• Published 6th Oct 2012
  • 3,314 Views, 86 Comments

Fading Eclipse - Idylia



Before Luna is banished, no one understands her except Shield, a guard initiate.

  • ...
13
 86
 3,314
This story has been marked as having adult content. Please click below to confirm you are of legal age to view adult material in your country.

Confirm
Comments ( 39 )

Awwwwww, this is so special... brought tears to my eyes, tho I did not shed them...very touching, keep it up! Awws like this were not expected in what started as a porn story, but are very much welcomed, as it grows beyond that to a true story. :yay:dl.dropbox.com/u/31471793/FiMFiction/Luna_lolface.png

Was certainly enjoyable to read with lots of daws :)

Damn this is a really touching story. I really do love it thought.:eeyup:

...she's not gonna reveal herself to every pony they meet, is she? That would be almost as bad as HISHE's Batman.

1944127
Good.

...I'm Batman...

I'm gonna put this on my 'read later' list so as to have a few more chapters to read before I start on it. But, as with all stories about Luna set before her banishment, I have to wonder, do you have a way to set up the story so as to make her feel like no pony appreciates her or her night? Having somepony love you pretty much makes that a non-event, and seeing as that is a major part of her character, you can't really do that.

So I really have to wonder if this is going to have the 'tragedy/sad' tags added to it before the end, if you've got a way to make it all make sense or if you just want to write a romance story, canon and character identities be damned.

I don't know if you answer this problem in the story as I haven't read it yet, but just pointing out a flaw I see in pre-banishment Luna romance fics far to often.

1947228
Hm.
Don't mind the spoilers for this one so much, I guess. If you're waiting to read it later, I'm sorry to disappoint, because I have absolutely no idea when I will pick this back up.

Though, ponder this. Perhaps the reason Luna was banished was simply written into history as a happening of her own strife?

Imagine what just that question can open up.

1947230

I have no idea what you mean by 'a happening of her own strife', though that would probably be explained if I read the story. Now that you tell me you don't know when you'll return to it (if you do at all that is), I may as well read it at some point during the next day, as it's going to be 35 degrees and thus to hot to do anything other than sit in the air conditioning on the computer. I'll just reread it if it takes you months to do the next chapter, should I not be able to instantly recall what happens in the story.

Also, I just looked at your user page and noticed you have one other story. Now I know that I will DEFINITELY read this tomorrow morning, probably first thing, as I have read and thumbed up 'The Ones Forgotten' but didn't comment on because everyone had already said pretty much everything I wanted to say. Honestly, I'm far more looking forward to seeing you do more chapters of that than anything else, because 'The Ones Forgotten' was beautifully written and had one of the most exquisitely detailed scenes of quiet intimacy I have read in fiction, full stop. If your writing in this is anything like that, I'm actually sorry that I'm to tired to read it tonight and fully appreciate it for what it is.

1947248
Hmm...
The description is on very similar levels, but this story lacks conflict and I feel is a bit more dull in the early parts.

I simply meant that it was written that Luna devolved on her own into Nightmare Moon and caused her own demise. But, the losers never write the history books, right? What really happened, and all that jazz.

And I appreciate the kind words on The Ones Forgotten! I totally get what you mean by tired; I just stopped writing because I'm intending to go to bed here pretty fast. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Good night.

That was so cute. Just quality heartfelt story. Thanks for the smile :raritywink:

Well, this was certainly quite good, I'm glad I read it now, rather than putting it off for when you next updated it. The first chapter was beautifully written, and felt very real. The parts in Lunas room during the second chapter felt like something you would expect from a hidden affair, and her wary talk with Celestia was perfect for the matter of skirting around the truth.

I felt that this third chapter was a little rushed, going from point to point with no real sense of flair to it. Something happened, then another thing happened, or something was said, responded to and so on and so forth. I felt like when Luna revealed herself, it was rushed into, inserting an inner monologue of her thoughts would have rounded it out in a much more satisfying way. The reveal of the garden was beautifully detailed, allowing me to actually picture it, but it felt rather 'mcguffiny' in the way that it so cleanly fell into place, but I guess that is part of the danger with OC's.

I really look forward to seeing more of this story, after you finish The Ones Forgotten, of course :pinkiehappy:

1957615
That's why I'm not sure I'll finish it.
I lost a direction I want it to take. I have point A, and point C, but I have few good, interesting ideas on how to flow between them.

Give this one time, definitely.

1957645

That's a problem I've heard of far to often, which saddens me, as some of the best fics I've had the pleasure of reading went unfinished because of it. It's a problem I encountered myself, and the reason I didn't publish the related story.

I'll give it time, after all, I have the Ones Forgotten to look forward to. Well, I'm sure I've commented enough on your works tonight, don't want you getting sick of me :twilightblush: I look forward to discussing your future works :twilightsmile:

1957677
Haha... you may have not noticed, but I really like to be there in the comments with my readers. I dig having conversations like this, even if at times they're a bit masturbatory because here they're all about my own work.

Don't worry about it man. Sorry to disappoint you with this story, but in truth I am more sorry to disappoint myself with this story.

Can't dwell on these things though. I think it's all about just worrying about the next step, even if it's in a new direction.

1957746

Good to hear, honestly, I'm enjoying the conversation myself, I haven't had a proper long conversation in a stories comments since back in Season One, discussing things on DA. God, those were the days, when the fandom was small and you easily made friends with all the well known authors. Nowadays, with the fandom being so large and diverse, more and more of the authors are distant and aloof, as the popular fics get flooded with thousands of comments and there's just not enough time to answer all of them.

Not to mention, a lot of the great authors from back then who were nice enough to give a fan the time of day have stopped writing or disappeared. Makes me sad really.

