• Published 2nd Sep 2021
  • 1,021 Views, 26 Comments

Dimensional Tales: Pokemon is Magic - snivygamer97



Twilight, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and friends explore the Pokemon world while living their lives in Equestria.

  • ...
2
 26
 1,021

The Gang's First Gym Battle Part 2

The group of five heads for the Pewter City gym and stop just outside.

“So, this is Pewter gym?” Rainbow asked.

“Correct! I’ve seen it countless times in Dawn’s guidebook and in my dreams! I can’t believe we’re finally here!” Ash was pumped up.

“I still think that you could have prepared more. But…just be careful, okay?” Dawn asked.

“Alright, then,” Ash nodded in agreement as they opened the door…only to see that there was already a challenger battling.

“Elekid, standby for battle!” Paul called out as his Electric-type was sent out against the opposing Rhyhorn.

“Not him again!” Rainbow seethed to the frowning teen, though he didn’t notice or care.

“Looks like we’ll get to see a battle before we can have a go!” Ash looked on the bright side. “Still, what Pokemon is Brock fighting with?” Ash wondered as he got out his Pokedex.

“Rhyhorn, the Spiked Pokémon. Rhyhorn is known for its physical power and its considerable offensive and defensive battle skills. Rhyhorn is also known for being ridden on as part of Rhyhorn races, which are famous in the Kalos region.”

“An Elekid, huh? Let’s see what you plan on doing against my second Pokemon,” The Gym Leader, Brock, wondered. “Rhyhorn, Horn Attack into Elekid,” Brock commanded as Rhyhorn rushed towards Paul’s Elekid.

“Well, it looks like Paul is gonna be crushed against Brock’s Rhyhorn. This should be fun!” Rainbow said gleefully.

“Now, now, Rainbow Dash. Keep in mind that Paul is a skilled Trainer that was able to give you and Ash trouble,” Rarity reminded the athlete.

“Yeah, and while Gym Leaders are tough, they and their Pokemon are not invincible,” Dawn agreed. “Still, don’t expect a victory to come easily.”

“We’ll see how Paul does. It may be a good indicator on how strong Brock is,” Ash said as Rainbow nodded.

“Protect,” Paul said as Elekid created a blue barrier around himself, holding back the Spiked Pokemon’s attack. “Now, use Brick Break! Let’s go!” Elekid used a karate chop in order to knock back the rhino-like Pokemon without a lot of effort.

“Whoa! Paul’s Elekid is good!” Pinkie Pie was amazed.

“Yeah. I know that Fighting-type moves work well on Rock-types, but for Paul to do so well…that’s impressive,” Rarity agreed.

“Now Paul can light up the show with an Electric-type attack!” Pinkie Pie yelled out, trying to be nice to their enemy as she gained the attention of Paul and Brock.

“Uh, you friends of the challenger or do you plan on battling after him?” Brock asked.

“They are not my friends. I would hardly even call them rivals. For now, let’s just focus on our battle,” Paul said.

“Uh, you wanna save the cheerleading for us, Pinks?” Rainbow asked in annoyance.

“Sorry. Just trying to be friendly,” Pinkie apologized.

“To be fair, it wouldn’t work. Electric-type moves have no effect on Ground-types,” Ash noted.

“Ash is right. Pikachu may end up being in trouble during Ash’s Gym battle since Pikachu’s only moves right now are Thundershock and Quick Attack,” Dawn pointed out.

“Makes me wonder why you plan on battling with him if he can’t do that well,” Rarity pointed out.

“It’s clear you’ve raised your Elekid very well, Paul. But…the battle is far from over,” Brock said. “Rhyhorn, use your Stone Edge attack!”

As Rhyhorn shot out a barrage of stones, Paul called out, “Elekid, use your Thunder to destroy the stones!” Elekid’s Thunder hit its mark, destroying all the stones with ease. “Now, use your Brick Break on Rhyhorn’s head!” At this, Elekid karate chopped once more, landing a super-effective hit on Rhyhorn.

“Impressive. I mean, I knew Paul was tough, but he’s already gaining the lead and the battle is just beginning,” Ash was amazed.

“I know, right? Paul may be at a disadvantage, but he’s still in complete control,” Dawn agreed.

