• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 3,742 Views, 1,279 Comments

The Princess's Bit - Mitch H



Adventure is nothing but other ponies having a terrible time somewhere picturesque. But you take what you can get, when you take the Princess's bit.

  • ...
5
 1,279
 3,742

PreviousChapters Next
A Thin Line Between Spar And Duel

The Princess's Bit motored over the Straits of Highclaw the next morning, southward currents rushing far below between the red-streaked coral of the Great Farrier Reef to the west, and the murderous lee shore of southern Griffonia to the north and east. Few surface sailors took the straits in the evening hours, and the dawning of Celestia's sun had been a sort of signal-flag for a gathering of three or four surface barques and schooners, who'd dropped anchor to the north of the straits to await the Running of the Claw.

Fish Eye looked over the railing on the starboard gunwale, watching the tiny wooden craft boil with activity as their ponies or griffons scrambled up and down their masts, rolling out their sails and sheets and so forth.

One of the sailors had told Fish about the Running of the Claw yesterday, and she wanted to see it for herself.

The first runner of the morning had spread her sails wide, and caught the early, savage winds dancing around the sharp blooded coral of the Reef and its outriggers, little spires of living stone rising up out of the waters below, pointing bonily towards the sky and the Bit. The treacherous predawn breezes tossed that little schooner around like a waterdancer in a pond, but generally and sweetly drove her north-eastwards, towards the shattered granite teeth of the opposite shore, where, so the sailor had told Fish, the underwater rocks were thick with shipwreck, detritus, and the innumerable bones of those foolish sailors who'd judged the winds of the strait wrongly.

Such would be the fate of the impatient schooner's ship's master and her crew, if she'd set out too early and too soon.

But soon! Soon! The counter-winds were coming. They always came, fitfully and slowly, but inevitably, as the east-facing slopes of the Griffonian highlands warmed under the heavy rays of the morning sun. Especially now, in the sunny days of June.

And though Fish Eye couldn't feel them up here, two thousand feet above the troubled waves below, the little schooner's full reef of sail caught those counter-winds, and shuddered, jinked - and turned!

The bravura two-master's sails belled as she caught the upland westerlies, and pulling from both quarrelling winds via the mundane magic of her intricate rigging, rocketed down the middle of the strait, until Fish Eye lost sight of it as it passed below the bulk of the Bit's own gondola.

In the distance, the heavier and less nimble three-masted barques were getting under weigh, their anchors stowed and their less-extensive sail rigs stretching for that subtle mix of dying ocean breezes and the upland westerlies that would keep them from joining their bones with their sisters in eternity.

Fish Eye turned away from the spectacle of the sunny world, and only thought of it after the drama was over, that she should have gotten her camera. When did she stop trying to capture all of the wonders that went on around her, in negatives, or developed stock?

Since the last time she'd had access to a developing lab, if she was being honest with herself. Since before being arrested for espionage.

Fish Eye looked over at her platoon's sparring session, shifting her ensign's spontoon to her other shoulder, cupping it in her wing. The batponies were now engaging with two lances of Charlie Troop, getting some hoofwork in with flightless opponents. The corporal was dancing with that goat, what's his name, Bob something or other? No, that was the black sheep of the thestral troop, the major's new orderly...

The goat wasn't very good with a spear, to be honest. None of the ponies and creatures of Charlie Troop were. Speardancing was a flighted person's sport, hooves or claws, talons or frogs, the extra pair of wings and three-dimensional mobility made all the difference.

Corporal Vine Staff spun his spear-shaft in a counter-clockwise spiral, pulling the goat's own shaft from the grey creature's hooves.

Or not? Goats apparently had extra-sticky hooves, or something, because the goat stumbled forward with the spear instead of losing his grip. Until the colt - billy? Buck? - stopped dead, whatever goatish magic that had kept him from losing his weapon, locked him down to the planking under his other hooves.

Not that it helped the goat - while he was sticking to everything he touched, Vine Staff had reversed his shaft and clouted him across the side of his neck, right below the goat's right horn.

The goat went down like a sack of potatoes, and Fish's ensign ran over to stop the fight. All the other spars dotting the wide length of the main deck likewise stopped, as everypony looked to see if Vine Staff had broken a trooper.

Fish shoved her ensign's spontoon into the sheath laying across her back, and went over to help move the stunned goat on back to the infirmary to get looked over by her jerk of a sister.


"This is a bit much for training," Hawk Eye groused, holding open the goat's eye and shining a light into his weird squared-off pupil. "Depths take it, how am I to know if he's concussed with these preposterous eyes? Billy-Bob! Can you see how many talons I'm holding up?"

Fish Eye looked on sympathetically, as the goat tried twice to get out the right number. Goats were many things, but they were terrible stutterers.

"Take it as read, Sis," Fish intervened, after the fourth attempt by the billy-goat to get out 'three'. "Check his skull, back behind the jawline on the right."

"I know how to evaluate a patient, Fish. Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs."

"Eww. And I don't really remember grandma. Either of them."

"Yeah, well, it's been a while. Wherever they all are."

"Auntie A says they're safe as houses, under the sea."

"That's just guesswork, there's no guarantee- wait, Auntie who?"

"Auntie Amphitrite. When I talked to her a couple days ago. Didn't I tell you?"

"Fish Eye, this is the first time we've talked since… did you say something to me back during that thing with the crazy batponies?"

"Which thing with the crazy batponies? Thestrals are always kind of unreasonable."

