• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 3,743 Views, 1,279 Comments

The Princess's Bit - Mitch H



Adventure is nothing but other ponies having a terrible time somewhere picturesque. But you take what you can get, when you take the Princess's bit.

  • ...
5
 1,279
 3,743

PreviousChapters Next
Performance Review

Later that night, on an airship grounded in the airfield north of the city, a hippogriff silently waited near the stern. Eventually, a head of seaweed, wrapped around wooden wrack and stinking of foam and rotting fish, lifted itself over the aft gunwale, sly in the bright moonlight.

Fish Eye brought her ensign's polearm to guard, the sharp spike pointed steady at the sea-thing's most protuberant portion, now raised headlike in the half-light. The thing stopped, and turned its regard in the young mare's direction. Elsewhere on the ship, the bright lights intended for the day-ponies had been extinguished, and the darkness rumbled with batponies active into the dark hours, putting away this and that in the quarters, preparing the storage holds for the cartloads due from the warehouses in the morning from the dayfolk.

Here, it was quiet, and still. It was, no doubt, what had drawn the thing of seaweed and shadows.

"Daughter of the deep, good night to you," it said with a mother's voice. "You swim leagues and leagues from where your tribes lurk, battered, beaten, and afraid."

"Good evening, Lady Amphitrite," Fish Eye chirped. "Something told me I should wait for you, or something like you, after all the talk last week, and our little scrimmage over the harbor the other day."

"And they chose to send you? Brash griffons, to taunt me so, and send a seapony to make their apologies. What foolish geas did they trap you with, for them to make you their beast of burden?"

"I don't think any griffon sent me. I mean, I work with some of ‘em, and some of them are nice, but I work for the ensign, the master sergeant, and the major, in that order, or so the master sergeant says."

"The master sergeant? Oh, young Gilda de Griffonstone. She drowned, you know. Almost one of mine, but a pony took her back in her time, before her time. And the winds whine so when I take a child of stone."

"Huh. You know, I forgot the master sergeant was a griffon? You're right, I guess a griffon sent me," Fish Eye said, her head tilted to the side, and thinking about what had brought her there, standing on a darkened ship's deck, threatening a goddess with a sharp stick.

Then the thing of foam and sea and shadows began laughing. Loudly.

Fish Eye looked around, wondering where her batpony fellow-troopers were. The two of them were making a great deal of noise.

"Oh, no need to wonder, my little priestess. We stand in the space between spaces, the moment between moments. I have been summoned, and you are, tonight, my chalice. Let us talk, you and I, and while we do, no equine voice will drown us, this I promise, this I swear. By the tide and the moon, by the shore and the sun."

Fish Eye nodded, and brought her ensign's spontoon to port, saluting the sea goddess.

"So I witness," the hippogriff mare said out of some instinct she didn't even try to understand.

"Ah, this is why I love the seaponies. Even miles from sea, you remember the rhythms of the wave. Why are you so far from the sea, child?"

"Why are you here with me, Lady A?"

"A! Are we already at such close terms, that you give me such a light name, little fry?"

"Well, I could call you Lady Amphi, but it seems a bit on the nose. And your full name is such a tongue twister!"

And being so serious was giving me a cramp.

The darkness laughed, and the scent of salt and rot made Fish Eye want to sneeze.

"Call me Auntie A, then, if you must. I won't be the only dread thing with nieces in this mess, will I? To business, little niece, to business. Somegriff has blotted my register, has she not, has she not?"

"The registry of the deep, of course!" chirped Fish Eye. "Only thing the toms could talk about, in between the training sessions. I mean, I only caught some of it while we were all waiting for our turn at the roc, and the griffish platoons were around, but twitter-twitter-twitter, like a flock of robins gossiping in a tree!"

"So glad to be the subject of rumor-mongering among the damnable get of the wild winds. There was a reason I gave your people the rule of my waves, little fry, and it wasn't because I loved your amphibious nature."

"Ha! I just got that! Amphibious!" laughed Fish Eye. "Is that where we got the word?"

She wouldn't have thought that a thing without eyes could glare, but the goddess of shadows and sea proved her wrong, there in the darkened corner of a place that was both the squadron's ship, and nowhere at all.

"Exactly," the goddess continued. "They have to follow rules, the griffons and ponies who trespass upon my waves. And yes, before you rules-lawyer at me, little priestess, the winds above the waves as well. I've had millennia to get used to the wiles and cheats of the trickster winds. The registry. This ship has been renamed! Why should I not mark it with the death of wood and canvas, linen and hemp? Why should I not curse this two-faced barque with the doom of all turncoats and liars and frauds?"

"Well, your worship, the prevailing theory is that there are exceptions to the renaming thing. Caveats and suchlike. I'm no scholar-"

"Of that, every wind, mountain, and backwater bay has heard, or will in their day, as your shadow touches upon them, my little fry."

"So nice to be famous! If only ponies and griffons knew me like you know me, Auntie A! But like I said, I'm no scholar, but the ones who are tell me that there are three exceptions."

"The keel, the reconstruction, and the battle capture."

"And I didn't really understand the keel business - if it's a new ship, why is it an exception at all? Why a new keel?"

"Because people will reuse their damnable names for their fool ships. Bad enough that they try to hide an evil crew with false names, but they stretch true names across new hulls! But I was lured into making allowances, and this is the one for transfer of names. The breakers must break the old ship, or I must be able to find her bones on the floor of one of my seas, or else the false-flagged bit of land on my sea will join the bones of the rest below my seas."

"Right, right! The second is the reconstruction, so changed that it is no longer the same ship!"

