• Published 18th Sep 2012
  • 24,562 Views, 978 Comments

Trail of a Shooting Star - Book One - The Rising Threat - VariusMayhem



A human learns he takes part of an old alicorn prophecy as protector of ponykind.

Comments ( 164 )

This concludes Trail of a Shooting Star - Book One - The Rising Threat... This Book is ending, but the story never ends... :twilightsmile:
If you enjoyed the ride so far, You may want to add your own little tale to the Ranger HQ, this story's group.
Also: Sound the advance, my fellow Rangers! The story continues! Book Two has begun right now! :pinkiehappy:

Yay!

This was awesome.

I've enjoyed it since around midway through the story, and I have to say, it's still awesome.

I loved all the dr who scene recreations! heh heh

2652196
Then go on with reading Book Two, you WILL love that as well! :derpytongue2:

THE DOCTOR! :pinkiegasp:

I stopped on like chapter 5 to see where this would go....
I skipped to this and well I like where it went I think?

Awesome read, man! Really enjoyed it! :twilightsmile:

*smiles like an bucking idiot*~~~

2718290
Aha, but there are also other countries on the planet, not just Equestria, where there are ponies as well. There are settlers in Zebrica, ponies in Saddle Arabia and the Crystal Empire, lots and lots of ponies on other continents as well... Twilight only names the population number of Equestria as a country, not the worldwide population of ponies. I don't know how far you are in the story yet, but there are more kinds of ponies in this story, making the number of ponies much larger. :twilightsmile:

But I wanted to maintain the number small, there's no Ponytropolis in the show with millions of ponies, so several thousands to tens of thousands in Equestria should be appropiate.

2727386
The average Pegasus Royal Guard: "I used to be a Wonderbolt just like you... But then I got an arrow to the wing...":rainbowwild:

2731905

Agh! :pinkiegasp:

It was the exact same video I had lined up as well :fluttershbad:

Damn you Prim...

Damn you... :pinkiesad2:

As i read this, i wanted to complain and whine about stuff. Near the ending I wanted to complain about something ... but then it ended and I feel like ... "well ... that was so good I dont even know what i was going to complain about!" ... and why i write this comment?

To let you know that this is really good story, it is well written and is somewhat original. I have enjoyed it more than I probably should :D ... so ... like ... you know ... Thanks for this AWESOME story!

2738026
Then go on and read the next story, for more awesomeness! :twilightsmile:

Yay! 500th comment! :rainbowkiss:

Comment posted by PantheraLeo deleted Jun 18th, 2013

2738055
No worries, I am going to dive into it as soon as I will have some free time again. Since its 4AM right now, I really should "catch some Zs" :twilightblush:

2737127

Nope... :pinkiecrazy:

Not even a little bit...

From The Desk Of Cosmic Guardian
Hello. My name is Cosmic Guardian. This is my official review of the story. Thank you to all who read.

This story is beautiful. Not only is it well written, it is plausible. Each event in her could happen were a human to show up in Equestria. Not only was there that ability of success, there was also the knowledge of failure.

Tyler faces his many trials and tribulations, but breaks through each one, not with just the might of his body, not with just the power of his mind, but with the love of his friends and those he holds dear.

While the story is mainly about Tyler and how things go for him, it takes gives us all a peek at other happenings. Private conversation and secret knowledge is given to us. These litle tidbits of information easily push a ready to the edge of his or her seat.

But, while the behind the scenes can push us to the edge, only one thing pushes us over: the plot itself. It is a winding path of unanticipated love, hate, betrayal and secrets, known and unknown.

We see into their minds. We understand what they do and why they do it. The ability to give each character a full personality and mindset while staying canon is becoming increasingly difficult these days.

And, as days progress, it will become harder. This story goes where no other has gone before: to the hearts and minds of the readers. Many believe that a fictional story could never touch a heart. But, indeed, it is very possible.

I have earned many good laughs from this story. Time and time again, one sentence or another paragraph will allow me to chuckle heartily. But the one thing I have not felt is a deep sorrow. Why does sadness illude me?

It illudes because I do not need it. This story does not need it. Instead of sadness, it uses anger. It angers us when something evil happens. But it also gives us a feeling of triumph when something completely unexpected happens and it ends with Tyler growing in many ways.

I have read many novels. Not many can attest to being my favorite. In fact, no novel has given me satisfaction in each and ever chapter. This, however, has. I wish to praise both the story and its author, who captivated me from the beginning.

So, in payment, I shall do something I have not done often. I will favorite this story. And yes, I can hear you. Before you say it aloud, noticed that, prior to this story, I had only two. They can not compare to this in any way, shape or form.

This has surpassed my expectations by far and has earned its right to become a member of my favorite stories. This story, however, shall hold an unprecidented place in my heart. Why is that, you may ask.

Luna is the love of my life. Normally, I would allow none to come even close to any of this. But Tyler...Tyler reminds me much of myself. His ability to adapt and his willingness to change touch me and I believe he has earned the right to have her.

To sum up everything I said; this was an amazing story. It was well written, stayed with canon and entertained me from the beginning. For such a wonderful story, there is only one thing I can do: favorite it. And so, with this comment done, Trail Of A Shooting Star: Book One: The Rising Threat shall become my favorite story of all time.

