• Published 29th Oct 2012
  • 9,934 Views, 810 Comments

Awakening Pink - Masterweaver



Waking up as Pinkie Pie. Not the usual way things go....

  • ...
46
 810
 9,934

PreviousChapters Next
Thorsday Morn

I spent the night dreaming about a spider kitten hunting some ratlizards with dramatic technoclassic background music. Okay, so it was a little more complicated then that, but it was a normal dream for me. Occasionally I would glance to the side and see Pinkie in her felt area, but she didn't actually walk over.

It was also a terminally short dream. Sigh... I miss long dreams...

By chance, I happened to wake up as the sun's rays began to stretch over the horizon. My lips opened in a massive yawn, wider then a manhole covering, before I began to struggle out of my sleeping bag. "Mmmmmmm. Good old crazy dreams..."

My eyes wandered over to the east, and there I caught sight of my voice-sister. She was watching the sun rise, a Fluttershy plushie in her forelegs. As I walked up, I noticed the plushie was partially painted black, which was... strangely metaphorical, I guess. I sat down next to her, still in my pajamas.

A tune began to pass, almost unconsciously, through my lips. "...Wake up in the morning, it’s a brand new day ahead..."

Erishy giggled. "You always so happy in the morning?"

"...the sun is bright, and the clouds smile down, and all your friends are dead...." I grinned a bit. "But the ocean is so friendly, the big bright blue diamond stratosphere, and you know you’re going to have buckets of fun, as soon as you can get out of here..."

She turned to me with a quirked eyebrow. "So.. no. Not happy in the morning. That is a pretty dark song to be singing."

"I didn’t write it!" I protested lightly. "And hey, it has a nice beat. Come on."

The pegasus shook her head at my antics, but there was an amused smile on her face.

"Runnnning from Skipper Plumbthroat, last night he murdered all of your friends..." My body began to sway in time with the tune. "Hiding, from, Ski Per Plumb Throat, Gottaaaaa run from your end...."

After a moment, Erishy decided to hum along with me. I grinned, heading over to my sleeping bag and rolling it up.

"He came last night while you were all asleep, and you narrowly avoided death.... you hid behind a rock while he got to work, now there’s no buddies to tangle with--"

"Quick question." Erishy turned to me with concern. "Do you think we will be able to defeat Discord?"

"Defeat...." I considered the question carefully, tilting my head and attempting to find a good way to answer it. "Hmmm. What do you mean by defeat? Stop? Kill? Turn to good?" That last one was tinged with sarcasm.

"Stop. I just want him to stop hurting people."

"Ah. Well, probably." I shrugged, balancing on my rolled up sleeping bag in a manner that would be sitting if I were still human. "Assuming we’re in the subprime, anyway, but there’s no evidence we’re not. You have no idea what I’m talking about do you?"

Erishy let herself fall to the ground, looking up at the sky. "I imagine you are staying so calm through all of this by assuming some sort of multiple universe theory. Sounds like something Pinkie would do. Subprime would mean we aren’t the true reality, and you would be assuming that the primary reality ha--"

"STOP WHOA! NO TRUE REALITY." I held out a hoof. "Okay. Rewind."

How to explain this....?

"...Yes, there are primes that sing louder than other universes and cause echos, but that doesn’t make them any less real. Everything happens somewhere, right?"

She turned her head to me with a placating smile. "Semantics."

"Not so!" I assured her firmly. "To assume writers create is to attribute godhood."

"You are a pink pony. Talking about multiple universe theories." She quirked an amused eyebrow.

I snorted, waving a hoof at her to indicate that while she had a point it wasn't actually one that mattered. "You ever play the Myst series?"

Erishy nodded... before scrunching up her eyes. "Well... I remember them. Keep in mind I also remember raising Angel bunny so I don’t have as tight a connection to my memories as you do."

"Atrus versus Gehn. Gehn says 'WE MAKE THE WORLDS!' Atrus says 'Nah, we just link to them.'" I clapped my hooves together. "That’s my point here. Everything happens somewhere, so everything is fictional, depending on where you stand."

"So you are saying that you assume our world or existence is going to be one where we stop Discord."

I shook my head. "I assume that for us this is real and that for somebody in another universe this is just fanfiction. Or heck, original fiction and the whole MLP FIM phenomena was constructed for the sake of the plot. It all depends on where you stand." My hoof tapped thoughtfully against my jaw. "This could even be recursive fanfic, you know...."

With a snort, I shook my head. "My point is, the 'Are we going to' question can only be answered by action."

The pegasus sat up, looking me in the eye. "Reid... I have spent a lot of time hurting. I have spent a lot of time trying to find reasons for that pain. If I start to think that some being in some reality somewhere caused it directly? I will lose it."

"NO, this is not what I am saying." My hooves went up in a defensive gesture, eyes darting around wildly to figure out how to explain. "...Okay, you write, right?"

"When I can, yes."

"And your characters always suffer something, major or minor." That was the nature of conflict after all... I leaned forward, fixing her with a firm look. "Are you inflicting it on them? Or are you just recording it?"

Let me just say it is unnerving to have Fluttershy glower at you. "I never said I was a good person."

"You never said you were a bad one either," I countered.

She shrugged, eyes falling to the ground. "I don’t think I could write anymore. Not as a mix of these two minds. It would be too painful. When I wrote in the past, I gained a certain....."

"Apathy?" I suggested.

"Catharsis." Erishy nodded to herself. "I was able to take my pain and inflict it on a fictional character. I was able to release it and have some construct deal with it."

"And in this universe, they are a construct," I assured her. "But, given the sheer nature of infinity, they existed both prior and after your writings. What happened to them, BY CHANCE, matches up to what you wrote. And they also happen to have more experiences."

