• Published 1st May 2023
  • 998 Views, 3 Comments

A Perfect Date - WaywardSon



Rarity planned a perfect romantic date with Applejack. The night isn't quite as perfect as she imagined.

  • ...
3
 3
 998

Perfectly Flawed

Applejack frowned as she stood in front of her mirror. With her hair up in an intricate do, she held a dress in front of her towel-wrapped body. She lifted it higher over her chest, sighed, then lowered it to bring the hemline further down her thighs. "I should just wear jeans," she said.

"Whatcha mean, sis?" Apple Bloom asked from where she sprawled on her big sister's bed. "That dress looks amazing. I almost wish I had the figure for it."

Applejack looked back at her over her shoulder. "Almost? What's wrong with it that makes it an almost? 'Cuz I'm of half a mind to give it to you."

Apple Bloom shook her head. "I wouldn't take it. Like I said, I'm not built for it. It's made for someone curvier with a bigger chest, like you." She smiled. "Beside, it’s a gift from your girlfriend. Won't she get offended if you just gave it away?"

"Yeah, she would," Applejack sighed. "I don't know why we need all this just for dinner an' a movie, but she really likes it." She looked at the dress again, fussing it over her body. "I just wish Rarity would make me something more… me. She should know I won't be comfortable wearing a thing like this."

Apple Bloom sat up and looked into the bag the dress was in when Rarity dropped it off. "C'mon, try it on. Maybe you'll like how it looks when it's on ya." A grin spread over her face and she plucked something from the bag. "You might want to start with this." She said and held out a small bit of fabric bundled up in her hand.

Her brows furrowed, Applejack stepped over and laid the dress on the bed before taking what Apple Bloom was holding. She opened it up and her eyes grew wide at the sleek, silky green thong. A blush colored her cheeks. "Well that won't hardly cover nothin," she muttered.

"Go ahead an' try it on!" Apple Bloom said eagerly, lying back down on the bed and propping her head up on her hands, feet up over her bent knees. "I want to see what it looks like."

Applejack pointed towards the door. "I will as soon as you clear out an' give me some privacy."

She rolled over on the bed with a frustrated groan. "C'mon, Applejack! I never get to wear anything as pretty and stylish as all that. At least let me imagine what it's like. I can help you get everything on the right way." She shrugged. "An' it's not like we've never seen each other naked before. We share a changing room every time we go to the beach."

"We do," Applejack agreed. She raised an eyebrow. "But I didn't think that meant you spent the time eyeing up your naked sister."

Apple Bloom blanched, casting her eyes about. "No, that's not what I meant! I just noticed, is all, and I wasn't trying to look. Not for anything like… um…" She sighed and lowered her head. "I'm jealous."

Applejack's eyes widened. "Jealous? What are ya jealous about?"

She looked up a bit. "You've just gotten so… I dunno… womanly. You have curves and long legs and a really nice chest. You keep sayin' I'm growing into a young woman, but compared to you I still look like I'm twelve."

"Aww, sugarcube." Applejack sat next to her and put an arm around her shoulder. "You're already beautiful. You'll grow into the rest eventually. Just give it time. And no matter what your body looks like when you finish growing, you'll still be every bit a woman."

Apple Bloom looked up at her, smiling softly. "Thanks, Applejack."

She kissed her little sister's forehead. "You're welcome," she said, standing again. "You can stay while I get dressed."

Apple Bloom smiled, sitting up again. "Really?"

Applejack nodded. "Eeyup." She held up the green thong. "But I'm keeping the towel until these are on. It still ain't proper to go lookin' at your sister's privates."
She looked at the thin strip of silk. "Though this might not make a difference."

Apple Bloom pouted. "Aww."

Applejack sighed and stepped into the thong, sliding it up under her towel. She squirmed a bit, frowning at the feeling, lifting up on her toes as it moved into place. "That feels so weird," she muttered.

"Let's see how it looks," Apple Bloom prompted.

A slight blush returned to her cheeks, and Applejack turned to her mirror. She took a deep breath, then pulled the towel loose and tossed it on the laundry basket. Her eyes lowered and she looked at the sheer silk barely covering her mound, short blonde hairs sticking out of either side.

Apple Bloom spoke first from behind her on the bed. "Well, it definitely shows off your butt."

Applejack turned and looked over her shoulder at the mirror, seeing the thin silk practically disappearing between her cheeks. Her face got even redder as she turned to her sister. "Well, how does it look?"

Apple Bloom grimaced a little. "It looks good, but you really might want to think about shaving a bit."

Applejack groaned, pressing her fingers against the side of her face. "For goodness sake! I'm already wearing the dress she wants. I even got my hair done up fancy like she wanted. Why would Rarity get me something I have to shave to wear? She knows what I look like there!"

Apple Bloom smirked and asked with mock innocence, "She does?"

Applejack looked at her, narrowing her eyes. "Quiet, you."

Her sister giggled. "It's not that bad, sis. I can help trim it up if you want."

"Oh?" She raised a brow. "And just how do you know how to do that?"

Apple Bloom's eyes widened. "Uhh, I already said too much."

Applejack sighed and stepped over to the bed, picking up the dress. "Well, Rarity is goin' to have to take me as I am." She looked at the dress, holding it up by the tiny straps. "Figures she would make a dress I can't wear a bra with."

"Oh, like this one?" Apple Bloom asked, pulling a silky green strapless bra from the bag.

Applejack snatched the bra from her and started putting it on. "Now why would you let me walk around with my chest bare when you knew this was in there?"

She smiled sheepishly. "Slipped my mind?" she offered.

Applejack glared at her, getting the bra in place. "You and I are going to have a very long talk tomorrow, little sis." She looked down at her chest, then at the mirror. "This doesn't strap them down at all."

"No, but it lifts them up really well," Apple Bloom chimed in. At a glance from Applejack she lowered her head again. "I'll stop talking now."

She sighed. "You might as well help me with the dress."

With Apple Bloom's help she shimmied into the tight emerald-green dress, the thin straps crossed behind her neck. The dress was sheer and almost unadorned, drawing attention to her figure, then flared out to flow around her thighs. Two diamonds glittered where the straps attached beside her bust, and a single round emerald drew the eye to her cleavage.

Applejack shifted in the dress, frowning at her reflection. "I almost feel more naked with the dress on than off," she muttered.

