• Published 31st Aug 2019
  • 872 Views, 15 Comments

I Will Wait - lLoveRainbowDash



Twilight is leaving Ponyville and all of her friends on the same day as Rainbow Dash was going to confess her love to Twilight.

  • ...
5
 15
 872

Chapter 6 - Late Night Troubles Part 1

Author's Note:

Hey everyone, sorry it took me so long for anything to be done. I’ve been finding it hard to focus on things recently. I don’t know if it’s because of school, or other things that are going on right now.

Thanks for stickin' around.

Every single night when I try to sleep, I think about Twilight. I can’t get away from it, no matter how hard I try. I just wanna go through one day without thinking about her,” Rainbow Dash said to herself as she flew through the evening purple sky. “Is that too hard to ask?”

She sighed. “Maybe it’s just a passing thing...”

She flew around a large cloud in the immense sky. “Heh, I wish. I’m falling head over hooves for her! I can’t even talk to her without stuttering! M-maybe Rarity can help me... Actually, no. I can’t risk anypony figuring out about this. It would be... too embarrassing.”

She hung her head low as she flew. The fresh cool air flowed freely through her feathers and mane. Her wings guided the way through the misty clouds, gliding with ease. She flapped every once in a while to keep herself up.

“I wish I would have told her when I had the chance... At least then I would have known her answer.” She held her breath for a moment. In the short time she held it in, she felt each beat of her heart. Faint, soft beats. A never-ending rhythm. She then exhaled slowly.

“I wish she was here right now... I-I really can’t hold it for so long. I just wanna tell her... so bad.”

Rainbow Dash looked down below her. Ponyville was a little ways behind her, shining with the last bit of lights still on, and all around her was a vast field of soft rolling hills. The curved slopes seemed to be smooth to the touch from her height.

The boundless skyline felt right within her grasp... but yet too distant. The sky’s hue darkened as the sun slowly set in a beautiful flourish of ribbon-like fire.

“Oh, what do I do?!” Rainbow Dash shouted out to no pony in particular.

She closed her eyes and held her breath once more. She tried her hardest to imagine herself... and Twilight.

”I love you...” she said, holding her friend close. She heard her whisper something, but couldn’t quite make it out. “W-what?” she asked.

“I-I... love you too,” Twilight said, her voice cracking like she had been crying for a while. She lifted her head to meet Rainbow Dash’s gaze.

“Th⁠—

“What am I doing?! I can’t be serious, can I?” Rainbow Dash asked herself, promptly face-hoofing. “This is so not cool.”

She sighed once again. “I should just go to sleep... it’s getting late.” With that, Rainbow Dash turned around and set out for her home.


Rainbow Dash woke to the sound of somepony knocking on her door. It was soft and calm.

She sat up and looked over at her clock. It was early in the morning. Very early.

Who is at my door? Rainbow thought. She got off of her bed and made her way to the stairs. As she was walking down the stairs, the knocking started up again.

“I’m coming!” she shouted towards the door.

“We... We need to talk,” a pony said from the other side of the cloud door.

That voice... Rainbow opened the door. “T-Twi... Twilight? I-I thought you left... W-what... A-are you okay?” She stepped forward and placed her forelegs on her friend’s shoulders.

Twilight was seated in front of her with her head down. She was crying. And to the touch, she was cold.

“Twilight, wh—”

“Can I come in?” she interrupted, bringing her gaze up to Rainbow’s.

“Y-yeah,” Rainbow Dash managed. She stepped aside to let her friend inside. “Come i—”

“Rainbow Dash.”

“W-what?”

“Tell me...”

“T-tell you what? I-I’m confused, Twilight!”

“Is it true?”

“Twilight! What are you talking about? Why are you even here? Aren’t you supposed to be—”

“Is it true?” Twilight repeated.

“Why don’t you come inside? You’re just sitting out there in the cold!”

“Rainbow Dash.”

“What!?”

Twilight didn’t say anything else after she yelled. Instead, she just hung her head low once again.

Rainbow winced. “Twi, I-I didn’t mean to yell. You’re just... How did... Can you tell me what’s going on?”

Twilight didn’t answer. She didn’t show any signs of acknowledgement towards her question, either.

Something’s not right here... Rainbow Dash thought. Wait... did she somehow figure out—

“Rainbow Dash!” somepony suddenly shouted. “Over here!”

Rainbow looked around. She then saw a pony standing on a nearby cloud. “W-who are you?”

