• Published 21st May 2019
  • 19,209 Views, 2,033 Comments

The Unique Properties of Dark Magic - Shadestyle



Stranded in Equestria's far past in the body of a unicorn without any magical knowledge, the self proclaimed "Weiss Noir" fights for survival in the Frozen North by indulging in sorcery most foul.

  • ...
59
 2,033
 19,209

PreviousChapters Next
(Weiss Report) Gate of Babylon, and Other Fun Party Tricks [Homeworld Portal]

Entry Number Twenty-One, Day Two-hundred-and-Forty

Why are portals so God Damn cool? This has gotten pretty ridiculous, I'm not going to lie.

I'll start at the start, when I attempted to use portals to enhance my weaponry.

Turns out, when you combine weightlessness with heavy weaponry, the results can be... potent. Especially when you aim straight up. I'm still finding bits of tungsten from the balistae I had fired through a portal as a range test for weightless bolts. I'm sure no further rambling is needed to clarify my next step. I rigged up a few chambers with nothing but some modified spear launchers, in case I ever need to go Gilgamesh on some poor fool.

Speaking of weightlessness and things fit for a king, I've worked out an enchantment which permanently allows an object to enjoy the benefits of portal weightlessness. By passing portals over an objects in such a way that it's almost seamless, and doing so repeatedly, an object can be given selective resistance to gravity. If I had some sort of reason to, I could probably make an entire floating island with this. For now though, I think I'll settle for commissioning a few flying machines.

By combining Foxfire with this new Gravity-Disruption Magic, I've also taken the time to produce a few very special magitek devices, able to diminish the effects of centripetal and acceleration forces. I've started calling them G-Diffusers. I don't know if it's as good as pegasus magic, but tests in the centrifuge were very enlightening. They were also very sickening, and I don't plan to perform any more testing if I've eaten on the same day... It was unpleasant.

It'll all be worth it when I get to fly an actual Arwing, though.

Things became extremely strange when I tried to take all of this portal junk a step further, twisting up portals and dipping them in molten metal in an attempt to create improved armor plating.

The result looked like ordinary metal, but when I started blasting it with magic, it... Stopped working. The magic was able to plow through a few millimeters, but the end result was the magic rushing into the exposed micro-portals, flying out the other end of the portal. It didn't matter how potent the spell was, if it wasn't a solid attack, it would fail outright. The magic blasts forward, then goes into the portals, and out the other end.

It's not a perfect armor, since I still have to vent the attack out of a portal somewhere else, but... It's a hell of a start.

The metal or crystal in question also doesn't deal well with physical attacks, and mass damage can be triggered when one of the microportals fractures from a physical impact, making even large swaths of armor fracture and break from one strong impact. I'll have to keep that in mind, if I plan on using it to deal with combat magic in the future, since the material just shreds itself apart whenever something like a cannonball hits it.

The ease with which objects can be enchanted with portal magic is frankly unreasonable, if you ask me. I've done some experiments, and with some extensive effort, I can create an object which opens temporary portals given a trigger. Aside from making for great theft bombs, I've been looking into the best possible way to use objects enchanted to open portals, aside from simply using it in combat.

I've started having my dudes prepare what I like to call the Arcana Janus. Bolts of cloth designed to open portals when an object is pressed between them and a surface. By distributing these sheets of cloth carefully, I'm sure there are a number of Dirty Deeds that I could have Done Dirt Cheap. I've upgraded the fast travel stations with the Arcana Janus equipment, along with some safety measures that I'm sure will discourage abuse of it. Violently.

By that I mean I've set up some riot hoses to spray down anyone dumb enough to trigger an alarm near one of the Fast Travel stations.

The last thing I've revisited and improved upon is the use of Portal Rope as a weapon. While using it as a garrotte is a bit too kinky for my tastes, using it as a whip strikes the perfect balance between kinky and boring. Of course, I'm not very good at actually using whips, so I'll leave it to my R&D dudes and Soldier dudes to work out the details on that particular discovery. A portal is a hell of a thing to be whipped by, so I'm sure that it will come in handy.

I've also been considering whether or not it might be possible to chain together two portals in a literal chain. If I could do that, I'm not sure what benefits it would have, exactly, but the topographical implications would be interesting as hell, I'm sure. Maybe with some sort of enchantment, I could pull it off.

I wonder... If I'm enchanting items to create portals, does that make them Portable Holes?


Entry Number Two-Hundred and Thirty Two, Year Thirty-Eight.

Well, it's taken me an embarrassing amount of time, but I finally figured out how to make Swap Explosions affect a living pony. My R&D dudes finally cracked the code, when one of them posed an idea to me, and, when I tested it, sure enough, it worked. The secret was Love. Just a hint of love injected into the magical energies of the Homeward Portal, and it gains the ability to affect ponies as well.

I probably wouldn't have figured it out without the help of my R&D dudes. I don't have a lot of love left to give, lately.

I'll be sure to include this in my plans. Just another piece of the puzzle, for when I exact my final revenge on Sombra. Unlike our last battle, I'll be able to control the battlefield entirely, and I'll leave nothing up to chance. I've started preparing what I like to call my Final Boss Room. I've spared no expense.

Just nine-hundred more years to go, or so, before I can kill him for good.

PreviousChapters Next