• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 9,940 Views, 810 Comments

Awakening Pink - Masterweaver



Waking up as Pinkie Pie. Not the usual way things go....

  • ...
46
 810
 9,940

PreviousChapters Next
Pink Maned Philosophers

My wonderful concoction eventually was used up, as is wont to do with drinks. I stared out the window at various passing cars, trying to count how many were with that collection of brony guards Harold had pointed out. As the minutes wore into hours, however, I became aware of a certain... snippish pain extending from my rear.

Finally I couldn't stand it any more. "How do you deal with the kinks in your tail?"

Erishy pointed toward the mass of pink hair between her legs. "Sit on it, don’t shove it behind you."

Parts of me that I am ashamed to admit I have made a connection to the image, and I turned my gaze away. "I... am not going to touch that one, I’m not that kind of guy..."

The pegasus gave me a surprisingly saucy grin. "Oh come on, no jokes from Pinkie on that?"

Um... Pinkie?

Oh, sorry. I prefer my humor to be all ages, that way I can keep friends of all ages. Wow, this Psychonauts game in your head is amazing!

Yeah, shame I only watched the LPs. "Huh, apparently she never went to that part of comedy class. Weird."

Ersihy smiled a bit. Her eyes wandered out to the road.

After a moment, she gave me a curious glance. "Can Pinkie take over or have you two not gotten that far yet?"

"Actually, the way my mind is structured, Pinkie could have taken over from the beginning." I knew I'd let some of my darker characters out to play, and I was sure the Pinkenator had taken the wheel once or twice. "She just doesn’t do it often."

That would be really mean of me!

"Says it’s rude."

"Do you think its rude if she takes over?"

I shrugged. "I have no clue. I’m deferring to her judgment on that one." It was a simple fact that Pinkie Pie had more social awareness then I ever did. I gave the pegasus a small grin. "Is this going to descend into one of those deep philosophical conversations?"

"It could..." she admitted.

"Oooookay then. You go first. Deep question. I answer. Go."

Erishy made that half-heard sound of laughter that had been deliberately held back, but there was a ghost of a smirk on her face. "Okay, deep question. You and Pinkie were paired up for a reason, what do you think it was?"

"On my side, confidence. On her side, restraint." Really, that was what was the most opposite about us. "That was easy." I tapped my chin, trying to think up a good counter-question. "Alrighty then: If a man and a woman meet and fall in love, but it turns out the man is infertile, should they get a sperm donor or adopt?"

"Well..." The pegasus bit her lip. "Science has made that obsolete, you can make an egg out of skin cells, but the philosophical part of that... I think they should adopt. The third party can cause so much pain... taking a hurt child in can mend more and do more good than the other option. Unless the woman only wants to have a baby to give birth... then she needs to think over her priorities."

I nodded. "We’re in agreement on that bit. Parenting is not at all related to birthing and is a much bigger responsibility. Less painful though, I think..."

"...My turn?"

"Go ahead."

Erishy took a deep breath. "Okay, my question is, if I am both Erica and Fluttershy, how do I know my own thoughts are still mine? How do I know my own mind isn’t skewed by the process?" Her voice seemed to slip up a bit.

My Fluttertear senses kicked into overdrive.

"A mind constructs itself from its components. If you are two made one, then your thoughts are your own. Is there an alien influence? Are there two in that skull? Or are you really merged? If you are really merged, then your thoughts are your own because you are the only one in there thinking."

"I wonder who I am now... I sometimes feel like I am leaning one way or another but..."

"Hey, I had that before I met Pinkie. Trust me, that’s just you weighing the options, er... processes." That wasn't comforting at all. "What I’m saying is..." good metaphor, good metaphor... "Even if you’re leaning, you have to have a fulcrum, a starting point, right?"

I gave her a hopeful smile, but I couldn't tell if I had reassured her at all.

"Y... yeah... your turn."

"...Should I ask a deep question or a ridiculous one to cheer you up?"

Ah, there was that amused grin. "Ask whatever you want, Pinkie."

"I just did, your turn!" I decided not to protest at the name.

She giggled at my little joke. "Okay, okay. Have you started planning your first party?"

"Hay no. Improv is the name of the game. There’s no guest list and no supplies. Although, tomorrow is Halloween...." That could actually be fun. I sent a few of my ideas off to the felt area of my head for review. "Hmmm. Well, your turn anyway."

"That was my question."

Er... what? "I told you, I didn’t start planning..."

"Are you trying to trick me into asking all the questions?"

I took in her sly smile as I thought about what I had just said. Lissee, so there was my joke question, then her party question then my... my... oh flark.

"....Yes, yes, I am and I’m not trying to cover up a sudden lapse in pattern memory, nope. But if you like, I can ask a question."

"Yup, its your turn."

"All right then." Hmmm, so she'd asked me about parties... "Aside from the horse, have you talked with any animals?"

"No, I haven’t tried. Though in Equestria I wasn’t able to talk to them so much as... I sort of knew how they communicated. which chirps meant hungry or scared."

I nodded in understanding. "Yeah, I’m that way with cats. Grew up learning from Disney... was convinced I was part cat for a while."

"You are so Pinkie," Erishy commented with a grin.

"Pinkie’s social. I’m not."

It was meant as a lighthearted jab, but I saw the pegasus deflate.

"...Maybe that will be a benefit of the merge, you'll be happier around others."

I considered her words. I could just play eager, but... "....do I really want to stop being an aspie though? It feels like I’m betraying the whole autistic community."

She snapped her eyes to me with surprise. "Aspergers? You have Aspergers too?"

"Er... yeah? It wasn’t, you know, obvious?" The whole I'm not social I retreated into creativity thing? Then again, part of being me was my lack of communication on such topics.

"I was diagnosed at the age of eight. Well, Erica was. Apparently I ‘grew out of it’ somewhere around the time that I lived on my own for 4 years."

It sounded like a false diagnoses to me. All too common. "You don’t grow out. You adapt... learn to tolerate. People... they have this...." I tried to think of a good word. "Radiation or something, I don’t know, and when they focus on you it’s like they’re shooting beams of radiation...."

"I understand. I really do. But imagine how much of an inspiration you could be to others, you’re the party pony! You could show them that there are good gatherings."

Did she just--?!

"Do you know I read a book that actually suggested brainwashing as a cure for autism?" I began calmly. "I’m not even kidding. Some sort of copper wire treatment, I can’t remember the details. To be fair to the author, she herself wasn’t autistic and just wanted her daughters to have a normal life, but... I don’t think she realized what she was advocating."

Belatedly, I realized I was ranting. Not a wild sort of rant, but one fueled by quiet anger at, I shamefully realized, was an honest though not understanding attempt to help.

"...I’m sorry, I just have a kneejerk reaction to people saying 'Here is how to be normal.'"

She gave me a sorrowful look. "There is a difference between hope and... and that. You can have hope in growing."

Growing? I always grew. I just didn't grow the same way others did. And their attempts to help me become one of them were just... suffocating.

"...Eyes on the road, please. Your turn." I decided to drop the subject.

"Okay..." She turned her gaze back to driving. "I... have decided, or at least... in my opinion, we are all driven by Hope and Fear. with Love as the exception. What do you think?"

What...?

"....snrk..."

A single drive?

"....pffffffft...."

For all of humanity?!

".....heh, heh heh, hahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" I noticed Erishy glowering at me and tried to clamp down on my laughter. "I’m sorry, I, I’m sorry, but... okay, hold on, let me gather myself here.

After a few moments, and a couple of deep breaths, I clapped my hooves together.

"Okay. Here it is. Nothing drives humanity. Actually scratch that: Humans drive humanity."

The pegasus frowned. "Well... I like being able to peg things down."

How to explain this... "Alright, how about we start at the very beginning. Human children come into the world and what do they know? Eat, sleep, breathe..." I grinned a bit. "Cry when you’re upset, make dirty diapers... and there’s one other thing. Guess. Go on, guess."

Erishy mused on my words. "I would say they are afraid.. because they don't understand their surroundings."

"Nnnnnno." Afraid of the unknown was a good guess.... "You’re on the right track though. Try again!"

"They are hungry?" she tried, confused.

I sighed. "Aaaaand you lost it. They have one other instinct, Erishy, one other ability. What is it?"

"They know love... the love of their family..."

"As much as I want to say yes to that, because that would be awesome, I’m going to have to call three strikes. They know how to learn."

The pegasus gave me an uncomprehending look. "But why do we learn? We learn because we hope for the future, or we are afraid of what we don’t know."

"See, you’ve got it backwards." I twisted my hoof around to demonstrate my point. "We need to learn hope and love and fear, just as much as we need to learn to walk and talk. A human is constructed by its own mind; it is the product of its environment insomuch as it decides to be. Humans make themselves, and therefore every individual human has their own set of drives."

It sounded so wild and random now that I said it. And... "In fact..."

Suddenly I was hit with an epiphany.

"I think that’s why humans tick off Discord so much."

Erishy smiled. "I think we are both right. Humans are a big contradiction."

"Paragons of chaos, and yet we have embraced harmony! We should all be at each other’s throats, but love is the guiding concept of many civilizations! Ha! Discord can’t accept that!" I giggled, reveling in my revelation and the lord of Chaos's incomprehension. "Wimp."

We drove on in mutual amusment for a while. Then suddenly the pegasus remembered something. "Oh, your turn."

"Okay, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood measured in metric tons?"

PreviousChapters Next