• Published 23rd Sep 2021
  • 4,275 Views, 89 Comments

A three headed family - valexto



After losing his last relative, a young man in despair wish to have a new family. And he's getting one, one that will never leave him

  • ...
6
 89
 4,275

7: Family can be hard

Author's Note:

Hi!

First of all, thanks to Dragon Verse for reminding me that this story had to continue.

I sincerely didn't realised until then that it had been two years since the last chapter, so my apologies for that. I'm trying to figure out where the story can go, if I take a very long road that I'm not certain of reaching, with a more adventurous and dramatic style, or if I keep to the slightly more fluffy side, like it is now.

And thanks to all of those who waited this long for an update!

Again, sorry for the long, long delay, and enjoy!

After destroying Twilight's book, waiting for her to calm down while being berated by Fluttershy, Unified was forced to apologise. Not that they had to do much for that, they felt pretty bad about burning her book and so all three heads gave her their most sincere apologies, swearing not to do it again.

Thankfully for them, Twilight was a rational and fair pony, who understood the mistake of the young dragon, even if she did let out that the burned book had been a perfect exemplary of Canterlot Fauna, volume 2 and that she would have to order another one. So Twilight told Unified that she would teach him the way to transport letters through fire just like Spike, but only when they were older.

Happy with that, Unified was brought back to the cottage where he got another talk from Fluttershy along with a disapproving glare that made quick work of the baby's nerves. As a punishment for destroying Twilight's book, they were grounded for two days.


The morning sun was already high in the sky when Sage woke up, yawning as he looked to his two brothers still asleep. Today was a great day, one of great importance! It would change their life! Mark them forever till the end of time.

Today their punishment was finally reaching its end.

Being grounded was not fun, and all three heads learned that the hard way. Forced to stay in, forced to watch ponies and animals alike walk or fly outside while they were stuck in their mother's cottage. They weren't mad about it, they were mature enough to know that they had been wrong and shouldn't have burn Twilight's book. But it didn't made the wait any shorter.

A pair of yawns took him out of his reverie and he turned to both sides to watch Rex and Skaly waking up.

"Hmm... You should have let us sleep more." Grumbled Skaly.

"Its not my fault that when one of us wake up, the others do too!" Replied Sage on the defensive.

"Not again." Mumbled Rex, tired of his brothers bickering that soon in the day.

"You still wake us up!" Countered Skaly.

"I'm the first one to wake up. We don't even know if we can wake up if I'm not the first to wake up." Argued Sage.

"Then let me do it."

"How?" Asked Sage blankly. "How am I suppose not to wake up?"

"I- You should- Just do it!"

"Unified, stop fighting. Its not a good way to start your day. Please." Fluttershy asked more than commanded.

All three heads turned toward her, having been too stuck in their little fight to notice her approaching. Just seeing her instantly made them stop and they nearly forgot about what they were arguing about.

"Good morning Mom!" All three heads said at the same time.

"Good morning to you too. Here, you must be hungry." She smiled down at them, bringing a sapphire before each head that made quick work of the little gemstones.

"Shanks Mom." Happily crunched Rex.

"Its nothing. And, please close your mouth when you eat. Its more polite." Advised Fluttershy, mindful of what Rarity would think of the little dragon's lack of manners. Even if he was literally a baby so he should be excused.

Finishing their gems in silence, Skaly was the first one to talk again.

"What are we doing today?"

"Well... today is supposed to be my weekly visit to the spa with Rarity, but I told her that I had to take care of you. And its not a problem." Softly replied their mother.

"But do you want to go to the spa?" Asked Rex concerned.

"I like it but-" She started.

"Then you should go! I'll take care of Rex and Skaly!" Happily replied Sage.

Both the other heads and Fluttershy looked at him with slightly dumbfounded faces. On the other hand, Sage didn't seem to understand why they did.

"What?" He asked after a few seconds.

"Who's going to watch you?" Bluntly asked Skaly.

"Oh." Finally realised Sage.

"Unified, its really not an issue. I already told Rarity and she was very understanding." Added Fluttershy, touched by the mindfulness of her charge, even if it wasn't all well thought.

