• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 3,743 Views, 1,279 Comments

The Princess's Bit - Mitch H



Adventure is nothing but other ponies having a terrible time somewhere picturesque. But you take what you can get, when you take the Princess's bit.

  • ...
5
 1,279
 3,743

PreviousChapters Next
Crystal Heart On Her Sleeve

Fish Eye worked on her ensign's uniforms, trying to watch what she was doing with one eye, while keeping the other eye on the sleeping ensign herself. She had found that watching another person sleep was remarkably restful, as if she was the one doing the sleeping, and deriving the relaxation and repose direct from the source. But trying to look at two things at the same time gave Fish a bit of a headache, and she wished she had independently directed eyes like those underseas creatures she remembered vaguely from her foalhood.

The fact that Fruits Basket was not an easy sleeper, and intermittently tossed and turned, didn't help any. The batpony was as active in sleep as she was in the waking hours, or in command, and the constant motion kept drawing the hippogriff's eyes away from her work.

Command had come easily to the batpony mare, as if she'd been born to lead a platoon of hard-squinting troopers in drill and on the march. Fish Eye had scrambled to keep up with her new officer, being so very, very new to military discipline, and to the march as batponies practiced it. It was all Fish could do, to merely not be underhoof. Never mind keeping up.

Ensign Basket had yet to send a harsh word Fish's way, although she'd rained curses on her corporals and her troopers at first. Fish had felt that this had been excessive, but remembering the master sergeant's words on the subject of contradicting your officer in public, had held her peace.

The ensign had nodded when Fish Eye afterwards had dropped a few words on the subject of noblesse oblige and how Canterlot would-be nobles competed in their passive-aggressiveness towards their servants. Well, a few words, of course, disguised among a great many others on the subject of Fish's former herdmates back at Furrow, many of whom seemed to be less individual ponies, and more the banner-carrying colour-guard of their own little troops of maids, valets, hoofstallions and grooms. All of whom were bullied into submission by their masters with innocent-eyed trills of perfect politeness and iron-eyed glares of command and control.

The next morning, the ensign had removed all profanity and insult from her instructions to the platoon and the NCOs, and Fish Eye had noted the slight surprise and growing approval in the expressions of both. The platoon wanted the best for their new ensign, after all, and were willing to give Fruits Basket the space to become the officer they all knew she could be.

Ensign Basket was cool that way. Hay, she was cool any way you looked at her. Fish Eye knew she had to be careful about that - she'd suffered through numerous schoolfilly crushes at Furrow, and it had hurt every time they'd come to their inevitable, embarrassing ends.

But the little bat pony was so intense, and commanding, and handsome in her glittering new fatigues!

Fish Eye meditated upon the wonders of pony technology as she whistled as she worked over those very glittering fatigues with the heart-shaped unit patch on the sleeves. Didn't want to iron over the patches! Even if you were whistling, they were still delicate and you could tear them off their thread.

The magic iron Fish Eye was using was hardly a revolutionary piece of modern technology, but the method for tuning it was something else. She didn't quite have the talent that your average pony possessed for impromptu musical accompaniment, but then, neither did the average pony in her admittedly limited experience.

Few rugby players could carry a tune better than they could a ball, and batpony troopers were no better. You'd think that night-dwelling nocturnal ponies with preternatural hearing and the ability to tune their voices through an aural spectrum vastly deeper and wider than Fish's own, limited range would be marvellous whistlers and singers, but she supposed that the EUP recruited for virtues other than those that contributed to really well-harmonized barbershop quartets.

She shook out the ensign's fatigue trousers, and folded them before laying them down to join their fellow fatigue blouse. The thaumoactive weave faded as she let go of the garment, the bright streaks of the active threads releasing their load of magic into the mundane fabric surrounding them, subsiding into that shimmering harmonious whole which was the uniforms in repose.

In five minutes, they'd be inert piles of clean clothes, as the manual claimed. Well, once you waded through the fruity, romantic, hyperbolic wording and teased out the substance of the use and care precepts hidden deep, deep underneath. Whoever had written it was clearly misplaced, and should have been a writer of bodice-rippers. If only the uniforms were as impenetrable as the prose of the manuals, never would blade touch the flesh of their wearers!

But anyways, the whistling wasn't an affectation, it was ritually vital to the care of the fabric. You needed to do it, if you didn't want to reduce the efficiency of the weave, or worse, mangle it entirely.

As a result, many of the troopers in the platoon had already ruined their new fatigues, not in training or on the march, but in failing to clean them properly. Simply tossing them in the machines, or grimly hand-worshi- hand-washing them in a sink was enough to denature the sensitive thaumoweave. Fish Eye had already noted various dead patches on her ensign's troopers' uniforms, and she suspected she'd be asked to do something about it sometime soon.

