again, we came back to the center. Much like you and...”

But before she could speak a name, her sister glazed into her eyes under a light head shake, resulting in the younger sister to let go a sigh.

“Nightmare... Come out please, and tell her, what I told you.” she said before her entire body began to indulge itself in a white light as she grew in size, her coat became as black as the night and her horn elongated.

---

After a mere second did the light fade away, resulting in the tainted part of Luna’s soul to be standing there. Standing once again against the mare of the sun, the very mare who banished her. Celestia allowed her eyes to fall upon the creature before her, the same creature she had locked up in the moon one millennium ago. It felt like she was facing her old foe. But the princess didn't do anything to attack as Nightmare also just stood there, looking down into the eyes of the mare.

“She speaks the truth. I am part of her. I am her, and she is me, Celestia. It was through us both, she was able to raise the night. And coming to the conclusion that ponies at night have something they will never have during the day,” the other entity inside of her spoke slyly.

The other alicorn mare listened with the greatest of interest to the spoken words. Though there was something that she wanted to know about it all. “And what might that be?” she asked.

“Rest and relaxation,” spoke Nightmare under her infamous grin. After that did she return to the heart of the lunar alicorn mare. It was a thing that resulted in Luna transforming back to her normal self as a smile began to appear on the face of Celestia.

“You were right, sister. She is a part of you. She truly is. I am sorry for my words against her and I hope you are able to forgive me for them.”

“I forgive you sister, I forgive you.” Luna whispered ever so softly.

---

The alicorn her smile stayed on her face as she nuzzled the nose of her little sister. “Thank you, Woona. But excuse me here, my bed is calling for me here sadly.”

Luna nuzzled back under a light smile while nodding in return. “I understand, Tia.”

Together they made their way back inside the throne room where the guards all had taken their position again as Celestia walked through another door and disappeared out of sight, leaving Luna alone in the throne room. The dark blue coated mare didn't had to think long before she walked up the steps of the throne and sat down on it in a regal manner, overlooking the throne room with confidence. She had reclaimed what was taken so brutally from her ever so long ago. Not only richer in that manner, but also learned her most valuable lesson to date, that even though a part of her soul is as black as the darkest of nights, it still makes her who she is.

As for Nightmare herself, she resided with peace in the heart of the alicorn princess, waiting to be asked again. Consuming the hatred while she secretly planned to topple everything in darkness.

---

So it happened, the to many untold story of the changes of the princess between her separation from the ‘monster’ to the alicorn they all know and love to that day. A story that took place in a day. A story with many bumps but one that was too beautiful to be left untold.

Right?

Comments ( 4 )

I sense what treachery will befall us

1947241
Perhaps there may be:twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment