• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,000 Views, 32 Comments

The Pinto of Ardennes - Bronycommander



December 1944. The last major offensive of Germany is raging, while a young pinto colt is caught in the middle

  • ...
1
 32
 1,000

Chapter 9 A second chance

Chapter 9: A second chance

Cold.

Pipsqueak felt nothing but cold.

He was dying with no way of survival, he knew this.

He could only hope that his friends and family wouldn’t be too sad about having lost him.

“Pipsqueak…” A voice ringed through his ears, but there was just darkness.

“Pip…” The voice said again, sounding like an echo, the colt looked around to locate the source, but he saw nothing but black

“Hel…Hello?” The young pony asked, being scared, lightly trembling.

“Don’t be afraid, Pip. I mean no harm.” The echoing voice spoke again and suddenly, Pip was blinded by a white, bright light, causing him to cover his eyes.

Slowly uncovering them, he saw a white Earth pony stallion with yellow eyes and a halo over his head, standing before him, the darkness now turned into a white area as far as he could see.

“Hello, Pipsqueak.” The stallion greeted him with a smile.

“How do you know my name?” He asked confused, wondering what was going on.

“Well, how much did Nancy tell you about your father?” The stallion asked in return with a grin.

It clicked in Pip’s head. “Da-da-daddy?” He asked, not able to believe it.

“Yes my dear, I’m your father.” The pony smiled.

For some reason, the little colt couldn’t help but feel joy and hugged his father. “Daddy…”

“Shh, my son. I know we’re never met but I’m so happy for you. I watched over you since you were born. I became your Guarding Angel after my death and your birth.” His father explained.

That made the pinto colt realizing something. “Were…were you the pony I saw in the woods? And am…Am I…dead?” He asked with fear.

His father ruffled his mane. “No, Pip, your friends and the Princesses found you just in time. And yes, I was that pony, who else would talk like that to you as I did back then?”

“Then, what is this?”

“Well, I just wanted to see you with my own eyes one single time. Would you like to know how I actually met your mother?”

Pip grinned, “Yes, please.”

“Okay.” Copperfield cleared his throat and told his son how he met Nancy all those years ago. Pip was amazed by the details as his father could remember perfectly how he met his wife and how good times it were back then, yet was a bit surprised to hear his parents used to be criminals.

“Daddy, I…” The young pony took a deep breath. “I think you’re a good pony, despite everything that happened before...you met mum.”

“It pleases me to hear that you think this of me. You’re really come after me, like when you tried to save Dinky. You tried to help her, like I did with your mother.”

“She suffered enough already, I just couldn’t let this happen to her,” Pip replied, feeling guilty.

“Don’t feel bad, my son, it was a good thing you did. But now, I think it is time for you to wake up.”

His son sniffed. “Okay. Goodbye, dad.” He hugged him one last time before his vision got blended again by white light.


A faint beeping sound echoed in Pip’s ears as he slowly managed to open his eyes.

He was in a hospital room, white walls and beds. In a bed next to him was Thomas, a heart-lung machine was warming him, an EKG showing his heart rate. He was still unconscious. Pip looked around to notice that he had one too, a CPB warming him also in addition to it.

I hope he makes it.

The door opened and Nurse Redheart walked in, smiling at the colt. “You’re woken up. How are you feeling, Pip?”

“A bit numb but otherwise, fine.”

“Good. I’ll inform your family and friends.” The mare replied and walked out.

The colt let out a breath of relief, happy that he and Thomas had survived.

Yet, he wondered, was he imagining the whole thing of meeting his deceased father? Was it just a dream? He couldn’t tell.

“Pipsqueak!” A female voice yelled and he saw his mother running in, crying tears of joy as he hugged him. “I was so worried! Don’t you ever leave me!”

“Mama…I missed you!” He also cried tears of joy as he returned the hug.

“Pip, you’re awake.” The voice of Dinky sounded in his ears, seeing her, together with her and his other friends walking in, she carried a basket with muffins.

“Thank you, Dinky. How long was I out?” He asked as he took a bite.

“A few weeks. I found you very weak, strongly subcooled, and almost frozen.” Luna explained as she and her sister walked in, followed by Patch, Tungsten and Blue Murder.

“Princess Luna, Uncle Patch, Tungsten!” The boy exclaimed happily as he saw them.

“I can’t say how glad I am to see you alive, Pip. You surely have a lot to tell, don’t you?” Tungsten asked as he pointed to the human.

The pinto-colt trembled, his heartbeat rising as he remembered his lost leg, noticing that it was under the blanket, not noticed by his mother. “Well, yes, but there are also bad things.”

“Pip, you were here for me when I returned home, so I’m here for you.” Dinky smiled at him.

“And friends help each other.” The other foals said in unison.

“Okay…but there’s something you must know.” He warned as he slowly pulled the blanket back, revealing his prosthetic leg, causing the foals to gasp in shock.

“My poor baby!” Nancy said in terror and hugged him again.

“Don’t worry, Pipsqueak, it can be restored with regenerative magic,” Luna assured in a calming tone. “Now, please hold still.” She touched his forehead with her horn, allowing the others to see what Pip had experienced.

“Oh my…” Nancy gasped. “But I guess we owe Thomas something for keeping you safe. Pity about Jack though.”

Her son started to sniff. “It’s my fault he died, that Otto and Harry died…”

“You aren’t to blame, Pip, Otto was caught in friendly fire, Harry died during the air raid. And Alexander actually survived as far as I knew. He died later during the battle of Seelower heights.” Josef pointed out, “And Jack…if he hadn’t been with you, you had never made it.”

The colt took a deep breath. “I guess you have a point. The death of his family affected him deeply.”

“Pip, Lucy never died, she actually survived,” Luna said, surprising him.

“She’s alive?”

“Yes. As I saved you, I took a look into your memories and took a closer look at Jack’s family. Lola had not survived, Lucy did but fell into a coma, the doctors thought it was easier for Jack to take that she had died. They were about to turn her life support off, but I took her to Equestria, as I thought she deserves to live.”

The blue Alicorn moved a curtain aside, revealing the young girl on a bed, still in a coma. Pip didn’t hesitate to walk over and took her hand.

“Lucy, I don’t know if you can hear me, but I’m…sorry. So very sorry. Your father died to protect me…I hope…you can forgive me…” He had regret in his voice, knowing that the girl was now an orphan should she ever waking up.

Suddenly, he felt how her hand grabbed his hoof. “Pip…” Lucy’s voice was weak, slowly opening her eyes. “What…happened? Where am I?” She asked confused.

The colt took a deep breath. “You are in my homeworld, Equestria. Your home was hit by a V2 rocket, your mother didn’t survive. I’m sorry.” He told with sympathy, having his head lowered.

The child stared at him, trying to process the information. It seemed like hours before she started to cry. “No…mommy…”

Pipsqueak hugged her in an attempt to cheer her up, unsure what to say, what would happen to her.

The other children looked at each other and Luca with sad faces, the girl had lost everything.

Nancy looked at Blue, Tungsten and Patch, they also looked at the young girl with sympathy, having an idea that could help the human child. She hadn’t deserved such a horrible fate.

A groan came from the soldier as he appeared to wake up. “My head…” Thomas moaned rubbing his forehead.

“Greetings, Mr. König I’m Princess Celestia, this is my sister Princess Luna. We are very grateful for keeping our young subject safe.” Celestia bowed her head in respect.

"I’m Pipsqueak’s mother Nancy, those are my friends Blue Murder and her son Tungsten, and Pip’s friends Dinky, Noi, Tootsie Flute, Ruby Pinch, Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. We are all very grateful that you kept him safe.” Pip’s mother smiled.

The German looked confused around, trying to make sense of everything before replying, “I did only what was right. In what I believed in.”

“You are welcome to stay here, becoming a citizen of Equestria.” The white unicorn offered.

Thomas started to smile. “I would be honored. I have lost everything anyway back home.”

He then noticed the girl, assuming it was Lucy. “Lucy, I would like to have you as member of my family. You helped me, let me help you.” Pip said to her.

“B-but…I’m not familiar with your world…” Lucy replied under her cries.

“Lucy, you were there for me when I was in your world. If I can adapt to it, then you can adapt to mine.”

The girl slowly stopped to cry and sniffed, forming a weak smile. R-right. I can do it. “You were kinda part of my family back then, I’d love to.”

“It would be an honor for me to have you both in the family, you deserve a second chance,” Nancy added with pride for her son.

“I’ll accept,” Thomas replied as the colt had grown on him.


A few weeks later

Thomas and Lucy enjoyed every second of their new life. At first, they were confused by the fact that other humans from different cultures and timelines lived there, but they got used to it. It also took Thomas some time to accept what had happened to Germany from Otto’s and Harry’s friend Jacob, but he had suspected this would happen after the offensive in the Ardennes failed.

He and Nancy cleared the house as the voice of the two children echoed in their ears, “Mom, dad, we’re home!”

Welcome home, children. How was school?” Nancy asked.

“Great! We have a picnic in the park with our friends!” Pip exclaimed happily then left with his sister. The regeneration process was going slow but steady, requiring a hollow prosthetic in place until was fully healed but it didn’t bother the colt in the slightest.

His parents watched after him and Lucy with smiles.

Thomas turned on the radio on. “May I have this dance?”

He and Lucy understood that Pip and Nancy wanted them to give them a second chance.

And they would take this chance, making the best out of it.

Comments ( 14 )

I liked the story with a good start with the soundtrack of the company of heroes 2 Wester Armies, speaking of soundtrack the selected songs, they were perfect in the selected parts (curious thing in the link of the music "Germany Anthem" that video was just banned :twilightoops: ) and the music selected for the radios was totally perfect with the atmosphere and time and the way Pipsqueak arrived at that timeline was quite original to vary and what a coincidence for pipsqueak to meet or at least see James from afar avoiding being seen For him to avoid some glitch in his current timeline and that of James :trollestia:, the POW section was quite interesting and the one that has managed to survive a v2 was surprisingly obvious with a price that would be that the explosion has torn his leg and that Lucy has managed to survive v2 leaving her with a coma, you could say that she has had a giant luck

9770721
Thank you, I found the Western Army soundtrack very well made. The POW camp with the Anthem, that's based on Hart's war, and yes, Pip was lucky. Lucy, I did that so she can be with Pip in the end, like the other human children in my stories.

I've loved this story so much, I give it 10/10. Congrats, this has been the best WW2/MLP story I could ever read since 2017. A very great job.

10060949
So how come you don't fave?

And I hope you enjoy my other WW2 stories as well.

10061306
I'll see when I have enough time to read all of them, but I think I'll read all of them in chronological order. (MLP universe chronology). If you could help me with telling me which is the MLP Chronological order, please?

10061566
Alright, thank you so much.

10061580
Now, you have a new follower...Your welcome.

10061583
And this... is how a beautiful friendship began...

10511194
Why the reply here all of the sudden?

10511199
I just passed by and saw the comment section, then I realized how long it had been since we met, almost a year.

Login or register to comment