When the ensign and her corporals noticed the problem, of course. Batponies had, Fish Eye was discovering, many and varied admirable qualities and talents, but great visual acuity in the daylight was not among them. They might not notice that the dour diligence of their troopers was damaging their marvellous new uniforms… until the damage was too severe to be repaired.

Fish Eye was thinking about the problem of uniforms, and paging through the section of the uniforms' manual on repair and re-enchantment (phrased in fruity arias on the subject of three part harmony and encomiums on the loving kindness of the washer-mare), when her sleeping ensign jolted wide awake from a dead sleep.

"Gah!" Fish Eye squawked, inadvertently.

"Eye!" yelled her ensign, jumping up from her bed and grabbing the first pile of clothing to hoof.

Not the uniform Fish had just finished cleaning, but the still-dirty fatigues from that day. She winced in mortification as her bat pony shrugged into filthy clothing, with very little ceremony or consideration of the dirt she was putting over her coat.

"I forgot something, Eye. Go tell Vine Staff to wake up Rock Mellon and the second lance." The mare kicked her hooves into her iron-toed shoes, and ran out of the narrow little nook they called Fruits Basket's 'officer's quarters'.

Fish Eye didn't even bother shrugging, she just went to wake up their salty corporal, who had already told the hippogriff that he didn't care to be randomly awoken by 'a damned pink daywalker who don't know better than to be a-constantly whistlin' like it was Sunday in the bleedin' service', but officer's orders were officer's orders.

She went running back to find her ensign when she realized under Staff's gimlet eye that Fruits Basket hadn't told her what she'd needed a lance of ponies for. She found her ensign had disappeared, and upon interrogating the half-hypnotized, bored barracks-guard, was able to figure out in which direction Fruits Basket had disappeared off to.

Fish Eye caught up to her officer just inside the great doors of the squadron's quarters' foyer, with some sort of commotion outside in the courtyard in the chill night air. She followed her superior's bat-winged posterior as it emerged into said night air, and paused in shock at the scene of chaos and desolation.

Well, that might have been an exaggeration, but still, Fish hadn't expected to find a swarm of griffons tussling with - no, fighting with a talon's-full of batponies on the flagstones, and blood all over the place. The chaos had barely began to subside when Fish Eye started to make sense of the mess, and her ensign having joined the commotion when -

Was that Hawk Eye? What the buck!

Fish Eye's eyes watered, and she stood, confused, staring at her big sister standing over a horribly injured pony whose red, red blood was spraying all over everything - including Fish's big sister, whose talons were closed around a terrible wound in the afflicted, horribly burnt pony's barrel.

Fish checked out a bit, watching the emergency surgery right in the middle of that garrison courtyard, and listened to her sister ordering about some poor tom Hawk Eye had found to play nurse for her.

It took several minutes for Fish Eye to tear her attention away from the specter that had risen up out of her day to day life, to shock her with the betrayal she'd initially felt over her bloody-taloned sibling, and the guilt she'd felt more recently over having run away from Hawk Eye in visceral, shameful response to that bloody shock.

Why is it that every time I see you, Hawk, you have some pony's blood on you?

Fish Eye's ensign was standing over another bat pony, held prisoner by another pair of griffons in crystal camouflage. On the flagstones beyond that, a third bat-pony, badly disfigured like the first, was lying insensate beneath the talons of - oh, hey, it was Giles.

"Hey, Giles!" Fish Eye heard herself saying, as if she was listening to a play back at Furrow. "What's up, haven't seen you in a while!"

This play sucks, give me my bits back!

The arguing ponies briefly looked her way in disappointment, before returning to their argument.

"No, I'm not kidding, those aren't monsters, those are matrons," her pony was saying to the other officer. Oh, look, officers. Hello, there, master sergeant! Fish Eye managed to not say to the big griffon.

"You know, I managed to live my entire foalhood in Canterlot, and never once lay eyes on a matron of the Night Shift," the major herself said, looking down at the unconscious, badly burned - wait, no, that wasn't burns.

What the buck is that?

"Are they all like this?" asked Master Sergeant Gilda.

"Mostly? Ma'am, sergeant, I'm hardly an expert on-"

"Look, we can't do this in the middle of the courtyard," objected the Major, looking around at the ponies emerging from the other parts of the garrison whose own entrances let out into the rather public space they were standing in - and Hawk Eye's patient was bleeding all over. "Captain Eye! Can you move that into somewhere indoors?"

"Not if you don't want her dying on the way inside, Major!" Fish's sister yelled back, not looking up from her cutting and stitching. A bloody spear was discarded beside the improvised open-air operating theatre.

"Fine, we can at least take the other two prisoners indoors, right? Captain Eye, is this unconscious one going to die if we move her?"

"No idea! Probably not a good idea, her spine might have been damaged, let me tie this off and I'll look at her!"

