• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 3,739 Views, 1,279 Comments

The Princess's Bit - Mitch H



Adventure is nothing but other ponies having a terrible time somewhere picturesque. But you take what you can get, when you take the Princess's bit.

  • ...
5
 1,279
 3,739

PreviousChapters Next
The Unforgiving Minute

Ping's eyes lingered on the hateful figures of his personal nightmares, sitting on the fitted stonework of the garrison courtyard, surrounded by their considerable baggage, utterly uncloaked by semblance or dream-magic. Every scar of age, every runnel carved into their hides by dream-magic gone wrong, dark magic over-indulged in, every compromise with morality or ethics or basic oneiromantic hygiene…

Disgusting.

Luckily, Ping was at the back of the small column, and it was the work of an instant to disappear from view, slipping into the shadows behind the doors, the heavy doors which the rest of the party had already passed through, to be brought up short by the obstruction of the two matrons and their clutter blocking traffic into the squadron's portion of the garrison complex. He stepped sideways, and flitted upwards to find a nook beside the decorative gargoyles along the wall outside, just below the patrol parapets. He dove into the implied space between a stone griffon, beak writhing with petrified horror, and a rock pony, her head eternally captured, rearing in disgust.

A mental gesture like a reflex, honed by a lifetime of need for rapid descent through the stages of unconsciousness, fired the stallion into the under-stuff like a rocket fired into a clear sky, or a corps-mare's needle, injecting him into the main vein of the dreaming world.

A quick spin in the gloaming, some few thestral souls gleaming like beacons in the early night hours, so few asleep among the mere day-souled sleepers. Those whose duties called for them to be awake later in the night, or through the whole of the daylight hours…

While Ping raced his anxieties, faster than they could catch him, and ordered his responses faster than he could think them, his mind on another level unpacked the impulse that had caused him to flee and hide. The impulse that had made his decision for him, even before Ping himself had consciously registered that there had been a decision to be made.

That usually meant that his subconscious mind had been playing with this problem for a very long time, and he'd just not let himself consciously register the moral calculations being performed under cover of his own personal ever-night.

First, the matrons had refused to be sent away, that was obvious, that was the trigger. They were too old in their evil ways, and too set in their personal self-regard; they wouldn't trust him with the exercise of authority in the matters which were to come.

No matter the practicalities and the possibilities.

But that was merely the naked, inciting fact. What was the thought-process that was even now making him pick out the dreaming thestrals available, discarding this one, considering that one but setting it aside as a weak reed, latching onto this one as a definite possible?

It wasn't simply that Ping didn't trust the two matrons, fools as they were. It was that he didn't trust the aunties, either. These two had somehow slipped the bonds of the Concordat, and were free of all restraint. How were the aunties covering for these two, anyways? Were they? The aunties, the Elders, were too detached, too slow-moving. They had pushed all these resources out onto a ledge, a ledge they had no conception of, no understanding of, no feel for. And it was possible they hadn't done their due diligence with these matrons. Or somehow had shuffled them out of the rotation, retiring them early, into the true retirement.

From the look of them, the two matrons maybe should have been properly 'retired' directly into the Plain of Jars. They were that disgusting-looking. It would only take a small push to get these matrons labelled 'corrupted'.

But no, it was vital that these two didn't have any sort of sustained contact with the leaders of Ping's new squadron. It wasn't as if anypony really knew what Gleaming Shield and her terrifying bat-hen were doing, least of all the two of them. Ping was morally certain of that fact.

Whatever it was they thought they were planning, the doors they were opening led into liminal spaces which housed great, unconstrained powers; one of which great powers Ping himself was pledged in service to, mind, spirit and soul. However queasy and terrified that prospect of servitude left him when he considered the facts lurking underneath the rituals of colony and home, kith and kin.

And those two lunatics down in the courtyard, like two ticking time-bombs.

Whatever was to come, Ping and his neglected thestrals would never reach there if they were all arrested for subversives here, now, in this moment, due to those imbecile matrons doing - whatever it was they thought they were doing. Playing the prophetess? Seeing if they couldn't get hired on as hierophants for the expedition? Ping had no idea, the resources of imbecility and incompetence were infinite - while matter was sadly limited, and magic constrained by emotional possibility & the strengths of the soul, stupidity was without limits, infinite in scope and possibilities.

