• Published 24th Sep 2023
  • 194 Views, 2 Comments

The Young Warrior: Thorax's Hope - Melody Song



When winter falls on the Hive, not all goes as planned.

  • ...
 2
 194

Epilogue: The Firelight Shines Bright Tonight

“I can’t believe we sat around the fire and sang for a good hour and a half.” Pharynx grumbled, walking down the hall with his brother.

“Oh come on Phary, it was fun!” Thorax objected, and Pharynx glowered at him.

“Don’t call me that.”

“You liked it when we were nymphs.” Thorax murmured, but dropped it.

“Anyway, I do want to thank you, Thorax.”

“Thank me?” Thorax blinked in confusion. “Why?”

“You could have listened to me and sent the changelings into hibernation at the first sign of a snowflake. But you were stubborn and didn’t give up trying to find another way. Without that, we probably never would have discovered the Love Fire, and we wouldn’t be awake now.” Pharynx said

“So what you’re saying is…” Thorax watched him intently.

“Your hopeful nature kept us all awake, which honestly, yes, is better than sleeping through the winter. You truly are the heart of the changelings, Thor. You keep us all going and without your optimism you probably wouldn’t be able to do half of the things you have done.”

Thorax still stared at him unrelentingly. Pharynx heaved a great sigh and looked at his brother.

“You really want me to say it, don’t you?”

“Please?”

“Fine…” Pharynx sighed. “You were right.”

“Yes!” Thorax exclaimed, hugging his brother.

“Yeah yeah, I get it, you were right, I was wrong, get off.” Pharynx said, and Thorax released him.

“But you admitted it!”

“Yeah yeah.”

Thorax giggled and nuzzled his brother. “I have to thank you too. For staying by my side, always. I love you brother.”

“I love you too, brother.” Pharynx smiled at him softly. “Besides, what kind of protector would let their leader go through something alone?”

Thorax chuckled and hugged him briefly. “You know you’re just a big softie.”

“I-I am not!” Pharynx objected, blushing.

Before Thorax could respond and continue to tease his brother, hoofsteps and the scent of a warm summer day hit his mouth.

“Papa Thorax!”

“Hi Apex!” Thorax scooped up the nymph, who shrieked, giggling. Ocellus and Zenith ran up behind him, carrying flattened cardboard boxes. “What are you three up to?”

“Ocellus is gonna show me an’ ‘Nithy how to sled! She sai’ Sandbar tol’ her how to an’ i’ seemed really fun!” Apex said, smiling.

“You two want to join us?” Ocellus asked, smiling at the two leaders.

“Sure, it sounds exciting!” Thorax said, while Pharynx rolled his eyes. “Come on Phar!”

“Fine.” Pharynx sighed, standing up. “What are you supposed to do?”

“You sit on the cardboard or sled on the top of a hill and ride down on it. Sandbar said it feels like riding a rollercoaster!” Ocellus said as they headed out of the Hive.

“And I’m out.” Pharynx replied, turning away from them.

“Aw, why? Is the big brave General scared?” Ocellus asked

“W-What? No!”

“Then why won’t you come sledding with us?” Ocellus asked him

“I-I don’t want to.”

“Sounds like you’re scared.”

“Alright, fine, I’ll do it! I’m not afraid of a stupid piece of cardboard!” Pharynx snarled, and Ocellus giggled, leading them out of the Hive.

-------------------------------

Apex was giggling loudly as Thorax carried him into the brother’s bedroom, wrapped in a fluffy towel after being bathed. Pharynx was already there, burrowed under the blankets and grumbling to himself.

“He yelled so loud when we wen’ down! ‘Member Papa Thorax? He was huggin’ you an’ screamin’!”

Thorax chuckled and set Apex down on the alpha’s bed, nuzzling him. “Alright Apex, I think that’s enough with teasing Uncle Pharynx.”

You are not allowed to call me that.” Pharynx huffed from under his blankets.

“Bu’ Papa Thorax, i’ was so funny!” Apex protested, and Thorax chuckled, kissing his forehead.

“I know sweetie, but Pharynx doesn’t like it so we have to be nice.”

Pharynx grunted and rolled over in bed to face away from the nymph. Apex wiggled out of the towel and opened his wings, flying over to him. He crawled over Pharynx and flopped down in the bed beside him.

“‘M sorry Uncle Pharynx, we jus’ though’ i’ was funny.”

Pharynx sighed and rolled onto his back, letting Apex climb over to sit on his chest. “It’s fine grub, I guess it was kind of funny.”

“Mhm! You wen’ like this!” Apex sat upright and then began crying out. “Ahhh! Thorax, help! I’s gonna crash!”

“Alright, alright, that’s enough.” Pharynx said, covering Apex’s mouth and blushing. “Isn’t it your bedtime?”

“Yes…” Apex sighed, as Thorax walked over, chuckling. He lifted Apex up and carried him back to his bed.

“I know today was exciting Apex, but it is bedtime.” Thorax said, smiling as he wrapped the blankets around them both as he laid down, warming them even more.

The Love Fire was still going, and continued to bathe the entire Hive in comfortable warmth. It seemed Ocellus was correct that it would continue burning for the rest of the winter season. Which was good, because Thorax had plans for what he wanted them to do. They’d discussed it earlier, and both Ocellus and Pharynx seemed sure it was because of Thorax’s desperation that caused the fire to grow so large, fueling itself mostly off his love for the Hive that he’d given to it.

“Can we open the presen’s t’morrow Papa Thorax?” Apex asked through a yawn, snapping Thorax out of his thoughts. He chuckled and nuzzled Apex sweetly.

“We can’t until Hearth’s Warming Day, Apex. That’s in a few more days.”

“Aw…” Apex sighed and cuddled close against Thorax. “Okay Papa Thorax, I can wait, I think.”

Thorax chuckled and began humming softly, lulling the little nymph to sleep. He could see his brother drifting off as well, his soft breaths causing the blanket to rise and fall as he slept. Thorax smiled as he watched his brother and son fall asleep, knowing that, as he settled down to join the two, he didn’t have to worry about them falling into a hibernation. The Love Fire was burning still, a beacon in the cold winter night.

It was thanks to Thorax’s hope, his brother’s loyalty, his son’s encouragement, and his sister’s guidance that it was there at all.

The End

Author's Note:

I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and happy holiday season. Stay tuned for the next story, A Stroke Of Luck!

~Melody Song

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment