• Published 18th Jun 2021
  • 1,235 Views, 24 Comments

lights - dashiesfangirl

  • ...
4
 24
 1,235

lights

Author's Note:

this was hella scary to write. i'm even surprised it came from my own imagination! i actually refuse to read it over, that kinda says about how scary it is for me lmao

1:09 am.

Twilight Sparkle sat in her chair in the Golden Oak Library. What was she doing, you may ask? The unicorn was doing nothing but catching up on her reading. Her appearance was quite neat; a smooth mane, a well-cared-for tail and a glistening coat, due to the fact that she was fresh out of a warm, relaxing bath. Twilight thought it was, indeed, a perfect night. The night itself even proved it to her.

She had a window open next to her desk so the soft breeze could caress her mane freely. The wind was at a stable speed too, so the light pages of her books wouldn't flip on their own. She had a scented candle right on the edge of her desk. The fire danced and created shadows on Twilight's face and definitely made it easier to read the books. And something about the windy night just made Twilight happy. Was it the smell of nature? Maybe the glowing light of the candle? Or perhaps it was the perfect temperature? Either way, there were a lot of things that made this night special.

Twilight lowered her right hoof that was holding up her face and turned around, careful to not let the chair squeak. She got up from her seat and started walking towards the middle of the library, where a little, sleeping dragon rested. Twilight tilted her head and smiled. She made sure he was warm and tucked him in with his favorite blanket before returning to her seat.

Suddenly, the wind grew a bit stronger. Strong enough to blow the fire off the candle and flip the pages of Twilight's book. This made Twilight frown since she hadn't yet bookmarked the page she was at. The moonlight piercing through the window was the only source of light remaining. As Twilight started to reignite the candle again, the light outside started to shine even more.

"Huh?" Twilight blurted out to herself. She stuck her head out of the window, looked up, and gasped in amazement. When she pulled her head back, a huge smile was plastered on her face. She sprinted towards the sleeping dragon and started shaking him vigorously.

"Spike! Spike, wake up! You've gotta see this! Come on, wake up!" Twilight trilled.

Still half asleep, Spike yawned and stretched out his arms and smacked his lips. "Twilight? Wha..what time is it?"

"Who cares? You need to come outside with me!" Twilight blabbered. Using her magic, she picked up the purple dragon, opened the door and floated him outside, keeping him close within her reach.

"Hey, where are we-" Spike started. Twilight then dropped him on the ground just right beside her. "Woah."

There it was. Just between the two and moon, right there in the middle of the sky. A radiant, luminescent trail of light with shimmering shades of purple floated through the lonely air just right above them. It was nothing like they've ever seen before. It was angelic. The light seemed to stretch from the north all the way to the south. Before Twilight knew it, the citizens of Ponyville woke up and went outside to check it out. They all stood there in awe.

"But how?" Spike wondered aloud. He looked towards his side up at Twilight, after not hearing her say anything. Twilight's expression looked different. Just a couple minutes ago she was so excited and bubbly. Now, her face stood straight. Her eyes were widened and her pupils grew smaller. Her mouth dropped open and scared breaths escaped from her tongue.

"Twilight?"

Finally taking her gaze off of the sky, Twilight turned to Spike.

Without warning, she picked him up and threw him on her back, galloping away from the library and towards the edge of the town at full speed.

"Twilight? What's going on?!" Spike whimpered nervously. He frantically turned around after hearing a few echoing screams and shouts from the ponies behind them. Everypony outside started following Twilight, followed by more and more ponies.

"We need to get out of here!!" Twilight panted. "NOW!"

"But why? W-What's happening?!" Spike warbled.

"It's gonna catch up to us!"

Spike squinted his eyes. He started to see a big, dark shadow emerge from near the library and consume a few of the ponies who didn't run. The wails from them evaporated into thin air, leaving nothing of them left.

"Twilight, where are we going?!"

Twilight couldn't answer. She was too focused on getting her and Spike out of there. She didn't stop. She couldn't stop now. Spike could see that the shadows were catching up to the ponies, consuming them one by one. And as it did, the lights got a bit darker in color.