Infinite possibilities, every one of them idiotic and undesireable.

The matrons were there, in the courtyard, in the open. From their posture, they had to have been there for a while, possibly as long as a day, although Ping rather suspected that Gilda and Gleaming Shield would have cleared the obstruction from their figurative foyer, sooner rather than later. So, fairly recently, but not too much so. A response had to be grinding through the bureaucracy of the squadron, somewhat slowed by Ping's own absence.

In time with Ping's lightning-fast calculation of time and space, he chose two options. That idiot Bob, to play the fool. Ensign Fruits Basket, who was both reliable, and already asleep, cautiously patrolling her platoon's barracks-room spirit traps, looking over her bats who were likewise sleeping on the early night schedule, to preserve their energy for daylight activities as expected by the day ponies.

The matrons would try to buffalo Gleaming Shield, talk her into hiring them on as 'experts' of the mysterious east, as if they knew anything of the continent of Beakland. Or present themselves as the emissaries of ineffable prophecy, which was somewhat more closer kin to the truth.

If Ping wasn't very clever and very good, the two matronly imbeciles would drag the entire thestral contingent into their idiot conspiracy. One which wouldn't fool the major, Gleaming Shield, in the least. Or rather, even if they fast-talked the major with gypsy piffle and cold reading blither, the master sergeant, standing behind her unicorn master, would see instantly through the grift.

The problem was, that if Ping tried to intervene directly, the griffon would spot it as just another, rival grift.

Which it was.

So, still calculating, Ping formed a dream-semblance, and appeared to 'Bob', the imbecile that Major Shield had accidentally gifted a Name of honor and distinction. For no good reason, of course - something to do with the imbecile's former name being too close to one of the major's elders - but it had implanted in the idiot the misguided idea that he was important.

So Ping gave Bob something to be important about. Wearing the cloak of the Mother, Ping appeared to the stallion Bob, and told him that there were fakirs, frauds, pretenders, heretics. He showed him a glimpse of the two matrons in the courtyard, and whispered that they were possessed of dream-monsters, warped in soul and spirit.

It was close enough to true that the idiot bearing testimony would cloud the matter, and make the matrons radioactive - they'd find themselves imprisoned in some spook's black site before you could say 'Nightmare Moon cultist' twice.

While setting that particular trigger, Ping considered why he was doing this, and how he could make sure that the trap only took the matrons, and nopony else. Why was he preserving himself and his fellow thestrals?

Well, for one, he didn't care to be imprisoned and subjected to the tender mercies of the White Witch's confused welter of secret services and counter-intelligence agencies. Despite what he'd said to the matrons, ponies didn't get burned at the stake in these modern, rational days. But they did get jailed indefinitely, subjected to mind magic to 'purge' the corrupting influences, or otherwise warped into 'good ponies'.

Assuming they were too compromised to be safely given into the hooves of the guardians of the Plain of Jars. Which, despite what the aunties and their agents within the Concordat told the White Witch, only contained safe ponies - those twisted by workaday dark magic, and unaligned dream-parasites.

Well, not safe by the definition of ‘won’t feed foals to dark dread monstrous abominations, eat pony flesh, or burn towns and villages in sacrifice to greasy black stone effigies of many-tentacled horrors’. Safe to the guardians of the inner mysteries.

The thestrals kept sub-colonies separate from the main colonies, for the benefit of batponies privy to the inner mysteries, those almost caught and subject to the ‘reforms’ of Celestia's inquisitors. Some few of those actually were too far gone, and were subject to the aunties’ own exorcisms. More than a few were beyond even the thestrals own rituals, and had to be returned to the custody of the guardians of the Plain. Even the successfully reformed could never again be trusted with the care of the dreams of others, and thus the sub-colonies.

Sometimes, though, the corrupted had to be sacrificed directly to the agents of the Concordat, so that they and their co-sponsor could feel that they served some purpose, conveyed some benefit to the balance of power. To prove to everypony that the Night Shift was trustworthy, and not corrupted by Nightmare worship.