Thank you,
Cosmic Guardian

P.S. Varius Mayhem. I wish to thank you twice. You already know why I thank you twice. And I honestly believe you deserve more than that. So, I will say it one last time. Thank you.

2956671
Wow, that's probably the longest comment the story got so far and by far the one with the most praise. You are quite welcome. :twilightsmile:

2956730 Why should I understate how much I enjoyed this? Anyway, I went and found this song because I loved it so much.

Here you guys go.

You should make a group off of this story.

2956750 I wasn't talking about talking about that, but then again this isn't an Alternatue Universe. I'll check the group out.

2964178
Well if you came for the sex but stayed for the story, I must have done something right. :twilightsmile:

2973516
Well, no wonder... You found a reference! :rainbowwild:

Comment posted by GH0STSHAD0W deleted Aug 3rd, 2013

2974853
i noticed many different references through out here, some obvious, some obscure. and i applaud your work on them :yay:

2979015
some of the references are hard to miss, like that one, and the judge dredd scene among others (namely the "meet the team" ones) :ajsmug:

2984300
You should consider reading my reference guide blog post. There you can find ALL references by name and can look for them a bit more efficient. There are some who don't even surfaced until now. :twilightsmile:

2984318
this is going to be great fun for me, im an avid toper :pinkiehappy:

lol hunt all the refs! :pinkiecrazy:

2989366
Good points, really good points indeed. But the attacker was a "human" and attacked during daylight. Remember, this transformation spell only lasts until the very first ray of light hits you. So from their current point of view a human had to be the attacker and not a transformed pony/changeling. No one could have known how fast Changeling eggs hatch since very little is known about them. And Twilight already mentioned that lots of the guardponies alone in the courtroom served together with Tyler.

But I wanted to play the cards against Tyler and so I did. The fact that no one knew of a humanoid Changeling before was an opportunity I used.

3017031
He is absorbing unicorn magic, yes... Alicorn magic however DOES have full effect on humans since it is way more powerful.

3018344 this is weird. i received no notification that you gave me a reply. :rainbowhuh:

3062817
Don't tell me you can't handle it twice in over 258000 words. :rainbowhuh: Besides... No one is forcing you to read parts you can't stand. In fact, NO ONE here is forcing you to do things against your will at all... But allow this story to continue before your eyes and I promise you right here and now: You will be at least intrigued to a certain degree. :twilightsmile:

3116766
Well, he had to do something for the moment. And farm work is work ponies and humans both understand. But later on he will shift away from farm work to more of a strategic advisor.

3116766

Why would a human be detained? They have many different sapient species already. Besides which, I don't know if the ponies even know what the world "detain" means.

Don't apply human norms to the ponies. Regardless of their activities and interactions, they are not human. Besides, aliens attempting to detain a human would end in violence and a lot of dead aliens. Given that the aliens in question are the Mane Six, that would kinda ruin the story.

Also, between baking (which is skilled labor), making clothes (skilled labor), library assistant (taken, and Twilight is the worst boss ever), helping animals that most likely will know your kind normally eats them (they always recognize a predator), helping with the weather (which we can't unless it involves nuclear winter or punching holes in the ozone layer), or hauling apples (unskilled labor), I'm pretty sure your best bet is one that doesn't taken training, e.g. unskilled labor, therefore helping Applejack on the farm.

Clop-a-meter
* = Clop free
** = Slight clop for a few sentences.
*** = Heavy, explicit clop with intercourse for some paragraphs
Still, this is not clopfic. If you want to read clopfics, go elsewhere. Sex is part of this story, not dictating it.

Celestia bless the Clop-a-meter! I really wish every story with expilcit content would use one!:twilightblush:

Sex is part of this story, not dictating it.

Just how I like it!

3360870
Well, I've seen enough reaction videos on Youtube to know that people prefer to brace themselves. Not everyone likes clop, especially human x pony clop. And sex as part of the story is a lesson I took from my expeditions into the realm of hentai.

See a few decent hentai movies like Urotsukidoji and you know how to implement sex scenes into a story without them looking like mere sex for the sake of porn. If you have witnessed a guy using some magic first to make a half demon girl incredibly horny and then forms a body out of corpses to do her in front of his eyes... and all for the sake of transforming her into something more powerful to destroy a giant dragon in one single blast, then you can either call it a day... :pinkiesick: or be simply mindblown by the fact that sexuality changes the body and this scene depicts this in the weirdest way. :rainbowderp:

As for the clop-a-meter... Everyone perceives clop different. It's more of an indicator than anything else. Some wouldn't deem a few sentences clop already while others already wrinkle their noses. I'm glad you deemed that useful. :twilightsmile:

3362967
Hmm impressive, you seem very educated in this matter. Yes I do prefer a good hentai-movie with a decent story myself, rather than some of those cheap ripoffs, where the character's action/reaction pattern doesn't even make a tad bit off sense, and the sexual endeavour is all that counts:trixieshiftleft:.
Chinese oldstyle Kung-Fu master approves!
i.imgur.com/Tpbh9.gif

3364416
What you missed is the fact that this is the fleshed out version of this chapter, around 1100 words longer. He wasn't raising the knife before. Also some dialogue with Fluttershy was added.

