• Published 17th Apr 2023
  • 672 Views, 72 Comments

Rebirth of Magic: In the Mists - JimmyHook19



The life and times of a pony caught between conscience and duty.

  • ...
7
 72
 672

A Confusion of Unicorns

The world seemed to grind to a halt as I looked up. My heart pounded in my chest as I noticed all the unicorns staring at me.

What had Alphabittle just said?

No, I'm serious. What had Alphabittle just said?

"After all this time... my Misty has returned to me?"

Those words echoed through my mind as I tried to process what it could all mean. As I stood there, shocked, I finally was able to get my thoughts into motion and hopefully put two and two together.

Alphabittle had referred to me as 'my Misty.' That implied some sort of familial connection, as that sort of term of endearment is often used to refer to ponies or people close to you in a family.

He also looked pretty old. I know that's a strange metric to use for this, but I had to use something as a reference point to figure out what was going on.

My best guess was that, somehow, Alphabittle was my dad.

WHEN WAS THIS ESTABLISHED?

Before I could react, Izzy suddenly spoke. "Ooh! That's who you were referring to when we passed on my way to the train station!"

I glanced about, seeing Sunny seemingly start to speak, but Alphabittle reacted first. He lunged over and pulled me away from the others and into his grasp, seemingly not seeing the absolute confusion on my face.

"And why am I not surprised she's with a group of enemies!" he said, as he pulled me over to him. It seemed he was pretty keen on the whole getting me back things, which is absurd as I barely knew him. "Well, you've lost your little hostage."

I looked to Hitch, who was glancing about in a panic, clearly trying to figure out what to do. I mouthed to him 'help me. Jinxies.'

Hitch spotted this, and nodded. "Uhh, Wing! Feather! Magic! MAYONNAISE!"

The entire room suddenly froze up, all the unicorns standing still as statues before us. It was actually pretty creepy to be honest, just a lifeless room full of nopony moving around at all. It was very spooky.

And then it began.

"Bing!"

"Bong!"

Alphabittle moved to start doing the jinxy moves, which gave me the perfect opportunity to wriggle out of his grasp. I then dashed for the door, tapping Izzy on the shoulder. "Time to move!"

"On your tail!" Izzy replied. "Well, not literally as I'm not standing on your tail, but-"

"Less 4th wall breaking, more running!" Sprout shouted.

As we left, Sunny caught up to us with the crystals in tow. Alphabittle was still shouting in the distance as we cleared the door.

"You'll pay for abducting my daughter!" he bellowed, even as he danced about like a lunatic.

We had to keep going through the forest. No doubt that little stunt had woken the entire forest up, and if we weren't careful we'd end up in the middle of either a rock or a hard place. The locket continued to smack against my chest as I ran along, getting increasingly out of puff.

Izzy then dashed over to me. "What's going on, Misty?"

"When was it established that Alphabittle's my dad?" I replied, still trying to make sense of it all myself. I mean, it was always a mathematical possibility, but it felt like a contrived coincidence at first.

And it raised the question of who the hay my mom was!

Izzy replied, with a casual shrug. Whilst running at the same time. "I dunno. I guess we could discuss it a bit more if we get some time but-"

Hitch, however, interrupted the moment. "Guys? Less discussing the plot, more running! I suspect Alphabittle's gonna have every unicorn in Bridlewood on our tail!"

"There isn't a pony on my tail!" Izzy said, looking behind her. "I doubt it could support the weight of a fully grown pony!"

"Not what he meant!" Sprout said. "Less talking, more running!"

We continued on our way towards what appeared to be a clearing. If we were lucky we could lose them there and then we could head back to Izzy's house to hopefully put the crystals together and get magic back!

That was an enormous sentence.

We hid in a bush near a clearing as suddenly we heard strange voices in the distance.

"Our vehicles are unable to proceed further- the roadway up ahead is too narrow for our tracks. You'll have to continue on hoof, I'm afraid."

We heard two ponies talk for a bit, and then suddenly we saw a face I hadn't seen in a long time.

It was Zipp, alive and well. She was a bit grubby, but she seemed to be physically fine. After her came some soldiers, and then the Queen fell out of a bush and into the clearing.

And then a stallion I didn't recognise arrived. Apparently he was Pipp and Zipp's dad. What is this, national discover your dad day?

Unfortunately, some tanks rolled in from the other side, and Alphabittle was leading them. I tried to hide as he and the Queen got into a very loud shouting match. Seriously, you don't need to speak so loudly! You're right next to each other!

Thankfully, proceedings were soon interrupted by a news bulletin in which that crazy General threatened violence. My heart sank. This mess was my fault. I'd helped that guy seize power by accident.

But what happened next surprised me. Queen Haven asked the unicorns for help to overthrow him! This was an unexpected turn of events, but at least we were working together instead.

We collected our supplies and began the long haul back to Zephyr Heights. Our bags were full, and I kept my feelings about Sprout hidden- if Alphabittle harbored such negative attitudes about unicorns no doubt he despised earth ponies too. And if I was his kid he'd be pretty cross about that.

But I also had a renewed sense of purpose. This set of events gave me a new chance to overcome my mistakes.

A chance to redeem myself.

Author's Note:

And another week is in the books for Misty Brightdawn for this leg of Rebirth of Magic regarding her. ^^

We'll be back to her on a later date, but for now coming up next month... time to swing on back to Princess Pipp Petals again. =3

Comments ( 2 )

Excellent work on the dialogue, characterizations and future chapter (Phase Five) set-up here. Really liked the reflections on the stuff from "Izzy" and "Sunny's" batches from "Misty's" viewpoint, especially the stuff about the "on your tail" argument, finding out Alphabittle was "her" father AND the reunion with "Zipp" and "Haven" (including the introduction to "Zipp" and "Pipp's" father). And, yeah, it makes sense that "Misty" would feel guilty about Gulfstream's takeover as well as respecting how "Haven" talked the unicorns into a temporary truce (which has the potential to lead into a friendship if the Pegasi and Unicorns properly learn each pony type was wrong about the other). And, yeah, keeping the stuff about "Sprout" a secret for the time being (at least until AFTER the ponies re-unify) is probably a good call.

And now, we are halfway through Phase Four. Definitely looking forward to the other half as well as the entirety of Phase Five.

Login or register to comment