"Twilight!" A high-pitched voice sounded from behind.

At once, Twilight recognized the voice. "Pinkie Pie?! Where are the rest of our friends?!"

"They must've gotten away already! Except for Rarity!" Pinkie Pie huffed, trying to catch up to Twilight.

Spike broke a sweat. "Rarity? She didn't get eaten yet, did she?"

"I-I don't really know," Pinkie stammered, slowing down with tiredness. "All I heard was her soul-scratching scream and... and it just disappeared along with the Carousel Boutique."

"No." Spike tightened his grip on Twilight's coat as tears started to fall from his green eyes.

"Spike, there's nothing we could've done," Twilight sadly sighed, her speed accelerating as she heard more shouts and shrieks from behind. "We need to focus on getting out of-"

Pinkie Pie's disappearing screech was heard from a few meters away. Spike clenched his eyes shut as Twilight, now starting to cry, sped up faster and into the Everfree forest. She still didn't stop till Spike couldn't see Ponyville anymore. What was there to see though? Everything was gone. Rarity. Pinkie Pie. Everypony. Seemed like only the two of them made it.

Twilight was gasping for air as Spike hopped down from the mare's back. She collapsed to the ground and sobbed into the grass. Spike checked his surroundings, looking for ponies who could've possibly made it. There was one, just to his right.

He tapped Twilight's head and Twilight looked up from the ground and looked to where Spike was pointing. A slim alicorn's silhouette was walking past them a couple meters away, her silky mane wavering in the wind. Twilight stood up and started to walk towards it. Spike followed.

Suddenly, the alicorn stopped in its tracks. As Twilight caught up, she recognized the alicorn's appearance. "Princess Luna...?"

The alicorn turned around. It was, indeed, Princess Luna. Although Twilight couldn't be sure since she looked different.

Princess Luna looked like she was rotting. Her hooves and legs were now nothing but bones and little pieces of dust and blackened flesh. Half of her face was disappearing too, her skin crumpling and fading away right then and there. Princess Luna approached Twilight, revealing the other half of her body.

It was all bones.

"Princess Luna?! What-"

Luna stood a foot away from Twilight and faced her. The unpleasant smell made Twilight grimace as she started shaking in fear.

"Wake up, Twilight," Princess Luna bellowed. Her voice sounded like it was... glitching.

"You need to get out of here!" Her voice now sounded like she had an extremely parched throat and grew weaker as she started to rot faster. Twilight and Spike started backing up and sprinting away from her, but the shadows were there to greet them.


Twilight woke up in a cold sweat. There she was, back at home, in her chair.

"I must've fallen asleep while reading," Twilight chuckled nervously to herself.

Suddenly, the candle went out.

Twilight's smile slowly faded as she hesitatingly looked out of the open window.

There it was again.

The purple light.



Then..



Then that means...

Comments ( 23 )

Are the lack of capital letters in the synopsis and title intentional?

Wait this is amazing -

10865517
bro you have no idea how much that means to me ty LOL i came up with it right on the spot [proud]

10865570
you definitely should be proud, this story is amazing -

Goosebumps.

Maybe try the basement this time. Or at least take advantage of the head start.

Officialy one of my top favorite stories here.

I haven’t read this yet (though planning to), I just have to point out how much I love the innocent the picture is and non ominous the title is, and then I look up and see the gore tag.

Very good! I specialise in horror short stories - they're what I tend to write in real life - so this was a breath of fresh air. There were a few mistakes of partial note, but overall, all things considered, this is excellent.

10866141
thank you, do you mind telling my what my mistakes were?

Mind if I do a reading of this for my Youtube Channel?

Well this takes the top podium of Horror stories I've read in 2021, admittedly I haven't been on this site for the majority of this year but Its a refreshing horror story to read.



