• Published 29th Apr 2019
  • 1,360 Views, 6 Comments

Fluttering Wall - Draxonos135



Everybody needs someone in their life, especially the forgotten.

  • ...
1
 6
 1,360

Flutterflower

Wallflower Blush was watering the plants in the gardening club, of which she was the sole member. It had been over a week since the events of her usage of the Memory Stone, so, with most people's memory of the event being fresh, they weren't willing enough to believe she wouldn't cause trouble again.

That, and the fact Blush was so forgettable in the first place, that probably didn't help.

Nevertheless, Wallflower wasn't that saddened: She had long accepted the fact nobody would ever remember her. If anything, she was relieved they now had a reason to do so.

It hurt, but it made sense.

"Um, h-hello?"

Wallflower turned around the instant she heard the door open, and spotted a familiar face entering the room.

It was Fluttershy.

"It's you..." Wallflower remarked as she quickly went back to her plants. "One of Sunset Shimmer's friends, right?"

"Y-Yeah, my name is Fluttershy," the yellow-skinned girl said as she walked to Wallflower's side. "Your name is Wallflower Blush, right?"

The nature lover rolled her eyes.

"Yes, I'm assuming Sunset told you my name?"

"Well, uh-"

"Treasure your knowledge about it however long you can: As soon as you stop talking to me, you'll forget it was ever in your mind."

Fluttershy stepped back, caught utterly off-guard by the cynicism exhibitted by the girl. Sunset did warn her that Wallflower Blush could be a bit pessimistic, but she didn't think it would be to this extent.

"So, what are you doing here?"

Fluttershy returned to reality the instant she heard those words, and in preparation, she took a deep breath, and clasped her hands as she revealed her intention.

"I want to become friends with you."

Wallflower nearly dropped the watering can as soon as she heard the statement. A light chuckle probably would've escaped her mouth, too, if she wasn't in such a bad mood at the moment.

Which is also why she refused to buy that being Fluttershy's real objective.

"If you need some kind of specific plant for your animals, just say so; There's no need to become friends with me just to get a favor."

Fluttershy scratched her head. "I-I'm not lying when I say I want to become friends with you."

Wallflower put the can down, turned to face Fluttershy, and folded her arms.

"Seriously? You want to become friends with the person that practically erased your friendship with... Sunset... and the others, with a magic stone?!"

Fluttershy shrugged with a sheepish smile.

"It's kind of our thing."

"I don't care if it's "your thing" or if that's what's popular right now!" Wallflower snapped, suddenly raising her voice. "I did a bad thing, for bad reasons, that affected you and your friends! You shouldn't be wanting to be my friend, you should want me to vanish from the face of the Earth, or at least avoid me for the rest of the school year!"

"Well, while I think what you're saying is a bit extreme, I can't really argue with you either," Fluttershy somberly replied. "But, I talked about this with the girls, and we agreed that you seem like someone who needs a friend."

"I need another club member than I need a friend! 'Cause in case you haven't noticed, I'm all alone here: I tend to the plants alone, I water the plants alone, and I close the classroom, go to my classes, go back home, rinse and repeat all year long-"

Wallflower stomped the ground.

"ALONE!!!!!"

Fluttershy could only blink twice afterwards, left speechless by Wallflower's outburst. In fact, all she could do was silently stare at the girl as she took several deep breaths, slowly but surely calming down until she was back to her stable, if deadpan, state.

"W-Well, how about I join the gardening club?"

"...What?"

"Yeah, I could join your club, and you wouldn't have to do anything in this clubroom alone again."

Wallflower put her hands on her hips. "Aren't you part of a club already? I mean, you're the caretaker for several animals, right?"

Fluttershy scratched the back of her head. "That's more of a hobby than a club activity, really-"

Suddenly, Wallflower presented the application form to Fluttershy.

"Fine, if you're going to insist, here's the application form. Fill it up, come back to me-if you still remember me by then, that is-and I'll "gladly" let you join the club."