"Sis, stop pulling at the hem. It's supposed to be there." Apple Bloom pulled the back of the dress up into position, leaving the hem at mid-thigh.

"How do you know about this, Apple Bloom?" Applejack asked, shifting around to try to make the dress cover more of her chest. "I know I never taught you anything about it, and it definitely wasn't Granny Smith."

Apple Bloom stood, hooked her fingers into the dress beside her sister's breasts and pulled it back into place. "Sweetie Belle learned a lot from Rarity, and has a lot of really pretty outfits. She lets Scootaloo and I try them on." She shifted the straps just right as a blush colored her cheeks. "That's why I know this wouldn't look good on me, since Sweetie has bigger boobs." She snapped her fingers. "Oh! There was more in the bag. One sec." She ran over and returned with sandals and a box in hand. "Here, open this." She gave her sister a jewelry box.

Applejack raised the lid of the box and gasped. On the black velvet tray within were a necklace and earrings, all in rose gold with an open rosebud motif. In the center of each bloom a single brilliant emerald shone.

Apple Bloom stood up from placing the open sandals on the floor. "What is it? What is it?" she said eagerly at the gasp. Peering over Applejack's shoulder, her eyes grew wide. "Whoa, sis. Those are so pretty!"

"It's too much," Applejack said, shaking her head. "I can't wear something like that."

Apple Bloom stepped around to her side, staring open-mouthed. "C'mon sis, ya gotta! These are too pretty not to wear. They'll make the dress look even better on you than it already does." When her sister hesitated she picked up the earrings. "At least let me put them on you before you decide."

Applejack sighed. "Fine." Her sister smiled and reached up, affixing the clips over her earlobes and arranging the earrings just so. The necklace she clasped behind Applejack's neck, then positioned the charm right above her cleavage. She knelt down and helped her into the sandals and secured the rose-gold colored straps, then stood and looked her over, smiling. "Take a look," she said and turned her toward the mirror.

Applejack, who waited through it all with a resigned expression, looked at herself. Her eyes widened at the sight. "Whoa," she breathed, looking from head to foot. "I've got to admit, it does look good."

Apple Bloom clapped her hands together, grinning. "It's more than just good. You look downright sexy!"

Applejack raised a brow and looked at her sister through the mirror. "With what we were talkin' about earlier, Apple Bloom, I never want to hear you say those words to me again."

Apple Bloom sighed. "I swear, Applejack, I was only looking because I want your body." A moment later her eyes opened wide. "I mean, not like that! I want your chest… that's not… I like your hips… I mean your butt is pretty… arrgh!" She held a hand over her face, blushing furiously. "I promise it ain't nothing improper. I'm really just jealous."

Applejack chuckled and tousled her sister's hair. "I'm teasing you, sis. You can't expect to tell me you've been peeking at me naked and not get teased about it." She walked over to her nightstand and grabbed her keys, reaching to put them in a pocket that wasn't there. "Now how am I supposed to carry what I need without pockets?"

Apple Bloom glared after her sister. At the question she perked up and hurried back to the bag on the bed. "Oh! Rarity included something for that, too." She pulled out a small, flat handbag in the same rose-gold color as the sandals, holding it out to her.

Applejack took it and turned it over in her hands. "What is Rarity thinking, giving me a little bag like this?"

"It goes with everything else," Apple Bloom said cheerfully. "It's a clutch!"

Applejack nodded as she opened the clutch. "I know what it's called. It's just, how can I fit everything I need in there?"

She raised a brow. "It's big enough for your phone, keys, and ID. What more do you need?"

"Well, there's…" She looked at the bowl holding the items that usually went in her pockets. After a moment she sighed. "Nevermind," she grumbled and loaded up just what her sister said, plus some cash. She picked up her geode, reaching to fit it around her neck.

"Applejack, you can't wear that with this outfit," Apple Bloom said, stepping around in front of her. "The color will clash with everything and ruin the whole look."

AJ turned her eyes back to her sister and she shook the geode between them. "And what if there's an emergency and I need it?"

Apple Bloom raised a brow. "You're going on a date, sis, not saving the world." She picked up the clutch and held it out. "Look, put it in here and you'll have it if you need it."

"Fine." Applejack took the bag and stashed the geode inside. "I should get goin' or I'll be late." She approached the door and reached for her hat.

"Applejack! You can't wear that, either."

She looked back at Apple Bloom. "What are you talking about? You know I don't go anywhere without my hat."

Apple Bloom hurried over. "If you put your hat on it'll ruin that pretty hairdo. Do you want to waste all that time it took to get it done?"

Applejack gritted her teeth, frowning. "This is pushing things too far," she grumbled.

Her sister took her hat from its hook and stood in front of her. "At least wait until Rarity sees you first. She did so much to make you look this good. Shouldn't you let her see the results?" She held out the hat to her. "It will make her so happy."

Applejack's shoulders slumped and she took the hat in her hand. "Fine. For Rarity." Taking a slow breath, she leaned in and hugged Apple Bloom. "Be good at your sleepover at Scootaloo's, sis." With that she stepped out of the room, heading out to her truck.


Applejack turned into the driveway of Rarity's family home, pulling her battered truck all the way back next to Rarity's sleek, new car. She looked into the rearview mirror, then glanced longingly at her hat on the passenger seat. "I hope she appreciates this."

She stepped out of the truck, started to put her keys in her pocket, then gave a frustrated groan and grabbed the clutch from the seat. She shook her head as she stowed her keys and retrieved her phone. "I'm never gonna get used to this thing," she muttered. Walking to the front door, she texted Rarity

AJ: I'm here, Rarity. Right out front.

She looked at the door, listening for anyone approaching from inside. A moment later her phone buzzed.

Rar: 💖 doing finishing touches 💄 come on up 🚪🔓

She smiled at the message. Of course she's still getting her makeup on. She opened the door and stepped in, glancing around for anyone who might greet her. The house was quiet except for the muffled sound of music from upstairs. She carefully climbed the stairs, still a little wobbly in the sandals, and followed the music to Rarity's room. She reached for the door handle when she recognized the song. It was one of theirs from The Rainbooms, Side By Side. Smiling, she gave a quick knock before opening the door.

Where her room was simply decorated with pictures of friends and family in a country theme ("rustic" Rarity called it), Rarity's room whispered artistic elegance. From the four-poster bed to the framed sketches and photos of fashion designs, both hers and from other famous designers, strategically decorating the walls. Applejack knew from experience of helping her redecorate that every paint color, every bit of trim, every light source was carefully and exhaustively chosen.