3364454
Oh, ok sry didn't know.
Will enjoy reading it further:rainbowwild:

3368284
Maybe, but since it's a reference I let it happen that way. :twilightsmile:

3369406
Because maybe zebra's share the same heat cycle? I've yet to see something in the fandom determing that zebras are in a different cycle and have their weeks of heat in... I don't know, summer? :twilightblush:

3369439
But at least zecora has potions to take care of her cycle, considering that the girls all just simply wait it out, that could even help them. Hell she can make a cock (the bird) sing again, and a potion to reenact the cutie pox, why wouldn't she have something against the heat's urges?

That's some idea I haven't seen in a fic yet: (excuse if my ryhmes are inaccurate)

Zecoras was minding her own business, as usual she was happily throwing herbs into her cauldron when suddenly the door to her hut slammed wide open!
In a fast pace manner the human, she got to know over the last few days, went walking into her home. Zecora was eyeing the now heavy breathing human, as he sat down on the floor, his clothes were all dirty with straws, mud stains and squashed flowers decorating their surface. Glinting drops of sweat were rolling down his forehead, exhaustion clearly visible on his entire shape. 'What happened to him?', she thought.

"Why if it isn' the human, who decided to stop by my hut," she said smiling before continuing with a frown "but tell me friend, why do you literally look like a stick in the mud?", raising her brow expectantly after the last word. She trotted over to the door, closing it shut.

The human, still struggeling to breath steady, began to respond after a few seconds, sounding somewhat reliefed, but apperantly desperate later on.

"ZECORA!! Oh thank god! it's great that you are home! Finally a save spot to get some freakin' rest! Jesus damnit! All the mares of ponyville went crazy! They are all out to BUCK me! Iv'e had to haul some freakin' ass to not get caught and stay free, else I would have been loved to death! I lost track of how many barrel rolls I had to perform, just to avoid them from ramming into me! My whole body hurts like hell! CURSE this freakin' estrous cycle!!", he said fuming in the end, burying his face in his hands.

Zecora slowly walked over to his side and lay a fronthoof on his shoulder, causing him slightly to wince. She gave him a reassuring smile.
"Well then my little human, it was wise of you to come here, for I have just the right brews, to wash their minds clear!", she said, while trotting to her cauldron.

A puzzled look was visible on the humans face.
"Uh-- you mean you have a "medication" to get rid of their bucking urges?"
Zecora nodded to him, before directing her attention back to her brew.

"Living alone for many years, I know just aswell how the "heat" makes mares cry in tears. Luckly though we're in a forest unbound and free, with plants of all kinds, as you can see", pointing her hof towards a nearby colorfull collection of greens. "To take care of this seemingly hot desire, I simply mix certain plants", she grabs a stash of flowers, throwing it into to cauldron "to make these feelings tire."

The human now stood up and joined her at the couldron, watching the potion master at work before giving a skeptical glance towards her soup.
"So... whenever YOU feel those uncontrollable urges, you just take a sip of THAT stuff and everything's fine again?"
"That is what I do indeed, infact around this month's week, I am also a mare in dire need. These herbs though make me feel relaxed in those times, preventing me from commiting any rapist crimes. It's not good for businiss you see, if I suddenly start rutting my clients with glee, don't you think?", she said almost nonchalantly.

The human's jaw hang open when he heard that.
'Wha-...Did she really just say that?', "Oookay Zecora?... Wait a moment, why didn't Twilight or any of the other mares ever ask you for a sample? Judging from how they were hunting me down like prey, I don't think any of them ever tried your wonder tonic. This could solve their problems... and mine aswell!"
Sighing slightly, the zebra turned to the human.
"Unfortunately, ponies still feel uneasy visiting me. The forest's dangers do them no good, forcing most of them instantly to leave this wood. As for Ms. Sparkle and any of her friends, they never asked me for help, with those kind of intents."
The human just stood there in disbelieve of what she just told him, then with a slap sound he ended up facepalming.

What do you think?:twilightsheepish:

3372682
That would probably earn her a fortune among ponies, but she could also demand a high price to get the ingredients from a hazard zone, mix it into a brew and deliver it. Good stuff comes with a good price. and if that stuff also is rare instead of common, the price climbs. For the regular customer that is. I'm sure the Mane Six would get it for a small fee or for free.

3373344
Well, the Alicorn War is interwoven into many aspects of this story. My approach to explain why only a handful of alicorn mares are in existence, but no stallion. If you liked it so far, you're going to love the rest of the book. :raritywink: Not to speak of the second book... :raritystarry:

that is the most epic cover art i have ever seen in my entire life:yay:

3480367
Do you even try to understand the pinkster? :pinkiehappy:

Alone for this AWESOME Cover art will I read this Story. If it's enough for a thumb up and a fav we will see.

3597112
Well don't judge a book by its cover... But if you're making it through to chapter 5 and 6, you should probably be hooked.:pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment