• Published 21st May 2019
  • 19,204 Views, 2,033 Comments

The Unique Properties of Dark Magic - Shadestyle



Stranded in Equestria's far past in the body of a unicorn without any magical knowledge, the self proclaimed "Weiss Noir" fights for survival in the Frozen North by indulging in sorcery most foul.

  • ...
59
 2,033
 19,204

PreviousChapters Next
(Noir Report) An Aside on Dragonfire

Entry #4, Day 23

While I hold disdain for the only dragon I have met thus far, their behavior has inspired a true respect and fondness for their race. The idea that any creature, living or dead, could experience such depths to their greed is phenomenal. If there existed any pony who could create dragonfire through magic, I would fear them. The amount of greed required to summon up the flames that a dragon wields trivially, I am certain would leave a pony a drooling vegetable on the ground from it's intensity. Despite this, I know there exist dragons that can converse, that can reason, even as from their mind's deepest depths to it's shallowest shores, greed can well up and saturate them.

While I'm uncertain that it is possible to harness dragonfire myself, studying it has given me new insights into the nature of dark magic, and indeed, these revelations may be key in improving other aspects of my magic.

The first and most important thing I have learned from my studies, is the fact that when magic performs, emotion amplifies. Even one's dying gasp could be turned into a veritable storm of magic, if sufficient emotion were present to amplify it. Dark Magic is able to manufacture emotions sufficient to begin casting a spell, but until now, I was unaware of the distinction between a spell's true power, and merely the power it achieves from magical expenditure. This excess emotion amplifying the power of a spell is something that Dark Magic cannot achieve on it's own, and even the blackest of spells can be thrown to greater heights by invoking true, pure emotions from it's caster.

This helps properly explain the problems I once experienced during the casting of spells in strenuous circumstances, my hatred for Sombra, when pulled forth, had made my magic briefly flare out of control once upon a time, turning the small black candle-light I had held into a roaring fire. At the time, I assumed it was due to my feelings impacting my focus, and a lack of control making me spill more energy than I had intended. I know now, however, that the true cause was my magic itself being amplified. Learning to harness and control this will be crucial if I am to gain mastery of magic.

One thing worth mentioning as I conclude my study into dragonfire, is that battling the dragon offered me the opportunity to prove a theory I had held earlier. I now know without a doubt that Royal Crystal Growth is capable of enacting harm on living things. Something which SC3 is extraordinarily difficult to wrench into doing. The power of avariciousness isn't dissuaded so easily from attacking a foe with potentially lethal attacks.

With that said, I now have much more to explore from the Royal Crystal Growth spell. Much, much more.

First and foremost, by using it alongside Black Flames, one can rapidly cause damage to physical structures, igniting them with the flames, and attacking the now weakened object with a nightmarish porcupine of crystal needles which can break through the object and compromise it's structure. By growing crystals from their base instead of their tip, and with a focus on durability and small size rather than sharpness and mass, one can drive spears of the material through many lesser forms of armor, including thinner portions of dragon skin. I'm not sure dragon skin is especially durable, but considering it resisted Black Flames, I deem Royal Crystal Growth a perfectly serviceable combat spell even if only for it's use in rapidly unleashing an attack at medium to close range.

Slower, but no less useful applications of the spell begin to shine through when it is used in a very particular way on existing crystals. By growing Royal Crystal inside of a normal crystal, instead of on it, the tension inside the gem can be increased until it is shattered. Furthermore, by combining Black Flames, Royal Crystals and the patience and assistance of professionals, blades can be crafted whose edges are of a terrifying sharpness.

And of course, among all things dangerous, there is none more dear to my heart than the classic and beloved tactic of simply dropping a weighty object onto a foe. Something which Royal Crystals are able to fulfill. I admit, there's no small irony in the fact that if I attempted to use SC3 around falling rubble, it would likely drive me to save my foe instead of finish them off. Perhaps that thought should be explored to deeper depths. One cannot wrench control over others without living, healthy individuals. Shouldn't that therefore indicate that SC3 could be turned into a spell of healing and defense? Something which protects one's subordinates.

But that will be testing consigned to another entry, for now.

One thing worth mentioning, there are other, even deadlier uses for this spell, ones which I dare not record here. If whomsoever reads this tome were to discover those uses on their own, I pray that you never allow them to come to light. Horde that knowledge jealously, and let it perish with it's owner.

I have also discovered flaws to this spell, ones which may leave it's user indisposed. Most important of which is the fondness one invariably develops for the things they create with it. I've found myself unable to bring myself to use superior products for my own armor if I can instead produce acceptable armor myself. The pride and enjoyment I've found in creating things from nothing but my mind and my magic is one that I am familiar with, but I feel may be unduly amplified by the sensations of intense greed and arrogance I experience during the casting of the spell.

There is a satisfaction that emerges in a pony which blends so well with the greed that Royal Crystal Growth invokes, and where Greed, Pride and Enjoyment intersect, one cannot help but adore the works that their own selves have wrought, even if objectively, they have not produced the most superior examples of a given thing.

PreviousChapters Next