1957767

Been here since S1.
I still really love the fandom! I think there's a lot of great stuff to be found here! I'm pretty optimistic about it as a whole. I even like how things like music have grown so much, because you see a lot of really good music now!

1957799

So have I, came in just after Sonic Rainboom aired. Ah, those were the days, the fandom was simple, we were united as one against the hatred from 4chan, and everyone was always there for everyone else.

I honestly never really got into the music side of things, something I regret. I'll probably find the time at some point to go crawling through the EQD Music archives, just need a free day where I'm not doing anything.

1957813

I browse /mlp/ regularly actually. 4chan is where this fandom started, and it's where a lot of discussion and content comes from. Even though it's revolting to many, I have a tendency to simply be able to ignore it or approach it amicably if I disagree with something.

Haha. To be honest, not much has changed aside from the way people perceive the phenomenon after 2+ years.

1957819

Yes, but back then, we had a solid enemy to unite against. With 4chan welcoming us back with our own board, we now have just random haters, no one to stand against to bring a true sense of togetherness. I've always found that people are closest when united against a common foe, and it's one of the reasons I find it easiest to look on back on those days as my fondest memories of the fandom. I know we came from 4chan, and I'm happy we were able to return, but we lost that sense of true unity that we had in the beginning.

1957831

4chan was the enemy?
I disagree. I think, if anything, 4chan was the force that made this all possible, even after the conception and growth of the fandom, and even during when ponies were banned from many of the other boards.

Different perspectives from different points of origin, I imagine. I've never held any prejudice vs Tumblr or DeviantArt or any of the other sites that the fandom found a home on, so to be honest your point may be completely true.

I reall like the way you've portrayed Luna in these sweet little stories.
Bravo.

love this!!!:raritystarry: It's great. Sweet, touching, and everything fits together so well :pinkiehappy: I just randomly stubbled on it and i am sooooo happy I did :twilightsheepish: favorite, upvote, and I can't wait to see more if you continue this:pinkiehappy:

and just because i love this story so much have a awesomestache :moustache:

I like it! :twilightsmile:

I really enjoyed this fic and thought it was quite good and do think you should continue the story. I did find that some of the dialogue could use some work primarily with shield bearer as some of his lines were a bit awkward but ignoring that i liked his character and feel that with a little more development he will be quite the protagonist. You need to introduce some more faults in his character as right now he seems to be a little to good. Also id reccomend working with someone to alter lunas dialogue to be more archaic as i understand why you didnt include that as it makes it difficult to write for her when you aren't accustomed to that style of speaking. Id also reccomend going back over the first chapter and making some edits because when i read it i could clearly tell that this was originally meant to be a one-shot so change it around some to make it flow better into the next chapter maybe even write a prologue for it. I hope the hiatus ends soon as i look forward to reading more. Good work and keep writing when you can i know its hard to with school and shit as im in the same position but its deffinately not something you should drop.

Please for the love of all things awesome, continue! :flutterrage:

well, your story is like the garden you wrote about in chapter 3, its small intimate and a hidden gem compared to the infinite amount of fanfics on this site. I guess it would be wrong to ask for more since it is complete in its own way, but damn my mind is running about what will happen to lulu and shield haha. best of luck and thanks for the amazing story!:twilightsmile:

3318070
Sorry.
I put this fic down to work on another and since then I've progressed so much that, if I were to revisit this fic, I would reimagine quite a number of parts in it. It wouldn't quite be the same.

But I do apologize. I hate reading things that aren't complete.

3318074 oh sheeit the mastermind himself! haha im not upset, it definitely felt real enough that i'd be surprised when i finished a chapter because i was sucked into the story so its still awesome. I'll definitely read your other work, not now cause its 3:20 am and ive been surfing through fimfiction for stories for hours, and i have a class tomorrow, but hey Im glad i read a good story before bed. :moustache:

3318105
Nice. I appreciate it! The other ones are finished. I'm experiencing a similar post-'reading something amazing' shock as well. I can't imagine how despondent I would be if I found out the story I'm reading would never conclude, so sorry for doing that to you.

Okay seriously, you need to add to this. Like, now...or whenever you get more ideas for it! Give us more, you magnificent bastard!

3344040
See
3318074

While I do have a Luna fic planned for the future unfortunately I've grown out of this story.

3344416
Alright, fair enough. I'm gonna follow you anyway and as soon as your new Luna fic comes out, I'll be among the first to enjoy it.

3344758
The Luna fic of which I speak is something I've been planning for a long time. Luna is my favorite pony and I really wanted to get a lot of experience under my belt before I truly tackled what I think will be a fantastic story. It might not be for a long while but that story is probably the dearest to me out of anything that I have planned.

3344416
Alright, fair enough. I'm gonna follow you anyway and as soon as your new Luna fic comes out, I'll be among the first to enjoy it.

3344796
Anyone who has that much faith in something they create and works that much on it is okay in my book. I look forward to it very much.

I think I'm very late to the party, but I don't care. This is a great story that has grown immensely since the first chapter till now. I hope that you continue this story at some point, but I do realize it is labeled cancelled. Just wondering, why did you do that? You have a lot of free space to work with in this universe, and by acknowledging Shield's limited lifespan, made it easy to incorporate an interesting narrative about what leads to her banishment. If there is some way I could help get this fic back in the air again let me know please. I think it would be very interesting to work with.

May I ask why this was cancelled? Im quite interested to read it, however, I dont want to start and never be able to see the end.:applejackunsure:

Idylia, I know you canceled this story, but me (and everyone else) would love it if you came back and finished it! I personally love the story so far, and I'm kind of disappointed that it ended here. All I'm trying to say is please come back and finish this story.

Login or register to comment