• Published 21st May 2019
  • 19,336 Views, 2,035 Comments

The Unique Properties of Dark Magic - Shadestyle



Stranded in Equestria's far past in the body of a unicorn without any magical knowledge, the self proclaimed "Weiss Noir" fights for survival in the Frozen North by indulging in sorcery most foul.

  • ...
59
 2,035
 19,336

PreviousChapters Next
(Noir Report) Establishing a Metric of Measurement [Spell Rankings]

Entry #14, Day 101

For the sake of regulating magic in the Shadow Realm, such that our guiding principles of Safety, Secrecy, and Dramatic Monologuing are adhered to, I have decided to publish my standardized method of ranking spells, on a scale from F to SSS. These rankings will be used to help label enchanted items, Materia, and recorded spells, based on their creator's personal strength.

We will start with the lowest and weakest spells, labeled Rank-F Magic. Magic of this rank can be cast with a mere third of the caster's strength, or less. Spells of this class are the most basal, small fireballs, pulses of magic, and brief surges of strength all fall under the umbrella of F-Ranked magic.

Next, D-Rank Magic, which requires two thirds of a pony's magical capacity. Spells of this rank should be logically considered to be roughly twice as powerful and demanding as spells of the F-Rank, and treated with the same caution that one would treat a weapon, as spells of this rank represent magic which could exhaust a pony to cast more than once in a short enough timespan.

Finally, the highest rank of magic that is possible to cast with a single pony's power, a C-Rank spells. Spells of this rank are ones which would completely exhaust a given caster's magical energy, bringing them to their dregs in only a single use. Spells of this class are restricted in the Shadow Realm, due to the risk of driving a pony to unconsciousness, if they abused a spell of this rank while being below their maximum magical capacity.

After this, spells are no longer ranked by the creator's capacity, but by timespan. A spell of the B-Rank, for instance, represents a spell which would require that it's creator spend a continuous hour of casting in order to match it's output. Spells of this rank are expressly forbidden to be used without the standardized two-witness system, of one witness on-site, and one witness via telepresence. This is due to the danger of activating spells which, when created at this level of power, could vary from destroying buildings to triggering cave-ins, in the case of destructive or elemental magic.

As those who live in the Shadow Realm may attest to, B-Rank spells are not to be trifled with, as my own Dragon of the Darkness Flame technique is merely a B-Rank spell.

A-Rank, S-Rank, and SS-Rank spells continue this trend, at 2, 3, and 4 hours of continuous casting respectively. These spells are restricted exclusively to those who obtain a licence for high order magic, and must have witnesses who hold official rank in the Shadow Realm's Hierarchy.

The final, and highest rank of spell is forbidden to be cast without my personal presence and express approval. An SSS Rank spell is any spell which requires upwards of 4 hours to cast for it's creator. Spells of this rank could risk mass-infrastructural damage to an entire cell of the Shadow Realm. Any attempts to prepare or cast a spell of this magnitude in defiance of these rules, I would like to re-iterate, will be heavily punished.

In the future, these Spell Rankings may be used from time to time in the Grimoire Noir, in reference to specific feats of magic, such that readers may obtain a crude metric by which to measure the power and difficulty of a given spell. I understand that this means by which to measure a spell's power is subjective, rather than the objective means by which other authors choose to measure spell power, and that is intentional on my part.

The methods by which one learns magic are subjective. Indeed, the methods by which one casts magic are subjective. In it's purest form, the Grimoire Noir is designed to give ponies tools, tools of the mind through which they can establish their own perfected methods of spellcasting, rather than the emulation that other books attempt. By using a subjective metric to mark my spells, those who study this tome are given no false pretense of what they should expect from their own attempts. Only the information that I myself have obtained, in as objective a format as I can dare to manage when describing powers born from the heart.

In that same manner, I urge any prospective spellcasters to one day take account in their own words, and develop their own methods of sorting the talents they have in ways they understand. I cannot, nor can any other sages create a perfect series of boxes, that all things magical can be placed within and sorted neatly into. It is up to the individual pony to grow and establish the boundaries of their abilities. Both of what they are capable of, and what they can become capable of. To do otherwise would be a travesty against the latent potential that a pony has to establish for themselves a talent that makes them wholly unique.

There are those among us that can create finer cut gems than I could, with the greatest of ease. There are those who can create medicines able to cure ailments that I could not even diagnose. There are warriors whose hooves are stronger than iron, and whose kicks cut like diamond. Among those, brave and meek alike, there are an assortment of talents which I simply do not have. Talents which I could never hope to aspire beyond with my own work.

What I can offer is a simplistic tome that offers whomever reads it a comprehensive guide in the art of harnessing their negative emotions, in twisting them into powerful magics. I can offer fires from the pits of hell, I can offer cutting winds and heavy stones, created through petty spite and greedy covetousness. I can offer golems and darkness, and sorcery most foul, but it is up to you, the reader, to turn my words into deeds. A day may even come when my work in the Dark Arts is held in the same esteem as a child's paintings. Naive and crude, from a time so early that it is viewed with amused pity.

And if it should come in my lifetime, I will simply have to grow ever stronger and more knowledgeable in response.

PreviousChapters Next