The major looked at the last batpony, the only one in custody who wasn't injured in some life-threatening manner.

"Well, buck it, we'll take this one inside. Gilda!"

"Yes, major ma'am!"

And the tide of chaos receded inside as the officers decreed.


Trixie sullenly stared at the other officers who'd dragged her out of her workshop. Trixie had been working with Totum on a new type of rocket mortar based on a crummy patent system they had in the arsenal inventory. They had been so close to ironing out certain technical problems... she didn't have time for this horseapples. Whatever it was about.

"Ensign Basket and Gilda are interrogating the conscious prisoner," Sparkle said, looking remarkably composed given the hour and what Trixie had gathered so far about the crisis, whatever else it was about. One bat pony had attacked two others, and there was some sort of mess as a result.

Nopony was dead, and supposedly, if their new surgeon was any good, nopony would be dying. That seemed like a nonevent to Trixie, but nopony ever asked her about her opinion on these sorts of things.

Except she was up here because somepony had, apparently, decided this was an all hooves on deck officers' conference thing.

Not that the ensigns had been called out, but if Trixie had been in charge, she wouldn't have dumped this sort of thing on the provisionals, either. Trixie's section ensigns were cack-hoofed enough as it was, they could use their beauty sleep.

One of the other ensigns emerged from the room they'd gathered in the hallway outside of, along with Sparkle's right-hoof hen.

"What's the word, Gilda?" Sparkle demanded.

"It's definitely Trooper Bob, major ma'am. As to why he just up and tried to murder two ponies, well…" the big hen's eyes turned to the much smaller batpony beside her.

"He had a dream, Major Shield," said the batpony mare. Trixie knew this pony's name. She'd seen her at the commission ceremony. What was her name? Something fruit-ish. All batponies had fruit-themed names. Except the ones who were all 'grr, ponies of the night, boo!'"

"A dream." Sparkle could do deadpan with the best of them, Trixie had to give her that.

"Dreams are very important to batponies, Major Shield," the batpony whose name Trixie couldn't remember said. Oh, hey, there was that hippogriff behind the mare, making googly eyes at her. That made her… well, the one with the hippogriff servant. Damnit, on the tip of Trixie's tongue.

"So he dreamed something, and went charging off to stick a spear in the nearest odd-looking pony he found?"

"It's because you gave him a Name, Major," the thestral said, reluctantly.

"What?!"

"Giving names is a big deal in the colonies, ma'am. Traditionally, even the matrons themselves only get new names when they are accepted by the Concordat, and generally speaking, they pass along the same traditional names, generation after generation."

"You said you had an ancestor in the Night Shift named Witching Hour, Ensign Basket," Gilda said.

Ahah! The Basket mare! What basket… what basket… Mango Basket maybe? No…

"Yes, master sergeant. The sixth Witching Hour," Ensign Basket agreed.

"The one laid out with a concussion or worse out in the courtyard said her name was Witching Hour," observed Captain Big Bell.

"Is that so?" asked 'Basket'. "That'd make her the ninth Witching Hour, assuming they haven't replaced the old one. I haven't been keeping up on the bulletins from home."

"Assuming she wasn't lying about being a matron, either," Sparkle observed.

"They certainly looked like the real deal, Major," Basket replied. "I don't know them, but that's… well, that's what being a matron does to you. Eventually. It's a hard life, working the Night Shift. It is a dangerous profession. You wouldn't believe the things they see, patrolling the dreamworlds of the leadership of Canterlot."

"Just the leadership?" asked Gilda, suspiciously.

"Well, that's the big part of it, but you know evil, it's attracted to power. The matrons spend a lot of themselves, getting into a position to protect the sleeping day, and doing the fighting when they get there."

"All this is new to me, darlin'," said Big Bell. "Explain it again to me like I'm a foal. Those two demonic-lookin' ponies-"

"The matrons, unless some crazed cultists decided to pretend to be matrons, and ritually scarred and mutilated themselves to just look like veteran matrons," Basket corrected her superior.

"Right, OK, these matrons just wandered off from their posts in Canterlot, crossed half the known world, and set up shop in our courtyard, demanding to see the Major, here, and promptly got curbstomped by one of our own, out of the damn blue?" The big, burly pegasus looked outraged at the irrationality of the scenario she described.

"Because Trooper Bob had a dream saying he had to do it, yes."

"What was this dream, Ensign Basket?" asked the Sparkle.

"The Mother of Dreams-"

"Th' wut?" interjected Bell.

"The great dream-mare, Captain. The Mother of Dreams is a batpony deity. It's not especially uncommon for thestrals to dream of the Mother of us all, but in general she doesn't speak unless it's echoing important."

"How do you keep bad actors from just pretending to have a dream of this mother?" asked the Sparkle, with a note of curiosity in her voice.

