• Published 21st May 2019
  • 19,348 Views, 2,035 Comments

The Unique Properties of Dark Magic - Shadestyle



Stranded in Equestria's far past in the body of a unicorn without any magical knowledge, the self proclaimed "Weiss Noir" fights for survival in the Frozen North by indulging in sorcery most foul.

  • ...
59
 2,035
 19,348

PreviousChapters Next
(Weiss Report) The Holy [Merciful Flash]

I don't actually know when this entry was written, as he didn't actually organize this book's physical pages chronologically. a lot of it has been marked over and torn.


I've finally done it. I've mastered this damned spell. It's finally mine to command.

Sombra's Corrupt Crystal Creation is a spell which creates black crystals, infused with the will to dominate life. Under normal circumstances, the spell's crystals are able to control minds and control the living. A spell tailor made to imprison and enslave, plain and simple.

Sombra's Crystal Curse is a spell which expands upon this property, taking it to the next, horrifying level. When cast on a target, it grows those same black crystals on them, but unlike SC3, the Crystal Curse spell also transforms the imprisoned one, turning them into a living, petrified statue, shackled with dark magic.

Until today, I had no cure for the latter. And without a cure, I could not cast it. Not only because I did not want to, but because my magic itself rebelled at the idea of killing something using the power of domination. But now, all of that has changed. I have realized the curative properties of the Black Flame, and with that, it's as though a lock on my own mind had been jimmied open.

Indeed, as with many things, the secret was always hatred. And I despise Sombra, more than anything else in this world. More than anything in any world. And through that hatred, I have managed to create a black flame that not only burns away everything Sombra does or creates, but does so perfectly. I can now sear away any foul ailment he inflicts, leaving the pony beneath unharmed.

I can take his signature spell and twist it to my own uses.

Its first, and most obvious use. If I can turn flesh to crystal, then I can grow flesh. Wounds that would once threaten my life, I can now cure in moments, by turning the curse and it's cure inward on myself. It might take a triple-spell to use it this way, combining both Royal Crystal Growth, Black Flame, and my curse all at the same time, but it can be done with sufficient focus. The irony is that Royal Crystal Growth, when used on myself, merely restores me, without any changes. After all, all of my qualities are my best ones. There is no improving upon them, obviously.

Its second, much more important use is it's ability to stint wounds. Where before, I would only grow weaker and weaker as I sustained damage in battle, I can now dismiss injuries I take to becoming inert crystal, on both myself and others. Thus, my own version of this spell is a medical spell, at it's core. And triage is it's simplest use, on it's smallest possible scale. Effectively a bandaid, if a bandaid were made of twisted black magic.

Its third, but certainly not its least critical use is it's ability to put a pony into stasis. I can now save ponies from even the depths of mortality by simply petrifying them until a healer can be brought to them. Though it requires my direct intervention to use the spell in this manner, it essentially means that in times of turmoil, I can give my ponies time. The rarest, and most quickly lost resource in an emergency.

What dramatic irony, that I've been able to turn this, what is the darkest among dark magics, a spell that transforms a pony into living mind-control crystals, trapped in place at the whim of another, into a spell whose medical uses are endless. I'm sure if Sombra could see how I've twisted his spell into this sick mockery of itself that it is now, he would be writhing in his fucking icy imprisonment right now. I'll have to remember to rub it in his face while I'm murdering him, I suppose.

If this whole immortality thing doesn't pan out, I could probably use the spell on myself to pass the next millennia or so until his return. I don't really want to nap away perfectly good time I could spend planning his death, but if needs must, I suppose it's yet another option I now have available to me. The only reason I have to live so long is to end him when he returns after all. There's nothing else left.

It really is odd, just how arbitrary magic can be. All of my crystal magic suddenly becomes applicable, the moment I cast my curse on something. Even though the spell does indeed turn something into crystal, it is still merely a transmutation, with the true form of the creature merely censored beneath it. The fact that the curse makes them vulnerable to crystal magic implies odd things about magic that I suppose merely mark it's nature more boldly as a force of feelings, rather than strictly one of facts.

One thing I suppose is worth noting. Even though my crystal might appear as black as Sombra's when I inflict my curse on a living thing, some deep, primal part of my soul scoffs at the idea that they are the same blackness. Where Sombra's dark gems are born of a cold, uncaring disdain, when I see my own spell, it seems so obvious that it is the same shade of my hair, the same black as my cutie mark. It is the unique color of hatred.

Not merely a hatred that I have directed at something, or the petty hatred that others feel, but the same hatred that forms that precious, tender core of my soul. A hatred so strong, and so perfected over these years that it slides over my surroundings like the tenth plague. Quiet, infinite, and unstoppable, but sparing the ones I care for. It seems that, in the end, the Black Flame of hatred has once again destroyed that which I despise, though instead of doing so physically, just this once, it has instead metaphorically destroyed Sombra's Prized spell, and from those ashes, I have scavenged this, my most merciful dark magic.

That being said, I have decided to call it the Merciful Flash. A reference to...


...The rest of the entry has been scribbled out.

PreviousChapters Next