• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 2,186 Views, 55 Comments

Caramel's Flower - Stratocaster



A crazy winding romance involving one of Ponyville's most ordinary stallions

  • ...
4
 55
 2,186

The Choice

Chapter 10: The Choice

The next morning, Caramel found himself at his own kitchen table instead of a lonely bar. He stared up intently at the clock high on the wall which ticked away through the late morning. Anticipation clouded his mind as the strong scent of breakfast hung under his nose. Beside him, Fleur de Lis was standing at the stove cooking a dubious meal for her stallion lover. But Caramel was uncertain about her cooking abilities.
“Here you are, my sweet,” cooed Fleur de Lis as she carried a frying pan over to him. “I made you a nice big helping of scrambled eggs, hash browns and orange juice.”
Caramel turned away from the newspaper he had been pretending to read, and looked at the plate on the table. What seemed to be eggs and potatoes were surprisingly blackened masses burnt to a crisp. He blinked curiously as she even seemed to have burned the juice, a feat once thought to have only been conquered by Sweetie Belle.
“Thanks, Fleur.” Caramel said hiding his disdain.
“Anything for you, my stallion caller.”
Fleur de Lis stroked Caramel’s mane and planted a kiss on his cheek. But a sense of uneasiness spread over him.
“What’s wrong, Caramel?” she asked concerned. “Darling, you look so nervous.”
He sighed. “Well, I didn’t tell you before but, I’m expecting somepony to stop by soon.”
“Oh, why didn’t you say so?” she replied happily. “I’d love to meet any friend of yours. I’ll have to put on some tea.” Fleur de Lis walked back to the stove.
Caramel began to speak up and tell her to nix the tea, due to her abuse of his stove. But he hesitated realizing that soon it would not matter. The clock struck ten and he kept his ears open. After a few more minutes, the doorbell finally rang.
“Ooh, I’ll get that.” Fleur de Lis offered.
“Uh no, no, allow me.” Caramel interjected quickly getting out of his chair.
“Such a gentlepony.”
Carmel feigned a smile then headed over to the front door with a nervous gulp. He opened the door and sure enough, his ex was standing outside.
“Hi Caramel,” greeted Sassaflash who gave him a warm hug. “I’m glad you told me the night before to come over.” She then protruded her lips to land a kiss on him; but Caramel interrupted her.
“Uh, Flash, there’s somepony I think you should meet.” He said half-heartedly.
Sassaflash looked puzzled. “Oh, um, okay. Who is it?”
“Who’s at the door, darling?” called Fleur de Lis entering from the kitchen.
Caramel cringed as he heard her voice while Sassaflash perked up. Now both mares were in the same room with him face to face. There was no going back now; it was time for him to get down to business. Caramel breathed deep and began.
“Fleur de Lis, this is Sassaflash.” He said nonchalantly. “She’s…my ex marefriend.”
Fleur de Lis looked surprised. “Oh. This is her?” She then turned to Sassaflash. “Well, uh, it’s nice to meet you.”
“Um…you too.” Sassaflash replied feeling awkward. Then her eyes widened. “Wait, you’re Fleur de Lis? You’re that famous model from Canterlot! Caramel, what is she doing here?”
Caramel put on his best calming smile. “Well, uh, Sassaflash, I didn’t mention this yesterday, but Fleur de Lis just happens to be my-”
“I am his current lover!” Fleur de Lis smiled and grabbed him lovingly. “We’ve only known each other for a few days and already he’s agreed to let me live with him. Isn’t he just the sweetest pony ever?”
“What?!” gasped Sassaflash. “Caramel, you’re seeing another mare?”
“Uh…yeah.” Caramel frowned having realized that this was a bad idea.
“Why didn’t you tell me about this yesterday?” asked Sassaflash.
“Well, I would’ve. But when you said you and I should get back together, I just-”
“Hold on,” interrupted Fleur de Lis. “You were going to get back together with her?”
Caramel frowned having realized that this was a terrible idea.
“And you agreed after you said she could live with you?” glared Sassaflash. “Even after you only just met her?”
“Caramel, how could you reunite with her when you’re already with me?” scolded Fleur de Lis.
Suddenly, both mares were staring him down angrily as sweat ran down his face. Caramel frowned having realized that this was a disastrous idea.
“What about what you said before I left you?” Sassaflash continued. “I thought you still had feelings for me.”