Rarity sat at her dressing table, wrapped in a towel, peering into the triple-paned mirror as she carefully applied mascara. She glanced up and gasped, setting down the applicator, then turned and stood. "Oh, Applejack," she said with awe in her voice. "You look stunning!" She hurried over and, resting her hands on Applejack's arms, kissed her warmly.

Applejack stepped into the kiss, holding Rarity at the waist. After a moment they pulled back. "And you look… almost naked," she said with a smirk. "Not that I'm complaining, but didn't you say you were doing 'finishing touches'?"

Rarity laughed and kissed her again, briefly. "Oh, Applejack. The dress is the finishing touch. Well, that and accessories." Her smile took on a knowing look. "If it were any other night, I'd suggest we skip the rest and stay here, but this reservation took weeks to get! I want tonight to be perfect, so I won't be a minute." With that she stepped away, giving her a wink over her shoulder.

With a chuckle, Applejack followed her into the bedroom. "Someone's feeling frisky today," she teased, setting the clutch on the bed. "I should have known as much when I saw the house was empty. I know where Sweetie Belle is, but where are your parents?" She leaned against the corner of the bed, watching Rarity finish her makeup.

"On another cruise," she said. "They just left yesterday, won't be back for a week." She smiled into the mirror, looking at Applejack's reflection. "So we can take all the time we want when we get home."

Applejack chuckled. "Extra frisky," she said, matching Rarity's smile. "But you'll have to wait until after dinner and the movie."

Rarity pouted, then used it to apply her lipstick. "Honestly, darling, with the way you look in that dress, I don't know if I'll have the willpower to resist. You are absolutely gorgeous." She smiled, satisfied with her makeup, and stood again. Taking a black dress from a hanger, she stepped towards a changing screen in front of her full-length mirrors. "If you'd like," she said, looking back over her shoulder with a mischievous smile. "You could help me get dressed." She loosened her towel, letting it fall away to reveal a black strapless bra and thong almost identical to Applejack's.

Applejack grinned, taking a brief moment to enjoy the view as Rarity clearly intended. "Any other night, Rar. Tonight we have dinner with those reservations that were so hard to get. Remember?"

With an exaggerated pout, Rarity sighed. "Oh, alright. I'll just be a moment." She stepped behind the screen, hips swaying, and started to dress.

AJ shook her head, still grinning, and sat on the bed. "I hope this place is as good as you say, with all the fuss you're putting us through." Looking up, she saw the screen was positioned where she could clearly see the tall mirror from the bed. Not an accident, she thought, watching her girlfriend shimmy into her dress. Confirmation came when Rarity looked into the mirror, meeting AJ's eyes, and smiled. "After the movie, Rarity," she repeated, but didn't look away.

Rarity didn't respond except to blow a kiss, then finished getting dressed. AJ saw her fussing with jewelry behind the screen, finally smiling as she looked herself over. She stepped out from behind the screen into a practiced runway pose. "Ta-da!" she said with a flourish, turning so the lighting caught the diamonds in her earrings and necklace. "What do you think, darling?"

The dress hugged Rarity's curves like AJ's did, flaring out below her hips. Rhinestones glittered from strategic places along her curves, drawing the eye up to her face. A few small emeralds over her heart subtly interrupted the pattern and echoed the emeralds at her neck and ears. Diamonds dominated her jewelry, but small emeralds shined through from the center of each piece except one: her geode.

Applejack felt a twinge of the frustration from earlier, but smiled anyway, swallowing it down. "You look beautiful, Rarity," she said, standing and crossing over. Kissing her again, her brows furrowed and she pulled back. "Wait. Are you shorter than normal?" She looked down over her legs all the way to her feet, and the open sandals like the ones Applejack wore. "Don't you usually wear heels with something like this?"

She smiled and stepped over to the changing table. "Oh, I may have in the past, darling, but flats are in this season. Besides, aren't these just adorable?" She held a foot up, turning it to show off the black straps against her white skin.

Applejack chuckled, shaking her head. "Do I need to get the 'darling' jar?" she asked with a wink.

Rarity giggled. "Now, Applejack, we agreed that I can only say it with you, and about you." She reached up and caressed Applejack's cheek, looking deep into her eyes. "Because you are darling to me." She leaned in and kissed her tenderly.

AJ closed her eyes, letting the kiss soothe her. "I love you, too, Rarity," she said as their lips parted. "Should we get going? We don't want to be late, do we? Unless that's what we're supposed to do. You never want us to show up on time for parties and the like."

She smiled, giving her hand a squeeze. "If it were a party, being fashionably late would be a good thing. But this is a reservation at Harmony, the hottest restaurant in Canterlot City. If we're late we may lose our table." She reached up and trailed a finger along AJ's jawline. "We do have time enough for me to put some makeup on you, if you'll let me."

Applejack turned away, stepping back to the bed. "You know I don't like to get made up in public. It's one thing to let you do it in private, but out in front of people feels wrong. Can't I just go as I am?"

Rarity sighed in disappointment. "Of course you can. I just know a little makeup would make you so beautiful." She stepped over to where her phone continued through her Rainbooms playlist. "So we have a few minutes before we have to go. If you want, we can listen to more music… on the bed."

Her smile faded over Rarity's makeup comment, but the proposal made her slowly shake her head. "Heh, we should get going, Rar. You and I both know if we start 'listening' we'll be very late to dinner."

"Oh, you're right, I suppose," Rarity said. She stopped the playlist, slipping her phone into a simple black clutch on her dressing table. "You're always so practical, my love."

AJ chuckled and stepped to the door. "And you always have a lot of passion, sugarcube. C'mon, we want to avoid traffic."

Rarity stopped, watching her open the bedroom door. "Aren't you forgetting something, Applejack?" At AJ's confused expression, she leaned down to the bed and picked up the rose-gold clutch. "Wouldn't want to leave this behind, would we?"

She sighed, rolling her eyes. "I swear I'm never going to get used to carrying that thing around." Crossing back over, she reached for the clutch in Rarity's outstretched hand.

At the last moment Rarity pulled it behind her back with a giggle. "Don't I get a reward?"

A small and knowing smile touched Applejack's lips and she stepped in close. Her hands rested on Rarity's waist. "Oh, you want a reward, do you?" she asked in a husky voice, looking deep into her eyes.

