• Published 15th Nov 2012
  • 2,185 Views, 55 Comments

Caramel's Flower - Stratocaster



A crazy winding romance involving one of Ponyville's most ordinary stallions

  • ...
4
 55
 2,185

We All Still Love Ya Caramel

Caramel’s Flower
By Stratocaster

Chapter 1: We All Still Love Ya Caramel

“And that’s pretty much how Lucky got his cutie mark.”

“Oh my goodness, that is just hilarious!”

“Yeah, he hates it when I tell that story…You know, I’m really going to miss you tomorrow, Sassaflash. You being away in Cloudsdale for a whole two weeks will be just torture.”

“Yeah um, about that, Caramel, there’s something I have to tell you.”

“Why the long sigh, babe?”

“Well, it turns out I’ll be staying in Cloudsdale for a bit longer than I expected.”

“So what? Three weeks?”

“No.”

“Four weeks?”

“…Four years.”

“…Five weeks?”

“Oh Caramel, I’m so sorry. It just came up. The Cloudsdale Flight Academy wants me for a full internship. I was too nervous to tell you at first; that’s why I brought you here.”

“Wait a minute. The candles? The cider? The sad Octavia album playing? Oh no, this is it! This is the breakup date isn’t it?”

“Please, don’t say breakup. It’ll just make this more uncomfortable. But there’s no denying it, Caramel. Long distance relationships never work out. Ponies always move on anyway. Oh, I just hate to break this to you, baby.”

“But, we’re doing so well together. Are you sure you can’t stay here in Ponyville?”

“My whole family wants me to take this opportunity; I don’t have much of a choice. I would love nothing more in Equestria than to stay with you, but my hooves are tied. I’m so sorry.”

“So…you’ve really decided, huh.”

“Oh, I told myself I wouldn’t cry. Caramel, you must think I’m awful!”

“Flash, I could never think that way. You’re the most amazing mare I’ve ever known. And I swear, no matter how far apart we go, I just want you to know something. I will still always love you. You have my promise.”

“I’ll always love you too, Caramel. Hold me.”

“I will, Sassaflash…I will.”

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Caramel%20sad.png[/img]

Caramel lazed under one of the many trees in Sweet Apple Acres. Beside him stacked several baskets of the sweet cash crop from which he took one and munched with satisfaction. He had just logged a good four hours of applebucking alongside Big Macintosh and felt he deserved a well needed break. After devouring four or five apples, he began to nod off. But, his relaxation was interrupted by a shrill scold Applejack.
“Caramel! Get up, ya lazy colt!”
Caramel’s eyes shot open and he sprang to his hooves awkwardly.
“What do ya think yer doin’ just lyin’ around?” continued Applejack. “Ya still got a good dozen more acres to harvest.”
“I’ve been applebucking all morning.” Caramel replied. “Can’t I get one moment of peace and quiet?”
“We don’t take too kindly to lazin’ around here, Caramel. We’re all pullin’ our own on the farm, so Ah suggest you should too.”
Caramel lowered his eyelids with a moan of disdain. “Ugh, fine. I’ll get to work right away, milady.” He said sarcastically.
“Hey listen here, buckaroo, ya may not be a blood Apple, but we still treat ya like one. So ya better start workin’ like one!”
With a scoff, Applejack walked off leaving Caramel to imitate a nagging impression of her. Resentfully, he continued to knock the sweet fruit from their trees. He had been working part time at Sweet Apple Acres for quite some time. As Applejack put it, he was not a blood relative of the family. He didn’t have a cowpony accent, preferred green apples over red, and had never even been to Appleloosa. But in a way he almost was part of the family. He worked hard in the fields, learning the applebucking technique from Big Macintosh, who he saw as an older brother figure. However, Caramel tended to be less of a fully competent worker. He was often forgetful when left in charge of seeds and apple bushels, and was also a bit of a klutz. He was even responsible for an incident involving Big Mac’s eyebrows burning off, and another for Granny Smith’s false teeth ending up in the garbage disposal. It’s true, Caramel wasn’t the most reliable pony, but he certainly got the job done…eventually. After two more grueling hours, Caramel finally finished his rounds in the apple fields and returned to the farmhouse. It was a bit after noon and Granny Smith had just baked a fresh batch of apple crumbles. Caramel could smell the alluring aroma of apples and cinnamon from outside the kitchen window. As he approached the house, he spotted Big Mac sitting outside on the front step eating what looked like an apple crumble. A plate full of crumbs lay next to him.
“Hey, how many of those have you eaten?” asked Caramel suspicious.
“Six.” Big Mac answered eyes shut and chewing happily.
“Well save some for me, will you?”
“Nope. Last one.” The draftpony stuffed the treat in his mouth whole with a smug grin.
“You gotta be kidding me! I’ve been out there working my flank off as much as you.”
“Maybe ya shouldn’t have been eatin’ the crop too.”
“Ah whatever, I’m going home.”
Caramel walked off leaving the burly stallion to chuckle to himself on the porch. As he headed toward the open gate, he noticed little Applebloom sitting atop the fence also eating a crumble. The spunky filly saw him and waved.
“Hiya, Caramel!” she called. “How was work?”
“Eh, the usual.” He answered. “I’m pretty tired, so I think I’ll just head home.”
“While yer headin’ out, could you give this to Sweetie Belle, please?” Applebloom gave him an Octavia album. “We’re tryin’ to be recordin’ artists with Scootaloo. Cutie Mark Crusader Records!”
“Huh. Sure thing, Applebloom, I’ll give it to her.” Caramel looked down at the album and sighed heavily.
“What’s wrong, Caramel?” asked Applebloom sweetly. “You look downer than a low hangin’ apple branch.”
“Oh, I’m fine. It’s just that this album kind of reminds me of Sassaflash. It’s hard to believe it’s been two months since I last saw her.”
“Do ya still miss her?”
“Oh yeah, very much. In fact, I don’t think I could even move on. I still think about her sometimes, and I end up just feeling lonely. But you shouldn’t fret too much about me. I’ll be okay.” He looked down at the ground.
“Don’t worry, Caramel,” smiled Applebloom. “We all still love ya.” She then held up something from beside her. “Here, you can have my other crumble. Hope it makes ya feel better.”
Caramel smiled at the darling filly. “Thanks, Applebloom. Make sure you give your brother a smack for me.”
“Oh Ah will. Have a good day, Caramel!”
“You too!”
Caramel took the sweet apple delicacy in his mouth and walked on down the road towards town. As he gulped down the crumble, he reflected back on his tearful parting with his former marefriend, Sassaflash. The breakup was completely unexpected. The two lovers had been closer than any romance novel characters. Caramel loved her for her spontaneous energy, and Sassaflash loved him for his loyalty and compassion. They did everything together; whether it was hitting the town or taking some private time to cuddle. It seemed like they would never grow apart. But Sassaflash’s obligation to take up an internship at the Flight Academy in Cloudsdale made that possible. They bid farewell as she left for Cloudsdale two months ago. It was a tragic goodbye, and Caramel was never the same. His relationship with Sassaflash was well known in Ponyville, so many came to comfort him in his depression. Several mares pined for his affection sympathetically, but he knew better and kept a promise he made to never love another. Luckily, he had his friends to rely on; one of which was Rarity. Caramel lived next to the Carousel Boutique so it was no surprise that he became fast friends with the fashionista. He even once had a crush on her before dating Sassaflash. After the breakup, Rarity, along with Sweetie Belle, was one of the first to help him through his funk. It wasn’t long before Caramel started to feel a bit better thanks to the guidance of his friends. But he would soon find a new level of comfort.