• Published 20th Dec 2011
  • 5,634 Views, 170 Comments

A Heart of Stone - BorgiaBrony



One summer morning, young Prnicess Celestia meets a draconequus named Discord...

  • ...
7
 170
 5,634

Epilogue: "Will You Miss Me Celestia? I'll Miss You."

A Heart of Stone
Epilogue

He woke up in the present, still on the cliffside. The air around him was thick with the darkness of the night sky, despite it being fairly late in the morning. He heard a dim murmur coming from the city below him. He peered over the edge of the cliff to see what was going on. All throughout Canterlot, perhaps throughout all of Equestria, ponies gathered together, huddling close for comfort. Each and everypony was holding a single candle in hoof. The sheer number of them lit the streets of Canterlot in the darkness: Equestrians were grieving for their princess.

As soon as he saw the funeral procession below for what it was, he recoiled slowly. He turned his gaze back to the darkened mass lying on the cold stony floor. He crawled on all fours over to it, took it into his arms, and wept. He wept for his youthful stupidity. He wept for his ancient mistakes. He wept for his now meaningless future. And above all, he wept for her. He wept and wept until he was out of tears to weep.

Several hours later, when he finally regained something vaguely resembling composure, he gently placed the limp corpse back onto the ground. Her violet eyes were closed now, never again to brighten the day of anypony who saw them. Her mane was now rustled and dull, both far cries from its former flowing glory. Yet her beauty and majesty persisted, even in death. As he continued to hear the chants and cries rising from Canterlot, he knew that he wanted to…needed to give one last tribute to his friend.

He walked over to the edge and snapped his fingers. Almost immediately, the moon set and her sun flew to the center of the sky. He turned his head toward the top half of the mountain. He snapped with his other hand, and the entirety of the peak, right up to a few feet above the cliff he stood upon, burst into a huge cloud of stone dust. When the dust settled, quite the transformation had occurred. Where there had once been moss and twig, there was now hooves and a tail. Where there had once been rock and mud, there was now a mane and a crown. Where there had once been a cold, unforgiving mountain peak, there was now a colossal stone statue of a benevolent, loving alicorn, eternally watching over her subjects.

His attention turned to Celestia’s body. He could not and would not use the chaotic magic that drove them apart to bury her. No. It would be a labor of love. He conjured up a heavy shovel and began digging right there on the cliff. It was hard work. Harder work than anything he had done in a long time. Crutching on magic for so long would do that he guessed. But after a while, he had created a grave of sufficient size. For lack of a better option, he did have to conjure a coffin, but never before had a more beautiful coffin been made. It was made out of solid and was laden with jewels along each of its sides. Along the cover were images of Celestia’s life. From the days in the garden, to their first battle, to banishing her sister, to challenging the changeling queen, they were all there. “A fulfilled life,” Discord thought. What did he ever do with his life? Cement himself as a loathed figure in Equestrian history? Be used as a tyrant’s secret weapon? Alienate one of the only ponies who ever cared for him?

He lowered her into the coffin’s velvety interior before lowering it into the dirt. He slowly refilled the hole as the sun beat down upon his back. After the mound had been filled, the only thing left missing was a tombstone. He walked over to the stone wall of the mountain and clawed at it with his talons, eventually managing to carve out a headstone sized slab. He took the hunk of rock into his arms, and began carving with his claws. When he stuck the thing into the ground at the head of the grave, it read:

Here lies a ruler, a sister, and a dear friend.
Rest In Peace, Princess Celestia of Equestria.
“Will you miss me Celestia? I’ll miss you.”

When he was finally finished, he sat down, stared at the grave, and waited. He waited for a long time, but nothing happened. Every fiber in his being wanted him to stay there until the day he died. The only thing was, he didn’t know if he was so blessed with mortality. And even if he was, all that time in stone interfered with his physical growth and ageing. He was barely a day older than he was when he was first imprisoned. Death, if it was coming for him at all, was still a long way off.

With a heavy heart, he decided that he couldn’t stay in Equestria. Without a purpose, without harmony, without her, life would be unbearable. The books he read growing up had always talked about the mysterious places beyond Equestria. The areas nothing, pony or otherwise, dared to travel. That’s where he would go to spend the remainder of his days.

As he had done before, he clutched the air near to him, and pulled on it, opening a tear in his reality. On the other side of the portal was a swirling conflagration of purple and green light. He hadn’t a clue where it would take him exactly, nor did he care. Maybe there would be nothing else there. Maybe there would be other beings. Maybe they could learn from his mistakes. Maybe they couldn’t. All he knew was that there was nothing left for him in Equestria.

He stepped into the portal one leg at a time. He eased the rest of himself into it slowly, and quickly turned around to get one last look at the grave before he closed it up for good. At first he thought his eyes were deceiving him, but he soon realized that he was sure in what he was seeing. Floating behind the tombstone was a mass of swirling white and yellow light. It stayed in place, stagnant, for several seconds, before reaching down to the ground. The ball of light sluggishly rose up from the ground, recreating a ghostly pony piece by piece. When it was over, Celestia’s spirit stood before him.

