• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 3,733 Views, 1,279 Comments

The Princess's Bit - Mitch H



Adventure is nothing but other ponies having a terrible time somewhere picturesque. But you take what you can get, when you take the Princess's bit.

  • ...
5
 1,279
 3,733

PreviousChapters Next
Say Yes

Fish Eye lay boneless across the princess's neck, right behind where the ornament sat which had consumed the cursed princess's coronet.

Below them in the light of the rising sun, unfamiliar orchards and low mountainsides streaked by, as the Hercegnő Gyongyi beat her mighty wings, flying low and swiftly across central Bitalia. Fish never would have been able to keep up with the great turul, even before her exertions had drained all energy from her, and left Fish a limp, wrung-out rag draped across George's shoulder.

It was peculiar, living alone in her head, again. Fish had gotten used to sharing rooms, as it were, with her crotchety old Auntie. The dread divine dowager hadn't even said goodbye, before she'd decamped from Fish's head in the heat of the Binding.

Fish's eyes turned again to the diadem that had been birthed of Fish's departed roommate, Fish's own energy, and more raw fish than she cared to remember.

Well, and a mountain's worth of magic. And a brief sojourn within Fish's reproductive facilities. She wondered frivolously whether the magic had taken her potential with it - would she ever have fry of her own, or had this taken that, consumed it via the ritual she'd so carelessly agreed to, in the heat of… excessive amiability?

Fish had to admit to herself, in the now-unaccustomed privacy of her own head, that she'd always had an issue with being too agreeable. Her mother had always told Fish that her inability to say no would someday lead her into trouble.

Was this trouble?

Weak-armed, Fish reached out a quivering talon to touch with the narrow tip of one claw, the back orbit of the new diadem.

-in the night skies are almost perfectly aligned, it's tonight, or possibly the night after tha- Oh! Fish Eye, my little fry! whispered the inner voice of Auntie Amphitrite, smaller and weaker than Fish had ever heard her before. I never thought I'd have the opportunity to talk to you again, my priestess. How are you feeling?

"No-uh. Not poorly, Auntie. Sorry. My throat's a bit sore. Can you hear me?"

Yes! Yes I can! I suppose it works like bone conduction. Ironic, because there's almost no bone at all in this! It's all cartilage! Well, other than the pearl. Pearl's sort of like the second cousin once removed of bone, isn't it? Not strictly living, though. Like me, now!

Well, that wasn't disturbing. "What do you mean, Auntie? The dead don't speak, here you are, aren't you?"

Ah, well. Turning yourself into an artifact is a better afterlife than most available to the divine. No Elysian Fields for us! No, not even Proserpina, that pale pretender.

"You never said that my idea would involve anything so permanent-sounding, Auntie."

Well, well. I didn't want to upset you at the time. It will be well, little fry. I am ever-change, after all. A century or two as matter, infused, will do me a world of god. Good. Hahaha!

Fish smiled. "You sound happy, Auntie. Did I do good?"

You did great, little fish. All shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well. Can you feel the changes, radiating out from us like the stirrings of prophecy affronted?

"No, Auntie. I think that may be a divine thing."

I'm not strictly divine right now. The prices we pay, little fry!

Fish frowned, worried by the implications of that statement. "Aren't the others going to miss you, Auntie? I don't want to think that I've taken our goddess from the flocks, for my own selfish ends."

Selfish! If this was selfishness, then may the wild, miraculous world be overrun by selfish fish! It would be better for us all, to be drowned in such selfishness. No, the nation is safe, secure, and deep-dwelling in my mansions of the abyssal depths. As I have taken up a new residence, they laze about my former home. It was getting crowded, with so many house-guests. It's good to take a dower-house in this newfangled diadem of your design!

Fish's eyes roamed across the surface of the thing she and the princess and the goddess had made between them. The great pearl's upper surface was barely visible over the turul's crest, tucked within the circuit of the artifact. Fish still couldn't believe that such a large stone had come out of her own nethers. Wrapped around the great pearl was the gold of the old cursed coronet, melted over shark-cartilage and rock-splinter alike.

Which brings us to this one last thing. As I have taken my people into exile, into safety, so I too have gone into exile. I send myself on an errand into the wilderness, I launch myself at the heavens. I cannot do that as a god, so I will, for a time, be a slave. A myrmidon, a mamaluke, a janissary.

This is not the thing. This is the reason that the thing must be, if you can. One last time, little fry. You have been such a good priestess, such a loyal little fry. Though I no longer can give blessings, leave with my best good wishes.

