• Published 20th Feb 2019
  • 1,466 Views, 34 Comments

Prehistoric Thunder: a Power Rangers story - TheHardie-Boy



Three retired crime fighters enter Equestria in order to stop an old foe

  • ...
5
 34
 1,466

Eternal extinction

Connor, Ethan, Kira, and Trent stood and faced their worst enemy: Mesagog. He was just as ugly as ever. “You rangers have been a thorn in my side for too long. It is now time for me to destroy, so I can then move on to destroying that traitor, Zeltrax,” he said, or really just whispered eerily. “We beat you once we’ll beat you again,” said Trent. “Only half of that statement is true, white ranger. You don’t have Dr. Oliver to protect you now,” retorted Mesagog.

Twilight and the others were still trying to wrap their heads around exactly what they were looking at. It looked like a human, but its head was huge. Those teeth were just so long. Those claws were just so sharp. All in all, it looked like a lab experiment gone horribly, horribly wrong.

“Are we gonna do this or what?” Connor shouted. “If you wish, red ranger. But I must warn you, luck is no longer on your side,” said Mesagog. The rangers charged at Mesagog, who took his sweet time. Once contact was finally made, Mesagog came alive. He was faster than all of the rangers combined. Only problem: he wasn’t fast enough to counter and attack. The rangers tried everything to blasting him, slashing him, and using their individual weapons. Twilight tried to find an opening, but the monster was just way too fast for her to get a clear shot. Out of nowhere, Mesagog came flying and took her down with a devastating attack. She hit the ground with an audible ‘thud’ and clenched her left wing.

“TWILIGHT!” Starlight yelled. Total anger controlled her next couple of actions. She charged her horn and galloped as fast as she could at the ugly creature. It just responded by grabing her by the horn and slammming her into the ground several times. Applejack tried to attack Mesagog, but her attempt only directed his attention to her. He held her by the mane and swung her like a mace, until her swung her at her friends. Twilight, Starlight, and now Applejack were all down for the count.

The rangers tried to go into super mode and use that to attack Mesagog. To their credit, they did manage to land a couple of strong blows that did hurt Mesagog, but he responded by using his telepathy to attack their minds. Each of the rangers slowly fell down to the ground, de-morphed and wincing in extreme pain. Rainbow tried to get up to help, but her injuries from before were too much for her to stand. Still, she had to try something; she was not going to let that thing destroy her friends.

“This is pathetic, but I can’t really be surprised. I guess it really was just a fluke when you beat me before,” Mesagog said as he began to charge his final attack. Before he could fire it, there was a blast of pure light upon him. He was forced back until he was no only out of town, but several hundred miles from town. Princess Celestia turned to see that the rangers, along with a few of her subjects were unconscious. She used her magic to levitate them one by one into the castle.

Later

Connor’s vision was blurry. He could just make out a cyan blur on top of him. His ears were also ringing very loudly, but he could still make out the words “Connor! Wake up! Please!” When his vision and hearing both came back, he realized that this was all coming from Rainbow Dash, who looked like she had been crying a bit. “What happened?” he asked her. She responded by taking him in a tight embrace. When the hug was broken, she backed away. Connor saw that his friends were just now coming to. Slowly, the events of a few hours prior had come back to him: the rock monster, Rainbow getting hurt, becoming the Triassic Ranger, using the Mezadon, facing off with Zeltrax, and unleashing Mesagog. When he remembered that last part, he hung his head in shame.

“Connor, what’s wrong?” Rainbow asked, concerned. “It’s my fault that Mesagog is out and about again. If only I had taken my time...” Connor was cut off by Celestia raising her hoof. “It is not your fault. There was nothing more you could have done to stop it,” she reasoned. After she said that, the unconscious Starlight, Twilight, and Apllejack woke up. “W-What happened?” Applejack asked. “I unleashed Mesagog on Equestria, and he kicked our butts,” Connor said. “I just said it wasn’t your fault. No matter, there’s no doubt he will be back. We need to prepare,” Celestia said. “How’d you even get rid of him?” Ethan asked. “I sensed that I could not defeat him on my own, so I pushed him far away from here,” she replied.

Trent’s mind was going in circles. They may have not had Dr. O to help them now, but they could simply unleash the full power of the Dino Gems. But if they did that, there would be no way to stop Zeltrax afterward. They could use the gem power on Zeltrax, but then they would stand less than no chance against Mesagog. There were just tooo many enemies to deal with. Then he got an idea.

“Hey Ethan, is Zeltrax currently in Ponyville?” Trent asked. “I don’t believe so. Why do you ask?” Ethan responded. “Mesagog said that after he was finished with us, he would go after Zeltrax. I was thinking that if we could get those two face to face, they would duke it out long enough for us to take them both out at once,” Trent said. “That’s a good idea, but we’d need to know where both of them are. While we can probably track Mesagog down, we have no clue where Zeltrax is,” Twilight pointed out.

“What about the Elements of Harmony?” Starlight put in. “What about them?” said Twilight. “Maybe we can combine the power of those along with your guys’ powers,” she said. “I guess it’s worth a try. Unless any of you have a better idea,” Kira said. When no one answered, she said, “Alright, let’s go get ‘em.”

The rangers and the mane six made their way across Ponyville. Strangely, there was no sign of any villains. Once they arrived at the Tree of Harmony, the mane got their elements. While Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, and Rarity all had necklaces, Twilight had a crown. The minute they put on their elements, a huge swarm of Tyrannadrones appeared. There were at least a coup,e thousand. “I’ve never seen this many at once,” Connor said. “I guess Mesagog decided to pull out all the stops,” Ethan replied.

With looks of determination, everyone and everypony charged into battle, even Fluttershy and Rarity. The two of them showed no fear. The took down Tyrannadrones using Rarity’s magic and Fluttershy’s mane. They were unstoppable. Applejack was having the time of her life. She just charged and bucked at anything and everything that got near her. She even nearly bucked Starlight. Speaking of which, Starlight was doing her best to take down as many Tyrannadrones she could. At one point, she even caught herself counting. Twilight was barely thinking with how much fun she was having. Now that she could take these things down, she would take full advantage of it. She even tried out a new spell she had been working on. She lassoed several hundred Tyrannadrones together and blasted them into rubble. Rainbow Dash used her flight to cause the Tyrannadrones to get caught in a fierce wind. They all went flying as Rainbow did her Sonic Rainboom to finish them all off.

The rangers were at the top of their game. Connor used his Tyrannostaff to repeatedly slash at several Tyrannadrones. He had never felt so good fighting these things. He even borrowed a technique from Trent by running past them repeatedly while striking them down. Ethan used his shield to push back several Tyrrandrones into each other. Their clumsiness pretty much finished them off from there. He used his Dino Power to block attacks and deal his own. Eventually, he resorted to throwing his shield at a large group. Kira was using her daggers to continuously slash at enemies. They wouldn’t stop attacking her, but she stood her ground. The Tyrannadrones were dropping like flies. Kira took a deep breath and roared at any nearby enemies to finish them off. Trent was using his saber to quickly slash at anything near him. The enemy didn’t even know what hit them until they were on the ground. He used his usual attack to take down whatever he saw was left. The enemy didn’t stand a chance.

Once the Tyrannadrones were reduced to just a normal swarm, the rangers drew their blasters and finished them off. “Let’s give the same treatment to Mesagog,” Connor said. “I wouldn’t be too cocky, red ranger,” said the eerie whisper from before. Everyone turned to see Mesagog was now here to finish what he had started. “You do not stand a chance against me. This isn’t even my final form,” Mesagog taunted. “If you think he’s ugly now, wait ‘till he finished his transformation,” Connor whispered to Rainbow.

Mesa got slightly increased in size. His claws grew to at least three feet long. His neck grew by a couple feet as well. To finish his transformation, his head became bigger and his teeth stuck out. Mesagog was now in the same form he had used to nearly destroy the rangers back on Earth, and it was disgusting.

“Let’s show this guy everything we’ve got,” Trent said. With that, he, Kira, and Ethan started their transformation into their Super Dino Mode. Connor, however, pulled out the Shield of Triumph and used it to once again become the Triassic Ranger. All four of them charged into battle in hopes to finish off Mesagog, once and for all. They were a lot more equally matched than before. Trent was able to use his blades to block Mesagog’s oncoming attacks. He tried to use them to attack, but Mesagog blocked his attempts. Kira used her wing suit to get above Mesagog and attack from above. She threw her daggers at him, causing him to direct his attention to her. This gave Ethan the opportunity to give a hard thrust using his shield. Mesa got fell over and attempted to attack using his tail. Trent used his speed to get Ethan out of the tail’s way, and slashed at Mesagog with his saber. Mesagog had enough. He used his powers to lift Trent, Ethan, and Kira into the air. Before he could do any real damage, Connor attacked his. With the power of the shield, Connor was able to block all of Mesagog’s attacks. He even was able to land his own attack.

“If we’re gonna do this, we’ve gotta do it now!” Twilight told the Rangers. “Right, let’s put ‘em together guys!” Connor said. He, Ethan, and Kira combined their weapons and held up the Z-Rex blaster and aimed it at Mesagog. Trent began building energy in his blades as he did before. Twilight and the other ponies focused as their Elemis began to glow. “Impossible!You cannot defeat me!” Mesagog tried to warn. But the rangers and the ponies unleashed all of their attacks at once. They all hit hard at Mesagog, and he finally fell down and exploded. “WE DID IT!” Connor cheered as he and the others all began to celebrate, and he pulled Rainbow into a hug. Rainbow couldn’t help but blush at the action.

Before any,ore could be done, however, Mesagog arose once again from the clearing smoke. “I told you that you couldn’t beat me,” he taunted. He then started to grow. He was now as tall as the zords. “Are the zords even strong enough to beat this guy?” Trent asked. “Well, we’re about find out,” Kira replied. With that, the rangers called upon every zord they had: the tyrannozord, the tricerazord, the pterzord, the dragozord, the stegozords, and pefalazord, the dimetrezord, and the Mezadon. They tyrranozord combined with the tricerazord, the pterozord, and the dimetrezord, while the dragon zord combined with the stegozord and the pefalazord. The Mezadon folded up and got into its battle mode. The three newly formed Megazords now stood face to face with Mesagog.

Kira and Ethan threw the terra-boomerang to start the fight, and Mesagog blocked it. He then attacked with his own beam, sending them flying back. Trent tried to attack with the pefalazord, but Mesagog caught it and began slashing away at Trent’s Megazord. Connor attacked with his axes and got Mesagog to release his grip on Trent. He then began to attack head on. Mesagog took a single shot before countering with his claws.

On the ground, the ponies were watching the fight unfold. “Isn’t there some way we can help them?” Rainbow asked. “Not u less Twilight knows a spell that can make us grow to THAT size. I know I don’t,” Starlight replied. “I’m afraid I don’t know any growth spells, girls. They’re on their own,” Twilight put in. Rainbow hated the thought of just being on the sidelines, especially because of her newly developed feelings for Connor.

The rangers tried their best to attack without being attacked, but Mesagog was just too strong. He would strike anything down as soon as it got in range. Kira and Ethan tried the saw, but Mesagog wouldn’t give them enough time to get it up to speed.

Unknown by all, Zeltrax appeared on a mountain with a remote in his hand. All he needed to do was press the button and his plan would finally come to be. He decided to wait just a minute to see if the rangers could pull off an upset on Mesagog. After all, this would be the last fight of their lives. He waited for a few more minutes until he activated his remote. He felt a huge wave of energy flow through him as a force field formed around him. He had to build the last beacon into his own armor to activate all of them.

Twilight looked over and saw Zeltrax. “Maybe, there is something we can do. Look over there,” Twilight said. The others looked saw Zeltrax. “We have to stop whatever he’s doing,” Rainbow said. She flew at him, ready to take him down for good. But when she went to attack, she was stopped short of him. She hit the force field that formed. Twilight tried to blast him with her magic, but she was met with the same result.

Back at the battle, Mesagog was ready to finish the rangers. He charged his final strike when something opened up behind him. He looked back to see what it was, and he saw a black hole forming. He tried to escape, but the black hole sucked him into it. He fell in and was instantly destroyed. The rangers saw what was happening and panicked. “We have to close that thing!” Connor said. “How? If we get too close to it, we’ll be sucked in too,” said Trent. And sure enough, the zords were being pulled toward the black hole. “We have to abandon!” Kira shouted. “No! We can’t!” replied Ethan. “If we don’t, we’re history,” Connor said as he jumped out of the Mezadon. Trent quickly followed suit and got out of his Megazord. “We have to go! There’s nothing we can do from in here!” Kira tried to reason with Ethan. “Fine!” Ethan said as he and Kira abandoned the Megazord.

Once they hit the ground, the rangers saw their pilotless Zoroaster slowly, helplessly being dragged into the black hole. Once they finally fell in, they all broke down and started yelling in rage and sadness. Then, Trent saw the ponies trying to attack Zeltrax, but they were being stopped by some sort of force field. He also saw energy flowing through Aeltrax and into the black hole. “Guys! Maybe if we can push Zeltrax in, the black hole will close,” said told his fellow rangers. Connor looked up and saw what Trent was talking about. “But how are we gonna get past that shield?” he asked. Right after he did, the Dino Gems began to glow brighter than ever before. “I think I just figured out how,” Ethan said. “You don’t think...” Kira said. “Yeah, we have to throw our Dino Gems at him,” Ethan replied. “But what if we miss,” Trent said. “We;re just gonna have to make it so that we can’t miss,” Connor said with a determined face.

The four of them began to approach Zeltrax as gravity began to give way to the black hole. Zeltrax was still fighting the mane six, so he didn’t see the rangers approaching. Once the rangers got close enough, they all powered down. The grabbed their Dino Gems and took aim at Zeltrax. “We’ve only got one shot at this,” Connor said as he and his friends exchanged glances. Rainbow looked over and saw what they were doing. She told Twilight and the others to get out of the way as the rangers let their Dino Gems fly. Zeltrax turned to see what was happening, and the gems broke through his force field. They made contact with him and he was forced back. He was instantly caught in the suction of the black hole. He flailed his arms, trying to grab onto something, but he was inevitably pulled into the black hole along with the Dino Gems.

Once everything calmed down, Twilight and the others approached the now ex-rangers. “I can’t believe you guys gave up your powers to save us,” she said, sympathetically. “Like I said, it’s our job,” said Connor, sounding a little down. “Yeah, we’re always supposed to put the safety of others before our own,” Kira complied. “But it’s not fair. You guys lose your powers just so we can keep ours? What kind of deal is that?” Starlight said. “She’s right. We can’t just let you go on, powerless. What kind of friends would that make us?” Rainbow added. “Sometimes, life just isn’t fair, especially for Power Rangers,” Trent said. “It’s fine though. We came here to beat Zeltrax and we did that. We also beat Mesagog, again,” said Ethan. “At least let us thank you, for real,” said Twilight. “You know what? I’m down for that,” said Connor, getting his enthusiasm back. “Then let’s get back to town,” said Twilight.

Later

“Citizens of Ponyville, we gather together today to formally thank the Power Rangers for their service here. Not just today, but ever since they arrived. They even went so far as to willingly giving up their own powers to protect us. For that, we are forever in your debt: Connor the red ranger, Ethan the blue ranger, Kira the yellow ranger, and Trent the white ranger.” Princess Celestia finished her speech and stepped down from the podium as the citizens lined up and started to thank the Power Rangers, one by one.

After that was all over, a flash of light appeared and showed Earth on the other side. “I guess that means it’s time to go,” Trent said. “I didn’t really ever think of what would happen after we defeated Zeltrax,” Connor confessed. “Yeah, I have to agree. A part of me doesn’t even want to go,” said Kira, beginning to tear up. “It’s okay. You belong on Earth more than you belong here in Equestria,” Twilight said, also trying to avoid breaking down crying. “We’ll never forget you guys,” Connor said. “Keep throwing your crazy parties, Pinkie,” said Trent. “Keep learning as much as you can about friendship, Starlight,” said Kira. “Keep taking care of your animals, Fluttershy,” said Ethan. “Keep making your clothes, Rarity. You did a really good job with ours,” said Connor. “We will. And we hope that you will always keep in mind that even though you don’t have your powers, you are still Power Rangers. In both your hearts and ours,” said Twilight.