"Isn't there anyone else that could watch over us?" Asked Rex.

"I don't know." Mumbled Fluttershy. "I don't really want to disturb my friends."

"Why not Spike? He can watch over us. Plus, he is a dragon too, he'll know what to do." Suggested Sage.

"I guess we could ask him." Accepted Fluttershy.

"Yay!" Cheered Rex.

With that settled, Fluttershy packed up a little cushion in her saddlebags, along with some gems, and took Unified on her back, ready to head to the library. The peaceful walk from the cottage to the edge of Ponyville is shortly made, with no interruption, only the observations of the little dragon about everything and anything, ranging from curiosity at seing a swarm of bees warmingly greeting Fluttershy much to the dragon's dismay and fear.

"But they're bees!" Exclaimed Skaly.

"They are very nice bees." Corrected Fluttershy. "I helped them move their beehive a little further out of town so that they're not disturbing anypony. And they even let Harry take some honey, as long as he protects their hive from other predators."

"I don't like bees. They sting, they're loud and dangerous." Mumbled Sage, agreeing with his brother.

"As long as you leave them alone, you have nothing to fear." Added Fluttershy just as they entered Ponyville.

Not many ponies were trotting in the street at the moment, so they enjoyed a quick and quiet walk to the library, where Fluttershy very lightly knocked on the door.

"Do it harder." Said Skaly as no-one seemed to have hear them.

He had barely said that, that Spike opened the door.

"Hi Spike!" Greeted Rex.

"Hi Fluttershy! Hi Unified! Are you here to see Twilight?" Jovially asked the purple dragon.

"Not exactly. Not that I mind seeing her!" Quickly replied Fluttershy.

"Don't worry, she wouldn't mind. Are you here for a book? Or is something wrong with Unified again?" Asked Spike.

"Oh no, everything's fine, thank Celestia." Assured the yellow pegasus. "You see, I normally spend an afternoon with Rarity at the spa. Since I have to take care of Unified, I told her that it wasn't possible and I was going to have to reschedule to next week and-"

"And its this afternoon, right?" Easily guessed Spike, politely cutting Fluttershy.

"Yes. I was wondering if you could watch over Unified for me, until I come back."

"Of course! You'll see, I'm great at watching over. I'm basically watching over books all day." Assured Spike puffing his chest out.

"He looks like a bird." Silently laughed Rex, the three heads close to each other and snickering as they agreed on Spike's look.

"That's very nice of you Spike, thank you. Unified? What do we say?" Asked Fluttershy, turning around to look at the dragon still on her back.

"Oh, hum, thank you Spike." Sage managed to say, stopping his snickering just in time.

"I brought his cushion if he wants to take a nap and some gems for his lunch. I know you have your own gems, so you won't have to share them." Said Fluttershy as she walked up next to a sofa, gently placing Unified on the ground and then taking our the cushion and the little bag of gems out of her saddlebags.

"Nah, don't worry about it, I wouldn't mind sharing. Its a bit lonely to be the only one around eating gems so its great to have someone else to share them with." Shrugged Spike, watching Unified who started to walk around the library.

"Unified? Just a word before I go." Called them Fluttershy.

"Yes mom?" All three replied in perfect synchronisation.

"Wow, dude. That's creepy." Commented Spike.

"I want you to behave while I'm out. I trust you, alright? Don't burn any other book, don't attack anypony, and listen to what Spike says. If he says that you shouldn't do something, then you don't do it." Fluttershy sternly said, even if she kept her tone light.

"Yes mom." Unified replied, unwilling to have a repeat of the last talking Fluttershy gave them.

"Good. See you later!"

Satisfied with herself, Fluttershy gave one last smile to both Spike and Unified before heating to the spa.

"I probably should tell Twilight that you're staying with me. She's going to panic if she doesn't know where I am." Thought aloud Spike.

"Why? She is afraid to lose you?" Asked Sage.

"No. Well, I hope she would be if it ever happened, but that's not it. I'm her number one assistant and she needs me to clean the library and help her take notes, make the food, shelving the books and all kinds of other things." Explained Spike as he walked toward Twilight's study room on the other side of the library.