“I may not have had Elekid for long, but I have prepared him to fight against any Rock-Type Pokemon that would dare stand in our path!” Paul noted. “Now, Elekid, Brick Break once more!”

As Elekid rushed towards the rhino, Brock made his next call, “Rhyhorn, shake up the field with Bulldoze!”

“Elekid, use Pr-,” Paul called too late to counter Bulldoze as the field got shook up.

And shake up the field Rhyhorn did. The quake was quick to hit Elekid, who was still on the ground when the attack hit. The attack, tellingly for an Electric-type against a Ground move, did a lot of damage and left Elekid struggling to stand as soon as the attack was over.

“Grr! Get back up right now, Elekid!” Paul demanded harshly.

“Don’t you think you should treat your Pokemon nicer?” Ash asked as Pikachu and his Snivy called out in agreement.

“I agree! If Pokemon battles are like I think they are, you should at least treat your partner decently!” Rainbow agreed.

“Who asked you?” Paul asked bitterly.

“Uh, excuse me? Maybe we should calm down and stop before we end up fighting?” Brock politely but firmly asked. “Rhyhorn, use your Horn Attack!”

As Rhyhorn rushed at Elekid, Paul made another call. “Elekid, use your Brick Break on the Horn Attack!” Elekid hit Rhyhorn clear on the head, causing a fair amount of damage and making Rhyhorn dizzy. “Perfect! Now use Brick Break once more!” Paul cried out as Elekid’s arm glowed brown.

“Let’s finish this! Rhyhorn, use Bulldoze!” Brock yelled out.

“Elekid, grab onto Rhyhorn’s head!” Paul ordered as Elekid jumped before he could be damaged by the Bulldoze and landed on top of Rhyhorn, with the Spiked Pokemon tried to shake off Elekid. “Don’t let yourself be shaken off! Hold on tight!”

“What did you…? Impressive!” Brock said. “But you won’t last for much longer. Rhyhorn, use Stone Edge on Elekid!” Rhyhorn tried to send out a barrage of stones, only for the move to miss its mark.

“I don’t understand. Why didn’t Elekid just use Protect? It seems weird that he’d jump onto Rhyhorn to dodge if he can’t do much more damage up close,” Rarity was confused.

“I know, right? Do you think that it has to do with keeping away from the ground?” Pinkie Pie suggested.

“I think that is what is going on, girls,” Dawn answered as Rarity and Pinkie turned to the bluenette.

“Clarify please,” Rainbow asked.

“You see, Paul knows that using Protect wouldn’t allow Elekid to dodge Bulldoze for long. Plus, he could be outsped and not be able to even get off Protect to begin with,” Dawn explained.

“Yeah! And since most of Rhyhorn’s moves only work when Rhyhorn’s horn or legs can reach the target, that leaves Brock with very few options to fight back,” Ash continued.

“Of course! Not only that, but the only move Rhyhorn could still use could easily miss due to Stone Edge only being able to hit forward!” Rainbow realized. “Am I right?”

“Spot on! Now, it’s only a matter of Paul finding an opening to fight back,” Ash said, amazed.

“Hopefully that doesn’t happen! I’d rather not see that jerk win!” Rainbow said.

“But..shouldn’t we at least be hospitable, Dashie?” Pinkie Pie asked innocently.

“Maybe…but remember that Paul still doesn’t seem to be treating Pokemon well,” Ash said sadly.

“Rhyhorn, we can still win this battle! Shake off Elekid and use your Bulldoze on him!” Brock called out.

As Rhyhorn’s shaking got more intense, Elekid had a harder time of staying on and avoiding the Ground-Type move being used. Just when it seemed as though Rhyhorn was going to win, Paul suddenly smirked and said, “Elekid, use Brick Break on Rhyhorn’s front legs!” Paul’s Elekid did just that, causing Rhyhorn to fall to the ground and off of his feet.

“What? Hmm, impressive there. Your Pokemon seems to be even stronger than I had anticipated,” Brock said with a smile.

“I tend to make sure I grab and catch all the strongest Pokemon for myself. I don’t deal with the weak or average,” Paul responded as Rainbow, Dawn, and Ash shook their heads in frustration and sadness. “Now, Elekid, finish this battle up with your Brick Break!”