As if there was a Night Shift without worship of the Mother of Dreams.

So! It was time to burn another pair of matrons. There wasn't a full inquisitorial team here in the Griffish Isles, for reasons which were obscure to Ping. The presence of the Temple of Hungers should have merited a proper detachment of inquisitors, if Celestia's guard dogs had any sort of wisdom in their approach to their job, riding herd on the unregenerate cultists who mared the ramparts of the dayponies' undefended dreaming minds, and the large if diffused swarm of batponies within the EUP’s pegasus squadrons.

Next - almost simultaneously - was Ensign Fruits Basket, who was from an ancient and valued lineage, and was as ambitious as she was admirable. Major Shield hadn't recognized what she'd offered Basket, but the master sergeant had, Ping suspected, figured it out. In a stroke, they'd made the thestral mare personally loyal to her benefactors. Oh, she was a well-indoctrinated follower of the Old Religion - you didn't get as far as she had in the EUP without being 'reliable' in that way - but her interests were aligned with the Regiment, not the Old Religion. And more importantly, she wasn’t an initiate of the inner mysteries.

And that was fine.

Ping appeared to Fruits Basket wearing his own soul, without adornment.

"Lord Spear-Stallion! Blessings upon your night!" she squeaked in her surprise, stopped dead by Ping's appearance before her, his shadows twitching despite his attempts at self-control.

"Blessings upon your nightly duties, shieldmaiden. How stands the ramparts against the formless dark?"

"Strong as we are many, lord," she said, bowing deeply. Ping had never talked to this one personally. In general, he'd avoided personal contact with other thestrals in the service. Their uncertainty in the light of day, and their obsequiousness in the dreamtime had made him prefer the company of day-ponies in the day, and nopony at all in the dead of night. "What has caused you to honor me with your presence, lord? Some dread thing for which you require an aegis to stand some half-second while you conjure its demolition upon your many-bladed spear?"

"Nay, lady. The line of dream-entrenchment stakes, of sudes are intact, the sudes stand tonight sentry for us all. There is a worse matter, which requires your personal honor to stand shield against our own follies."

"I- I have no idea what that means, lord. What worse matter…?"

"Treachery, betrayal, and subversion, lady shieldmaiden. Mares of great age and honor, betraying their oaths and their fellow-ponies, for ego, for self-satisfaction, for the corruption which their too-long stays outside of the sudes has left them half-souled, evil-spirited, or worse, corrupted entire."

The dreaming mare blinked, befuddled. "I thought those were myth, by the daywalkers who hunt us for any sign of disloyalty to the peytral. That it didn't ever happen."

Was that how she justified her oaths to the EUP, how she reconciled them with the rituals of the colonies?

"No, my lady. It is a very real thing. To lay eyes upon the naked flesh of matrons such as these, is to see their souls laid bare. It is never a pretty sight, even among the unfallen."

"You're saying they're here? Now?"

"Even now, at our gates. Petitioning for access to our sanctum. Plotting to promise our good major, certain secret magics, secret prophecies, imaginary wisdoms. All to lead astray the daywalking and the unprepared."

"Blasphemy!" she gasped.

And it was, of a sort. To those who were never accepted into the inner mysteries. Which most thestrals in service weren't.

And so, Ping bent his head down to the slight figure in the liminal gloaming, urgently speaking those things which must be done, to salvage the project of the Crystal Guard.


Giles led his griffons off to the side, away from the brewing confrontation just awaiting some sort of response from the ponies who ran his regiment. He knew trouble when he saw it, darkening the flagstones like pony-shaped holes in the waking world.

The foolish, overlarge hippogriff seemed likely to go confront the horrors, her give-a-shit no doubt overloaded by days of distraction and provocation. Giles got a good grip on the mare's wing, and dragged her out of the line of fire and the inevitable disaster.

Neither of the posted guards in front of the great doors moved a muscle, and Giles deduced by this stillness that somepony had already run for the authorities to intervene. If the official guard detail were holding their position so, far be it from juniorest of junior non-commissioned-not-really-any-sort-of-officer Lance Corporal Giles to put himself forward into the jaws of the beast.

Were these ponies fanged?

After an interminable minute, which may have taken up a single actual minute, or fifteen or twenty actual, ticking minutes, authority finally showed its pony face, as Captain Bell stuck her heavy, meaty mattock-head out of the main doors, staring at the black, scarred, bat-winged things sitting patiently between two small piles of - brightly pastel pony luggage?

It was incongruous, and Giles had no idea what to make of it.

"Hey there! You two! Can we help y'all with something? Guard detail said you wouldn't talk to anypony without th' rank to speak for th' regiment."

One of the horrors opened her apparently thestral eyes, and gazed up the stairs-and-ramp at the big pegasus mare.

"Be you Twilight Sparkle, of the Sixth Guards Regiment?" the horror ground out like every whispering, judging voice that had ever haunted Giles' troubled sleep.

"Cain't say that I am, ma'am. Nor can I say who the dickens that might be, neither. You sure you have the right city? Guard House is in Canterlot."

"We have the right city, Captain- Captain, what is your name, please?"

"You ain't said who you is, either, mare. I think yer a mare. Are you a mare?"

"They call me Witching Hour. This is my companion Wolf Time. We are here to see the lady and mistress of this company. You are clearly no such thing, so we would exchange words with your mistress. Bring her here, now."

"Well, then, Miss Hour. Since you all were good enough to give me yours, my name's Bell. Captain Big Bell. And I don't know any Twilight Sparkle. Name sounds vaguely familiar, but whoever it is, ain't the colonel of this regiment, on account of we ain't got one yet."

"She means me, Captain Bell, thank you," said the voice of Giles' commander, wafting over the shoulder of the thick-accented captain standing in the doorway. Said captain stood to the side, and let Major Shield pass by, with the master sergeant in tow. "Who are you, that you have the name of a dead filly in your mouth?"

"Well now… Major. It is, I am morally positive, a fact that the filly who was once known as Twilight Sparkle is very much not dead, not in the Elysian Fields, not in the Empyrean. Her dreams are known to us, although your face I must admit is the first in my waking seeing."

A chill went up Giles' back, as he watched the confrontation building.

Or maybe it was that batpony who blazed over the major's horn and hat, arching athletically as he burst out of the shadows of the unbarred doorway, rocketing towards the two unearthly mares sitting alertly in the middle of the courtyard.

Then the half-armored batpony impacted the two horrors, and scattered them and their luggage like ten-pins, knocking one aside, and spitting the other with his spear. A great screech arose from the impaled hades-mare, the weapon waving around like a lost boar-spear jutting out of a very living swine, struck but not fatally so.

"Charge!" bellowed Giles, his inaction broken by the prospect of violence in perilous proximity to his commanding officer. His griffons, startled by his sudden order, missed a step, only following him after a body's length had been consumed by his sudden darting advance.

Giles hit the unwounded mare with a full-body tackle, pinning her to the blood-sprayed flagstones, his weight sufficient to bear down on the smaller, terrifying monster. Her fangs scrabbled at his gorget, which was barely wide enough to spare his throat from her slashing sharp teeth. Mildly terrified, he raised a taloned fist and bashed her head in, once, twice, and - he didn't have to do it a third time, her demon-eyes gone crosseyed and vague. She collapsed into a heap, with his superior weight pressing her into the stones.

Giles looked up, to see what had happened to his lance. Two toms and a hen were holding down the other mare - Wolf Time? - and keeping her from opening up her wound deeper around the service spear driven into her side. The hippogriff doctor was moving forward with medical supplies in her talons, and off to the right, two more toms were holding down the mad batpony who had attacked someone in the presence of their superior officers. The madpony, his velocity spent, was lying peaceably beneath the pile of griffon flesh, his eyes on the insensate lump of pony flesh crushed beneath Giles' own bulk.

"Well, that was certainly a thing," observed Master Sergeant Gilda.

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help to Shrink Laureate, and for brainstorming & general kibitzing to Damaged and the general Company.

PreviousChapters Next