Unified watched him go, waiting patiently next to his cushion.

"He sounds more like a servant to me." Noted Skaly with a slightly concern expression.

"You too? It sounds like he's doing everything. I hope that he is at least getting paid for that." Agreed Sage.

"He probably likes to do that. I mean, Twilight wouldn't force him to be his assistant, right?" Said Rex.

"I don't know. Mom never told us what dragons are supposed to do." Replied Sage.

"She never told us what ponies do. Mom take cares of animals, Rainbow Dash flies clouds, Twilight likes to study magic don't like when you burn her books and I don't know about the rest. None of them do the same thing!" Complained Skaly.

"Does this means that once somebo- no, somepony, somepony have a job, no one else can have it?" Wondered Rex.

A little silence followed as all three heads thought about it.

"It seems dumb." Finally let out Skaly. "There can't be a single pony that likes magic."

"Or a single pony that likes animals." Added Sage.

"Or a single pony that move clouds." Continued Rex. "Or a single pony that-"

"Enough!" Cut him out Skaly sharply. "If there's not a pony for each things, its probably the same for dragons."

"Meaning that we could do whatever we want." Concluded Sage as he started to imagine what he could do in the future.

"Not exactly. Don't you remember how most ponies reacted to us? Unsure, threatened and scared. They don't wish us good, they're not open to the idea of having us around. It would probably be wise to leave Ponyville as soon as we're mature enough."

"Mom likes us, she isn't scared." Countered Rex.

"Don't be naive, she saw a defenceless egg and decided to take care of it not even knowing what was inside." Continued Skaly.

"But everypony seems to like Spike and he's been here longer than us. Plus, no one tried to attack us." Opposed Sage.

"Yet. We did burned Twilight's book, even if it was an accident, so I wouldn't be surprised if she were to try getting rid of us."

"Now you're just overthinking it." Said Sage as he rolled his eyes.

"Don't be fools!" Snarled the right head, standing taller in an attempt to prove his point. "We don't fit here. We're the only ones around who share three heads with one body. Not a single pony even has two heads. I'm not saying they hate us, but we should be careful around ponies, at least until we can become big enough to not be threatened by them anymore."

"Mom don't hate us. Twilight don't hate us. Spike don't hate us. Rainbow don't-" Started Rex.

"Yes! We get it!" Snapped Skaly. "Why am I stuck with you two?! Incapable to see what's in front of you! You're too blind to see the dangers around us! I'd be better on my own!"

Both Sage and Rex watched him with looks of horror, Rex almost on the verge of crying as he felt a deep pain in their shared heart. However, even if Rex was the one that Skaly replied to, Sage was far more appalled and angry with Skaly's words.

"You don't really mean that." Weakly countered Rex, moving his neck backward as he talked.

"I do! The both of you cry at anything, you don't care about our survival, and always say the dumbest things!" Continued Skaly, emptying their lungs as he shouted and making Rex cry silently as tears rolled down his face.

"Stop talking!" Commanded Sage with a snarl, getting right into Skaly's face. "You say that we're bad?! You've literally done nothing but complaining, attacking, and trying to push away anyone that comes next to us!"

Skaly tried to reply but his mouth literally wouldn't obey him, snapped shut as he glared at his brother, even though his eyes showed that he was far less confident already.

"You don't get to insult us like that! We are brothers, sharing a single body. I get that you don't like how we act, but I sometimes I don't like how you act and I don't say anything. And I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to get along than having to fight all the time!" Continued Sage, pushing Skaly's head down with his own.

"Sage. I think that's enough." Came a voice on their right.

All three heads turned to see both Twilight and Spike, standing there a bit awkwardly even if Twilight had quite the stern expression on her face. Spike just looked a bit uncomfortable, but he didn't look away from what was happening.

"We heard you shouting. Is everything okay?" Asked the little purple dragon.

"There's no problem." Grumbled Sage as he looked away.

Their expressions couldn't have fooled anyone. Rex was still weeping silently, knowing that his brother's words weren't true, but it didn't do anything to lesser the pain he felt. Sage was still pissed, rightfully so in his own opinion, not liking that the brother to the right was so agressive when all he wanted was for them to have a family. And Skaly was looking down mouth still shut, not daring to look up.

