• Published 22nd Sep 2019
  • 3,739 Views, 1,279 Comments

The Princess's Bit - Mitch H



Adventure is nothing but other ponies having a terrible time somewhere picturesque. But you take what you can get, when you take the Princess's bit.

  • ...
5
 1,279
 3,739

PreviousChapters Next
I Am A Camera

Fish Eye wasn't talking to her goddess.

She was looking down at the green fields and stands of trees and other, organized-looking bits of land in between the bare, orange ridges and rock-falls, looking down from her perch in the forecastle beside the goddess's shrine. The landscape below moved surprisingly swiftly. The griffons had unhooked their lines and shrugged off their harnesses, returning by files to avoid cluttering up the deck.

The ship had retained its momentum, with a following wind still filling the steering-sails. To the rear of the ship, some handlers were getting the big roc into her own improvised harness, and from what Fish Eye could see, it looked like they were planning on getting the enormous bird to back-wing the ship as they rapidly approached the port city in the hazy distance, slowing the speeding half-crippled craft.

A distance that was getting less hazy, and considerably less distant, with every hurtling moment they spent unpowered and wind-tossed.

Fish wished the goddess wasn't talking back to her, for that matter.

"-it's only what you unfilial fry deserve, you know. Always neglecting my holy places, never thinking to propriate my august self until some disaster reminds you of your obligations and allegiances." There was a shadow of sea-foam and shore-wrack within the holies, a box of scrap and slightly rotten sacrifices slowly decaying in the shanty that Fish and some of the sailor-ponies had knocked together in the hour or two they'd had to work with just before the dedication ceremony.

Fish Eye hadn't had time to improve it much since then, and the way Auntie A was carrying on, she wasn't sure she wanted to, now.

"Look at this! It's barely fermenting. You should get some more fish-guts to spike these offerings, Eye. Even now, when you need my blessings, you are slighting my worship."

That's it. Fish pushed down her ire, and got into her persona, struggling to not be mad.

"Did I ask for your blessings, Auntie? I didn't. Did I? Oh, dear, oh, dear - did I get confused and ask for something? Oh, tell me I never asked for that, Auntie. Nopony asked me to ask for anything, I promise, I didn't mean it! Only to witness!"

The shadows stilled, and then started swirling the other direction, slowly. Not a great many - not in the daylight like this - but just a few tufts of darkness in the rot and the ooze of the box of holies. "No, child, you didn't ask for my blessing. You may talk like a fool, but you aren't one, are you?"

Fish Eye blinked at her goddess, trying her very best to not look clever.

"Oh, yes, you know better than to play Odd Seabass in front of Poseidon's old ball and chain, don't you? That cleverness never won favor from the gods, only spite and fury and our curses. You can stop tearing up at me, and looking innocent. This isn't my doing, as I have said, and said again. Three times I tell you, I did nothing to your blasphemous flying vessel, or its land-fruited infernal engines.

"If you want to blame a god of the elements, look to the elements which had a flipper in the construction and operation of those mechanical monstrosities. Fire, that tempered the steel, and earth, that filled its ravenous maw, and air, that fed the flame and the earth and the magic that made it all work in supposed harmony. Ask the earth-gods, the spirits of the volcanic vents, those treacherous tarts of the upper airs.

"Or, for that matter, the magical puppets of damnable Harmony, who think to rule over us all, those tyrants of order and conceit and partiality. Your false princess, whom you have sworn allegiance, against all obligations of priesthood and tradition. Look you for priestesses of dirt or metal or fire or air, who might have been offended by your mechanical toys, and caused them to break.

"Priestess Eye, what are you looking at, instead of your goddess?"

Fish jerked, scared and embarrassed that she'd taken her eye off of her goddess, if only for a second. "T-the port city is coming up fast, Auntie. They've taken in the sails, and the roc is straining against the ship's momentum. It- it's surprising. Distracting. Interesting." Fish's mind turned, irrelevantly, to wondering where her equipment had gotten to, the scene cried out for photography.

"What? What's it look like? You know I can't see out of this shrine in the dead of day. Show me! Lend me your eyes, Eye."

Fish looked down at the tiny swirl of shadow, which had tightened, and gotten smaller, more compact, more intense.

She wasn't sure she wanted to do this. But the goddess needed to be reassured. Given something.

And nothing was worse than not seeing. Fish knew she shouldn't, but she felt bad for her goddess.

Fish Eye blinked, and stared hard at the darkness of her Auntie.

And the darkness filled her sight.

Much better, Eye. Go ahead, blink until you can see again. There you go. Fish looked around, her sight slowly returning to her. The goddess's voice was gone, but she could still hear… no, it wasn't sound.

That's the stuff. Ah, the sunlit upper airs. It's been too long since I've seen you with a priest's eyes, Mother World. Oh, it's the Perroencian coast. Is that Fidolentia?

The goddess was thinking at her.

"Uh, no, Auntie A. That's Barkalona. There's a dockyard at Fort Bing that they say we can fix the engines and figure out if the coal in our bunkers is all bad."