"Theseus was a lying cur, and the fact that his bones lay ash beneath the foundations of his town is enraging. I will never love the dogs of Perroneus, and their cunning, divine bitch-goddess."

"So you can rename a completely rebuilt ship, or re-launch it under the same name."

"Yes, damn Athena to Tartarus. But this barque of frailty is not that. Not so greatly changed as to be covered by that exception to my rule, my registry."

"And nogriff was trying to claim that! They have too much respect for you, Auntie A! Which leaves-"

"The capture, yes. And there is the point upon which the get of the winds would cheat me. What theft can compare to the price of battle upon the open sea? It was sly cheats like this that made me give that swaggering bastard Grosvenor into your people's talons, little fry. The arrogance of the imperial west wind! Who thought to call itself emperor of all my seas. I drowned that braggart's precious son of destiny, didn't I?"

"I don't know about any of that, Auntie. I'm sure he was a bad tom, Gilroy wanted to name the ship Drowned Grosvenor, but I didn't understand what it meant, just that they were competing for the most offensive and silly names they could get on paper!"

"Ha! Your people's greatest victory, and you don't remember it?"

"Well, as you say, Auntie, I'm not a clever fish."

"You surely are not, little fish. And I suppose that pain is a better reminder than victory. A people remembers the agonies of that which they barely survived, better than the transient successes that they pass through, from victory to victory. The Field of Crows, the Brown Church by the Sea… and I see you don't know either of those, either. For the nations you broke, they were everything! For your people, they were a long Tuesday, or a busy weekend.

"Well, little fish, the hippogriffs have had their soul-defining, crushing defeat, haven't they? They will remember the shadows of their conquerors for a thousand years, as they cower within my bosom. Well, let them hide, and remember that they are my little fishes, my little fries - and cease to be so proud of their wings and their faithless flirtations with the fickle winds."

Fish Eye listened patiently to the aunt of sea and shadows as she ranted about Fish's absent relatives and her relatives' neighbors. Fish was too young to remember much of Aris and the hippogriffs. Before her mother had taken the family to Equestria and the diplomatic mission, before the great retreat that slammed the doors, emptied out the houses. The things that her terrible auntie of wrack and ruin told her, there in that darkness between the ticks of the sea-clock, condensed the news of an entire decade of worry, and confusion, and fading hope, into one long terrible litany of defeat and failure.

Finally, the goddess Amphitrite's long-winded sea-foam rant wound down, like the turning of the tides.

"And you've gotten me monologuing, little fish. Clever fish! Enough of your feckless, foolish race and their travails. We were talking of falseness, and ugly plays to fool old goddesses."

"Oh, good, I had hoped you'd take the demonstration in the spirit it was intended, Auntie A! Were you entertained? Did we do well? We tried our best to make it an even fight!"

"It wasn't a fight at all! It was a spectacle, a great deal of flash and bugger-all! No bodies falling into my hungry waters, no feeding of the sharks! Just your damnable ponies firing off their silly pop-gonnes and blowing smoke in my face!"

"But there was blood! The major showed it to the crowd, I saw it glitter in the sunlight. The infirmary has a half-dozen casualties recovering over there, under the poop deck. Heh, ‘poop'."

The goddess of sea-wrack's featureless black head turned in the direction Fish had indicated, and rumbled, discontent.

"Feh. All that sulfur and chemical stink had covered the scent. True blooded?"

"We had some ponies holystoning the decks this afternoon where the blood stained our fresh new finish! It isn't done, you can probably find a few blotches here and there."

"Bah, I tell you, bah. It's a cheat. I'll remember being cheated, little fish."

"Don't think of it as gains and losses, or thefts and… losses I guess. Think of it as a performance Auntie A! We trained our hearts out, and gave you the best show we could manage. And it will be a warship, really! We're going off east to do something violent to the turul, whoever they are."

"Ha! Pestering the darlings of the East Wind? I could see that proud bastard taken down a peg or two. Hrm."

"What can we do to calm your waters, Auntie Amphitrite? We want you to be happy!"

The shadows spread, rising up over the still moon-swept decks of the Princess's Bit.

"An offer? A promise? I heard your Major Shield talk about the value of promises, and of gold. You fools have taken your fool's gold from your fool princess, who strides the world's stage in the cloak of a god! Who lives upon the pap of the heavens and calls herself nothing more than royal heir, as if we, the true gods of the firmament, do not see her for what she is! You heard all that, that cynical, lying speech, and you dare to talk to me about promises?"

"Yes! And I believed the Major! I think she means well, and we mean to do well! What can I do to make you happier, Auntie Amphitrite?"

The darkness shrunk in on itself, and took the form of a shadowy hippogriff.

"Fine. Build me a shrine, and bless it with a trained priest. You can use that colt who thinks he's hiding his nature from the day, we of the darkness know him well enough. Tell your batpony mistress I want to borrow the Spear-Stallion, her Pumpernickel for the blessing, she'll know what I mean. And, when it's ready, a carved figurehead upon the bow, in my likeness."

"Uh, you mean a blob of shadows with bits of sticks and seaweed sticking out of it?"

"No, you daft niece, look in the mirror, and use that."

Fish Eye felt the shadow-goddess staring eyelessly at her.

"On second thought, use your sister as the model instead."

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help to Shrink Laureate, and for brainstorming & general kibitzing to Damaged, totallynotabrony, Walker of Voids, and the general Company.

(And thanks to Georg for letting me use Pumpernickel as a name to conjure with in batpony prophecy & the hierarchy of dreams.)

PreviousChapters Next