With that, the rangers turned toward the portal and began to move through it. Trent was the first to go. Kira followed suit, and so did Ethan. Connor walked up to it and took a deep breath. Before he could, he turned back toward Rainbow Dash, and he took her in a tight embrace. “I wish you didn’t have to go,” she whispered in his ear, returning the embrace. “Honestly, so do I. But I have to, I don’t belong here,” he whispered back as a tear rolled down cheek and onto the back of Rainbow’s mane. Before he broke the hug, he did one more crazy thing: he kissed Rainbow on her cheek. This made Rainbow’s heart melt completely. Connor’s face was heating up from blushing so hard. With that, he finally walked up to the portal, gave one last wave goodbye, and walked through. “I’m really gonna miss them,” said Starlight. “We all are,” Twilight responded.

Earth

Once he stepped through, Connor saw the old Cyberspace Cafe. It was still nighttime, just like when they had been taken to Equestria. “You did it didn’t you? You kissed her?” was the first thing Ethan said to him. “What? Who?” Connor responded. “Rainbow Dash,” Kira said. “Why would you think that?” “Dude, we’ve seen the way you’ve been looking at her. It was pretty obvious you two had something for each other,” said Trent. “Ok, fine. Yes, I kissed her. So what?” Connor said. “Nothing, we just wanted to fill in the gap of why you took so long,” said Ethan.

“Whatever. Seriously though, I’m gonna miss them. Not just Rainbow, all of them,” Connor said. “Of course you are. We all are,” said Kira. “So, you guys think we should tell Dr. O about this?” asked Trent. “Nah,” Connor said.

Author's Note:

Hey guys,

The story is finally done. This was my very first story, so tell me what you thought in the comments. This was a ton of fun to write. I’ve seen a lot of Power Rangers crossovers on this site, but surprisingly not a proper Dino Thunder crossover. And even more interestingly, not a crossover involving Starlight Glimmer. I just find that kind of weird. Anyhow, if you enjoyed this kind of story, look out for “Welcome to the Jungle: a Power Rangers Story.” You should be able to guess which team shows up there.

Sincerely,
Donnnnnnn

Comments ( 9 )
Comment posted by TheHardie-Boy deleted Apr 8th, 2019

I see the ponies got in on the fun in the final battle and got to kick some butt. I liked it!

9598859
Great hear! I just finished “Welcome to the Jungle” so you can go check that one out. Again, it’s way better than this one.

I'm surprised that the black ranger didn't make an appearance... especially since the beginning of the story specifically mentioned him doing work in Canterlot

Edit: Yeah, right here in the first chapter

“I haven’t heard from them in a while, but last I heard, Tommy was in some city called Canterlot doing some investigating and Trent’s gone into business with his father,” she explained.

Connor wondered why Dr. O was in some place called ‘Canterlot’, but quickly replaced it with another thought once he saw Ethan coming toward them.

Makes me wonder why he didn't show up...

9771593
That didn’t have an actual impact on the story, it was just a reference to another story

9771633
I noticed that it didn't. While I did enjoy the story on the whole, I do have to admit the way the character dialogue was set up did feel rather clunky at times, since it would lose me with who was talking... forcing me to re-read the paragraph over carefully to make sure I knew who was speaking.

9772795
Okay, you know what? That settles it, I’m going through this entire story and fixing all of that

9772810
That does certainly seem like quite the task. I do wish you good luck in it, and I believe it would help any future readers who are interested in reading about pony and power rangers crossovers. I still have tabs open with Welcome to the Jungle and Call of the Wild because I'm curious about what comes after Prehistoric Thunder. Granted, my personal favorite series is SPD but I can't expect everything to pander to what I like.

I am excited to read the sequel to this story.

9780861
Don’t worry. The problem with the dialogue was only in this story. Welcome to the Jungle and Call of the Wild are fine

Login or register to comment