Fluttershy frowned. "Why did you say gladly with air quotes?"

"Because I'm never going to get to let you join, because you'll forget about it eventually."

Finally starting to grow exasperated with the girl's attitude, Fluttershy narrowed her eyes with determination.

"Wallflower, I promise you that I'll fill this form, and join your club, no matter what-"

And she turned back as soon as Wallflower shot a glare at her.

"Don't lie to me! Once this day is over and you go home, you will forget who I was, the promise you made to me, and the fact you ever tried to cheer me up, just like everyone does!"

Fluttershy frowned, but remained silent as the girl continued:

"Which is why I'm hesitant about trusting you'll remember me: You seem like someone who wants to help everybody however you can, and who'd be upset if she can't do that."

Fluttershy frowned. "Wallflower..."

"It would hurt enough to be forgotten already, it would only hurt even more if forgetting me would hurt you too."

The animal-loving girl, seeing the nondescript girl wiping the tears off her face, smiled and put a hand on her shoulder.

"How about we do this: I'll come back tomorrow, after filing the application form to join the club, and until then you can think about if you really don't want to become my friend, okay?"

Wallflower lowered her head until her hair obscured her eyes.

"You'll just forget about it. That's what always happens."

Fluttershy smiled, leaned to the girl's ear, and whispered.

"Don't worry, I'll prove you wrong."

And so, Fluttershy left the clubroom as Wallflower kept her head down for a moment, only looking up once the girl had left and closed the door.

The girl's expression seemed to have the slightest bits of hope emanating out of it, though her upset exterior made it difficult for it to stand out. Nevertheless, one thing was clear.

She was hoping Fluttershy really would prove her wrong.


The next day came, and Wallflower was once again watering and tending to the plants filling the clubroom.

New day, same old stuff.

A little variation, however, came when Fluttershy once again entered the room, which was shocking enough for the easily-forgotten character.

What shocked her even more was what she showed her next: The filled application form.

"Here you go, the application form, fully filled out, and now all that's left is for you to accept it."

Wallflower grabbed the form, and as she verified that yes, it was completely filled out, a sense of hope started surging through her. Hope that she would finally earn another member who enjoyed gardening as much as she did, or at least somebody to talk to, and keep her company.

But she knew better than to foolishly fall for it at first glance.

"I'm sorry, perhaps you got the wrong club? This is clear the application form for the Gardening Club."

Fluttershy lowered her eyelids.

"This is the Gardening Club."

Another shock struck Wallflower. Usually people would confuse the club for something else and leave in search for the right one.

Call it a curse, call it a coincidence, but the gardening club seemed to suffer the same problem Wallflower faced: Being incredibly forgettable.

That Fluttershy could still remember what club it was couldn't be a coincidence.

"Alright then, you're right, this is the Gardening Club," Wallflower looked at the form and rolled her eyes. "Now, I wonder where the club founder and president is at. I bet she could be somewhere around her, or somewhere else."

Fluttershy giggled.

"But she's already here."

Wallflower continued the act. "Oh really? Then where is she, if I may ask?"

Fluttershy put a hand on the girl's head.

"It's you, Wallflower Blush."

The girl instantly felt a sense of enlightment upon hearing her name being said, which also caused several statements to flash in her mind.

"Oh, the president's not here, I'll

Some managed to remember to fill out the application form and deliver it.

Some managed to remember this was the Gardening Club.

But nobody, absolutely nobody had ever remembered that Wallflower Blush herself was the president, and founder, of the club.

And here was Fluttershy, the sole person to remember that simple fact.

"You... remembered my name?"

Fluttershy nodded with a reassuring smile, and Blush began... well, blushing and shedding tears as she realized what she thought impossible had finally happened:

Someone remembered her!

"You... remembered my name!"

Wallflower immediately went up to Fluttershy and hugged her, with the yellow girl being caught off-guard by the gesture for a moment before she smiled, and returned the hug.

"Nobody's ever remembered my name before!"

Wallflower looked up to Fluttershy.