---- Now looking into escape options that Princess Twilight Sparkle has at her disposal

T̶̻͍̋H̶͓͗Ė̶̦R̵̞͘E̴̹͑̕ ̴̜̩̆͝I̴̬̾Ŝ̴̗́ ̸̢̮̀N̷͙̦̄Ǫ̴͙͋ ̷͓̺̍͊Ĕ̶̳Š̴̥C̸̣̥̈͘Ä̷͓P̶̹̀Ẻ̴̠̽ ̸͍͘

She could teleport with the advanced warning to gather her friends and the elements... depending if the Season were in actually has the Elements in Ponyville or Canterlot, not sure if the awesome Rainbow has enough power to blast this g̶l̴i̸t̶c̷h̶i̷n̵g̷ voice "Luna" thing...

If that fails and you get sent back, then abandon Ponyville with Spike and that pet Owl like the sinking ship that Ponyville has become, use Magic to teleport, run, find Zecora in the Everfree and try to contact Princess Celestia with Dragon fire. And attempt to save your friends and their families.

Transportation options is use a Steam Train that has conveniently been steamed up by the Conductor and find help with Celestia.
Or borrow the Hot air balloon in the town, however filling it with air might be too slow when it comes, wait isn't the sky dangerous as that is where the lights are coming from...

If stuck in an endless cycle of failures then maybe one of them will succeed but the more likely conclusion is that your not a time loop instead your in an endless nightmare that is slowly killing you.

I'll mark this one as almost-Hopeless situation for Twilight.

10866255 Something that caught my attention was your tendency to refrain from using simple 'said' or 'responded' words denoting speech.

"Huh?" Twilight blurted out to herself. She stuck her head out of the window, looked up, and gasped in amazement. When she pulled her head back, a huge smile was plastered on her face. She sprinted towards the sleeping dragon and started shaking him vigorously.

"Spike! Spike, wake up! You've gotta see this! Come on, wake up!" Twilight trilled.

Still half asleep, Spike yawned and stretched out his arms and smacked his lips. "Twilight? Wha..what time is it?"

"Who cares? You need to come outside with me!" Twilight blabbered. Using her magic, she picked up the purple dragon, opened the door and floated him outside, keeping him close within her reach.

"Hey, where are we-" Spike started. Twilight then dropped him on the ground just right beside her. "Woah."

There it was. Just between the two and moon, right there in the middle of the sky. A radiant, luminescent trail of light with shimmering shades of purple floated through the lonely air just right above them. It was nothing like they've ever seen before. It was angelic. The light seemed to stretch from the north all the way to the south. Before Twilight knew it, the citizens of Ponyville woke up and went outside to check it out. They all stood there in awe.

"But how?" Spike wondered aloud.

Generally, such practise is considered of bad form. It reads in a somewhat stuttered way, especially as most higher-level stories are not written as such: thus, it catches peoples attention, though not in a good way. Consider using simpler expressions instead;

"Who cares? You need to come outside with me!" Twilight said, excited

Aside from this, there are minor dialogue errors, though they really are minor - for example,

"I-I don't really know," Pinkie stammered, slowing down with tiredness. "All I heard was her soul-scratching scream and... and it just disappeared along with the Carousel Boutique."

is, when read out loud, probably not something a tired, panicked, Pinkie Pie would say. Soul-scratching is a better descriptor in literature than in speech.

In the same extract I chose to use as an example, there is a minor grammatical mistake; one I do not fondly remember from my younger years. It caught me off-guard many a time.

"I-I don't really know," Pinkie stammered, slowing down with tiredness. "All I heard was her soul-scratching scream and... and it just disappeared along with the Carousel Boutique."

should instead be written as

"I-I don't really know," Pinkie stammered, slowing down with tiredness, "all I heard was her soul-scratching scream and... and it just disappeared along with the Carousel Boutique."

Aside from that - which, if your bio is to be believed, is very little; I myself was troubled by more at that age when writing - I look forward to seeing you produce other works. I especially encourage horror! It is a favourite genre of mine.

10870374
thank you for ur feedback! i will definitely be using your advice when writing more fics (probably more horror)

10870440 Wonderful! I look forward to it.

Awesome story! I love the cosmic horror of a light being the monster. I did a reading of this story on my YouTube channel, I'll leave a link if you want to check it out.

https://youtu.be/srjFr02V5Ew

Login or register to comment