Nonsense! If it were all bad, you'd have fallen out of the sky back in Abalone, long before you arrived here. If there's a problem, it will be some little fragment of the supply, you mark my word. Your Auntie Amphitrite has been through these straits a thousand thousand times.

"Several questions, your divinity. One, what's Abalone? Two, we're nowhere near a strait, this is some sort of large peninsula or something like that, I'm a bit turned around right now."

Fool! You were living on the Isles of Abalone for months! How do you- oh, that's right. The foolish surface-dwellers renamed them, didn't they? This is why gods become wrathful, and send the terrible storms and lightning! The falsification of names! The way you mortals endlessly attach a stream of novel NAMES to every thing over wave and under moon. Well, the isles are not mine, so I care not that the ponies and the damnable griffons chose to rename them to - what is it now?

"Uh, are we talking about the Griffish Isles?"

Yes, those. Egotistical birds, they put their names on everything. Griffonia. Griffonstone. The Griffish Isles. Almost as bad as the ponies and their endless self-centered puns.

There was a slight thrumming that transferred through the deck, and Fish Eye looked back across the whole of the ship's upper decks, her eye drawn to the roc and the roc's mighty wings, beating backward against the Princess's Bit's great mass.

My sacred word, is that a royal turul? How extraordinary! Ahem. Damnable, of course, as are all creatures of the upper airs. Not worthy of my time. But… look at that. I've never seen a royal laboring like a common longshorepony before. Eye! Why is there a turul princess in harness attached to your ship?

Fish looked around, confused. "Turwhat? What's a turul? We don't have any of the griffons harnessed up anymore, and we just have the roc working at the moment-"

Roc! That is no corrupted roc I see through your mortal eyes, Eye! What nonsense are you- oh, look at that.

Fish felt a terrible stabbing sensation just behind her left eye, like she'd just tried to look into her own brain.

Well, that won't do, will it? Here, hold still, unasked or not, I am going to GIVE YOU A BLESSING.

Then it hurt a great deal, and everything was surrounded by halos of lambent pain.

Oh, do stop being so dramatical, Eye. It should only hurt for a little while. I swear by my holy name, you mortals and your frailities. I've exempted you from the curse that princess carries around on her head, that's worth a bit of strain, isn't it? Now do stop whimpering and let me see more. Eye? Eye?


Gilda looked down at the shivering hippogriff laying on a cot in her sister's infirmary.

"What happened?" Gilda asked the older hippogriff. "She just keeled over beside that pile of wreckage she calls a shrine, is what happened. The ensign here had to haul her down from the forecastle. Is it an aneurysm?"

"How would I know? Do I look like a neurosurgeon to you? That was Bones' speciality. I'm a meatball surgeon. Looks bad, but not get-out-the-trepan-and-start-drilling bad. Given it happened in the shrine, I think maybe she angered the goddess. Sea and salt, I hope she didn't anger the goddess."

"No, she did not anger the goddess, my faithless niece,", said the hippogriffish lump on the cot with a voice that sent shivers of terror down Gilda's back. The batpony ensign hovering beside Gilda and looking down at her servant with concern jerked back in alarm, knocking over another cot and bouncing off the bulkhead behind Gilda.

The pink mare rose from her bed like something… unearthly, a dead look in her unseeing eyes. "My blessing took my priestess in a way that I was not expecting. She will be fine… in a bit. I believe?"

"Fish? Fish, are you feeling OK? Talk to me, little sister!" squawked the terrified-looking doctor.

"Try and be less of a damned fool than you absolutely have to be, my most idiotic of nieces. How is it that my priestess is, according to her, the disappointment of the family? She knows her goddess when she hears the voice of divinity. Bah, I'm stressing her even more by doing this, stop bothering me, and leave your sister to rest. Griffon! I will want to talk to you about this turul princess you're harboring on this abomination of the winds you call a ship, but I need to find a less taxing method of communication. When my priestess recovers, discuss it with her!"

Then the younger hippogriff just flopped down upon the cot, and started snoring. Fruits Basket stared slit-eyed from her tangle of tumble-down cots and blankets, and Gilda and the thoroughly alarmed doctor looked at each other over the stentorian snores of the little priestess between them.

"So, that happened. I guess she really does have the favor of a hippogriffish goddess?" Gilda asked. The.. she… that whatever that was had suddenly seen through the turul's curse suggested that something ineffable was happening.

"Either that, or it's early-onset schizophrenia," Hawk Eye said, looking angrily down at her sister.

"Is that… something that happens with hippogriffs?" The ensign, Fruits Basket, asked, cautiously, as she extracted herself from the mess she'd made in the corner..

"No, drown it. I just don't want to admit that my sister's been possessed by one of our crazy tutelary deities. At least it isn't the shark-god. I'm not sure how I'd explain the transformations and the obligate cannibalism."

"The what?" asked the ensign. Bug-eyed looked downright peculiar with thestral eyes.

"Never mind, it won't be a problem. Abyssal depths, Fish might even be able to exorcize shark-possessions, if the Lady Amphitrite likes her this much. I'm gonna have to go sit down and think this through, Sergeant Gilda. Can you excuse us?"

