• Published 25th Oct 2012
  • 1,392 Views, 13 Comments

Tradition - Brony Eagle Scout



Applejack continues a family tradition.

  • ...
1
 13
 1,392

Tradition

There was an unspoken tradition among the Apple family on Sweet Apple Acres. On the last Sunday of each month, we would spend the day in relaxation and not worry about the farm. Big Macintosh goes into town and frequents Berry Punch's bar with some of his friends. He usually stays later to watch a hoofball game or two if the teams are good or it's the playoffs. Apple Bloom usually spends the day with the rest of the crusaders and performs some crazy scheme on getting their cutie marks. Granny Smith didn't leave the farm as much as she used to but she tries. I'm usually with the rest of the gang, either doing something. But before any of us leave the farm, all of us talk to Mom and Dad.

Apple Bloom and Mac go separately sometime in the morning, giving the other as much time as they need to say their piece. I would head up after lunch and Granny Smith always goes during sunset. It's not uncommon for Apple Bloom to need a shoulder to cry on or for Mac to get me outta some sorry state of mind. Hay, sometimes we let out our emotions at the drop of a hat and cry together.

The weather always seemed to fit on those Sundays. It starts off with dreary overcast in the morning but the clouds always break away to show the beautiful blue sky. I don't know if Rainbow Dash is responsible for this but I would thank her if she was.

Today was no different as I walked through the familiar rows of apple trees. The path toward where Mom and Dad rested was etched in all of our minds as we walked to the only non-apple tree in the entire orchard. A beautiful oak tree grew on the tallest hill of our land and the two stones stood stalwart near its trunk. The wildflowers growing around the tree gave off a happier atmosphere around the gravesite. I sat in front of the markers and took off Dad's hat.

"Hey Mom. Hey Dad. I know things weren't going so well last time I came by but they're looking up now." I said happily.

"Turns out the big storm that I was worrying over missed the farm by a mile or two but it hit Ponyville pretty hard. Thankfully, nopony was hurt and the damage was limited to a few uprooted trees and some smashed windows. Mac and I are helping where we can and the town should be fixed up by the time cider season comes around. Hopefully, we'll get a healthy turnout and be able to fix those carts I have been fussing about the last few months."

"But enough on how work is going." I dropped the business tone. "Mac looks a lot happier nowadays. I don't know how, but it seems some mare was able to break past his shyness. I'm sure he'll bring her around the farm once he gathers enough courage. And no Dad, no one has asked me out yet. Any stallion brave enough tends to get shy after I buck the first prick out of my face. Much to your dismay Dad, I'm sure one pony will sweep me off my feet soon enough."

I looked behind me and saw four filly shaped dots heading toward town. I turned back around and started fidgeting with dad's hat, rubbing small circles on the brim. "Apple Bloom never ceases to amaze me. You two wouldn't believe how smart she is. Every week, she's going up and down the farm about the latest test she aced or how her report got a perfect score." "School must be tougher than when I was in," I looked down in shame, "because she keep's bringing back homework from school that she wants my help understanding and it's getting to the point where I have to get Twilight to help me figure it out." I brought my head up and my stubbornness started to come out. "But don't worry; I'll do my best to help her out, even if it means learning algebra all over again. And she still has got the old Apple moral backbone. She stopped two of the bullies at school from picking on another filly, Dinky I think her name was. Shoot, those two hit it off and now the Cutie Mark Crusaders are now four strong."

The pride started to wane as unpleasant thoughts started to fill my head. "I'm not sure how long Granny Smith is gonna be with us. I've already told you about how the doctor diagnosed her with something called dementia last month. I couldn't understand all the medical jargon they told me and Mac. All I can see is how her memory comes and goes during the day. Sometimes she's a steel trap and is able help with around the house. Other times, she gets a far off look in her eyes and keeps thinking she's thirty years younger. The first time we noticed that look was when she confused Mac and me with both of you, which caused both of us to break into sobs. Plus, I think all that forgetfulness has caused a spike in her temper, which is scary sometimes. The slamming of doors and the loud cursing have already scared Fluttershy from coming over and ponies from around town are starting to worry. I hope for the best but whenever she forgets who any of us are..."

I choke back a sob and wipe away the single tear running down my face. I put the hat back on and try to use my best smile which felt a bit too forced for my liking. "Sorry about that, it's just a bit overwhelming sometimes. I just wish there was an easier way to deal with her but I don't think any of us have the heart to send her away to some nursing home or Celestia forbid, a hospice."