“Well, clearly you misheard.” Fleur de Lis scoffed. “He apparently doesn’t love you enough not to move on.”
“What’s that supposed to mean?” Sassaflash now turned towards her.
“Caramel obviously loves me more. You honestly think he would be a one mare pony?”
“I’ll have you know that Caramel and I were together for years. You’ve only known him for just a few days.”
“Yes, and I’ve managed to give him more love than you could have in years.”
“Ha! I bet you love as well as you fight!”
“I’ll take that as a challenge!”
“Um, ladies?” squeaked Caramel.
It was then that Fleur de Lis lunged and shook Sassaflash by her shoulders, as the both of them began shouting over each other. Sassaflash grabbed the other’s horn and mane in protest and flapped her wings vigorously. Caramel could only stand meekly and watch the ensuing catfight.
“Fleur! Flash! Please, I’m sure we can work something out!” he pleaded over them.
“Pompous!”
“Jealous!”
“Man hog!”
“Filly!”
“Diva!”
“Airhead!”
“Girls, please STOP!”
Just then, the front door swung open slamming against the wall. The two quarreling mares stopped their fit and saw the unexpected visitor. Caramel gawked at the white unicorn millionaire.
“Caramel, you scoundrel!”
Cold silence fell as Fancypants entered the house.
“How dare you run off with my fiancée!” He huffed. “Fleur de Lis is rightly betrothed to me, and you swept her away!”
Sassaflash then sneered at Fleur de Lis. “You’re engaged and you wanted to be with my Caramel?! You hussy!”
“My dear, you have it all wrong.” continued Fancypants. “My sweet flower was stolen this ruffian! He obviously has her wrongly seduced. Well, I am here to earn back her love!”
Caramel looked at the furious mogul skeptically, as Fancypants rolled up his sleeves and curled his hooves into fists.
“Caramel, I challenge you to hooftycuffs!” he demanded. “Go on then, put up your dukes! I’ll give you what for, for running off with my Fleur de Lis! Come on; make your move, you dandy!”
Without a word, Caramel stepped up to Fancypants, turned around and reared up his back legs. In one swift blow, he mule kicked his opponent as if he were an apple tree. Fancypants flew backward at a blinding speed, slammed square into the wall and lay there in a daze.
“Mummy, the butler took my pedal car!” he babbled delirious.
Caramel then turned to see Sassaflash and Fleur de Lis with their jaws hanging open in shock of his knockout.
“What? We all knew how that was going down.” He said.
After a moment of silence, Sassaflash finally sighed and walked toward the door.
“I can’t take this.” She uttered with a look of defeat.
“Flash, where are you going?” asked Caramel calling after her.
The teal pegasus stopped at the open door and turned around. She looked at him with sorrowful orange eyes.
“Caramel, this is all my fault.” She said. “I shouldn’t have done this.”
“What do you mean?”
“When I left you for Cloudsdale, you made a promise to me that you would always love me. I shouldn’t have let you make that promise. I’m not blaming you as much as I am myself. It was wrong of me to let you destroy yourself over me. I can’t be mad at you for moving on; even if it’s with a…betrothed mare. Look, coming back here was a big mistake. I think all I’m doing is stirring up chaos. I’m not going to distract you from carrying on with your life. You deserve to start anew.
“You…you really mean that?”
“I hope you and Fleur de Lis will be very happy together. Any pony will be lucky to have a stallion like you. So long, Caramel; good luck.”
With that, Sassaflash gave him a small hug before exiting the house. Caramel only stood without a word, staring at her walking away. Something wasn’t settling right. Now that he only had one mare to give his love to, he couldn’t help but feel that he got her too easily. Something was drawing his eyes and mind to the gorgeous little pegasus who had just left his abode. As he stood there with unrest, Caramel felt a hoof touch his shoulder.
“Go to her.”
He turned around quickly. Fleur de Lis stood behind him with a soft smile.
“What did you say?” he asked.
“Come now, Caramel, it’s obvious you still have feelings for her.” She told him. “All this time, I was in love you because I was so sick of Fancypants. But what I’ve really been doing is trapping you. You’ve known Sassaflash for so long, and she loves so very much. I shouldn’t drag you away from her just because I want something new in my life. She’ll make you much happier than I can.”
“Fleur, are you sure about this?”
“Absolutely. It’s like she said; any pony will be lucky to have you. And now know what it’s like to be that lucky.”