As Elekid approached Rhyhorn, Brock yelled out, “Counter with your Horn Attack!” Rhyhorn tried to counter…only for the Spiked Pokemon to fall over before he could rush at Elekid. “Oh no!”

And so, Elekid was quickly able to hit Rhyhorn with another Brick Break, knocking out the opposing Rhyhorn.

“Rhyhorn is unable to battle. Elekid wins! The victory goes to the challenger, Paul of Veilstone City!” A younger kid around Ash and company’s age gave the call.

“Well, it looks like we’ve lost for the second time today. You were great, Rhyhorn. Take a nice and long rest,” Brock said as he recalled Rhyhorn to his Pokeball and walked over to Paul. “I must say. While I think that your attitude could be improved, you were a very strong battler. Your Slowpoke and Elekid proved to be very strong. Hopefully, soon you’ll be able to make it to the Indigo Plateau.” Brock got out his badge, the Boulder badge, and handed it over to Paul. “You earned this.”

“Hmph. Thanks a lot, sir. I’ll be on my way,” Paul bowed in respect to Brock and turned to leave.

“Wait a second! Paul, maybe you could stay a little bit and see Ash and Rainbow here battle,” Pinkie Pie suggested.

“What? But-,” Rainbow tried to object.

“Pinkie Pie? Maybe we should think about this for a moment,” Rarity tried to interrupt.

“I don’t see a problem with it. Maybe this way Paul can see the heart and teamwork side of battling and not just power,” Ash said.

“But- Why should we expect this jerk to change if he just wants to never form bonds with others?!” Rainbow demanded.

“Look, I’d rather get going instead of seeing these two clowns fail. Though, maybe a loss would show them that power is important and all that should be focused on,” Paul said insultingly.

“This isn’t what I was expecting at all…,” Pinkie said sadly.

“I know, Pinkie,” Rarity tried to be comforting.

“I don’t see how this would be interesting, so I guess I’ll just leave,” Paul said as he began to leave once more.

“Wait! Look, maybe Pinkie and Ash have a point. While we may not fully like each other or agree, that mainly is because we don’t understand each other’s points of view. Besides, we got to see some of your battle. Wouldn’t it be fair to see Ash and Rainbow battle a bit too before writing them off as weak?” Dawn suggested.

To Dawn’s confusion, Paul just stood there looking confused.

“Um, is something the matter?” Dawn asked

“Who are you supposed to be?” Paul asked.

In an instant, Dawn’s mood turned into a burning forest. “Excuse me! We’ve met already! Back at the Viridian City Pokemon Center, remember?!” Dawn yelled out.

“Don’t remember you,” Paul bluntly responded.

Dawn’s anger got even worse, now being as bad as a volcano. “You think this is funny, well do ya pal?! Apologize right now or else!” Dawn yelled as she tried to rush at Paul.

“All right! Give him a good punch in the nose for me!” Rainbow cheered only for Rarity and Ash to stop Dawn and for Pinkie to shake her head.

“Look, Rainbow Dash, I understand your anger and distaste for the guy, but maybe we shouldn’t pick a fight,” Rarity said.

“But-,” Rainbow muttered in annoyance.

“Yeah. As mad as he makes me, I’d rather try and be friends rather than fight all the time,” Ash said.

“Agreed. Please accept my apology, Paul,” Dawn, albeit begrudgingly, apologized.

“Hmph,” Paul grunted in annoyance as he was about to go. However, Brock was quick to interrupt.

“You know, you could learn a few things by watching the battles of fellow Trainers. I’d stay and watch at least some of the battles,” Brock suggested.

After a moment of thinking, Paul decided, “Fine. But I already have a feeling this will be a waste of time.”

“We won’t be wasting your time, you jerk!” Rainbow yelled back.

“Come on, Dashie! Being a grumpy jerk won’t solve our Paul problem. I say you show how powerful you and your Pokemon are. And maybe we can have cupcakes at the diner to celebrate you and Ash’s wins!” Pinkie Pie suggested.

“You know what, Pinkie Pie? That sounds like a great idea! Snivy, Charmander, and I will defeat Brock and whatever Rock-types he has!” Rainbow Dash boasted.

“Little overconfident, are we?” Dawn muttered awkwardly to herself.

“She tends to be very courageous and cocky. I’ll admit that much. But, it’s better than picking a fight,” Rarity admitted.