"There's definitely something wrong Sage. It's better to let it out than ignore your feelings." Wisely replied Twilight.

"He insulted us!" Defended himself the middle head.

"I understand, and while it's not a nice thing to do, it's better for him to speak his feelings aloud than fostering his anger until it blows up. Like it did just now." Calmly continued Twilight, who then turned to Skaly. "Now, Skaly, what do you have to say for yourself?"

Skaly looked up with a sad look, before shaking his head and mumbling something even if his lips remained close.

"Sage." Sternly warned Twilight.

"*sigh* You can speak." Sage gave up.

"Good. Now, Skaly?" Resumed Twilight.

"I didn't mean to be so mean." Instantly said Skaly.

"I'm sure you are. Anger can push us to say things that we would normally never speak aloud. But, could you please tell us what made you so angry?"

"I- It's just that, it feels like I'm the only one who think about our safety. Rex is completely carefree, and Sage almost never takes into account what I say when I'm warning him. And- And it feels like I'm the only one that's mature enough to see that. They're always so happy and excited, its exhausting and annoying to me." Skaly let out quite quickly, giving a few glances at his brothers.

"I understand. I was the same when I was a filly. Always more concerned about my studies than my friends and family, even if I never lashed out against my brothers. We had a few fights here and there, but nothing serious. You know why? Because our parents always made us talk our hearts out. It helps a lot to calm down everypony and it made us realise that most of the time, there were easy solutions to our conflicts." Twilight explained as she walked closer, lowering herself in front of Unified. "But your situation is unique. All three of you can never be separated from each other, meaning that you have to learn to live with each other's traits and personalities. And what I'm saying also applies to you two. I'm not saying that you have to tolerate all of Skaly's more aggressive nature, but I know he means well. It's his way of caring about you."

All three heads looked to each other with a bit of sadness in their eyes, not speaking a word but all recognising the truth in Twilight's words.

"She's right." Conceded Skaly. "I don't want to be rude or angry at anyone, and I don't hate you or anything like that, but... you two are just too happy all the time that it's hard for me to let my guard down. And sometimes you say stuff that annoys me. What I mean is, I'm sorry for lashing out like that."

"Apologie accepted." Instantly replied Rex, a small smile coming back on his lips.

"Skaly." Slowly started Sage as his brothers looked at him. "You're right, we probably don't think about our safety enough. Rex did loose his head once already so we're probably not very careful. But you are always on the edge, always on your guard, even when you don't have to. I don't really mind it, but maybe tone it down a bit? I swear to listen to you more if you can stop threatening everyone else."

"Alright, I'll try." Agreed Skaly without much difficulties.

"And I may have a solution for you." Added Twilight.

"What is it?"

"You should make some safe zones."

"Safe zones?" Echoed all three heads.

"Yes. Safe zones could be places where you know you won't be attacked by anypony, where you can allow yourself to be more relaxed. Like Fluttershy's cottage. You don't expect to be attacked there right?" Explained Twilight.

"Not by ponies but-" Started Skaly.

"There really isn't many creatures that are dangerous to us coming this close to town. The worst are probably the Timberwolves, but they never leave the Everfree forest." Instructed Twilight. "But as I was saying, you know that ponies won't attack you in your home."

"Yes."

"There we go! Now, you don't have to only make one safe zone, you can make as much as you want. I'm sure this will help you. Do you think you can do that?"

"I guess I can try." Accepted Skaly.

"Good!" Suddenly exclaimed Twilight with an accomplished but tired expression. "That should have been a conversation between you and Fluttershy. You will tell her what happened, what you've learned, and she will most certainly be proud of you."

"Sorry." Unified said still feeling a bit down.

"Now, I still have work to do, so I'll leave Spike to take care of you. But don't hesitate to come see me if there's a problem, alright?"

"Yes Twilight." Agreed Unified.

Feeling proud of having solved another friendship issue, Twilight returned to her study, already thinking about the friendship report that she would send tonight. Now alone with Spike, Unified was left to think about what the purple unicorn said, with Skaly being the most affected.