He stood there, in the space between spaces, dumfounded. They looked at each other for a long time. Then she smiled a smile which said it all. “Thank you, Dizzy. And don’t you worry about me. I’ll be fine. We’ll see each other again someday.” And as quickly as she had appeared, Celestia’s ghost unfurled her wings and flew off into the now setting sun.

The End

Comments ( 48 )

And there ya have it.

I just want to say thank you to all of you who've read this. This was my first attempt at a fanfic, and by far the most ambitious thing I've ever written. I'm glad to see that so many people like it, and I'll be writing a lot more over the summer. Thank you all so much for being so awesome!:pinkiehappy::twilightsmile::pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

That last line on Celestia's epitaph was very clever. I couldn't help myself but give a little "aww" at it. Very nice touch.

Wow... that was... incredible. I can't seem to find the correct words to describe my appreciation for this so I suppose I'll just have to thank you for creating this beautiful work of literature.
Here's to more successful works in the future!
Cheers~

best fucking story involving discord ever

510866 I have to agree with you, my friend.

No, there's nothing in my eye. I'm just crying because this story is awesome.

A fitting ending to a beautiful fanfiction.

Could't contain my tears. Both tears of sadness and joy. I cannot wait for your summer writing.

I too was surprised of how much continuity this story has to the actual show, characters and personality of the characters used, but also at how well all those characters' backstories, childhood and lifehood affected everything in Equestria.
Not to mention the end of the story.. I don't think I've ever been this invested into a story before. :fluttercry:

Avi

So much bittersweet!

This was a nice fic, but it did need some work. Particularly in the Pacing and Transitions. It does feel king of rushed, like there isn't enough time for the feels you are making me feel sink in. It's like one moment I feel, and the next I'm caught back up on the story. It moves a little too fast. Expanding dialogue or just writing reactions would be helpfull. The worst point of your story is when The new element holders vanquish Discord just as you made me feels. I didn't have any time for it. As far as transitions go, I know you were writing from when he was imprisoned, to when he got out, multiple times, but he just goes too fast right out the gate. I can understand if you wanted him 'outside' less time, but the writing of it needs to be longer, to remind us that he is 'outside'. But you did a really good job on character exposition, and staying in character. You write a very good Discord.

525386
In regard to the scene where Discord gets stoned by the new bearers, I'll admit I thought it was a bit jarring myself when I wrote it, but since I was telling it from his POV, I didn't see another way to do it without surprising the reader along with him. Yeah, some of the transitions between imprisonments were actually really tough to write. There are only so many ways I can talk about how pissed he was getting. And thank you for the compliment of characterization. I was convinced that that would be the hardest part of it, so I spent a LOT of time on it.

it was so beautiful, i shed so many tears with this story :fluttercry::raritycry::fluttershbad:

Very nice.

Oh God.. So many manly tears... :fluttercry: Great story, definitely one of my all time faves.

Finally, I made up my registration to comment this story (and another one, that I have already done), so here we go:
To say oit with easy words: This was a really well written, really feeling-full (it's a word, isn't it) story with a really REALLY oh.. i mean REEAAALY sad Epilogue. That Tombstone was the best thing in this whole story.
But to keep it organized: I love the way you show Discord not as a Villian or a Anti-Hero but as a victim of determination and politics.
Also it's really interesting to see Celestia as the counter-part to Discord (Well, nothing new here) BUT the level of this, that she has nearly the same life as Discord (uknow, philosophical) with all it's determinations and politics since she is a princess and have to stay in her Castle, not only the Castle as a Place for ruling but also as a place of the moral that is used to all ponys of the royal family and even they subjects. That she not allowed to leave that way of Pro-Pony-Thinking, not allowed to see why Discord is doing all this and why her parents had to die. Of course, you never let her be something like prisoned in her life but the fact that she started up with Discord and acepted him, seeing that all that what she's doing in her life is some kind of boring (Discordian Word for Wrong), which gives a HUGE space of possible intepretations, just as this one:
Celestia may not feels as prisoned in her way of thinkin but her whole life with her parents just was for teaching her how important it is to save the way the things are in and to NEVER EVER think of changing it. So afterall, this could be the reason why she doesn't understand Discord: She can't, because she never learn'd escape her own point of view and because she never learnd to do this she was always in the situation to fill her royal expectations always as best as possible just as Discord had to when he's in the hands of his father. (Well, not because of thinking but because of self-preservation)
You see, that open way you wrote this whole think is AWESOME. I love it.