She glanced at me with a small smirk. "I think Pinkie is rubbing off on you a lot more than you let on."

"Nah, I did the whole multiverse thinking before Pinkie." I tried to figure out how to clarify what I meant... before an obvious example hit me. "Okay, take Fluttershy."

"I am Fluttershy."

"EXACTLY! So do you have any memories not from the show?"

Erishy stared off into the distance for a few minutes. "...Yes. I remember, for example, the nightmare that Erica shared with me. I remember my childhood which was never shown."

My hoof pointed firmly at her words."That’s my point. The fandom only knows Showshy, because that’s all that was written. But you are more than that. Therefore all characters are."

"So since I existed and came to this world in which I was created separately, it proves your multiverses."

"More importantly it proves that writers do not control the written."

A question cropped um in my head, and I gave an awkward laugh. "And, um, speaking of memories native to another universe--"

"SHUT UP I'M TRYING TO SLEEP STILL!"

Both of us jumped a little, looking at the tent which housed a grumpy white unicorn.

"....yes, anyway. Ahem." I turned back to her, lowering my voice a bit. "Me and Pinks still haven’t fully synthesized, so... there are, ahem, details that... I need to know... since, you know, male before, different species..."

Oh geeze, this was awkward.

"...Just in case it comes up. You know."

She chuckled a bit, giving me a motherly smile and taking my hoof. We walked away from the early morning tents for a while, until we were some distance into the little campground. Then she turned to me, a very very very faint blush on her cheeks. "What do you need to know? Besides the most obvious bits."

I snorted. Time to be charmingly blunt. "Since I have a different definition of obvious than most people, let’s start with 'Lady bit maintenance' and go from there."

"You wash yourself," she replied with a roll of her eyes, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. "Besides that, mares go into heat once a year and you just either take lots of cold showers or steer clear of any stallions. Not a problem here." Her gaze flicked back to the tents for an instant. "Well, less of one."

I coughed gently. "Many fics suggest regular artificial relief might handle that problem."

Erishy put on a bright, charming, and utterly sarcastic smile. "Hi, my name is Fluttershy. Not sure if you've ever watched the show or thought about what total recluse means, but I sort of never even thought about it. That time of the year I just spent a lot of time cleaning my house."

I shook my head; good enough an answer as anything. "Okay then. Good to know that. Lesbian pony sex."

Alright, maybe I just flung that last bit on for a reaction, and I totally got it. Yellow fur going bright red is adorably hilarious. "W-What?"

"The pegasus I mentioned was married to a unicorn mare." Technically true, and a convenient excuse.... which actually brought up a different point. "Oh, random question: Transgender pins, real or fake?"

She took a deep breath. "Are you talking about fanfictions? Um, okay so in order." Her hoof shot up, flicking forward as she listed off the relevant points. "There is homosexuality in Equestria, but sexuality in general is sort of a subdued thing compared to Earth. We don’t throw it around or make others pay attention to it."

"I don’t either," I assured her, "I just RPed it for the sake of the characters."

"I know... I know, and Erica did that too." Erishy shook her head. "I did that, whatever. But in the end, Equestria is full of friendship. Most of the time couplings are based as much on how close and friendly two are then some sort of contract. Marriage is only around to give a legal basis for adoption and family structure, but it doesn’t mean anything different than close friends."

I leaned back a bit, smiling awkwardly. "You... do realize there’s more than one kind of close friend, right?"

The pegasus shook her head. "Not in Equestria. A close friend is a close friend. Sexual interactions are so rare that usually a friendship doesn’t change after such a thing, since the friends were so close. Regardless, Transgender pins don’t exist because there are no Gender Identity issues in Equestria."

"Yeah, the fanfic basically had them as an excuse for the lesbian mares to actually have kiddos." I coughed awkwardly, realizing I may have opened a path that I didn't want to tread just yet. "Sooooooo just to be perfectly clear on where I stand: No sex before marriage, too many potential side effects, but okay with close friends."

She nodded. "Sex before marriage is like driving a car before buying it. Not supposed to but it happens all the time."

"Should I mention I don’t have a driver’s license?" I asked in a joking manner. Now that all that was dealt with, it was quite easy to slip back into a casual mindset, one where I could observe details. Like that weight on my neck... oh hey yeah! "I do have this though." Reaching under my PJ shirt, I pulled the mystic necklace and showed it off.

She seemed shocked. "Where did you get that? I mean, you weren’t holding it a second ago."

"Um. I am wearing a shirt. A PJ shirt, but... it was under the shirt." That... made sense right? I tried to remember if I actually woke up with the thing, but grew increasingly worried when I found I couldn't actually remember it.

Erishy narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "Uh huh..."

"Look, I can bend the rules of physics, okay?" So long as I could justify it vaguely, I figured, I could do anything funny. "I don’t have the hammerspace yet but I’m getting there. More importantly, though..." I waved the balloon-shaped gem in her face. "Magic bling."

She snorted. "Yeah, it is good you have that. I wonder if the others have got theirs yet."

My hoof went to my chin thoughtfully. When had this appeared? "...I think I got mine around 'Cheerio Pip Pip.'" It made sense, cheering Erishy up would fit the whole element of laughter thing.

Jacqueline walked up to us as we were contemplating things. She fiddled with her hands, nervously clutching her fingers. "Linda won’t come out of her tent."

Erishy stood up, confused. "What? Why?"

"Well given the rash of mad hoof’s disease I’m guessing our Linda woke up this morning with a big fluffy tail," I suggested amicably.

She shot me a look as we walked back to the others. "Har-de-har, I’m tired, okay?" I gave her an apologetic smile.

Of course, if we'd known who Linda had turned into... well, actually, I don't know what we would have done. Really, it was kind of a surprise, though.

PreviousChapters Next