He still felt like he needed to be careful and aware for his brothers who never seemed to care about this, but he had to give it to Sage, he was probably overdoing it. Twilight's idea was interesting even if he still had some doubt, and she was right about the fact that he would have to deal with his brothers for the rest of his their life. He didn't meant what he said about being better off on his own, only that he would probably have an easier time surviving alone compared to his brothers. Though, that was probably why they had adults to watch over them. Because they weren't adults yet. Because his brothers could allow themselves to be more childish now, enjoy life without the need to watch out for danger. And, should they never change, he would do it for them.

"So... would you like to play a game?" Suggested Spike after a few seconds.

"I'm not sure." Replied Sage, giving a small glance at Skaly.

"Come on, I know some games that needs teamwork. That's exactly what you all need right now!" Encouraged them Spike.

"I want to play." Voiced Rex, finally coming out of his silence.

"I'm up for it. Skaly?" Asked Sage.

"Okay, we can play. What games do you have in mind?" Agreed Skaly.

"Well, there's a favourite of mine, but it might be a bit hard to start." Teased Spike with a little grin.

"We're not babies! We can play hard games."

"Not sure about that. But, have you ever heard of Ogres and Oubliettes?"


A yellow hoof knocked on the door of Ponyville's library, waiting for somepony, or some dragon, to come open the door.

Fluttershy felt really relaxed after her day at the spa, very much enjoying the feeling of clean fur along with the various massages that did wonders to mollify her muscles, especially her wings. Though she had never stopped thinking about Unified, worried that something might go wrong or that he would burn a book again, no matter how unlikely that was. Both Rarity and the spa sisters reassured her many times, saying that Spike was a serious dragon and that he could be trusted, that Unified was still a baby so there wouldn't be much risk for him with adults around.

And now, she was back at the library to collect her charge. She still hadn't really come to terms with the fact that she was now a mother, if an adoptive one. She didn't really minded being called Mom by Unified, but it was just so different from taking care of her many animals that she sometimes felt like she wasn't up to the task.

Waiting a couple more seconds, with apparently no one coming to open, she knocked again. Anxiously, she knocked a third time and still had no answer.

"Twilight? Spike? I'm coming in." She warned as she pushed the door open.

A couple of voices came from the other side of the library, explaining why she wasn't heard. Softly closing the door behind her, she made her way toward the voices that became clearer as she neared them.

"You rolled a natural 1." Came Spike voice.

"What?! Roll again! I can't have a one! Not now!" Complained Skaly's angry and indignant voice.

"Sorry, that's the rules. Your fire breath completely miss its target, lighting up a nearby tree." Replied Spike.

"My turn!" Cheered Rex. "I take the flower pot in my bag and throw it at the goblin!"

"Okay lets see... its a 16. Your flower pot flies through the air and smashes right in the goblin's face, making him unconscious."

"That's dumb." Grumbled Skaly just as Fluttershy turned around the corner a bookshelf, watching with a bit of surprise Unified and Spike, sat around a table that had a board game with dices, figurines and several sheets of paper around.

"There you are!" Warmly greeted Fluttershy, instantly getting the attention of all four dragons, including three that erupted in joy at her sight.

"Mom!" Shouted Unified as he hoped down from his cushion and ran straight to Fluttershy, hugging her tightly with his necks as she shared the hug with a foreleg and a wing.

"Hi Fluttershy!" Said Spike.

"Did everything went well? They all behaved right?" Asked Fluttershy, even thought it was clear that they had been enjoying themselves.

"Ehh, mostly?" He shrugged, instantly worrying the yellow pegasus before he continued, instantly brushing her concerns away. "But nothing big, just a talk between brothers."

Letting out a sigh of relief, she looked at Unified and noticed that all three heads bore slightly guilty expressions, with Skaly's being the guiltiest.

"Could you tell me what happened, please?" She asked very gently.

"..." Skaly didn't said a word, looking down as he tried to find a good way to explain himself.

"We were talking about... about... I don't remember what, but we fought over something." Started Sage, honestly not recalling what had sparked their little scuffle.

"Yeah, it wasn't a big deal." Agreed Rex.

