• Published 21st May 2019
  • 19,448 Views, 2,036 Comments

The Unique Properties of Dark Magic - Shadestyle



Stranded in Equestria's far past in the body of a unicorn without any magical knowledge, the self proclaimed "Weiss Noir" fights for survival in the Frozen North by indulging in sorcery most foul.

  • ...
59
 2,036
 19,448

PreviousChapters Next
(Noir Report) The First Mastery of Hatred [Killing Intent]

Entry #12, Day 90

The mark of true art, it has a profound impact on those around it.

That is what I have discovered today. A power of hatred previously locked off to me is now made manifest through my anger, through betrayal. And now I can share it with all of you. The secret to this next spell is a simple one, but oh-so-crucial. One must feel hatred sufficient to kill, and combine it with the desire to communicate that hatred to others. To make them realize just how close to the edge you really are. Through this combination of cold hatred and intention, the spell Killing Intent is born.

Obviously, it's not a spell I have tested extensively. Aside from the intense hatred it inspires, easily stronger than that evoked by Black Flames, it requires a difficult mindset. The capability to kill, without the impetus to go through with it. By leaving the subject of the hatred unfilled, the spell can also be turned into a wide ranged effect, expending more magic, but covering all living things in it's radius. This is the ideal method with which to use it, speaking generally, as it does not require the user to experience a more narrow hatred that would affect their reasoning.

I consider this spell to be a mark of mastery in the dark arts of hatred. It required a betrayal of the highest caliber in order for me to realize it's power, and a cold, calculating hatred that I don't normally experience. Indeed, I know more than well enough that my anger burns hot. Hot, petty and fleeting at the best of times. This spell required a hatred beyond that. One that burns slowly, and bites with ice instead of fire. Perhaps that explains some of it's numerous effects.

Those afflicted by Killing Intent who lack strong wills are, first and foremost, frozen in place. It's not a consequence of some sort of magical binding, but rather, their own fear when they sense the danger radiating from a caster. For most, this is sufficient to trigger the release of adrenaline, to activate the fight-or-flight response, while at the same time flooding their conscious mind with an awareness of the danger that leaves them unable to formulate a course of action to take.

Those who were willing, I allowed them to experience it, and the more strong-willed among them were able to resist it and act in spite of it. Curiously, however, my student was unaffected. They did not resist it, but rather, the spell simply would not touch them, it refused, whether I focused or not, to afflict Eclipse Flash with even a hint of the hatred. This raised interesting conditions that any aspiring Dark Mage should strive to remember.

Killing Intent is shattered when you attempt to turn it on the ones you care for. Even the ability of Dark Magic to enhance and correct your emotions only functions when you first cast the spell. After that, sufficiently strong emotions can fracture and dispel the magic, if you lack the ability to maintain it. Even a spell midflight could be disrupted if the conditions demanded it. This is important to consider, for those who may be forced into unsuitable situations, where Dark Magic is not a sustainable method of solving problems.

The spell is also capable of functioning on animals, monsters, and to a very limited extent, some forms of spellcraft. Only spells which are anthropomorphized are affected by it, such as golems and summons. A fireball won't be dissuaded from striking you by Killing Intent, though a bird made of flames might be. I would suggest that users not rely on the spell for use as a barrier, as, ultimately, it's not 100% reliable as a method of deflecting spellcraft.

Interestingly, the spell also mostly fails as an enchantment, unless the object enchanted is itself animate as well. Even then, it is a simple enough matter to resist even potent killing intent from a nonliving subject. Perhaps it has something to do with the nature of magic, or maybe just the nature of fear and hatred. Either way, it's uses for indirect casting are mostly limited to an ambience of unease, perhaps useful for aesthetics or a very brief shock, but not much else.

By mastering this magic, one can truly learn to control the immense power of hatred. To hate without acting on that hate. To make others comprehend without destroying them. In a twisted way, this spell forms the backbone of an enlightened dark mage, as it allows one to express their feelings without taking actions which would vilify them. It represents mercy in the face of an overwhelmingly violent urge to do anything but grant mercy.

In that sense, I suppose I should thank the one who helped inspire this new spell, as he pushed me closer to the edge than I had previously been pushed, and made me aware that if pushed to such a limit that I could back away from the precipice, however shudderingly I do so. No matter what I do next, I will take action with dignity and caution, instead of allowing myself to fall to mindless violence.

I would suggest to any who read this entry to first master the Black Flame spell before attempting to produce Killing Intent. Being able to manage hatred and find healthy methods to cope with the strong feelings are key to casting this spell, due to the paradoxical requirements of both intent to kill and restraint from doing so. I fear one who attempts this spell without being ready for it could find themselves performing actions that they would not make while possessed of a sound mind, ones which are surely regrettable.

This spell has one major flaw, however, beyond others mentioned previously. Namely, despite my best efforts, I cannot cast the spell in such a way that I radiate menacing symbols whenever I use it. Truly, this makes the spell borderline useless for my purposes.

PreviousChapters Next