“So, anyway, we should get back to our challenge and my victory,” Rainbow boasted.

“I can admit you have spirit, challenger. However, I must request you wait until Twilight returns with my other three Pokemon,” Brock declined the challenge.

“If they are anywhere near as tough as the Pokemon I faced, then I’d say you and your pathetic pals are gonna lose,” Paul said.

“Wait, Twilight?! So, she was here?!” Ash was surprised.

“I thought we made an agreement that I’d be the first challenger between us,” Rainbow grumbled.

“Uh, Dashie? I don’t remember an agreement like that happening,” Pinkie innocently said, causing Rainbow to fall comically.

“Well, to answer the one guy’s question, yes! Twilight and I did battle earlier. I found her looking over her guidebook looking for something. I learned she was a challenger and we battled just before lunch. It was amazing to see such a thoughtful challenger pull out a win,” Brock admitted.

“So, she won then? That’s so good to hear!” Pinkie Pie cheered.

“Wait. Why did you send her to the Pokemon Center? Don’t you have Gym aids or something?” Dawn asked, confused.

“Normally it’s just me and Forrest looking after the Gym. I was about to leave to heal my Pokemon when Paul showed up looking for a challenge. I have a variety of different Pokemon that I have on hand to battle with and I also go to the Pokemon Center a few times a day so that I can challenge multiple Trainers a day. I was caught at a bad time, but Twilight offered to take the Pokemon over to the Center and I saw she had no intentions of stealing them so I let her take them over,” Brock explained.

“That sounds very sweet,” Rarity cooed.

“I know, but kinda risky,” Dawn agreed.

“Hey, Twilight is no thief. I’d say Brock has nothing to worry about,” Rainbow said.

“Look, I have places to go and battles to train for. So, can you please get things over with so that I can go?” Paul rudely said.

Rainbow was about to make a snippy comment back at Paul only for Pinkie Pie and Rarity to motion not to do so. So, she begrudgingly decided not to make a comment and sit down. “So, am I still going to go up against Brock first?”

“You know, Rainbow Dash, perhaps you should wait for Ash to go first? After all, he has been waiting for longer than you to challenge his first Gym,” Rarity suggested.

“And doing so would allow you to get a better idea of what you’re up against,” Dawn agreed.

“Well…,” Rainbow was about to protest over not being able to battle right away. However, upon looking over at Ash and seeing that he was giving a pleading look, Rainbow begrudgingly decided, “Fine. You can go first, Ash. But I plan on going next.”

“Agreed. We just need to wait for…,” Brock began only for Twilight to arrive holding three Pokeballs in hand.

“I’m back, Brock! I asked Nurse Joy to do a full examination of your Pokemon, just like you said you normally do. I hope that the examination meets up with the high standards your Gym must have,” Twilight said, looking simultaneously lovestruck and nervous all at once.

“Um, is it just me or…?” Rainbow Dash began to ask.

“Does it appear as though Twilight has been hit by cupid’s arrow?” Dawn finished the thought everyone was having.

“Well, judging by those red cheeks and my knowledge of romance novels, I’d say yes,” Rarity said.

“Uh, what are you guys talking about? I’m just being a pal to Brocko here. He needed help and I decided to give it to him, see?” Twilight denied as her cheeks turned redder.

“Yeah, you are perfectly subtle, Twilight,” Rainbow muttered to herself.

“So, anyway, I take it that the others went elsewhere for the time being. You know, seeing as how they aren’t all present to watch Ash and Rainbow battle?” Twilight nervously asked, trying to ignore the pounding in her chest.

“Yep. Applejack seems to think we need to waste time preparing like you normally would. So, Ash and I decided to get our badges from this Gym and then watch her challenge when she’s ready,” Rainbow answered.

“Uh huh. And speaking of which, I should go ahead and get started. Sorry we didn’t introduce ourselves earlier. I'm Ash from Pallet Town. I challenge you,” Ash said.

“My name is Rainbow Dash. Don’t wear it out. I’m gonna be the greatest Trainer in the world soon enough. And these are our friends Dawn, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie,” Rainbow said as she pointed to her other friends.

“So, I take it that these are both your first gym matches?” Brock asked seriously.

“Uh huh. And we plan on winning!” Rainbow boasted as Paul and Twilight sighed, the former in annoyance and the latter in concern and lovestruck.