“But, what are you going to do if I leave you?”
“I’ll just go back to Fancypants. That kick you gave him, which was tremendous by the way, might have knocked his memory loose. He’ll forget I ever dumped him and I’ll have a stallion who will make me…modestly happy. For now, you should go get her before it’s too late.”
Caramel lit up and smiled at the unicorn. Before speaking, he hugged her quickly. “You’ve made me happy for the first time in a long while. I’ll never forget that. Thanks, Fleur de Lis.”
She touched his cheek one last time. “Darling, it’s just Fleur.”
Without further conversation, Caramel dashed out of his house after his true love.
As he galloped out onto the street, he lost sight of Sassaflash and feared that he had already lost her. He looked in all directions but there was no sign of his flying beauty. Then, an idea came to him and he peered up toward the sky. Sure enough, Sassaflash was gliding above the town away from him. Caramel stomped the pavement and sprang off. Desperately, he caught up with the airborne pegasus running directly under her. He called for her attention.
“Sassaflash!” he shouted, ignoring any public looks. “Sassaflash!”
As he sprinted, Sassaflash looked down and caught sight of Caramel. Immediately, she swooped low and landed on the ground in front of him. The two now stood on a hill over looking Ponyville.
“Caramel? What is it?” she asked.
Without an answer Caramel grabbed her by the sides, bent her over backwards, and planted a passionate kiss on her lips. Sassaflash’s eyes widened and her wings flung open from the sudden rush. Caramel held the embrace for many seconds pressing his lips against hers, before finally lifting them. He kept holding her in his forelegs.
“Sassaflash, I love you!” he smiled. “I’m so sorry I ever tried to move on; it was my fault, not yours. I had a moment of weakness and fell in love with the first stranger I met. But I realized it was because you weren’t here with me. And now that you’re back, I’m not going to sabotage myself any longer. You were always there for me, and that’s why I still have feelings for you, babe. Stay with me, Sassaflash, I love you!”
In that warm moment, Sassaflash looked into his eyes and found his words to be completely true. Tears of joy welled up in her eyes and she wrapped her hooves around her love’s brown mane, holding on wanting. Sassaflash pulled him closer to her face.
“Oh Caramel, I love you too!” she smiled. “I promise I’ll never leave you again.”
“Me too.”
Caramel and Sassaflash closed their eyes and locked lips in an even tighter embrace. At last, Caramel found serenity in the closeness of his favorite mare. He was finally truly happy. Unbeknownst to the both of them, three troublesome fillies spied on them from a distance.
“Well girls, our mission is complete.” Sweetie Belle said proudly. “We finally saved Caramel and now he’s back with his true love.”
“You know, this gives me an idea.” Applebloom replied. “Maybe we can get our cutie marks in match makin’!”
“That’s a great idea, Applebloom,” said Scootaloo. “If we can reunite these two, think about who else we can get to fall in love with each other.”
“But who can we make a couple out of?” pondered Applebloom.
“Now that you mention it,” suggested Sweetie Belle. “I think Lucky has been having his eye on Twilight Sparkle.”
“Then, that settles it.” Scootaloo added. “Let’s go get our cutie marks in romance!”
“Cutie Mark Cupids ho!” concluded Applebloom.
The fillies cantered off to cause trouble one more time.

The End

Comments ( 4 )

That...was...a...doozie! I hope you've enjoyed my first romance as much as it's twisted my mind. How do those authors do it? :applejackconfused: Anyway, stick around for my next story...or stories. I'm considering working on more than one at a time just so I can get these ideas out faster. But that's for 2013! I'll see you in January, and have a happy New Year! :yay:

I would have him end up with Fleur but what have been done is done.

Fancy Pants is weak stuff
weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/well-that-didnt-escalate-at-all.jpeg
well it was a great story cant wait to see more from ya

Yeah... no. You ended it the worst way possible. I'm sorry, but this chapter ruined the whole feel of the story. I can't give you a thumbs up. But I'm not going to give a thumbs down either. The rest of the story kept that from happening. Good story, bad ending.

Login or register to comment