And this one last thing: be yourself. No matter what else happens, no matter what evils unfold in front of you, that tempt you to be a hero, to be noble, to be righteous.

That is not you. You are the mare who says yes. To dying, disgusting old gods, to narrow-minded sergeants, to misguided bat-ponies, to all the ponies who ever insulted you, mocked you, or made you do their laundry.

When they ask, little fish, say yes. I will not be there to support you, or protect you. I have been dedicated to this one, single task, a task which is, you will see in time, vital and necessary.

But it means I cannot be there for you in your time of need. And, if my borrowed sight is not mistaken, and it does not misguide me in my turn as it did its prior owner, I could not help you if I could.

What is coming to you must needs come, but having come, I trust in you, little fish. If you can remain yourself.

Be yourself.

Say yes, if you can.

Fish pulled herself up onto her elbows, and leaned forward, and kissed the back of the diadem.

And said nothing else.


Gilda stomped out of the meeting, and through the hatchway onto the main deck. The ambassador and her embassy-guard were being obnoxious, and Gilda was getting tired of the wheedling. They'd come up onto the Bit after the presentation to the Emperor and his court of the ambassador and her subsidies. Gleaming had managed to avoid being present for that event, but they were running out of reasons why the Crystal Guard hadn't moved on from its mooring above the embassy, if not to support the delegation in their political and military goals.

Lady George and her weird little cult-chaplain were a day late, and it was making Gilda and her major look foolish. It made them look like Gleaming was holding out for a bribe, or considerations of some less immediate dubious means, and was intending to do the bidding of the ambassador and the Superb Ouverture, once her price was met.

Gilda was almost positive this wasn't true, but her trust in her major wasn't really an argument that bought any favors from Ambassador Flare or the rest of them, and Gleaming could argue for herself.

A sudden commotion on the port side of the ship broke out, among the gun-crews maring their swivel-guns. Gilda looked up, trying to see what they were fussing about.

Whatever it was, it was hidden by the gunwale on that side of the ship, so she hurried over to see what the fuss was.

Below them, in the lower airs above the slums to the north of the embassy, the combat air patrol was swirling around a strange sight, flying with great wings set to glide over the city below.

It was Lady George.

And yet it wasn't Lady George.

Gilda had always seen the great turul as two images, superimposed. The true bird herself, and the griffon-and-roc lie the cursed coronet wove around her. The former almost always dominated the latter, but they were always both present, except that one time that Gleaming had tried out her special anti-curse spell on Gilda, who didn't really need it.

The figure in the distance wasn't doubled. It was just… a turul. And for a half-second, Gilda panicked that some would-be subject of Lady George had come looking for her - when the bird was gone!

And then Gilda saw the pink figure laying recumbent behind the distant bird's crest, and she recognized Gilda's missing lance corporal.

It was them.

Gilda ran down the line of mared swivel guns, and shouted belaying orders at all of the confused troopers, swatting one slowly-reacting crew's gun-barrel envelope-ward, although the mechanism that prevented gunners from shooting out their own ship's balloon rang as it recoiled from the shock of Gilda's blow, kept from fully elevating by mechanical contrivance.

"Hold fire, hold fire! Those are friendlies!" Gilda cried. Then she gathered her breast, and boomed as loudly as she could towards the approaching lance on combat air patrol. "CORPORAL! ESCORT OUR SHORE PARTY ABOARD!"

After a great deal of confusion, Gilda's will was finally done, and the bats on patrol brought their turul client into the Bit's airspace. Even Trixie appeared, to shout at her swivel-gun crews and reassert discipline and good order.

When Lady George touched down in the middle of the main deck, Gilda was able to get a good, close look at the turul princess's new look. The old, cursed gold circlet had been replaced by… something new. And more than a little villlainous-looking, a webby, broad head-covering that looked half helm, half crown, all white and grey and gold, with an opalescent, glistening white stone in the middle of it like a blind eye.

It looked an awful lot like Gilda's late grandfather's blind eye, in point of fact, all milky and uneven.

To complete the ensemble, Lady George had Gilda's missing lance corporal draped around her shoulders like a stole, or a hippogriff skin worn by some barbarous cannibal tribe of the south seas.

Gilda could hear the lance corporal snoring, so her first fear upon seeing that had been proven groundless, but still…

"Lady George!" Gilda said, greeting the turul with a bow, "I presume?"