“Why do you ask?” Dawn asked.

“A gym match is different from other battles. This match is for Pokémon League authorization. There are special rules,” Brock answered.

“What do you mean by special rules?” Pinkie Pie asked curiously.

“Yeah! What rules are there other than defeating your opponent?” Rainbow asked.

“I’ve heard these rules before. Like when I battled the Samurai in the forest, we can use multiple Pokemon to battle with in one battle,” Ash answered.

“And the battle will be over when either side is unable to continue,” Twilight answered. “Oh, sorry about that. I am just very interested in Pokemon and battles and stuff like that.”

“That’s okay Twilight. Anyways, both you and Ash are right. We will use two or three Pokémon each. Understood?” Brock asked.

“Understood,” Ash nodded.

“So, can we get to the battle now? Snivy and I are looking forward to our own battle where we’ll definitely win!” Rainbow boasted.

“Of course. Well, Ash. How long have you been with those Pokémon?” Brock asked, referring to Ash’s Snivy and Pikachu.

“About a week, I guess. You see, Pikachu is my first Pokemon and this Snivy was the second one I ever caught. I have to admit I’ve gotten very close to them,” Ash admitted as Snivy and Pikachu gave happy looks, with Snivy’s also looking surprised.

“I don’t know much about this Snivy of yours, so I can’t tell how that battle will go. As for your other Pokemon, I can say your Pikachu is in its cutest stage,” Brock said as Pikachu looked happy for the compliment… Only for Brock to finish, “It can't win.” Pikachu nearly falls over in disbelief.

“I understand that Pikachu isn’t the best fit for this Gym, but I'll worry about my Pokémon and you worry about yours, alright? Besides, I plan on battling with my Snivy and Aipom first, got it?” Ash said, half-respectfully and half-annoyed.

“Suit yourself. As a gym leader, I have to accept every challenge. So let's just get this over with,” Brock said as he snaps his fingers, Ash and company raced for their side of the battlefield as Twilight handed over the three Pokeballs before joining her friends.

“I'll be the judge,” Forrest says.

“Let the match begin!” Brock calls out.

“Alright. Okay, Snivy, I choose you, buddy,” Ash says as Snivy jumps down to challenge the opposing Pokemon.

“Aerodactyl, I choose you!” Brock calls out as she materializes with a roar.

“An Aerodactyl, huh?” Rainbow muttered.

“Whoa! An Aerodactyl?! So cool!” Ash gushed.

“Looks like you are pretty lucky Ash! Facing off against such a rare Pokemon. Still, I’m kinda surprised to see one here. I mean, I thought that Aerodactyl were mostly extinct now,” Dawn admitted.

“Oh, you see…,” Twilight began only for Forrest to interrupt.

“You see, as Gym Leader, Brock has access to the local mine’s fossils. We have a prototype machine that can restore some fossils, like Aerodactyl here. We’ve only been able to restore a few, however,” Forrest answered.

“So, let’s see what an Aerodactyl is all about then,” Dawn said.

“This will be a three on three Pokémon battle! If either competitor has no Pokémon left, they will lose the match! If the challenger wins this match, he will receive the Boulder Badge! The challenger, Ash, has chosen Snivy. The gym leader, Brock, has chosen Aerodactyl! Battle, commence!” Forrest calls out as the battle begins.

Author's Note:

I hope you all enjoyed the chapter. I apologize for not having Ash's battle in this chapter, but I promise to have it appear in the next. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do in the future, please let me know.

Comments ( 9 )

Wonder how crazy the battle will be?

i think you got your pokemon mixed up there at the end.

11362250
Thanks for pointing out that error. I used a Transcript in order to help me write this story and save me time rewatching episodes. I fixed the error. If you or anyone else notices any future mistakes or oversights, please let me know.

11362252
will do. if you need more rivals for the gang i can lend you my oc if you'd like.

11362277
I plan on incorporating a few characters from later series at some point, but I guess I can always use more rivals. What is their personality like?

11362281
i'll message you.

11362314
Thank You. Also, have any ideas on which rivals from the anime or games that I should incorporate in my story and at which points?

11362321
i have a few. some that will sure to mesh well with the girls.

Do any of the the female human characters throw any punches in this story?

Login or register to comment