“It’s me, Princess Luna,” the pony said, gliding down towards her.

Rainbow Dash blinked and noticed Twilight was now nowhere to be seen. “W-what’s going on?”

“You haven’t figured out yet? You are in a dream right now, Rainbow Dash.”

“I am?”

“Yes. Not just any dream, a nightmare. Though, I don’t understand why.”

Rainbow sighed and collapsed to the ground. She laid there for a moment before saying, “That explains a lot, actually.”

“What was causing so much trouble?” Luna asked.

“I... I don’t wanna talk about it.”

“The only way it will get better is if you talk to somepony about it. I won’t tell anypony.”

“You promise?”

“I promise.”

“Okay, well... I... I love Twilight. N-not just as a friend... a-and I don’t know how to tell her. That night when she left, I... was planning on telling her then, but... yeah.”

“Oh, I see... I wish I could help you further, but for now, you need to wake up.”

“Why?”

“Because it’s morning. The only advice I can give you right now is to try and spend time with your friends; it’ll take your mind off of things for a little while. Anyways, I should go now. Bye!”

With that, Princess Luna disappeared, leaving Rainbow Dash alone in the dream. Now that she stopped to look around, things weren’t normal. Her house was... smaller than she remembered. The clouds in the distance were a dull green, not their normal white-blue. The sky was a dark purple, with no stars. The moon was extremely large with an overwhelming amount of light coming off of it.

“How do I wake up?” she asked.

Just then, she opened her eyes and jumped up in bed. She went to rub her eyes of sleepiness, and noticed that she had sweat profusely while she was asleep.

“I guess I need to take a shower before I do anything today.”

Rainbow Dash pulled the covers off of herself and got off of the bed. She walked out of her room and down the stairs. She exited the house and took flight.

Rainbow Dash had found a new way of washing off that was much more efficient than normal showering. All she does is just fly through several clouds to get herself moist. After that, she would fly up for a while then let herself fall back down. While falling, the wind would dry her off, mostly.

When Twilight had asked her about it, she said it didn’t wash her off, just rinsed. Same thing, right? No.

Twilight began a long lecture about washing and rinsing, but Rainbow Dash didn’t really listen. She just sat and watched her friend be an egghead. A cute one at that.


Rainbow was flying through the streets of Ponyville, searching for any of her friends. Normally she didn’t remember anything about dreams, but what Princess Luna said stuck in her mind.

”The only advice I can give you right now is to try and spend time with your friends; it’ll take your mind off of things for a little while.”

Just a few minutes ago, Ponyville seemed empty, but now it was full of ponies.

Everypony must be going to the market place. If not, then why is everypony out right now? I guess I’ll go to the market place too; it’ll be easier to find everypony.

Rainbow Dash flew faster down the streets to the market place. Almost every morning involved ponies heading to the market place to pick up food and other things. And with Winter coming up, ponies were gathering food supplies for Hearth’s Warming dinners.

Once she made it to the center of the markets, she landed and looked around for any of her friends. There was no sign of them.

Maybe they aren’t here yet. I guess I’ll go buy some food while I’m here, Rainbow thought. She made her way through the small crowds of ponies gathered around some of the stands.

There were many stands with fruits. Some had vegetables, and some had both. In this time of year, not many stands were selling anything other than foods. Rainbow Dash normally frequented a small stand that would sell Wonderbolts posters.

She walked up to one of the fruit stands as she held some bits in her hoof. “Hey, could I get some apples and oranges.”

“How many?” the pony behind the stand asked.

“Three of each, I guess,” Rainbow replied.

“Alright, that will be 12 bits.”

Without saying anything, Rainbow Dash gave the pony the 12 bits and walked away with her bag of fruits. I should probably get some—Oh, “Applejack!”

Rainbow ran towards her friend. “Applejack, can we talk?” she asked once she caught up.

“About what?”

“Uh... I don’t know. I just want to talk.”

“Oh...kay. Well, uh, what are ya doing in the market?”

“I came here to find one of you girls, but I decided to get some food while I was waiting.”

“How long were ya waiting?”

“Not too long, actually.”

They stood there glancing back and forth. It was an awkward moment of silence between the two.

Applejack finally broke it. “Well, good, uh... talk. I guess I’ll... see you around.”

“Y-yeah. See you later,” Rainbow said, snapping back to reality.

She sighed. This is going to be a long day...