I could feel the warm sun rays start to cover my back. It felt like a hug, comforting and safe.

Come on Applejack, you know they don't want to hear moping.

"I'm sure wondering how I'm holding up. Work keeps my mind off the stuff Granny is going through and my friends are a big help when I need them. Speaking of which, all of them are doing good. Twilight hasn't gone bonkers in a while, Rainbow Dash is going to a Wonderbolt tryout in Cloudsdale on the 14th, Pinkie Pie is hosting a party today for Time Turner and expects me to be there, and Fluttershy is still helping the animals but winter should free her from caretaker responsibilities till spring. Then there's Rarity, the one I used to complain about for months until Twi set us straight, she's the one I've been spending the most time with believe it or not. She always lends an ear for me to vent into if I need it and I do the same. She wants me to come over after Pinkie's party to discuss about something, hopefully its nothing frou-frou like dresses."

I looked up toward the sky and took note of the sun's position. With a heavy sigh, I walked up to the tombstones and placed a hoof by each of their names. I've always hated these goodbyes. It just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth after every one and it doesn't get any better. And come to think of it, I don't think it should. Moments like these remind me that I'm equine and that I have to best pony I can be. Mom and Dad would expect nothing less and I aim to make them proud.

"There aren't words that can describe how much I miss you and there isn't a day that goes by where I don't think about your smiling faces. I love you and I'll be back the same time around next month."


AN:
This is just a story that dug into my head the last few days. I know its not the best but I feel good after writing this. Feel free to comment your thoughts about if you liked it or if you hated it but I implore you, please tell me why. My writing ability can only improve if I know what needs work.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to seeing you at my next story.

Comments ( 13 )

A pretty good quick read. I saw one or two little punctuation mistakes, but nothing major, so it was pretty enjoyable. Well done.

No.... no.... no, I promised myself, I wouldn't, I.... OH, BUCK IT :raritycry:
I knew I'd cry the second I read the summary. This is so getting faved and upvoted. Amazing work.

Good job. No need for a sequel, perfect the way it is, short and all. :scootangel::eeyup:

heroeswiki.com/images/b/b2/Hirosdad.jpg
Mr. Kaito Nakamura is pleased with your work.

I don't usually read many stories that aren't noticed or famous but I'm glad I did with this one, I miss short stories sometimes, I find it hard to write long stories that all those other bronies make that get so much attention but I think this story should have much more views.

The big thing I noticed is your indentation. I noticed it was...infrequent and sparse, for lack of better terms. Now, in normal print (paper pages), I find indentation to be more suitable to indicate new paragraphs. Reading stuff on the internet, I find that a single line break is easier to indicate a new paragraph.

Also (see what I mean?), when you're starting a new subject or paragraph in speech, you don't need to put in the closing quotation marks at the end. Just begin the next paragraph with an open quotation. It shows that the person speaking isn't done talking, and they're just moving off to another subject.

"Come on Applejack, you know they don't want to hear moping."

I'm not sure if this is speech or not, but if it's just Applejack thinking to herself, then you should drop the quotation marks and italicize it instead. A character's thoughts are normally italicized to differentiate between speech and thought.

Other than that, nice piece. Whether or not you make a sequel is up to you, but I think it's just fine the way it is.

1505260

You could have just said George Takei. More people recognize the actor's name than the character's name, oddly enough.


Anywho, this fic is awesome and you should feel awesome. Take ALL the mustaches. NAO!

:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:
:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

1505650

Yeah but it makes him sound more official :3

It would have been funny if you said Rainbow Dash had the Wonderbolts tryout on the 15th instead of the 14th.
That said, I enjoyed this short piece of literature very much. Have a...:moustache:

1505100>>1505650>>1505232>>1510398
Thank you for the encouragement!:twilightsmile:

1505344
Thanks for the error and the reason it needs fixed, I thought it was already italicized so :derpytongue2:

1505320
The reason that some authors may get more attention than others is beyond me but if I have to venture a guess, it's that they are very passionate with their work and their ability to communicate that passion through words is a lot better than other writers. Thanks for the praise:twilightsmile:

Damn... it has been too long since I've gone to see my mom n' dad...

I'm usually with the rest of the gang, either doing something.

... or what...?

Also, it's say their *peace, not piece.

Login or register to comment