"Uh, yeah. We have a lot… I have a lot of work. Right. Later."

Gilda turned around and left the ensign with the hippogriffs and their suddenly terrifying religious issues.

Religion was officer business, wasn't it?


Purse Strings looked back at the stricken Princess's Bit as the batponies and others tried to get her back up-wind from where she'd come to a halt several thousand yards past the dockyards of Fort Bing. He was riding a chariot back to the Equestrian enclave courtesy of a pair of bats assigned to him to get the work started soonest. The port of Barkalona proper extended inland beyond the long, narrow headland upon which the Fort squatted, that held a tangle of dockyards, jettys, piers and repair facilities sheltering between the heavy masonry walls and the rest of the harbor.

On the far side of the harbor squatted the dog city, and Purse could smell the funk from up here. He'd never been fond of diamond dogs, and the Perroencian breed always struck him as especially dirty and inhospitable. They hadn't been planning on visiting this particular Equestrian protectorate, but any port in a storm, you know?

The major had been planning a port call in Perroneus, which was just as much of a dogtown as Barkalona, but at least the Kokoni liked to perfume themselves, you could barely smell the dog on them. This repair jaunt probably put a pin in the purple unicorn's proposed tourism. Thank harmony for small favors.

At least the Equestrian enclave around Fort Bing had been mostly ponies and hangers-on the last time Purse had been in port, and they made the filthy dogs that worked for them wash themselves. Why couldn't it have been a griffon town? Purse liked griffons. Even when they weren't washed, their stink was… reassuring.

All the baths in the world didn't keep the smell from blowing seaward from the inland neighborhoods of the city.

Dogs, bah.

The bats brought Purse's chariot into the courtyard outside of the overseer's office in the dockyards. Purse had dealt with this pony before, and their facilities. They were always willing to do what needed to be done, if you could grease their frogs with the right amount of bits.

It was Perroenica, the right amount was rarely all that much.

The door opened, and a huge buck-you bitch came out of the office. Purse's gaze went up, and up, and - damn, that was a big bitch. Enormous, black, and shaggy, Purse couldn't even see her eyes.

Bipedal, why do they have to be bipedal? Makes me feel like they're always about to pounce.

"What pony want? You come from that big airship cluttering up Mindy's offshore approaches?"

"Uh, what, yeah, what? Er. Yeah, that's the Princess's Bit. We had engine problems over Bayhon. I need to make arrangements for supplies and repairs. Uh, where's Pyrite Glitter?"

"Ha! Pony haven't been to Perroencia recently? Pyrite went home year and a half ago. Caught some pony bug, said he was tired. Retired to Territories!"

That was awful news. Everypony knew that Pyrite Glitter was an easy touch, and more importantly, an easily bribed source of cheap supplies and equipment. And they'd replaced him with… this diamond dog? A local?

"Haw! Haw! Mindy knows that look. We can do business, pony. The docks are open for business, just like it was in Pyrite-pony's day. Who you think balanced the books for cheating pony? What you need, scrawnier pony? What you name, that matter? Mindy vaguely recalls your pony muzzle, but not your pony name. Parrots have you tongue?"

What kind of a name was 'Mindy', anyways? Damned dogs…


"The quartermaster says that we can get the work done here, Major ma'am. Might even be cheap, apparently it's a low-overhead port." Gilda looked over her notes, sitting in her chair beside Gleaming's cot.

"Wish I could have taken the meeting. When does the damn doctor say I can return to duty? I feel fine."

"Head injuries aren't anything to play around with, Major ma'am. Leave it up to us. And this isn't anything really command-centric, anyways. It's engine repairs."

"Do we have any idea what caused the damage? What about that rockhopper they were going to find to check our fuel bunkers?"

"I'd normally send out Magus Heartstrings to dig up a specialist, but, well, given-"

"Yes, yes, we're rapidly running out of uninjured unicorns. We need to do better on that front. Rockhoppers aren't unicorn business, anyways."

"They aren't? You know I don't always quite get the division of labor among you ponies, Major ma'am."

"Harmony, no. Rockhoppers are thoroughly earth pony, through and through, stem to stern. I'd say send somepony from the engineering section, or Purse Strings, but, well…"

"Yeah. Those dweebs are all busier than a butcher after a stampede. Hrm. We don't have a lot of earth pony officers right now. Lieutenant Lulamoon's two ensigns. Maybe Ensign Ramrod?"

"Go ask Trixie to pick her officer most likely to know a rockhopper from a chiseler, and both of them go to find us our stone-sniffer, Gilda."

"Yes, Major, ma'am."

"Also, get that damn hippogriff to clear me for duty, I'm tired of this room. I stink like three-day-old fish. I'm tired of my own company, and I want to run my ship like I ought."

"Yes, Major, ma'am."

Author's Note:

Thanks for editing and pre-reading help to Shrink Laureate, and for brainstorming & general kibitzing to the general Company.

PreviousChapters Next