• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 9,940 Views, 810 Comments

Awakening Pink - Masterweaver



Waking up as Pinkie Pie. Not the usual way things go....

  • ...
46
 810
 9,940

Green Sheets and Fuchsia Mane

Ah, the joys of waking up.

First comes the slow, dreary process of shaking off my sleepiness and convincing my body it's actually awake. Then there's that desperate scramble to memorize what parts of my dream I liked and wanted to write down into a story. That's always fun. Oh, then I glance at the clock to see if I've woken up too early, again. Usually I go back to sleep after that but sometimes I just groan and kick off the sheets.

But on this day... something was a bit different. For starters, I woke up instantly, even though it was four thirty A.M.

"Huh. That's... and my voice?"

I brought a hand to my throat, before realizing that said appendage felt a bit off. So I went about extruding it from under the bedsheets for examination. This took about, oh, ten seconds? Let's call it ten seconds. Eventually, I was able to focus on the end of my arm.

It... kinda just ended. Also, it was pink and fuzzy.

"Okay, that's a bit weird. As is my voice, apparently." I twisted my arm around to view it entirely, noting that there seemed to be a second wrist where my elbow should be... and that my elbow itself had moved up a bit. "So... forelimb designed for support. Quadruped? I'm just going to call this a hoof until another name presents itself."

Was I freaking out? Well... no. I'm a pretty chill guy when it comes to the strange and unusual, mostly because I myself am strange and unusual. I know, I know, it sounds sueish and cliche, but... yeah, as an Aspie I kinda had to focus on nonnormal things for most of my life. People were... disturbing. Most people. A few, though, they managed to connect to me in high school--

I'm sorry, you came here for ponies, not nostalgia! Unless you're a Dream Valley fan, in which case win-win!

So I finished examining my hoof and decided that I should probably check on the rest of my body. Lifting my covers, I peered under; mmmmyep, I was pink and fuzzy all over. Cept for the tail, which was more of a tangled mess then anything and actually seemed to be fuchsia. And my cutie mark, mostly hidden by the green sheet and shadows. To top the whole thing off, I was wearing a blue circle-print pajama shirt and, I belatedly realized, matching socking cap.

"Alright, I'm calling it now. Pinkie Pie. Voice, mane, hooves, sex change and all." Rolling my shoulders, I streeeeetched out in imitation of my patient pet cat Disney (God rest his soul), eventually bucking the sheets off my body and to the side.

I should now mention that I had a loft bed. You know, the kind with a ladder. This was, primarily, because the floor of my room was littered with books, legos, drawings, and papers in a semi-organized mess. At the time, the loft bed had seemed like a good idea.

"Ladder, hooves. Ladder, hooves." I glanced from forelimb to descending plane, and furrowed my brow. "Hokay. This is gonna be a little complicated."

Now, you're probably thinking that I went straight for the ladder. You're wrong. What I did instead was slowly stand up on all fours, stretching my neck forward as my mane brushed against the ceiling. "But Reid," you're asking, "How did you have room to--"

Wait what? Who is Reid? I'm Reid! Reid X.P. at your service. Didn't I mention that?

Anyway, as I was saying before the flow of the story was so rudely interrupted... "But Reid," you're asking, "How did you have room to stand up when you were on a loft bed?" Well, my bedroom's on the second floor, so the ceiling kinda slopes with the roof. If I'd been human I wouldn't have been able to manage it, and even as a waist-high pony it was still a bit of a squeeze, but if there's anything about Pinkie Pie's body you should know it's that it's flexible. Like, oh my gosh is this girl part balloon animal flexible. Makes sense though...

Once I was up on all fours, I began the process of testing each limb's mobility, twisting their joints in a casual wave until I felt familiar with them before putting them back on the mattress and beginning with the next one. That took me, oh, two minutes I suppose... Deciding I was comfortable enough with my new body, I dug in with my forehooves and swung my rump over to the ladder. It was a bit of a hassle to gain purchase on a set of rungs, since my anklebone was longer then I remembered, but eventually I managed to click my hooves on. Quite pleased with my success, I brought one forehoof down to the topmost rung, then extended the corresponding rear leg out. Uh-huh, looking good. I released my mattress from its death grip, casually bringing the last hoof onto the ladder and simultaneously extending my OTHER rear leg....

"WhoaheyWAAGH!"

Yeah. That's when it all went cartoonishly clumsy. If I didn't keep that futon mattress under my bed... well, anyway, I survived.

"At least it wasn't a triple bunk this time," I muttered, rolling into a standing position. "No broken bones, few bruises, tail seems to be okay.... Of course it would be okay, it's hair. Reid, is Pinkie Pie's neurology getting to you already or is this just your own natural randomness?"

I paused, considering my last words as I tilted my head.

"...Okay, from now on, check thoughts for felt texture."

Existential crises averted--I'm more of a pencil-sketch/3d-graphic thinker, you know, sorta like Skyward Sword--I considered my next move. Well, since I wasn't wearing pants, that could be an issue, but then again ponies seemed to sheathe genitalia so maybe nobody would mind. Actually, that was a more practical problem: where were Pinkie's, ahem, holes? Grabbing a pair of jeans with a hole between the legs and, after a moment's debate, some underwear from the laundry basket I'd left sitting out the last night, I went to open my door. Fortunately, it had a handle, and not a knob. Score one for practicality!

By this time it was about, let's say, four fifty? Yep, that's good. I'm not good with time, I have to constantly look at digital clocks. But fortunately for me, nobody was awake. So I trotted across the floor to the upstairs bathroom, which was actually a sink-room and a halfbath. I shut the door and took a look at myself in the mirror.

"...Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie! What's your name?"

Sorry, had to be done. After I finished giggling at my little joke, I decided to turn to more practical matters. Namely, showing the mirror my rear.

Before any of you start gasping in horror, this was purely practical and I was only identifying exit ports, not entry ports. I don't get off on looks. The only thing that arouses me is romance. Strange but true.

"Well, doctor Pinkie, analysis is complete. I thiiiiink it might be time for the practical." Thus saying, I turned my head to the toilet room, took a deep breath and walked in.

Two minutes later, I walked out, somewhere between disgusted and pleased. "Pinkie, I don't know WHAT you ate but I guess I should thank you for helping me with the lesson. Ugh. Maybe that was hay, ponies eat hay..." That triggered another set of questions in my head, relating to the dietary requirements of equines. I groaned as I realized that I wouldn't be able to pack sandwiches for lunch anymore, but tapped my hoof when I remembered the eggs that Rarity had served for breakfast in an episode devoted to sisterhood.

I pulled on my pants, jamming my tail through the hole. Before I left the bathroom, I glowered at the mirror. "Real life ponies are CHEST HIGH. You, Pinkie, are WAIST HIGH. And now I have to suffer for the designer's oversight. I am put out, missy, very much put out!"

With a toss of my mane and a distinctly Rarity-like "Hmmph!" I trotted down the stairs. Well... okay, I fell down the stairs to the first landing, shook my head, got up, and went a bit more carefully down the second half. Time for cereal!

"...Hooves. Spoons."

....Time for waffles!

This is how I learned a pony's nose could get really cold really fast when exposed to a freezer's cold, although it might have just been Pinkie's uniquely cartoonish nature. After breaking off the icicles, I plunked the waffles in the toaster and sat down on the floor to wait.

It was about this time that I finally realized something. I was, in fact, a pony. This, while not something really bad, was at least distinctly unusual. More so then my usual unusual levels.

"This is going to be an interesting day, isn't it."