"You presume rightly, Master Sergeant Gilda. My apologies for the delays, it took somewhat longer than expected. We return… with solutions in talon."

"So… I see?" Gilda tried to agree. "You seem to have… traded in the old coronet. Is the new one- you, private first class, what do you see here?"

One of the troopers looked away from the turul sitting in front of his swivel-gun position, and gulped. "A big bird, sarge?"

"That's master sergeant, private! What kind of big bird?"

"Uh, master sergeant, ma'am. A really big bird, with a fancy ‘at? Maybe bigger'n the ship's roc? Different colors, though. And the roc didn't have a fancy ‘at. Wait. Didn't you say-"

"That's enough, private first class… Joe, wasn't it? Do you know Magus Heartstrings?"

"Yess'm! I know ol' Lyra!"

"Go get the magus, Joe. And… the rest of you, secure those guns. And keep your eyes on your arc, look lively!"

Gilda turned back to the turul, whose hippogriff stole was waking up and rubbing her eyes sleepily. "Welcome back to the land of the living, Lance Corporal Eye. I see you overstayed your leave by almost a full day!"

"Awk!" squawked the bat-hen. "Master Sergeant! I didn't mean to- I mean, reporting for duty, Master Sergeant! No excuses!"

Gilda stared up at the turul's shoulder. "We'll talk about it later, lance corporal. Get down from there, and stand at attention, we have matters to attend here."

Gilda's attention returned to the turul princess, as her subordinate clambered down from her royal perch, too wobbly, it looked like, to use her wings.

"So is your solution that you've broken the curse, somehow?"

"More like… transformed it, Gilda. I found answers in the sea," the princess said, looking somewhat pensive.

"Some birds do that, I hear, on long voyages," Gilda said, cautiously. "Some just go mad. Uh… that looks like bone. Is it… somebody we might have known?"

"What?" the turul asked, confused. "You mean the diadem? No, it isn't bone, this is shark cartilage. And I didn't ask the shark, but then, I didn't think sharks talked. I've been eating them for years…"

"No, your highness, sharks don't talk," the lance corporal said out of turn, still braced to attention as Gilda had ordered. "Nor do octopi, squid, or most fish that aren't… well, seaponies. Some dolphins, a few porpoises-"

"That's enough, lance corporal!" Gilda said, sharply. "So it's just fish bones, fine. And you… used up the old cursed artifact in making it. And ponies and birds see you for yourself now, wonderful. That's half the game, isn't it, Lady George?"

"This is not a game, Gilda. But yes, it is a start. I've also been given some… advice. And a few ideas. Speaking of which… I need to talk to your mistress, and the ship's-master. We need to change direction."

"We're not going to the Great Roost, ma'am?" Gilda asked, looking up at the barbaric-looking princess.

"We are, eventually. But I have been given some clues. We head north, first."


The princess and the master sergeant were joined by an increasing gaggle of officers, sailors, and diplomats as the chaos grew. Everyone seemed to forget about Fish Eye, but she continued to stand to attention, until somegriff ordered otherwise.

It wasn't a griffon, though, who eventually remembered her, but rather her ensign.

"You went out of the chain of command, Fish," Fruits Basket said, sadly. "You went over my head."

Fish remained braced, not daring to move.

"You may speak."

"I am sorry, ensign, ma'am. I didn't think-"

"Yes, you don't do that very often. Certain things happened after you disappeared."

"I didn't disappear, ensign, ma'am! I took leave, the master sergeant should have-"

"Yes, I didn't mean that, Fish. I meant things which- well, we can't talk about here. This is bat business."

"I… am not a thestral, ensign, ma'am."

"I don't care about any of that. You're in my command. That makes you part of Baker Troop. Will you accept our discipline, as the troop sees the right of it?"

Someone had finally asked her a question. Fish remembered what Auntie A's last request had been. This mattered.

"Yes, ensign, ma'am."

"Then come with me. There's somepony who needs to hear you."

"Don't you mean see me?"

"No, Fish, I mean hear. Did I say you could talk back?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

"What?!"

"Sorry, ma'am, I've made a promise, to always say yes!"

"Come with me, Fish, and stop blithering."

"Yes, ensign, ma'am!"

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help to Shrink Laureate and the general Company.

I won't apologize for how long this has been hanging fire, because there are no words.

I finally got some headway on the chapters ahead of this one, so in my usual promise of staying a couple chapters ahead of what's published, here you go.

PreviousChapters Next