"It was my fault." Let out Skaly with a sigh. "I said some bad things to Rex and Sage, he told me that I was wrong and Twilight stopped us then."

"She explained that we were brothers, that we should be patient with each other, listen to what we all have to say and try to get along." Summed up Sage.

"We fought a bit, but Twilight told us how to avoid it." Intervened Rex.

"Thank you for telling me. And Twilight is right, you should always stick together. Even if that's already the case for you." Fluttershy joked lightly. "And what are you playing at?"

"Ogres and Oubliettes!" Exclaimed Skaly very happy, all traces of negative emotions gone from his face. "Its fun and a good way to think about fighting."

"Can we finish later?" Sage asked Spike.

"Sure. There aren't many ponies who knows this game so I can keep it aside." Replied Spike as he began to put the game away.

"Great! Can we go home now?" Asked Rex, feeling a bit tired after this long afternoon.

"Of course." Said Fluttershy as she put Unified on her back and gathered her saddlebags, but not before taking a little pouch from it and giving it to the purple dragon. "Here you go Spike. Thank you for watching over them."

"Whoa! Thanks Fluttershy!" Cheered Spike, looking at the few bits in the bag, enough for him to buy gems or a few ice creams.

"You're welcome. Unified, what do we say?"

"Thank you Spike." Said Sage and Skaly in unisson.

"Thanks Spike." Yawned Rex, resting his head on Fluttershy's soft back.

Looks like their excitement rush was ending. They did spent most of the day awake and played quite a lot, with a more emotional interlude in between, so it was to no surprise that they started to fall asleep.

"Looks like nap time." Said Spike.

"We don't *yawn* take naps. We're not tired." Denied Skaly even as he lied down, along with Sage.

"Of course you are. Let's go home." Smiled Fluttershy. "See you soon Spike!"

"Bye!"

Waving one last time, Fluttershy started the walk back home, happy that everything went well. She was indeed a bit concerned about Unified's disagreements, but no matter how much Skaly denied it, they were still babies, so a brasher attitude and pointless arguments were to be expected. Thankfully, Twilight and Spike dealt with the issue with brio, so she was happy to bring her son(s) home.

Three little snores echoed around her until she reached her cottage, where she gently placed Unified on his cushion and then went to take care of her animals, as the day wasn't over yet.

Comments ( 9 )

Oh man, wasn't expecting this to update again.
Glad it did.

As for the authors note, personally I find an adventure and goal to be more worthwhile and easier to finish a story for, slice of life instead as just a comfy reading experience can also be enjoyable, it's just, I've never seen a slice of life have a definitive end before and I see many an author burn out because they lose momentum.

In any case, it's still early, the story can go either way and I'll be here for it, looking forward to another chapter.

11816052
That's exactly my concern with the fluffy type of story, it's quite harder to find an ending

Eyyy we're back!
Silly Fluttershy, public library means you really shouldn't need to knock during open hours.
Having a plan for a story doesn't mean it can't be lighthearted and slice of life. After all, slice of life is merely micro adventure that doesn't necessarily need adventuring. Merely navigating the tribulations of daily life can be its own adventure.
The biggest threat with conjoined entities is dominance. If they're not careful one or two will become the primary and the rest passive doormats. It's something that's already happening with Rex, actually, he was hardly doing anything at all for much of the day, and just going along with things until they took the time to pay attention and involve him. If Unified is to grow properly each part needs to stay active and equal overall. That's not to say that there should always be perfect harmony between them, but that they need learn appropriateness and encourage synergy.
But anyways, you can still keep the fluffy as you adventure through Unified's maturation. They have much space to grow as a collective individual.

It would definitely be interesting if they could spend some time split up. It's been done before with the "evil side good side" mental split, but not sure how many have done a conjoined split (quest for Camelot comes to mind, but that was a very quick instance).

Glad I could be of service! Love the update,. :pinkiehappy:

i mean, the story can introduce some adventure elements so you have a goal, but still not abandon the fluffy side.

11816085
I like how you think

Glad to see this is back, really like the concept of a character that has three heads with differing personalities.

Good to see you back

Baby Ghidorah Unified is back! I'm so glad this is continuing.

Login or register to comment