"Social pressure, and there are Elders of the Colonies who can extract memories - especially dream-memories - out of the minds of the accused."

"That sounds like something that the sheriffs would kill to have access to," Bell noted.

"Yeah, they try to limit the use of that particular trick, it's exactly the sort of thing that produces - well, you saw what the matrons look like. You don't play with dream-magic without consequences. Especially something as brute-force as ripping the living memories out of a pony's skull."

"And you grew up wanting to be that?" asked Gilda, skeptically. "It sounds wind-blasted horrible."

"More than anything else, master sergeant," said Basket. "But I'm ten more years in the service, and two grown foals away from even applying to the Concordat for evaluation."

"So all these grannies patrol the dreams of Canterlot's very important ponies, and it makes them monsters?" asked Big Bell.

"More or less. The older, more experienced thestrals are supposed to be less susceptible to dreamwarping, more stable, more truly themselves."

"If that out there is what protection age and experience gets you, I can't think what youngins might look like, then, playin' around with this stuff," Bell said.

"You're not wrong, Captain. The Plain of Jars is full of thestrals who thought they could be heroes, and intruded into Night Shift matters."

"Plain of wut?" asked Captain Bell.

"Plain of Jars. Kind of like Tartarus, except not set up to torment its prisoners. The guardians of the Plain put an afflicted pony into stasis, and they don't feel a thing."

"For how long?" Trixie heard somepony say. Trixie looked around, puzzled.

That sounded like me?

"Forever, Lieutenant Lulamoon," the batpony ensign said, turning to look Trixie in the eye. "Or until the Mother of Dreams returns to redeem the dreamers. So, effectively the same. In theory, if there's a breakthrough in the treatment of dark magic and dream corruption, they might be able to decant some of the inhabitants of the Plain of Jars and restore them to Equestria. In practice, I've never heard of it happening."

"Are we going to have to worry about Bob?" asked Sparkle, looking vaguely guilty.

"That'll be up to the agents of the Concordat. Whom we need to contact, immediately," said Ensign Basket.

"And these are the bosses of these matrons?" Bell asked.

"Sort of," equivocated the ensign. "With as dangerous as working as matrons is, they need somepony to keep a close eye on them. You don't want corrupted matrons playing around in the unconscious dreams of a minister of state. Or worse, the Princess herself."

Trixie saw ponies' eyes' pupils grow enormous as they all thought on the possibility of evil, mad thestrals thrashing around in the vulnerable dreams of the sovereign herself.

"Yeah, like that," continued the thestral ensign. "So the Concordat sets a watch on their watchponies. That's the agents. If these matrons have gone off the deep end, we need their watchers here to collect them. Soonest. They could be very dangerous. Bob may have saved us from a great deal of trouble."

"Is it possible that they're totally innocent, and it's Bob who's 'gone off the deep end'?" asked Gilda.

"You've met 'Bob', haven't you, master sergeant? Do you think somepony as gormless and single-minded as that trooper is even capable of finding the deep end? There's nothing deep about that pony at all."

The Sparkle closed her eyes in mortification. Yeah, that's what you get for playing around with fools like this Bob, you pompous so-and-so…

"Where is Ping?" asked Gilda, suddenly looking around. "This is a thestral matter. Technically, the corporal's a batpony, right?"

The batpony ensign's eyes twitched, and Trixie was suddenly alert. What was that?

"I have no idea why he'd be relevant, master sergeant," the ensign said, smoothly, as if she'd not reacted at all to that sally. "Ping's a clerk, and a stallion. This is a matter for the marefolk."

"No stallions in the Night Shift?" Gilda asked, looking a bit riled.

"No, of course not, master sergeant. Dreamstuff is beyond the intellect of stallions. It's why I don't think it will turn out that Bob was materially affected by whatever this mess was, or is. We should just put him in the stockade, and keep the matrons under close, watchful eyes until the Concordat agents arrive to collect the two of them."

"Not Bob as well?" asked Sparkle, looking stern.

"Well, that's up to the agents of the Concordat," the batpony said, grudgingly. "I doubt they'll want him. For good or ill, Bob is probably our problem."

"Well, we'll see what they have to say. Fruits Basket, where can we find some Concordat agents?" asked Gilda.

Ha! Fruits Basket. Wait, really? What kind of a name is Fruits Basket?

"I have no idea, master sergeant. I guess we could track down Ping and find out if they have an office here in the Isles, but most likely, we'll have to summon them from… I don't know, Baltimare or Manehattan."

Trixie's eyes didn't leave the back of this Fruits Basket's head. The rest of the officers seemed satisfied with the decisions as made, but something was tickling at the back of Trixie's mind.

She hated it when distractions took her away from her work.

Very little of which got done that night.

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help to Shrink Laureate and Walker of Voids, and for brainstorming & general kibitzing to Damaged and the general Company.

PreviousChapters Next