• Published 21st May 2019
  • 19,204 Views, 2,033 Comments

The Unique Properties of Dark Magic - Shadestyle



Stranded in Equestria's far past in the body of a unicorn without any magical knowledge, the self proclaimed "Weiss Noir" fights for survival in the Frozen North by indulging in sorcery most foul.

  • ...
59
 2,033
 19,204

PreviousChapters Next
(Weiss Report) Fanservice [Divine Words]

Princess Celestia, I believe I've found something interesting, I've never heard of spells or artifacts that enhance magic like this before.

If we could reproduce it, it could enrich the lives of unicorns across Equestria, discounting the benefits it could have for the Royal Guard.


Entry Number Four, Day Sixty-Five

Oh yeah, this one's not getting out any time soon. The last thing I want right now is an amplifier like this getting into the wrong hands. Maybe I'll release it to the public after I've defeated all my enemies or something.

I've figured out a way to make my magic hit harder. And it's honestly a pretty simple method. It's all about optics. Light alteration. I can cast all of my spells tethered to Unicorn Lights, which means that anything that can affect light can thus affect my spells. I first realized the potential when one of my spells bounced off a mirror and made me just a little bit balder than normal.

Unicorns can naturally make their horns emit lasers, but what they can't do is narrow those lasers without intense focus and practice, something that just isn't combat viable. Until now, anyway. Why do it yourself when you can do it with golems? Thus, I've created what are basically magic circles. Masses of enchanted levitating powder, made of the highest quality clear-sapphire crystal I can have produced, and enchanted with regeneration and clarity charms. I shout a code word, and the flakes of gem arrange themselves into whatever magic altering construct I need, combining with one another to form floating lenses, prisms and mirrors to harness a spell I fire off and transform it's light into far more destructive and refined forms.

I believe I'll call this type of enchanted, reshaping powder... a "Noble Phantasm"

I'll have to get into the habit of matching spells to "Divine Words", since the enchanted dust responds to verbal commands.

The first and most important codeword, of course, being "Ultima". Named after Final Fantasy's famous spell, I've set this codeword to make the enchanted powder form a circular screen which converts light passing through it into stuttered pulses. Why is this so important? Namely, because lasers have a major flaw. when striking an object, the debris and plume of gasses created by a laser striking it can actually obscure the object, stealing from the laser's efficiency. By stuttering the laser, I can make a spell like Black Flame chew through an object nearly twice as fast as it had been able to before.

Indeed, any spell that emits dust, a plume of plasma, or which relies on intense heat to destroy a target would benefit by being passed through the Ultima Magic Circle first.

The second codeword, "Backlash Wave", arranges the golems into a specialized combat mode, in which they intercept any unicorn light being emitted anywhere near me, reflecting and refracting it into a beam pointed in the same direction as my head. This mode ensures that I can turn spells that my enemies cast back against them, combining their power with mine and resulting in potentially devastating attacks. In theory, at least. I don't have any unicorns on hand to test it.

Codeword number three, "Death Beam". This codeword is one of the simplest, as it simply forms magic circles in front of me which act as lenses, turning my magic attacks into much thinner magic attacks. A thinner, more potent laser of magic can boost the effectiveness of my spells where they impact at very little cost to myself, especially when I'm performing some sort of sweeping effect, instead of focusing on a single target.

And, finally, among my general use codewords, a codeword near and dear to my heart, "Z-Target". This codeword is special, as the enchanted powder will begin to reshape itself in such a way that if I cast a spell, it will be split up among several targets that I focus on with my eyes beforehand, allowing me to make a spell weaker, in return for allowing it to instantaneously strike multiple targets at once.

The current flaw of Divine Words is the powder itself. It is too small to hold the more intelligent systems I've invented recently, and I hesitate to make be controlled by a true, solid golem core, for fear that it might be destroyed in the middle of a fight, leaving my combat capabilities crippled. As it stands, I cannot combine codewords, and to add new codewords, I have to make an entirely new batch of enchanted powder. For now, however, this will certainly give me an edge that I desperately need. I'm not sure if it can hold up in combat, but Divine Words, along with some other research I've been performing, will give me a major advantage, one that will let me survive if I encounter powerful foes in the future.

Ultimately, the nature of my Noble Phantasm is one of utility. It gives my magic a much needed boost in accuracy and refinement, a set of training wheels that can prop up my lack of skill with artificial skill. By improving this indulgence, and increasing my own personal power in tandem with the efficiency given by this creation, I'll finally have a foothold to gain enough raw combat potential to defend myself in this world. But a creation like this can't be proven useful in test chambers, it can't be proven lethal against training dummies. I'll have to forge this weapon on the battlefield, sooner or later. Only by pushing the limits of this magical technology and myself, only by using every trick, every cheat and exploit that I can find, will I be able to match the terrifying monsters that seek me out.

I don't ever want to feel like I did that day again.


Is is indeed interesting, Sunset, but unfortunately, without Crystal Ponies, I fear reproducing this particular invention of Weiss's may prove... Difficult.

Nonetheless, I find myself curious, and will have my artificers see if they can reproduce it. I always have wondered why he used those magic circles . Now I know.

PreviousChapters Next