• Published 4th Aug 2012
  • 7,299 Views, 23 Comments

The Fight - Minalkra



Twilight and Spike have a fight. Your choice at the end determines how depressing it gets.

  • ...
11
 23
 7,299

Chapter 3

HAPPY ENDING

The daylight looked so peaceful, filtering through the closed blinds. Spike rubbed his neck, a nervous tick he had developed over a few years of embarrassing accidents. Though he was nearing twenty years of age, he was still very small compared to the ponies around him and his feet swung child-like under the waiting room chair. Applebloom sat next to him, her warmth a comforting presence next to him. He fought the urge to lean into her, to breathe her scent, to relish the life that was his filly-no, his mare.

“Mister . . . er, Spike?” The nurse pony looked up from her clipboard, scanning the room. At his name, he nearly leapt into the air.

“Coming, coming!” The nurse blinked as the young dragon ran over to her. That was unusual but it wasn't her business. Next of kin was the pony's choice, she supposed.

“This way, please.” She nodded curtly and turned on her heel. The patter of feet told her that the dragon was following and closely. He seemed used to running after the longer-legged ponies. Still, she slowed a tad. No reason to be mean to the poor dear, after what he had probably gone through.

Spike had always hated hospitals. The sterile smell of cleaner and the white, blank walls and floor . . . for some reason, it always set him ill at ease. Maybe it was because he knew death walked these halls. Now, however, he barely paid it any heed.

“Room 217, Mister Spike. We'll leave you to it.” He thanked the nurse and, taking a deep breath, stepped into the room beyond.

The blinds were drawn, shutting out even the hint of Celestia's sun. In the dim light that peeked through the gloom, Spike could see the mountain of flowers, cards and other get-well wishes that ponies were liable to heap on one another whenever they got ill or injured. And there, on a bed in the middle of the room, a slumped a familiar mound.

“Hey Twi.” The mound twitched, trying to make herself smaller. Spike winced. “I, ah, I don't know what to say, really. You've not let anyone in here since, ah, since that night. I, ah . . .”

“Go away.” Twilight's soft voice cut through the darkened room as easily as it cut through Spike's heart.

“No Twi. You've pushed everyone away, barred the door to your friends. Princess Celestia herself came down to see you, you know. You didn't even turn your head when she came in the room. Twi, she cried. The Princess cried.”

The mound didn't respond. Spike sighed. He wanted to shake her, to slap her and yell and, and, and just scream. But he didn't He didn't because he knew why they were really here. He knew whose fault it really was.

“I'm sorry.” Twilight's ears perked up but she made no other movement. “I'm sorry for, for everything Twi. I'm so-sorry for running out, I'm sorry for what I said. I'm sorry Twi. I just want you back.” Spike slumped to the floor, his legs suddenly too weak to hold him up. His eyes were filled with tears, his voice caught in his throat.

“Twi, what I said was a lie. It was all a lie. You're, you're my family. You're all I have apart from Applebloom. You're my big sister, you're my friend, you're my . . . you're my mom. Twilight, I can't lose you. Please, please come back. Please, please, please . . .” He kept repeating himself, thumping the floor with his small fists. The tears flowed freely now. Eventually his voice broke and his small frame was wracked with sobs.

Somepony gathered him and hugged him, held him. She was crying too.

“Spike, I thought you hated me.” Twilight forced her voice to come, through the ache in her throat. “I thought you didn't want me around anymore. I, I've never really been alone since I hatched you. I was so afraid, Spike, of loosing you. Of seeing my little dragon push me away. I wanted so much to have you there, to have you back but I thought you were gone forever. I'm sorry, I'm sorry.”

They held each other for a long while, their sobs blending together. It hurt. It hurt worse than broken bones, worse than being caught in a lie. It hurt but there was joy in it too. No matter what, they were family.

Comments ( 12 )
DF

Now that I've finished reading: Why does the "happy" ending make me cry when the "sad" one doesn't? Good story.

1029025

because schadenfreude is the basis of comedy.

I almost cried for both endings.:fluttercry:
The sad was so sad I had to skip most.:applecry:
The happy ending was very well written.:rainbowkiss:

Yeah! Issa happy ending! Really well written story:rainbowwild::rainbowkiss:

A happy ending! All I want a simple happy ending!!! :twilightoops:
You called :trollestia:
Not what I meant... :facehoof:
Eeyup... me too... :eeyup:
Eep! Still not what I meant! :twilightblush:
I mean I JUST WANT TO LIVE knowing Spike still loves me!!! :twilightsmile::moustache:
Spike, you heard her. She wants a happy ending :trollestia:
GET OUT, PRINCESS!!! Real bonding moment here! Not in the mood for your manure!!! :twilightangry2::moustache:

As Flutter might say it: Its nice....

the happy ending is more cheesy than happy.... time to read the "sad ending" (most likely gonna put me in a good mood).:ajsleepy:

I'm not sure what to think of this. One we have Twilight either dying or just happy that Spike came to see her in the hospital. Why is it that the most powerful unicorn in Equestria is also one of the most unstable mares there is?

Ummmmmm ok I'm not going to lie, kind wished she died, because her and Spike forgiving each other before she passed would be more heart warming:pinkiehappy:to me anyway. But good story :derpytongue2:

Im still wondering why this hasnt happened in the show yet... or the mane six turning into fillies, or swapping bodies... :pinkiecrazy:

Dawww yayyy

Login or register to comment