• Published 18th Apr 2021
  • 1,084 Views, 42 Comments

Got Your Six - Revel Montaro



Tempest Shadow has returned to Canterlot to serve as Twilight Sparkle's new Captain of the Guard, but not everyone is happy about it. Now she must fight a new battle to prove she belongs.

  • ...
3
 42
 1,084

Epilogue

“And I’m sure you know the rest, cupcake.”

“Graaaaandpaaaa!” the filly bemoaned. “I don’t wanna be called cupcake!”

Strong Bow rolled his eyes while his wife, Blue Turquoise, giggled softly at her daughter’s complaint. The couple took that as their cue to stand and begin to clean the table of the last of the dessert dishes that had been left finished for some time while Strong Bow’s father, Stout Defender, finished telling the story of how his parents, Tempest Shadow and Flash Sentry, had met and how they saved the princess in those early days of her reign. He had of course told the story to his son a number of times, but his granddaughter was finally old enough to hear the whole story herself. Much to the elder unicorn's delight, she had listened to every word with wide eyes and insatiable curiosity.

“I apologize, dear. I was just so glad you asked to hear about my parents. I have been waiting for years to finally tell you that story even if you had heard a snippet here or there. It was always my favorite and their first of many adventures together and more importantly, it gives you a chance to hear the family history of where your name comes from.”

Tempest Fury smiled at her grandfather, her big green eyes full of childlike wonder. She had been told by her parents and grandparents before that she had been named after a great warrior, but at eight years old she was finally old enough to appreciate what that meant. Tempest pushed her white and pink mane back from her face. “Was great grandpa Flash ever able to fly again?"

Stout flashed a grimace before smiling thinly. "Sadly, no. No pony knows for sure, perhaps because the poison touched his heart or because he was a pegasus, but my father could only ever manage some flap jumps and short periods of hovering. But don't be sad, because he never let it stop him from being a great guard and even better father."

"Do you think I will be able to be a guard someday just like you and my dad?”

Stout Defender rubbed his old stubbled and wrinkled chin. “I don’t know. Are you willing to commit your life to protecting others without hesitation, especially the princess?”

“Absolutely!”

“Are you willing to train hard and be not only a good guard, but one worthy of the name you were given and for the honor of this family?”

“Yes, sir! Without a doubt!”

Stout nodded with a smile. “Well then, I supposed now is just the hard part.”

“What’s the hard part?”

There was a mischievous sparkle in the old unicorn’s eye. “The waaaaaaaiting! You have at least ten years before you can apply to be a guard. Nine for junior officer’s training assuming your grades are high enough and somepony is willing to write you an endorsement letter.”

Tempest’s excitement waned ever so slightly. She was not entirely sure what any of that meant and looked over her shoulder to her parents who had moved to the love seat and were cuddled up next to one another. It was sweet, in that gross, my parents still think they are young and cute and can get away with public displays of affection anytime they want, sort of way.

Strong Bow caught on to his daughter’s hesitation and levitated a sofa pillow to throw at his father who easily caught it and stuffed it behind his own head as he pushed the seat back to a reclining position.

“Dad, stop trying to scare her. I’m sure the princess or her personal advisor, or the head librarian at the Canterlot Archives would gladly sign an endorsement letter for her.” Strong Bow leaned forward, arching an eyebrow. “Assuming you are able to meet all the other requirements.”

Tempest stood at attention and snapped off quite a respectable salute for an eight year old. “I can do it, I WILL DO IT! I will do the best I can at school and whatever other requirements I need to. I will not only be a guard officer, but I will be Captain of the Guard! Just like my great grand!”

Stout was beginning to settle in for a nap, smiling one last time as his eyes grew heavy. “And a fine captain you will be. I know I would follow you into battle without question.”

Blue Turquoise kissed her husband’s cheek and slid out of the seat. “Tempest, why don’t you go play outside for a bit before it gets dark so I can finish cleaning up in here and your grandfather can nap in peace.” Tempest saluted again to her mother and headed out the backdoor.

