• Published 24th Sep 2023
  • 194 Views, 2 Comments

The Young Warrior: Thorax's Hope - Melody Song



When winter falls on the Hive, not all goes as planned.

  • ...
 2
 194

A Blanket

Thorax chuckled as he watched Apex flounder through the snow drifts. The youngling had found Zenith and Ocellus and dragged them outside along with Pharynx and Thorax. The three nymphs were bundled up in scarves and Ocellus had some earmuffs she received as a gift from a friend at Twilight Sparkle’s school.

The group of nymphs weren’t the only ones marvling at the snow. Most of the Hive were also outside, laughing and talking as they walked around in the white blanket. This was the first time many of the changelings had ever seen snow, apart from the occasional early snowfall. They were usually deep in their nests by the time it appeared, sleeping through the cold of the winter.

“It’s only going to get deeper.” Pharynx commented, looking around.

Thorax nodded solemnly. Even now snow was still falling, and while the younger nymphs – including the apprentices and some even younger than five years – seemed to enjoy it, Thorax saw some worried faces on the adults.

“And when it does…” Pharynx continued his train of thought

“Pharynx, no.”

“Thorax, it’s either we find more love somehow or we go into a hibernation.”

“No…”

“Seriously Thorax, why is it such a big deal to you? If we hibernate we’ll at least be able to conserve some warmth, and if we start gathering from the storerooms now and the neighboring towns we should be able to get enough food to sustain us for the winter. More than enough if hunting patrols manage to bring back some prey before it’s all tucked up in burrows for the winter.”

“I just… don’t want everyone to miss out on a fun winter.”

“Thorax, drop the lies.”

“I’m no-”

“Thorax. I’m your brother. Don’t bother lying to me. What’s the real reason?” Pharynx asked, and Thorax sighed.

“I just think… if we hibernate, it would be showing that nothing’s really changed since Chrysalis’ rule. And I was looking forward to celebrating this winter with the traditions the ponies showed us, so we could prove we’ve all moved on from her ways.”

Pharynx sighed and placed a hoof on Thorax’s back. “I know it’s hard to think about, Thorax, but some things she did were probably for our own good. I mean, look at Apex and the others.”

Thorax glanced over, and his eyes widened in worry. Apex was looking tired, and Zenith had already laid down in the snow, while Ocellus played with her little siblings, the older nymph fighting back a yawn.

“See? The younger nymphs won’t be able to take this for long without proper warmth and filled love reserves. I’m sure some of the other adults are also feeling it.”

“I… I just…” Thorax shook his head. “We can’t.”

“Thorax, you can’t stop it, their bodies are going to naturally go into hibernation, especially if the snow keeps falling like this.” Pharynx said

“Then we try harder! M-Maybe we can transform into Pegasi and try to move the clouds, or–”

“Thorax, that won’t work and you know it. It’s been tried. We can stand on clouds but can’t manipulate them, only Pegasi – real Pegasi – can.” Pharynx objected

“But… no… there has to be some way…” Thorax insisted.

“Thorax.” Pharynx said sharply, and Thorax looked over at him. “Give it up. We’re all going to end up hibernating.”

Thorax bit the inside of his cheek nervously, watching the changelings and pacing around. He didn’t even notice how hard he was biting until he tasted the metal tang of blood in his mouth. He immediately dashed around to the other side of the outer Hive walls before spitting out the blood, not wanting to alarm anyone. Pharynx, who had evidently followed him, rubbed his back gently.

“You really don’t want this to happen, do you?” Pharynx asked

“I can’t…” Thorax’s eyes watered. “I can’t, I-I had plans for the winter… things for us to do…”

“Like what?”

“Playing in the snow, having a big feast, cuddling around fireplaces… and that ice skating thing Spike told us about while we were in the Empire, remember?”

“Thorax, I know you wanted to do that stuff but this really can’t be helped.” Pharynx said. Neither he nor Thorax noticed a certain lime green nymph poke his head around the wall of the Hive, watching them.

“I-I just… I wanted this winter to be perfect…”

“I know you did, brother.” Pharynx hugged him gently, and Thorax hugged back, beginning to cry. “Hey, come on, don’t cry, it’s okay.”

“B-But… P-Pharynx, if we go into hibernation, w-we’ll be asleep the whole winter… we won’t get to do the fun things I planned – oh… Phar… Ember and Tempest…”

“...Shi–”

“Pharynx!”

“Sorry, forgot.” Pharynx said, rolling his eyes slightly. “But you’re right… we’ll have to tell them we can’t spend the winter together.”

“And every winter after that.” Thorax sighed.

The two brothers hugged each other tightly, contemplating what they would have to tell their lovers when the time came to hibernate. As they did, Apex ducked back out of sight, a thoughtful expression on his face as he returned to his friends.

“Apex? Where’d you run off to?” Ocellus asked from where she was curled up in the snow beside Zenith.

“I think this snow’s gonna be bad for us…” Apex replied, leaning against Zenith and nuzzling him. “Tha’s wha’ i’ sounded like when I heard Papa Thorax an’ Uncle Pharynx talking.”

Ocellus and Zenith looked at him in concern, and he glanced back at the Hive, knowing his father and uncle were around the corner. The two followed his gaze solemnly. All three knew about hibernation, of course, they were all old enough to remember being put to sleep for the winter by the Queen at least once. But until now, they had scarcely noticed the fatigue in their chests just from being in the cold, and the gentle pull in the back of their minds, telling them this was not what they were meant to be doing. They'd assumed, like Thorax, that the reformation would have put an end to this... but it seemed that wasn't meant to be.

The brothers, meanwhile, were still holding each other tight, sitting amidst the snow. They made no move to leave, simply holding each other close.

As the two clutched each other, one seeking comfort and the other providing it, the snow continued to fall. It covered the stain where Thorax had spat his blood, wiping the white ground anew even as the freezing wind whipped it around them. No one else knew that they were there, sharing deep fear and concern. They were all too wrapped up in the awe of the thick snow, a blanket over the frozen soil, which now seemed to be threatening to cover the entire Hive itself.