Rarity bit on her lip, pressing up closer to AJ. "Mmm, yes, I want it," she purred. She tilted her head back, eyes fluttering closed.

AJ brought her lips close, slipping her hands around behind Rarity. After a long moment she smirked, quickly kissed Rarity's nose, and snatched the clutch from her hand. "After the movie," she repeated and sauntered toward the door, chuckling.

Rarity's eyes snapped open and she stared after her, open-mouthed. "Applejack! That's not fair." She chased after Applejack into the hall and down the stairs. By the time they reached the entryway they were both laughing. She caught up and pulled her into an embrace, kissing her. "Why is it you always tease me so much?"

AJ grinned back at her. "Because you love it when I do," she said, then kissed her again.

"Hmm, true." She pulled away, looking into the large mirror by the door and checking her hair and makeup. "We make quite the couple, don't we? We're going to turn more than a few heads at Harmony."

Applejack looked at Rarity instead of the mirror. "You'll be the center of attention for sure. At least, of my attention." She took her hand. "C'mon, time to go."

They left hand-in-hand, pausing to lock the door, and walked around to the driveway. "Let me get my keys out," Applejack said and opened her clutch.

Rarity rested a hand of AJ's before she got the keys out. "I thought we might take my car tonight." She smiled. "Your truck is very… reliable, but my car will fit in better at the restaurant. You can still drive, if you want."

Applejack looked at her truck for a moment, then at Rarity's car. "Fine. We'll take yours. You can drive." She opened the truck's door and leaned in, coming back out with her hat in hand.

Rarity's eyes widened a bit and she stepped closer, taking hold of her arm. "Darling, I know how important your hat is to you. And your hair is so gorgeous. Aloe really outdid herself. I wonder if you might—"

"I'll leave it off through dinner," she said. "Apple Bloom reminded me how much you'd want to see me without it after getting this fancy hairdo." She looked at Rarity with a little smile. "You get dinner, but I'm wearing it to the movie."

Rarity smiled back at her, squeezing her arm. "That's all I ask. You really are the most amazing girlfriend I could have."

AJ leaned in and kissed her softly. "I feel the same way. Now let's go eat."


The ornate doors opened wide. Rarity and Applejack stepped through, arm-in-arm, laughing softly.

Applejack shook her head, grinning. “I still say we could have parked the car ourselves. A little walk never hurt anyone. And how come we can walk right past that line of people outside?”

Rarity patted her arm. “Darling, valet parking is part of the experience. And the people waiting are the reason we wanted to get here on time. If we were late, our table would go to one of them.”

“I suppose, but it feels like we’re acting like we’re better than everyone.”

She leaned in and kissed Applejack’s cheek. “Not at all. We’re just enjoying the atmosphere the owners of Harmony worked so hard to create. Try not to worry about it.”

The host looked up at them and smiled as they approached, glancing at each before setting his attention on Applejack. “Welcome to Harmony. How might I help you?”

Applejack opened her mouth to answer but Rarity interjected quickly. “Good evening. We have a reservation for Rarity.”

The host nodded and checked the tablet in front of him. Applejack looked at Rarity, seeing how she glowed with happiness and excitement, and bit back her response to being cut off. A moment later the host glanced back into the dining room and nodded. “Yes, we have your reservation, Miss Rarity. I’m afraid you are a bit early and the table is not quite ready. If you’d care to wait at the bar, I’ll bring you over as soon as it’s prepared.” He gestured to the right and stepped out of the way.

Smiling, Rarity slipped her arm around Applejack’s again and they walked past into the bar. The space opened quickly, with a long glass bar commanding attention. Lighting within it shined in many colors, red, orange, green, blue, pink and purple, that all blended together into a soft white glow at the surface. The color motif continued through the recessed lighting and out to the few small tables around the room, a subtle rainbow tying the room together. “Oh, this is lovely,” she whispered as they approached the bar.

“It sure is somethin’,” AJ said, glancing back at the entry. “How long do you reckon we’ll be waiting? Should we order something to drink?”

Rarity laughed softly, lifting a hand to catch the bartender’s attention. “It doesn’t matter how long it takes, darling. They will bring them to our table. Also, I think I know the perfect drinks for us tonight.”

Before Applejack could respond the bartender approached, her smile bright and welcoming. “Hello, ladies. You’re both looking gorgeous tonight. What can I get for you?”

“Why thank you,” Rarity said, her own smile practically glowing. “Two magic apples, please.”

AJ frowned as the bartender nodded and started making the drinks. “Shouldn’t one of us stay sober, Rarity? We do have to drive after dinner.”

Rarity giggled. “Don’t worry. A magic apple is a mocktail. There’s no alcohol in it.” She reached up, stroking AJ’s cheek. “I want this night to be perfect, and we don’t need to be tipsy for that.”

“You sure have been looking forward to it. It’s all you’ve talked about for weeks. Then designing and making these dresses, and the hair and jewelry.” She raised a brow, still smiling. “Is this a special occasion I’ve forgotten?”

The bartender returned with their drinks. “Oh, no need,” she said as Rarity reached into her clutch. “We’ll add it to your bill.”

Rarity let her fingers linger inside the bag for a moment. “Ah, of course,” she said at last, closing it again. She took a sip of her drink. “Ooh, that’s delightful. What do you think, Applejack?”

AJ sipped and her brows furrowed. “I like it, but if there’s no alcohol, why am I tasting whiskey?”

“That’s the magic part,” the bartender said with a wink. “I hope you both enjoy your evening.” With that, she moved away to work on another set of drink orders.

"I'm so glad we're finally here. I was afraid with how long it took to get reservations the place might not be fashionable anymore, but it's still the place to be." Rarity turned her smile to AJ once again. "And in that dress you are simply the most beautiful person in the room."

Applejack glanced around the bar, seeing only a handful of other patrons. “I suppose, next to you. Now, you were gonna tell me why it was so important we get dressed up tonight. Especially since you seemed so keen on us staying in earlier.”

Rarity blushed, taking another small sip to cover. “Perhaps I was a little too forward earlier. You know how you affect me, darling. But I assure you, this isn’t some special anniversary or anything for you to worry about. I just wanted us to have a night to remember.”

Applejack opened her mouth to answer when a tall woman with long, pink hair paused beside them. "Excuse me for interrupting," she said, looking AJ over from head to toe. "Your dress is amazing. May I ask who you're wearing?"

