• Published 21st May 2019
  • 19,305 Views, 2,035 Comments

The Unique Properties of Dark Magic - Shadestyle



Stranded in Equestria's far past in the body of a unicorn without any magical knowledge, the self proclaimed "Weiss Noir" fights for survival in the Frozen North by indulging in sorcery most foul.

  • ...
59
 2,035
 19,305

PreviousChapters Next
(That Book)

Shouldst thou seek to awaken oneself in the way of feelings heretofore untapped by the waking mind, there exists a magical spell that shall allow one to conquer that of oneself which they can no longer abide by the dominance of.

But reader, be forewarned, for while this spell can allow thou to conquer the feelings thou deem unfit to rule over thee, the means by which thou shalt do so in the feeling of this magic shall be one fraught with peril, for the thing thou shall create shall be as thou art. It shall possess that which thou possesses. It shalt know thee, and thou shalt know it. Thine fate shall be shared with the forme born of this magic, and so long as the creature of this spell yet lives, thou shalt slowly find its use to be worthless.

The longer thou leavest this magical beast undefeated, the more alike thou two shall become. However, thou must not slay it by thine own hoof, for to slay it would be to share in that fate. Furthermore, thou must not allow it to be slain by the hoof of another, lest the spell be broken prematurely.

Thou must defeat it, completely and utterly, for to conquer thy own emotions, thou must use the warfare of the heart to fight, and not the weapons and magics of the body. For it is simple to break apart a pony's flesh and bone, but to break their spirit requires true resolve. Only in their despair shalt the bonds between thou and thine spell be severed, and its purpose fulfilled.

Shouldst thou seek still the fate of the conqueror, then shalt thou see the method of this magic;

Shalt thou take the dream where one saw regret in the eyes of a lover, and it shall be wrapped tightly within the heart of darkness where one once dwelt.

This parcel shall then be pierced by the awakening to a new dawn, and it shall be pierced as well by the sight of a burning home, and the flames that one saw in the reflections of a mirror.

The parcel shall bloom, and must be fed with the memory of new grain, where the grain has been tempered with the first cut one felt as a child, and its shocked silence.

It shall bloom, and in that bloom one must look to the stars, and remember then the time when it was wondered what orb lay beyond them.

What upon that orb is so crucial, so fleeting, that the dream of that distant sphere yet appears in the mind, where no meeting has yet been had. What imaginings could be born, then, without a reason to imagine them?

Indeed, then, shall the caster feel what curious feelings would be felt by the fleeting, crucial things upon that distant orb? Shall the caster be imagined by what lay upon it?

Yes. The confidence of this be true, that what imagines is then imagined. What is reasoned thus reasons. That if there should be that distant orb among the stars or beyond, that it should house what could be, what could have been.

This which could have been, thou reader, shall be thy trial. Thou shalt thus, upon feeling this spell as one does, bear witness to a star in the night, cast upon the land where no pony has trod. Thou must not interfere, for fate is cruel and petty towards those unwilling to play upon its board.

The thing thou hast created, then, will possess thine talent, without knowing why, for the talent of a pony is their fate. In turn, then shalt thou know the imaginings of thine creation, and the spirit claimed to inhibit it, for in the imagination lay the fate of that distant sphere, for in that dream of far off places, one only finds places of dreams.

Thou shalt face a being with the mind of a distant land, one who draws upon naught but a pale shadow of thine talents given freely to them. And to defeat them, ye foal, thou must learn what they would teach.

And they shalt teach much indeed.


"Is this what you wanted to show me, Weiss? It's interesting, to say the least."


"God, I hate how shitty these books are at explaining spells. They really should use plain English for them, there's a hundred words for a hundred emotions, and instead the morons writing these books feel like jerking off their own literary superiority with incomprehensible prose."

"Distant orbs? Imagination? I don't even know what this spell is supposed to do, beyond apparently making some kind of creature piloted by some kind of spirit, and that's if this whole thing isn't just some metaphor."

"It..."

"It would draw upon a pale shadow of the caster's talents..."

"You would know the imaginings of the creation, and the spirit that inhabits it."

"To imagine is to be imagined..."

"...This can't be right... It can't be."

"Is that why I'm here? This spell?"

"The longer the caster goes without 'defeating' their creation, the more alike they become. Is that why I've gotten so good at Dark Magic? Why all of this empire-building shit came so easy? God, Dark Magic always was so simple to me, so trivial. I thought I just had a talent for it, but if this damn spell is right, then.. Then it's just his talent! Do I even have one of my own? God Damn it!"

"He knows, he knows all the stupid quotes from all the stupid cartoons I've ever watched. He knew the perfect things to say to break me down, he was trying to break me down this entire time."

"Why did he try to kill me? Did he not know? Why would he have tried to pull that migrant iron shit if it would just have gotten him killed too? Did he not care? Did he not believe that the spell would actually kill him if I died? Did he know something I didn't?"

"I don't understand, am I really going to become more and more like that bastard? Share his fate?"

"I..."

"I'm scared, Luna."

"I know, Weiss. This isn't the first time we've spoken of this tome."

"...I know. I didn't want to remember, did I?"

"You did not. But know this, Weiss, no matter what happens, you are my friend. Even fate is helpless in the face of friendship."

"Right. I think I'm ready to remember this. I can face this, if I have my friends by my side."

"Even if I am scared of what comes next."

Author's Note:

Get ready, folks. It won't be long now.

PreviousChapters Next