"So, how did you do it?"

Fluttershy beamed a smile.

"I promised you I would deliver the application form once it was finished, and I never break a promise."

Then, she rubbed the girl's vine-like hair.

"And besides, I want to become your friend so you're no longer alone all the time, just like how I used to be."

Wallflower smiled, separated from Fluttershy, and looked back at the form.

"Well, I glady accept you into the club: No strings attached."

"That's good, but before do anything else, we should try to get more members."

Wallflower raised an eyebrow. "Why's that?"

Fluttershy tilted her head. "'Cause Principal Celestia's planning to abolish the club due to lack of members."

Wallflower dropped the form in shock.

"Don't just throw that with a straight face after the moment we just shared!"

Fluttershy giggled and gently hit her head as she took out her tone.

This, along with her good mood, left Wallflower unable to stay angry at Fluttershy for long.

"Well, if that's what she's planning to do, then the only thing left to do is find new members."

Fluttershy extended her hand towards Blush.

"Together?"

Wallflower glanced at the hand, looked back at Fluttershy's face, and beamed a smile as she shook hands with her.

"Together."

Comments ( 6 )

GAH! THE FEELS!
In all honesty though, this is a good story. Kudos!

And, I thought Sunset Shimmer was the only one who understands Wallflower Blush. Bravo, Draxonos.

I could hear Fluttershy's frustration hissing like a pressure cooker about to blow its valve to bits when she "lowered her eyelids."

It was glorious.

This story's premise was cute and Fluttershy and Wallflower were in character as far as I know. The execution was only lacking in the narration; I found the plot to flow naturally and its pace correct.

I suggest using pronouns or the character's actual names instead of things like "the yellow-skinned girl" or "the nature lover." There's only one time where a pronoun would lead to the confusion usually found when two people of the same gender interact, and it can be solved simply by writing "Then, she rubbed Wallflower's hair" instead of "Then, she rubbed the girl's vine-like hair."

I also suggest foreshadowing the development at the end of the story. Something as simple as Wallflower expecting Celestia to have forgotten the Gardening Club even exists could work. It's not actually necessary, but would add some humorous irony if that interests you.

It might be a good idea to choose either "Wallflower" or "Blush" and stick to it throughout the narration rather than switch randomly between the two as well.

I found three typos;

Which is also why she refused to buy that being Fluttershy's real objective.

Which was also why she refused to buy that being Fluttershy's real objective.

I need another club member than I need a friend!

I need another club member more than I need a friend!

This is clear the application form for the Gardening Club.

This is clearly the application form for the Gardening Club.

As well as two parts I feel could be improved by removing repetition;

Fluttershy frowned, but remained silent as the girl continued:

"Which is why I'm hesitant about trusting you'll remember me: You seem like someone who wants to help everybody however you can, and who'd be upset if she can't do that."

Fluttershy frowned. "Wallflower..."

Fluttershy frowned, but remained silent as the girl continued:

"Which is why I'm hesitant about trusting you'll remember me: You seem like someone who wants to help everybody however you can, and who'd be upset if she can't do that."

Fluttershy's frown deepened. "Wallflower..."

What shocked her even more was what she showed her next: The filled application form.

"Here you go, the application form, fully filled out, and now all that's left is for you to accept it."

What shocked her even more was what she showed her next.

"Here you go, the application form, fully filled out, and now all that's left is for you to accept it."

From the lines following the sentence, I also feel ""So, how did you do it?"" works better as ""So, why did you do it?""

And I don't know what's supposed to go on with the interrupted line ""Oh, the president's not here, I'll"

Like I said at the beginning, most of this story's flaws come from the narration—flaws you have largely solved in your following story, incidentally.

This was a cute story! I really enjoyed it. I love how you wrote it.

Aww. This was so cute.

Very cute story.:heart:

This sentence is kind of just hanging around unfinished though.:unsuresweetie:

"Oh, the president's not here, I'll

You might want to fix it.:twilightblush:

Login or register to comment