Tempest’s parents had done up their backyard like an obstacle course and miniature training ground. Tempest had begged her father to do it and while Blue Turquoise had been hesitant, she understood the allure of wanting to be a strong, proud guard especially after a few incidents at school. Even at eight years old Tempest was taller than all her classmates. She had been mistaken for an older student on more than one occasion. Sometimes, though never to her face, some of the other fillies called her ‘freak’ or ‘big hoof’. Only one had dared make fun of the fact that her mother was an earth pony. It had ended with a trip to the principals office.

To help better divert that aggression, show their daughter there was a benefit of her early growth spurts, and make it fun Blue and Strong Bow set up the obstacle course. Tempest used it all to relearned her center of gravity to balance so she would never trip over her own hooves again in front of others, practiced controlling her magical surges, and of course, got to jump, swing, and play.

Often Tempest would pretend she was guard captain, leading a charge against an outside, unknown enemy and was coming to her princess’s rescue. While many believed the guard were just around the palace for basic security or to look good, Tempest knew that the guard were also the first and last line of defense for the ruler of Equestria and its citizens. Sure, the princess was an alicorn and amazingly strong. But she was still just one pony. Everyone needed a friend and someone else to rely on.

“Don’t worry, princess!” Tempest declared as she swung from the rope ladder, to the hanging bar, pulled herself over to do a flip then sent a small stun bolt to a revolving target that spun when struck. Tempest landed on the platform and climbed to the top tower, pretending it was the highest tower of Canterlot Castle.

“I, Tempest Fury, the mighty great granddaughter to Tempest Shadow and your Captain of the Guard will always be there to protect you! No enemy is too great, no fiend is too clever! With my trusty company of guards at my command we will keep all of Equestria safe. All hail Princess Twilight Sparkle! Long may she rule!”

Tempest felt a surge of energy building inside her. It was warm and pleasant, but unlike anything else she had ever felt. It was not coming from her horn, but instead from her heart. Her body began to glow and for a scary second or two she considered screaming for help. Then there was a blinding flash of light. Tempest blinked the spots from her eyes as the warm feeling subsided and an odd sensation drew her eyes to her flank. She gasped.

“MOM! DAD! Come quick!” Tempest grinned as she examined her flank. Her vermillion fur was now adorn with the image of a castle turret placed before two crossed spears and a magenta stripe with a purple star crossing from the back top left to the bottom right. She was not entirely sure what it meant, but it still felt absolutely right. Strong Bow and Blue Turquoise nearly tripped over one another to rush out of the house. They looked up to find their daughter grinning ecstatically, posing proudly at the top of her training castle and flashing them her new cutie mark.

“Guess what just happened to me!”

End

Author's Note:

There will be a follow up in my blog if you are interested.

Thank you to all who have followed and read to the end.

Comments ( 6 )

i always am sad at the end of such amazing story telling, due to it being the end an all

Amazing story with an amazing ending!
And of course, we know little Tempest will grow up to be a fantastic captain of the guard.

10905866
Thank you for reading.
10905932
Thank you for reading and don't worry, we'll see Tempest Fury again.

The mighty and majestic Ebony has found your story both thrilling and well written and therefore we shall honor it with our thanks for the entertainment. -stomping hoofs in applause- well done, Ebony, in all his majestic glory, shall eagerly await the story of one Tempest Fury, finding her endearing and adorable, and foresee many great things ahead of her

10906671
Thank you for reading, Ebony. If you are looking for more Tempest Fury I suggest reading Gods and Monsters.

10906762
-Tapping my hoof to my chin in consideration before raising it in a dramatic pose- Very well you have convinced the Mighty and Majestic Ebony and we shall read the recommended story additionally we offer our appreciation, you may feel a sense of awe we assure this is normal just breath and bask it shall be alright, now off to read!!

Login or register to comment