• Published 6th Oct 2023
  • 333 Views, 5 Comments

Tears for Mercy - daOtterGuy



Meadowbrook searches for the Swamp Heart to cure her beloved.

  • ...
0
 5
 333

Warning

“You’re going to Hayseed Swamp?” Tree Hugger asked.

“With Zecora. I need some crisscross moss for the feather sanctuary and she kindly offered to help me gather some,” Fluttershy replied. “I’m very happy she volunteered; she’s very knowledgeable about plants and knows exactly what to look for.”

“Zecora definitely has the right vibes, mare.” Tree Hugger nodded. “She’ll definitely get you what you need.”

“Oh, I’m very glad to hear that from you. It’s always reassuring to hear that things will go well with your intuition.”

“It's just listening to the universe closely and picking up on what it’s putting down.” She looked askance. “... Is there anywhere else you can get the moss from, though?”

“No, it grows exclusively in the swamp. Why?”

“Well, hm.” Tree Hugger frowned in thought as she decided how to broach the subject. “... How much do you know about natural psychedelics?”

“Only what you’ve told me.” Fluttershy let her mane fall, covering her blushing face. “... Or had me try.”

Tree Hugger nodded. “Well, then I have a really important warning for you, Fluttershy. And you have to listen to me.”

Fluttershy was taken aback by her serious tone, but nodded.

“If you find a field of pale blue flowers that give off a really sweet scent… run.”

“Oh, dear. Why?”

“It’s a tale passed down through a lot of earth pony families. Called the Somnus.” Tree Hugger hissed the last word. “Really harshing the vibe.”

“What does it do?”

“Messes with your head and convinces you that its way is the only way. Then, once it tricks you, it latches on, continuing to tell you lies to make it easier to do what it wants you to do. Tells you to save people by putting them into a deep sleep so they never wake up.” Tree Hugger shivered in revulsion. “It's a nasty flower, Fluttershy.”

“That sounds horrible!” Fluttershy exclaimed.

“It is, and people keep seeking it out in desperation.”

“Why would they ever want that?”

“The Somnus actually grows around a second flower, the Swamp Heart. A single flower that blooms every full moon that’s hidden amongst it.” Tree Hugger smiled. It was bitter. “In a bit of real cosmic cruelty, the Swamp Heart can cure any disease, but the only way to get it is if you don’t let the Somnus convince you that everyone would be better off dead.”

“... Nature can be very cruel.”

“It can, but that’s why, if you see a pale blue flower… Don’t listen to it. All it does is lie.”

Comments ( 4 )

Good story, by the way do you take story requests

Oooo. I really like that ending!

Solid story, and I like that it went for a different sort of route than the Flash Magnus fic. I do think this didn't have as solid a through-line, though, and I wonder if a different arrangement of chapters would have addressed that.

Login or register to comment