BUT. That Epilogue. Really. Letting the SPIRIT of Chaos and DISHARMONY, what is supposed to fill him with happiness or atleast with some possitive emotions, fall into DEPRESSION and let him go to EXILE due to the death of Celestia and the Void in his heart was WAY to fast IMO. Of course the sudden wipe of his emotions is explainable but with all the thinks that play in this situation, the CHAOS in Discords personallity, that's a really REALLY big deal. Just look at his ability to do nearly everthing and LUNA who is now allone, noone of her family is still alive! Wouldn't it be Celestias wish that Discord stays there, keeping her and her subjects save? Afterall, Luna doens't like the daytime at all! Discord just CAN'T go to exile right now, he CAN'T he CAN'T and the just CAN'T DO THAT. IMO his psyche never would allow him to go. NONONO!
Okayokay. Enought, the story itself was amazing. The Twists where really well placed, logical explainable and always discribed with a deep feeling. Maybe Luna had a too little space of acting, but well, I can live with that :scootangel:

To say it one more time: THIS. WAS. AWESOME. Keep up the great work! :pinkiehappy:
5 Mustaches! :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:
10/10!
Favoriced!
:heart:

Just out of curiosity, was this inspired by this video?
[youtube=Ydbcr2KhD1Q]

This story made me cry as much as My Little Dashie!

763647
Not particularly, no, but the comic that song is based on got me into the whole idea of shipping the two.

806824
That is quite possible the highest compliment an author who writes a sad story can receive. Thank you.:twilightsmile:

815863
I only speak the truth my friend!

Question about Celestia's casket...

"It was made out of solid and was laden with jewels along each of its sides."

What was it made of? Solid gold? Solid ivory? Solid ebony? Solid Snake?

859066
It was made of solid....typo.
I meant to write "solid gold" but I must've gotten distracted or something while doing it.

No words can be said at the moment.:raritycry::applecry::fluttershbad::fluttercry:

861337 there is an edit feature for your fic you know... gold huh, I'd guessed oak

God dammit, I'm crying.

Oh god, the tears won't stop. :raritycry:

Oh God. It has been ages since I last cried this much. Amazing work.

1575996
Close actually. Eris was the Greek goddess of Discord and she is best known for the golden apple which she used to basically start the Trojan War.

I wish the author would come back to Fimfiction so I could praise their brilliance properly.:raritycry:

I hate you in the best possible way for this :applecry:

Oh gosh. I'm not crying but I really really really really really wish I was right now so I wouldn't have to pent up all these damn feelings in my chest because I really want to cry. :fluttercry: This is probably now my favourite sadfic of all time. I hate you and love you for making this fic. Thanks. :raritydespair::raritycry:

:fluttercry: It's liquid pride :fluttershysad:

this was one of the most amazing storys i have ever read ;DD
i cried so much in the last three chapters
now i plan on making a reading series of this story to listen to for youtube :D

*sniff* so many feels! :raritydespair: It was beautifully constructed and I really loved the characters. Thank you for an amazing story!

I dont think i've ever cried so much reading a story. Good job sir, good job

Wow... Just wow :pinkiesad2: (cried rivers)

I ... I don't even know how to express myself :fluttercry: Your story is unique and it made me cry. Thank you for this beautiful ... although sad adventure :pinkiesad2:

Spoiler: And lets hope for these two to meet again someday ... for eternity.

A fine and original take on what could have been the origin and possibly future. Though as I stated in my last comment it all felt way to rushed as if you wanted it to just end. It did pull on my heart strings but the tug was all to hasty and limp that it fell flat.

It was in no way a bad story at all and as stated it was a interesting take on it and quite enjoyable to read. But it's not something that lingers more than a short time after one has read it.

Seems as if you haven't written more than a few chapters on another story after this one and not producing anything anymore.
Just felt like stating what I thought about the story either way and would be interesting to have seen what you would have written by now if continued. Because this was a very well written first one....... :moustache:

Da feels! DA FEELZ! :applecry::fluttercry::raritycry::pinkiesad2:

7686015
Eris wasn't invited to a wedding to a hot girl all the gods admired because Zeus said she'd cause 'too much trouble' because she was chaos. Angered by this, Eris forged one of her golden apples and embedded the words 'for the fairest one' on it and threw the apple into a table in the wedding. The gods Hera, Athena and Aphrodite each wanted it but couldn't decided who. So they got this good law guy named Paris to decide, each goddesses giving him something in return if he chose them (the apple had chaos energies causing discord, so that's why it was a bit extreme). Hera offered him a Kingdom over Asia and europe; Paris declined. Athena offered him godlike knowledge and wisdom; Paris declined. Aphrodite offered him the most beautiful woman in the world, someone named 'Helen', the well known princess of Troy. Paris accepted, however Helen was married to Agamemnon already, so this caused problems which lead to Helen's husband siding with the Greeks to sack Troy. So yeah, that's how an apple caused the Trihan war, appropriately named the Apple of Discord.

I love it! :raritycry:

Here lies a ruler, a sister, and a dear friend. Rest In Peace, Princess Celestia of Equestria. “Will you miss me Celestia? I’ll miss you.”

:raritycry::raritycry::raritycry: beautiful but so sad...

Login or register to comment