"The one with all the casualties! In the courtyard of that garrison!"

"Oh, yeah, that thing. Maybe? I thought I'd talked to you since then. Huh. You know, I was supposed to ask you something, tip of my tongue…"

"Fish! Focus! Which aunt have you been talking to? Where did you find a relative that isn't us? Wait. Amphitrite? You- you don't mean-"

"Oh, that's easy," Fish said over her sister's slightly pole-axed stuttering. "Auntie Amphitrite! Every hippogriff's favorite auntie! Oh, right. She wanted her figurehead modeled on your profile. She was sort of insulting about it, if you really think about it-"

"FISH!"

"Whaaat?"

"You met the seafoam goddess?"

"Yes!"

"And she didn't kill you on the spot for being you?"

"Ruuude!"

"Following seas preserve us. You met the Auntie and she didn't eat your bones. There is grace in the sea."

"Right! Now I'm her priestess. Or an acolyte? Maybe a deaconess. I'm not sure, I don't remember all the rules and regulations. But I'm maintaining a shrine for the ship! And she wants us to carve a figurehead, to represent her. I guess she's claimed the ship as her bounty for not smashing us all onto the rocks below and drowning her in her merciless waves?"

"A figurehead. Sure. What was that about-"

"Yeah! We're gonna use you as the model. She wanted a hippogriff figurehead. I don't know why!"

"Right now?" Hawk Eye looked down, and remembered that she had a patient in front of her.

He was sitting on the examination table, and looking back and forth between them like he was wishing he had a bag of popcorn.

"You, Billy-Bob. You seem fine. Don't go to sleep for another eight hours, and check in every hour with your lance corporal, so you don't pass out and die from some hematoma I'm not finding right now."

"I aaaam a lance corp'r'l, Caaaptaain!"

"Then order one of your file closers to keep an eye on you! Go on, get out of here!"

The goat got.

And then the lectures started.


Fish Eye finally escaped her sister's tirade, a boiling diatribe which apparently had been building up pressure for weeks. She didn't think that she'd been that remiss in avoiding her sister, but Hawk was the older sister, Fish supposed she knew best.

When Fish got out onto the main deck, she realized what that change in sound she'd heard about five minutes ago had meant.

The sparring session had come to a screeching halt.

In its place, were dozens of onlookers surrounding two figures pointing spearheads at each other, their blades unsafed and deadly-naked.

As Fish Eye took in the scene, the tableau broke.

And the purple unicorn leaped high over her ensign's head, her sharp-edged spear lancing downward at the batpony's unhelmeted head.

Fish's ensign blurred sideways, her spear trailing and striking sparks from the thrusting shaft of her opponent as she dropped from her leap.

Why is Fruits Basket fighting the major?

The rapid dark blur bounced off of the back of an onlooker, and Fruits Basket was suddenly halfway to the ship's balloon overhead, her webbed wings stretched wide, and her spear shaft spinning into position.

Major Shield's own spear was spinning in defense, as she crouched, waiting to take the ensign's charge.

Instead, the batpony shot towards Fish Eye, trying to get behind the unicorn's rear. The two of them spun in a spiral dance, naked blades glinting and blurring like steel ribbons twisting in the air in between their strikes.

Then they both leaped, and separated, each flying towards one end of the long main deck.

Why does the major have wings? When did she get wings? Oooh… they're pretty.

But the butterfly-winged unicorn wasn't nimble or skillful in the air, and when they came back together in a clash of rapid strikes, a blow tore through one of her gossamer wings, leaving her to tumble gracelessly to the deck below.

Fish wasn't certain, but it looked like the unicorn's own spear had caused that accident.

By the time Fish's confused ensign had furled her wings and took one apprehensive step towards the crumpled major, their superior was back on her hooves, not much more worse for wear.

"Come on, then, let's try that again!" yelled Gleaming Shield.

"Major, that was a proper strike."

"I know! Two out of three, come on, come at me!"

Fruits Basket skree'd in irritation, spun her spear, and charged.

The unicorn didn't try for an aerial attack again, and the two of them were soon breathing like billows, the deck below them slick with sweat and slippery. They struck at each other again and again, their science breaking down with exhaustion and exertion, until -

The major's spearhead struck the ensign's spear-shaft well behind the metalled langets, and the sharp thunderforged steel cut right through the haft, leaving the ensign's own spearhead to go flying off on a wobbling tangent until it was lost overboard somewhere far below.

The accident left the ensign's suddenly lighter spear-shaft unopposed and continuing on its initial arc.

Which happened to terminate squarely upon the major's forehead, right under her horn.

For the second time that day, somepony dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Fruits Basket winced in sudden self-awareness, clearly having just realized that she'd knocked her superior officer in the head.

Fish Eye looked over the poleaxed purple unicorn, and smirked.

"I'd say that was two out of three, ensign ma'am? Here, I'll take the major back to the infirmary. Also, here's your spontoon. If you're going to fight like you're using a spontoon, you really ought to use it. Longer langets, you know?"

By the time the master-sergeant burst into the infirmary, the two hippogriff sisters had come to the obvious conclusion that the major was definitely concussed.

The sergeantly lecture that came after that was positively epic.

Fish Eye took notes. She'd have to up her game if she was going to keep her own officer under better control. Giving superior officers concussions was definitely not good ton.

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help to Shrink Laureate, and for brainstorming & general kibitzing to the general Company.

PreviousChapters Next