Applejack furrowed her brows, turning to the woman. “Umm, come again?”

She smiled. “I’m asking who designed your dress.”

“Oh,” Applejack said with a chuckle. “Well, that’s easy. My girlfriend here designed and made this for me.” She looked to Rarity as she spoke, finding her watching the woman with wide eyes, practically shaking with excitement.

The woman quickly appraised Rarity’s outfit and offered a hand to her. “I’m deeply impressed. Your designs go so well together. I’m Fleur de Lis.”

Rarity took the offered hand, visibly restraining herself from shaking it too vigorously. “Of course you are. Ahem, that is, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Rarity, and this is Applejack.”

Fleur raised a brow. “The same Rarity who debuted at Fashion Week this spring?”

“Ah, yes, I am,” Rarity said, her eyes widening. “You’ve heard of me?”

She laughed. “Of course I have. I was on a photo shoot at the time, but I’ve heard everyone talking about your line. If these dresses are an example, I can see why.” She leaned closer, lowering her voice. “Although with talent like this, you shouldn’t be afraid to take center stage. You should be noticed for what you do.”

Applejack hid a chuckle with another sip of her drink, shaking her head. Like Rarity’s ever had trouble being the center of attention. She saw Rarity flashing her a warning glance and held her tongue, instead trying to look happy while the conversation moved on without her.

Rarity turned a smile back to Fleur, nodding briefly. “Thank you. I’ll keep that in mind.”

From the entryway came a cultured, male voice. “Fleur, dear, are you ready to go?” They looked up to see an older gentleman in an exquisitely-tailored suit just inside the door, looking at her with obvious affection.

“Yes, Fancy, I’m coming.” Fleur looked back at Rarity. “I would love to model for you. Just call my agency when you’re preparing your next show and we’ll work it out. It was a true pleasure meeting you both.” With that, she turned and strutted toward her companion, taking his offered arm and walking out with him.

Rarity waited until they were out of sight before emitting a barely-constrained squee, turning back to Applejack with a huge grin on her face. “I can’t believe that just happened!” She leaned in and kissed her briefly. “And it’s all because you made my dress look so fabulous.”

“Well, she certainly seemed nice,” Applejack said. “Though it was pretty funny what she said about you not being the center of attention, and you’re really a lot happier about a random person liking your designs than you normally are.”

“Wha– you– A random person?” Rarity sputtered. “Applejack, darling, how can you not know who that was? That was Fleur de Lis!”

She nodded, no hint of recognition in her features. “Yeah, that’s what she said.”

Rarity stared at her, open-mouthed. “The model. Maybe the most famous model in the world. She’s been on the cover of practically every magazine there is. Judges on Tomorrow’s Fashion Star. Honestly, darling, how can you not know her?”

AJ smiled softly and sighed. “I try to keep up where I can with fashion, because I know how important it is to you. Her name and face just don’t ring a bell for me. She sounds important from what you’re saying.”

She let out a slow breath, a little smile touching her lips. “I know. It’s just that if she’s serious about modeling for me, it’s a huge boost to my career. Fleur headlining a fashion show will bring worldwide attention to my designs. I can’t pass up a chance like that.”

“Well, I’m glad something good came out of the evening for you, Rar.”

Rarity laughed and kissed AJ’s cheek. “Oh, darling, that was an unexpected bit of luck. I have so much more planned for us to make this evening absolutely delightful!”

Applejack raised a brow. “Oh? Got something more than dinner and a movie planned that you didn’t tell me about?”

“Maybe a surprise or two,” she said with a grin. “I promise you will love them, when the moment is right.”

“Miss Rarity?” the host said from the door, approaching them with a smile. “Your table is ready. If you’ll follow me, we’ll have your drinks brought to you.”

“Thank you,” Rarity said. She turned to Applejack, waiting.

AJ took a step then realized Rarity was still standing there, watching her expectantly. What’s she up to? Then realization struck, a blush touching her cheeks, and she offered her arm. Rarity slipped her arm around hers and together they followed the host into the restaurant proper.

While the bar area was beautiful, the dining room took the decor to the next level. The ceiling glittered with hundreds of angular glass panes in different colors, looking like gemstones. Like in the bar, concealed lighting made them glow, the colors slowly blending from the edges of the room to white at the center. Beneath it all, a number of round tables filled the space, each covered with a white tablecloth and spaced out significantly, giving a sense of privacy even in the open room. Dozens of other diners in tailored suits and fine dresses chatted over their meals, filling the space with a pleasant background hum of conversation.

The host led them back to a table on the far side of the room, with slightly more privacy but still giving an excellent view of the activity around them. Somehow their drinks were already in place. “Here we are,” he said, holding a chair out for Rarity, looking mildly dismayed when Applejack simply pulled out her own chair and sat down. With them seated he set two slender menus on the table. “Sunny will be here momentarily to take your order. Enjoy your meal.”

Rarity took a moment to look around as he walked away, the color and form of the decor bringing a smile to her lips. “Oh, my. It’s even more lovely than I’d heard.” Her gaze returned to Applejack and her smile widened. “And with you here, looking like that, it’s even more beautiful.” She absently opened her clutch, reaching inside. After a moment’s pause, she removed her phone. “I’d love a picture to remember this moment, if you don’t mind.”

Applejack raised a brow, glancing down at her dress. “I don’t know, Rarity. I’m not sure I want pictures of me like this all over SnapGab.”

Rarity giggled, shaking her head. “No, no, darling. This one is solely for me, to remind me of this night. No socials.”

“Oh, ah, alright, then,” AJ said. She gave a big smile for the picture, looking forced and stiff.

“Relax,” Rarity said, reaching over and taking hold of her hand. “It’s just us. Smile the way you smile at me, my love. The way that always makes my heart flutter.”

A blush colored her cheeks and she took a breath, letting the tension ease from her muscles. She looked into Rarity’s eyes, wondering once again how she was so lucky to have her in her life. She felt a smile creep onto her lips.

With a tap on the screen, Rarity nodded. “And, done. That’s the smile I meant.” She tucked the phone away and gave Applejack’s hand a soft squeeze. “Thank you. It means a lot that you let me do that.”

AJ raised their hands and leaned in to kiss the back of Rarity’s. “Only for you, Rarity. You know there isn’t much I wouldn’t do for you.”

Rarity raised a brow, her smile turning seductive. “Oh? Remind me to test how far you mean later.”

She chuckled, shaking her head. “After our date, Rar.”

Just then a woman with pale yellow skin and orange hair, wearing a crisp purple shirt and black slacks, stepped up to the table. “Good evening, ladies. I’m Sunny, and I’l be taking care of you both tonight. I see you have drinks already. Are you ready to order? Chef Julienne created some fabulous dishes for tonight.”

Applejack looked over the menu, tuning out the lavish descriptions of the night’s dishes and trying to picture them from what was written. For such a fancy place there’s not much to choose from. Can’t hardly tell what each dish really is for all the wordy descriptions. There, I think that one’s a vegetarian dish, maybe.

“And what do you think, Applejack?” Rarity’s voice pulled her out of her thoughts and she looked up, finding both Rarity and Sunny watching her expectantly.

“Oh, um, it all sounds good,” she stammered, glancing from the menu to Sunny. “I’ll just have what Rarity’s having.”

Rarity raised a brow, but smiled politely to Sunny. “Make that two, then. Oh, and can you refresh our drinks?”

“Of course,” Sunny said, collecting their menus. “I’ll be back in a minute with the drinks, and your meal shouldn’t take long.”

As Sunny hurried away, Rarity turned her smile back to Applejack. “Penny for your thoughts?”

“Huh? What do you mean?” Applejack shifted in her seat, feeling the full force of the knowing look aimed at her.

Rarity raised a brow. “I asked if you thought I should get a lighter dish than I ordered to save room for dessert.” She reached over and rested her hand on AJ’s. “You weren’t listening, were you?”

A blush colored her cheeks. “I guess I wasn’t,” AJ admitted. “Sorry, Rarity. I was just trying to figure out what I wanted.”

Rarity sighed. “Honestly, darling, that’s what she was talking about. If you listened, we could have helped you decide.”

Applejack drew her hand back, taking a sip of her drink. “I’m not sure it matters. You keep saying how great the food is supposed to be. I should like anything they bring, shouldn't I?”

“I suppose so,” Rarity admitted, watching her expression. “I just want to be sure this night is as wonderful for you as it is for me, including getting a dinner you’ll love.”

AJ nodded. “I’m sure I’ll like it, Rar. Let’s just enjoy ourselves, alright?”

Just then Sunny returned with a tray. “Here are your drinks, ladies.” She turned her smile to Applejack and held out a familiar gold-colored clutch. “Olive said you left this at the bar.”

Applejack sighed and took it, shaking her head. “I’m never gonna get used to carrying this. Thank you for bringing it.”

“My pleasure,” Sunny said. “I’ll be back with your meals soon.”

“It’s a good thing the staff here are so attentive.” Rarity nodded to the clutch. “I’d hate to see you lose your phone or your ID.”

“Or my geode,” Applejack noted, looking inside the bag to confirm everything was there.

Rarity’s jaw dropped. “Why would you have your geode in there? It’s irreplaceable! I thought you would leave it at home where it’s safe.”

AJ rubbed the bridge of her nose. “Well, normally I’d just wear it, but Apple Bloom told me it would clash with everything else. I just don’t want it far away if there’s an emergency.”

With a sigh, Rarity turned her palms up in a shrug. “I suppose that makes sense. And Apple Bloom was right, it would just ruin the look for this outfit. When did she get so fashionable?”

Applejack looked at Rarity’s geode again, nestled in with the other jewelry around her neck, and pushed down the comments waiting on her lips. “Apparently Sweetie Belle is giving her an’ Scootaloo lessons. Said she’d picked up a lot from you.”

“Hmm, Sweetie Belle always had a good sense of style,” Rarity said with a smile. “I’m glad to hear she’s sharing it with her friends. Maybe I can design some outfits for them all.”

Applejack returned to sipping her drink. “I’m sure they’d like that.”

Rarity watched as AJ withdrew again, letting silence settle around them. Resting her fingers on her own clutch, a mischievous smile creeped over her lips. I know what will keep her attention.

A moment later Applejack startled out of her thoughts. Beneath the table she felt a soft touch on her knee, making her stiffen up. Rarity was watching her with a sly grin and she realized it had to be her bare foot sliding to her thigh. “Rarity!” she hissed through her teeth, trying to keep quiet. “What do you think you’re doin’?”

Rarity’s eyes widened in an expression of mock innocence. “You seemed lost in your thoughts tonight, darling. I want to give you something pleasant to focus on.”

“Well, don’t,” she said. “I said after the date for anything like this.” When Rarity’s foot lingered she added, “Don’t think I won’t make a scene, Rar.”

“Oh, alright,” Rarity said with a pout, returning her foot to her sandal. “I only wanted to lighten the mood. You seem a little distant tonight.”

At that moment Sunny returned with their meals. “Here you are. Is there anything else you’d like?” Not hearing any requests, she added, “I’ll be back to check on you soon. Enjoy!”

Applejack looked over the plate, a smile touching her lips. “It sure smells good. I think you might have been right about what to order.”

Rarity watched. Her shoulders relaxed a little as AJ seemed to come back to herself over the food. “I’m glad to hear that, darling. The presentation is exquisite. This will be a delight.” She paused, looking over at her girlfriend again. “Was there anything troubling you tonight, Applejack? You seemed a little down before.”

Applejack looked back at her,seeing the earnest concern in her eyes. “No, nothing,” she said, smiling at her. “This place is a little overwhelming, is all. Let’s just eat and enjoy being here, alright?”

Rarity looked at her for a long moment, as if trying to read her soul. Is she lying? She surprised herself with the thought. “Alright, Applejack. I hope this tastes as good as it looks.”

They started into their meals, the conversation growing light. They were soon laughing again, the tension seemingly forgotten.


The doors of Canterlot Cinema opened and people streamed out in pairs and small groups, laughing and chatting happily about the movie they'd just seen. Toward the end of the crowd, strolling at a more leisurely pace, Applejack and Rarity stepped from the building hand-in-hand. They stood out among the rest of the audience in their glittering green and black dresses, outshining them all, even with Applejack’s well-worn hat over her hair.

Applejack smiled wide. "Now that movie was fantastic!" she beamed. "Even better than Big Mac said it was. Nothin' like a good western adventure to get the blood pumping." She looked at Rarity, giving her hand a gentle squeeze. "What did you think of it?"

Rarity smiled softly, watching Applejack's excitement grow. "I'm so glad you enjoyed it, darling. It definitely had a lot of excitement."

She nodded eagerly. "Which was your favorite part? The bank robbery? The horse chase? The shootout?"

Rarity tapped on her chin. "Hmm, well… the investigation of the robbery was fun, if a little short. Ooh, I quite liked that scene in the saloon. There were all those girls in fabulous dresses! And those stockings, so risqué!"

A smirk crossed Applejack's face. "You do know what those girls did there, don't you?"

"Apart from look amazing?"

She chuckled softly. "Rarity, those were prostitutes."

Rarity looked at her with wide eyes and a furrowed brow. "Really? Oh… I may need to adjust the designs I'm thinking about."

Applejack grinned and gave her hand a squeeze. "I'm sure you can find something else inspiring from the movie."

She sighed. "I suppose. Everyone else was just so worn and dusty." She looked up at Applejack's hat. "Oh, that reminds me, Applejack. I saw the most gorgeous hat from Fedora Felt. It's a modern take on the classic stetson. You would look so amazing in it!" She raised their clasped hands and kissed the back of Applejack's. "I do hope you'll let me buy it for you."

Applejack frowned slightly, releasing Rarity’s hand to reach up and run a finger along the brim of her hat. "I don't know, Rarity," she said. "I'm pretty attached to this hat. I don't think something like that would suit me quite right."

“That’s just it, darling,” Rarity pushed, an eager smile on her lips. “It’s practically the same hat, the same style, just… new, with better lines and in a color that better suits you. It would make you look so stylish and beautiful.”

Applejack’s expression hardened as a thought occurred. “You’ve already bought it, haven’t you?”

Rarity laughed as if Applejack had told a joke. “Ha ha ha, oh of course not, no…” Seeing AJ’s raised brow, she stopped her laugh abruptly, politely clearing her throat. “Ah, no, I haven't bought it yet. It took all of my willpower, but I knew you would want a say.”

AJ’s expression softened, showing a little smile. “I appreciate that. You remember why I wear this hat all the time, don’t you?”

Rarity nodded. “Because your father gave it to you,” she said gently. “Before your parents passed.”

“That’s right.” She adjusted the tilt of her hat. “It’s a way I can remember them.”

Rarity offered a sympathetic smile. “It’s not as if you couldn’t wear your hat most of the time. You would just have something more fashionable for nights like tonight. I could design an entire wardrobe around it, my love.” She touched her arm. “Don’t you think they would want the best for you?”

Applejack turned the idea over in her mind, looking down. “I just don’t know,” she said. Why is this so important to her? “Let me think about it, Rar. It’s a big decision for me.”

“That’s all I can ask,” Rarity said. She stepped in close and kissed her softly. “Just don’t take forever. The hat will only be available for a few weeks.”

AJ smiled at the kiss, taking Rarity’s hand again as they continued toward the car. “Was there anything else you wanted to do? Maybe some dessert?” She raised a brow, looking at her again. “Didn’t you say something about a surprise?”

Her smile brightened and she fidgeted with her clutch. “Oh, yes. I’m just waiting for the perfect moment for it.” She rested her head on Applejack’s shoulder. “As for dessert, I think we should have it at home. I’m ready to be alone with you for a while. Aren’t you?”

A blush colored Applejack’s cheeks and she slipped her arm around Rarity’s waist. “Alright, that sounds good. It’ll be nice to just be ourselves for a while.” They walked the rest of the way to the car simply enjoying the feeling of being close.


The door of Rarity’s house unlocked and the lights came on before the car even came to a stop. “Home again,” she said in a sing-song voice, tucking her phone back in her clutch. “All ready for us.”

Applejack chuckled as she turned off the car. “I still think controlling your whole house from your phone is a little much, but it does make things easier.” Unbuckling, she opened her door. “Ready to go in?”

Rarity smiled warmly. “Modern conveniences, love.” She watched AJ pull her foot out of the car. “There was one more thing, though.”

AJ paused, looking back. “Oh? What is it?”

She smirked and held out AJ’s clutch.

Eyes rolling, Applejack pressed her fingers to her forehead. “Thanks, again.” She took it and kissed Rarity. “Now can we go in?”

Rarity hummed happily into the kiss. “Absolutely, darling.”

They strolled up to the door hand-in-hand. “So, were you wanting dessert?” Applejack asked when they got inside. “Or did you want to tell me what the surprise is that you’ve been talking about.”

She smiled and took AJ’s clutch, leading her into the living room. “The moment isn’t quite right for the surprise. You’ll have to be a little patient, Applejack.” She winked and set both bags on the coffee table. “As for dessert…” She turned and stepped close, running her hands over AJ’s shoulders, looking into her eyes. “I thought we might work up an appetite first.”

Applejack chuckled, taking hold of Rarity’s waist. “Really extra frisky,” she murmured, then kissed her slowly. “What has you so excited tonight, Rar?”

Pressing up close, Rarity kissed along her neck. “You just look so deliciously sexy in this dress, darling. I can’t help it.”

AJ closed her eyes, trying to savor the feeling despite the twinge of discontent within her. “So that’s the real reason you made it, is it?”

“Mmm, it worked better than I imagined.” Without breaking eye contact she guided them down to sit on the couch, pulling AJ closer. “Only one more thing will make this night perfect.” She kissed her again, hands slowly moving over her curves.

Applejack let her. She responded as expected, caressing and kissing her back, but her thoughts strayed from the moment. She just wanted to make me look good enough for this. For her. She tried to push the thoughts away, focusing on the feel of Rarity’s hand on her thigh and her hungry kisses. No, she loves me. I know it.

Rarity’s hand slid higher. She pulled her lips away from AJ’s, smiled, and trailed little kisses back to her ear. When her fingers reached the top of her thigh she whispered, “Mmm, I do wish you’d let me trim this. You would look so much better.”

Applejack’s eyes opened and she twisted out from under Rarity’s hands. “For land’s sake, that does it!” She pushed herself out from under her and stood up. “I can’t take anymore!”

Rarity watched her from the couch, unmoving with a stunned expression. “Applejack, what’s the matter? Did I do something wrong?”

She huffed, turning in place, torn between wanting to confront her and just wanting to leave. “No, ya didn’t. Not you. It’s me you need to fix.” Feeling tears welling up, she chose flight and strode towards the entry. “I’m going home.”

Rarity stood quickly, following after her. “What? Applejack, I don’t understand what I did. Please, talk to me.”

AJ brushed the questions aside, pulling the door open. “Jus’ leave me alone! I need to go.”

Tears were streaming over Rarity’s cheeks when AJ looked up a moment before the door closed. She could hear her soft sobs as she hurried away, only making her own heart hurt even more. As she quickly approached her truck she reached for her keys from her pocket…

That wasn’t there.

She looked back at the door, then at her truck again. Danged clutch! I can’t just go back for it. For several moments she paced next to the truck, then sat down on the rear bumper. She stared down at her feet and the rose-gold sandals, head in her hands, and tried, unsuccessfully, to keep her crying on the inside.

A few minutes later she heard Rarity’s sad and gentle voice. “You forgot this.”

AJ looked up to see her standing a few feet away, holding out the clutch. She reached up and took it with a muttered, “Thanks.” She made no move to leave, instead still looking down at her toes.

“Mind if I join you?” Rarity asked, still standing where she was. “If you still want to go, I respect that, but I’d like to sit with you, if I may.”

Applejack didn’t answer, but scooted over a little along the bumper.

Rarity took that as an invitation and gently sat beside her, careful not to touch her yet. They stayed there in silence for a long while. “I really don’t know what to say,” she said at last. “I’ll just listen, if that’s alright.”

After another quiet minute Applejack found her voice again. “I just don’t know why you go out with me.”

Her eyes widened in surprise. “What? Why wouldn’t I go out with you? You’ve been my friend forever, and you’re my lover, and you’re a wonderful person. I’m lucky to have you in my life.”

“But I’m never enough for you,” Applejack shot back.

Rarity’s brow furrowed. “I don’t know what you mean.”

AJ finally looked up at her. “I never dress well enough for you. I don’t know enough about fashion or society or where to eat or anything like that. You don’t even like how I cut my hair.” She wiped her cheek. “It’s like you don’t want me, just this–” She pulled up the hem of her dress. “This dress-up version of me.”

Rarity’s expression softened as understanding washed over her, her heart aching with the pain in Applejack’s voice. “Oh, my precious darling, is that really how I made you feel?” She reached over, taking AJ’s hand in her own. “I’m so sorry. I never meant to hurt you like that. You have more natural beauty than anyone I’ve ever known.”

“How d’ya figure?” she said, shaking her head. “You are so much prettier than I am.”

A little smile touched Rarity’s lips. “And you know how long it takes me to get there every morning. All while you just brush your hair and put on your hat and you’re already gorgeous. I’ll admit, I’ve been jealous of that in the past. Now it’s one of the things I love most about you.”

AJ puffed out a breath, looking at her. “You don’t really mean that. You wouldn’t keep dressing me up to be good enough to be seen with you if you did.”

She stood up and held out a hand to Applejack. “Come back inside. I want to show you something.” At AJ’s hesitation she added, “Please? I promise if you still want to go after I won’t stop you.”

Applejack looked into her face, then took her hand and stood up.

Rarity led them back into the house to the large mirror near the door. She positioned Applejack in front of it and stood beside her so they were both clearly visible in the reflection. “I want you to see something like I do. Close your eyes, and when I say to open them tell me honestly what is the first thing that catches your attention. Ready?”

AJ raised a brow, then took a deep breath and closed her eyes, facing the mirror. “Alright, I’m ready.”

“And… open your eyes. Where is your attention drawn?”

She opened her eyes, and they widened a moment later when her attention settled on one part of the image. “It’s… on me,” she said, sounding surprised. “But your dress is decorated so much more.”

Rarity rested her hand on AJ’s elbow. “That’s what Fleur meant when she said I shouldn’t be afraid to take center stage. I designed these dresses to make you the center of attention, with me complimenting you.” She smiled. “I wanted everyone to see how beautiful you are, the way I see you every day. I intended every suggestion to enhance how gorgeous you already are, far beyond me. I never thought it was making you feel like less than you are. Please forgive me, my love.”

Applejack sniffed, wiping tears from her cheeks. “An’ here I thought I was boring you. I was afraid if I didn’t go along with everything you’d lose interest in me. I love you so much, I didn’t want to lose you.”

“You never will,” Rarity said, stepping into a tight hug. “I love you, Applejack, exactly as you are. I’m proud to be your girlfriend.” She looked up into her eyes. “If you’ll still have me.”

Applejack wrapped her arms around her and hugged her close. “I love you, too, Rarity. I never want to let you go.” She looked deep into Rarity’s blue eyes, seeing the love reflected within them, and kissed her deeply as if sealing her promise.

When they finally pulled away Rarity smiled up at her. “If you want to stay, maybe we should have some ice cream for that dessert we talked about. Or we can talk, or just sit together. Whatever you want, my love.”

Applejack took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. “The ice cream sounds good. We can take the rest from there, one step at a time. Alright?”

“That sounds lovely,” Rarity said, then glanced at the mirror. “Oh, my makeup is a mess. That’s something you’re lucky not to deal with.” She slipped out of the hug, walking over to her clutch on the coffee table in the living room. “I know I have some tissues for exactly this sort of emergency.”

AJ chuckled, following her into the room. “I imagine you do. You’re always prepared, Rarity.” A moment later she stopped, frowning. “Aww, I’m sorry, Rar. I just realized this all probably ruined the moment for that surprise you were hinting about. Do you still want to tell me what it is?”

Rarity reached into her clutch as Applejack talked. Her fingers lingered on the velvet surface of the ring box hidden inside. A moment later she smiled and instead took out some tissues. “Oh, don’t worry about that,” she said, wiping the running mascara from her eyes and cheeks. “I think this was more important for tonight. It will keep for a while longer. I’m sure we’ll find the right moment soon.” With that she took Applejack by the hand and led her back to the kitchen and the promised ice cream.

Comments ( 3 )

Oh my gosh, this was so cute. From the start AJ seemed uncomfortable with the whole dress-up thing, so you did a great job at subtly setting up the conflict. Loved this story!

That was a good story.

I do have to admit this one started on a shaky footing for me, with the very long sequence of Applejack trying out the clothes she’s been provided in intimate detail – which is fine by itself, but it did feel very off how it was all happening with Apple Bloom watching and commentating. Once we get to the primary story, however, things really start to take off, and we get a very compelling story whose world feels very lived-in and clearly shows a lot of thought put into the nature of Applejack and Rarity’s relationship years after high school. The running gag with the clutch was a definite highlight for me. Thank you for your submission.

Login or register to comment