• Published 13th Aug 2019
  • 328 Views, 5 Comments

Corners of the Earth - raven618



A D&D-esque choose-your-own-adventure story. Join the party of Twilight Sparkle as she journeys across the land.

  • ...
 5
 328

Chapter 5: Magic

Twilight turned back so she was looking Silver Spoon in the eye. “Silver Spoon, I’m going to cast a spell that will let me see the magic inside of you. Will you be alright if I do that?”

Silver seemed to ponder for a moment, “Sure! Go ahead.”

“Thank you.” Twilight held her staff out in front of her, the purple gemstone only a few inches away from her face. “Detect magic!” With those words, her purple eyes began to glow with a brilliant blue light.

From Twilight’s point of view, the world turned black. The earth, the rocks they were standing on, it all faded out of view. Silver Spoon still stood in front of her, but she appeared as if someone had done a pencil sketch of her all in one color, appropriately silver.

Or that is what she should have been seeing. But instead she saw, Twilight couldn’t quite describe it. It looked like a stream of thin, dark blue growths, snaking out of her abdomen and reaching into her chest and upper legs.

“That’s, not good.” She said aloud.

“What? What’s wrong with her?” the father demanded.

“She has,” She paused to gather her thoughts. “Silver, you have some kind of, foreign magic inside you, and it seems to be, growing or spreading. There isn’t a lot, but it’s definitely there.”

Silver became uneasy, “Can you get it out?”

“No.” Twilight smiled, “But I’m certain that my teacher can. She’ll get that bad magic out of you.” Silver seemed to brighten at this.

Twilight closed her eyes. “Now, please point me to the river.” Moondancer grabbed her shoulders and slowly turned her so that she was facing the water.

“Wait, why does she need help?” Pinkie, who had previously been mesmerized by the display of magic, asked.

Lyra answered her, “When the spell Twilight is using is cast, the caster can see all the magic around them. But that’s just about all they can see. So, wizards who aren’t used to seeing the world that way can get, well, dizzy.”

Twilight was now facing the river, “You can open your eyes now, Twilight.” She did, and what she saw frightened her.

“It’s, it’s filled with magic.” Huge clouds of dark blue magic were flowing upstream, almost filling the river channel. “It looks like the same magic inside Silver, but there is a lot more of it.” She called off the detect magic spell, and the world returned to normal. “It’s coming from downstream.”

“Come on, let’s go check it out!” Pinkie said, running off downstream.

“Woah! Hold on a minute!” Moondancer said. Pinkie’s heels left twin tracks in the dirt as she skid to a stop. “Shouldn’t we tell Professor Celestia about Silver and the river first?”

“Tell her what?” Lyra countered, “All we know is that there’s a kind of magic and strange fish in the river, and that this magic is also in this girl. We don’t know where it’s coming from, or what it really does. We need to meet up with the rest of the class first and find out if this is dangerous or not.”

Twilight put her hand on her chin in thought.

[Find the source of the magic. We need to find out where this magic is coming from. Then we can stop it at its source.]

[Tell Celestia. She’s the magic expert, she’ll know what this is and how to counter it.]

[Inform the rest of the students about the discovery. We are supposed to work together, and they might have more information than we do.]

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment