• Published 3rd Oct 2018
  • 3,289 Views, 171 Comments

Alternate Beginnings: Year Seven - Doug Graves



Herd Apple gears up for the upcoming Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville, with Princess Celestia in attendance!

  • ...
10
 171
 3,289

21 Anarchy's End

July 1st, 1000 DS

Celestia shifts, her mouth turning to a frown. She says in a normal voice, "Oh, I must have missed it. It is that time, I suppose."

From the front door strides a dark blue alicorn, teal and navy war armor protecting her head, chest, and hooves. Her large horn glows a deep blue, reminiscent of an aurora, and levels at Celestia. Her mane billows out, a dark blue fading to purple on the edges. Her pink outlined eyes briefly glance at Doug, a pause as her eyes consider the lack of threats in front of her. She turns back to Celestia, thundering, "What? Thou Dost Not Even Plan On Fighting Us? Not Even A Shield?"

Celestia solemnly shakes her head from one side to the other. Her eyes close before she lowers her muzzle to the table, a soft surrender, "Do what you must, sister."

Blue tendrils slowly grow out of the dark blue horn, the mass of magic creeping towards Celestia. A nefarious smile breaks out over the dark blue alicorn, her horn raising higher into the air, the ceiling turning the same dark blue as the night sky. Her mane flares around her, the dark alicorn cackling maniacally as the tendrils reach Celestia. Her expression snaps back to one of regal splendor, looking over to Doug and practically spitting, disgust oozing from her voice, "And what of thou? Are you her consort? Her concubine? Her filly's crush?" She sneers as the tendrils make their around Celestia's horn, slowly tightening, a gasp from the white alicorn as some of the color fades from her mane.

Doug shakes his head, trying to keep the terror out of his voice, "Uh, I don't know for sure, um, Princess? Maybe? I am helping her with a related matter." He coughs as a single tendril makes its way towards him, pleading, "Would you, uh, like me to get you anything?" He reflexively slams his eyes shut as the tendril caresses his hand, shuddering as it intertwines with his fingers.

The armored alicorn's sinister laugh returns, her voice echoing around the house, "Well, a creature that knows its place." Her voice gets louder as she continues, "And what did thou think to offer us, Nightmare Moon, the rightful ruler of Equestria? Some Of Your Paltry Food And Drink?" She lunges forward, smashing Princess Celestia's plate off the table, her heavy strike scouring a dark groove in the apple wood. The few remaining bites of cake scatter as the plate shatters against the wall, the house silent but for the pieces clattering to the floor.

Doug winces but remains in his seat, opening his eyes and watching the dark alicorn's sneer grow larger. The tendrils on Celestia slowly spread from her horn down her chest, splitting to wrap around her front legs, a solitary tear slowly rolling down the white alicorn's face as her mane stops waving in the unfelt wind. Nightmare Moon slowly walks behind him, the pieces of the broken plate crunching under her hooves as she bellows, "You Remain Silent? ANSWER ME!"

Doug hesitantly replies, his voice wavering, "That is my answer, that I have nothing I can offer you."

The sound of fillies crying comes from the foals room, a low wailing that slowly grows louder when nopony comes to comfort them. Doug gives a nervous glance towards the sound but remains seated, his pleading gaze turning to Nightmare Moon as the tendril creeps its way around his arm, slowly twisting as they spread around his hand. A second branch splits off from the first, connecting to his other arm and wrapping around his hand. She creeps behind him, silent as she stalks around his chair. She whispers in his ear, "Dost thou wish to play a game, creature?" His eyes go wide: he's heard that line before, but only in his nightmares long ago.

The alicorn sneers, backing up and looking towards the sound of the crying. A dagger appears from nothing, the obsidian edge brightly polished and held in a dark blue aura, the blade slowly twisting in the air. Nightmare Moon smiles seductively at the dagger, as if the two were long lost lovers, finally reuniting. Her gaze wanders about the room before it settles, a purposeful glance to the foals room, her voice luscious, "By your gaze we can tell thou art worried, creature."

She turns, the dagger dancing behind her as she steps around Doug, her voice a steady crescendo, "Are those your foals, whimpering in the Night? This Night, THAT SHALL LAST FOREVER?" The ceiling shakes, Nightmare Moon raising her head to the ceiling as Celestia and Doug flinch backwards. She swiftly turns to look at Doug again; he grimly nods as the tendrils split, tightly clasping each of his hands, binding him to his chair.

"Creature, thou amuse us. Thou know'st better than to resist our might, thou thinkest one's self so clever to try to placate us with trinkets or goodwill. So, ask one boon, creature. Make your choice. Dost thou wish to be free?"

Doug deliberates for a few seconds; Nightmare Moon walks to the open window, looking at the night sky outside, a smile at the pure white moon. Doug says, in as eloquent a tone as his whimpering chest can manage, "Your Majesty, I would have asked for you to keep my family safe, but your mercy has shown that request is unnecessary. Instead, I plead that you keep Princess Celestia under house arrest, in this house." The tendrils spread to his legs as he looks over at Celestia who barely manages a nod, the tendrils around her horn completely covering it and spreading across her mane and face. Her head bows to the table, resting just above the wood as he continues, his voice slightly steadier, "She will not attempt to stand in your way, she will use no magic, and nopony will leave this house, until your reign is finally complete."

Nightmare Moon turns, staring into Doug's eyes, a hard look that seems to peer into his very soul. He sees, inside her eyes, the image of a television set turning on, a hideous visage laughing at him. A look of terror spreads over his face as he cannot help but continue staring into the teal abyss. A smile creeps over her face, "Oh, thou hast a silver tongue, creature." She turns, her gaze wandering to the empty moon outside, pondering his words for a few seconds before her head whips back, her mane billowing away from her.

"No." The single word echoes through the farmhouse as she cackles madly. Her horn lights up as she sneers at Doug, the dagger leaving an afterimage of blue as it teleports away with a soft crack. The tendrils wrapping themselves around Doug's arm sprout barbs, digging into his flesh, only growing more painful as he twitches back and forth. He gasps, blood seeping from the punctures as plaintive cries come from the fillies, growing louder and louder as Nightmare Moon begins moving.

Nightmare Moon slowly takes a step towards him, the weighty step of an executioner, punctuated by a flick of her head as the sound of a crying colt abruptly disappears. The other cries grow urgent, their desperate fear plain as the night around them as their screaming intensifies. Doug grimaces, tears forming in his eyes, struggling vainly against his bonds as the tendrils tighten, his arms and legs immobilized.

Nightmare Moon takes another step forward, laughing as he struggles. Her mouth twists up, her smile mocking him as her head turns slightly to the side, another of the screams going out as the chair rocks back and forth.

Another high pitched voice disappears as Nightmare Moon closes the distance with one final step, the last two screams turning to frantic pleas for their life and cries for their Daddy. They grow quiet only as the fillies run out of breath, three pathetic whimpers the only sounds breaking the silence. Nightmare Moon smirks, nuzzling Doug's head with her own, a quiet, "Shhh," as she slowly glances towards the foals room. A brief nod of her head, then a swipe to the side, and the last two crying fillies go silent, Doug's choked sobs now the only noise punctuating the otherwise silent farmhouse.

A bloody dagger levitates from the foals room, encased in a dark blue aura, a few bits of brown, and tan, and yellow hair clinging to the blade. It meanders through the air, a leisurely waltz before embedding into the table.

Nightmare Moon whispers in Doug's ear as he stares blankly at the dagger, "This is what happens to those that think themselves clever, creature." Nightmare Moon smiles at the bound Celestia, "And we do this for thou, dear sister, so thee can know the pain of something you love wrenched away, powerless to stop it." Celestia flinches, a quiet sob from the alicorn as Nightmare stands, "It appears somepony is calling for thou, sister. We Shall See Thee Again Soon!" Nightmare Moon disappears with a loud crack as Doug closes his eyes, his body trembling as blood drips from his arms and onto the chair, pooling at his bound feet.

The departure of the Nightmare leaves the farmhouse silent. Deathly silent.

Doug stares ahead, his eyes boring into the dagger embedded into the table. The blood of his foals slowly congeals as it drips down the razor sharp edge, pooling at the tip with a few strands of colored fur along for the ride. The dagger is embossed with the emblem of a crescent moon, the same that adorns the armor and flank of Nightmare Moon. A faint blue aura still surrounds it, the same aura as the magical thorns digging into his arms and legs, his blood trickling from the many lacerations.

Princess Celestia lays to his right, head resting just above the table, horn fully encased in shadowy tendrils. They slither down her face, covering her ears, her eyes, her muzzle, leaving a small opening at her nose. The slow, steady sound of her breath can barely be made out, though she dares not stir. The same hooks that dig into his limbs press into her head from all angles. The tendrils continue down her neck, wrapping her front hooves in a mockery of her celestial mark. Dark lines continue down her sides, her legs, her wings, adorned with small barbs visible and pressing against her, none yet piercing the dull skin.

Doug gazes down at the twisted tendrils flowing along his arms, no longer shifting on their own. As soon as Nightmare Moon teleported away the movement stopped, but that doesn't prevent the barbs from digging into his muscles, long fishhooks that threaten grave injury should he dare try to escape. They travel up from his hands, past his wrist, nearly to his elbow, on both of his arms. The wickedly sharp tendrils, twisting and coiling around the heavy wooden chair he is sitting in, the solid construction sure to foil any attempts to break free, his blood pooling at the base.

Doug looks down to his feet, the same tendrils looping around his legs and pinning him to the chair. The barbs there dig in, though not as deep, but still immobilizing him with the promise of horrible rending should he attempt to move. He can wiggle his toes. And the last two joints of his fingers. But not the ankle, not the wrist, not the calf, not the elbow; no motion that allows him to shift his limbs without the stab of pain radiating from multiple piercings.

He has to know.

He laughs - the forced kind one does to keep from crying - as he blithely remarks to himself, "I will die in this room. If I do nothing." With a heavy grunt he pushes his left arm forwards, the slight motion barely allowed but not without pain shooting through his arm, the tendrils barely loosening. He closes his eyes, steeling himself as he pushes forward harder, the pain growing sharper and more intense. He breathes out, and in, a short respite before he releases a primal roar. The pain in his forearm goes out as the pain in his upper arm increases, the sharp tendrils leaving ribbons of flesh in their wake as he cruelly yanks his arm free of the twisted trap.

Doug twists his torso, years of work in the fields making short work of the last fragments nailing him to the chair. He lifts his ruined arm, pain coursing through his body when he bends his elbow but barely any feeling or control past that. He looks to the dagger, taunting hims as it sits. Out of grasp, out of reach, still coated in the lifeblood of his foals. He closes his eyes again, grunting as he pulls with his legs and feet, bringing the chair an inch closer to the table. He grimaces in pain, repeating the motion until his hand is in reach of the dagger.

He twists his body, trying to get his left arm as far forward as possible without rending his right side. He barely reaches his hand past the dagger, clumsily pulling the handle towards himself.

The first attempt, his hand slips, pulling him back to his chair with a scream of pain as the barbs dig into his legs.

The second attempt and he pulls, unable to dislodge the dagger from the wooden table before he slumps back into the chair.

The third attempt and he slips again, another scream disturbing the otherwise silent farmhouse.

The fourth attempt, he snags his wrist around the hilt, managing to pull the dagger hard enough for it to topple over, blood now coating the handle.

Feeling faint, Doug grunts, his eyes no longer able to focus on the dagger. He raises his unresponsive hand towards the obsidian edge, closing his eyes and grimacing as he pushes the dagger through the small puddle on the table. He aligns the blunt end of the dagger off the edge of the table. He grimaces before, as carefully as his weak hand can, he grasps the hilt. His tendons tighten, pain shooting through his arm as his fingers lock into place, and clumsily limps the dagger towards the tendrils on his right hand.

His left arm slips, stabbing his forearm as he tries to maneuver the dagger between himself and the wood. He moans, a low, pathetic whimper as tears roll down his face. He scowls as he pulls back, extricating the dagger and managing to slide it along the wood on his second attempt. He pushes his left arm away from his body, the blade severing the tendrils that trap his right arm to the chair as if they weren't there. A chain reaction starts from the cut as the tendrils loosen and dissipate, fading away into nothing.

His right arm and hand are now free, though still embedded with the echoes of barbs that twinge with every movement. Doug grips the hilt, closing his eyes and wincing, though no pain comes as he removes the dagger from the grasp of his injured hand. He carefully guides the dagger between his legs and the chair, finally freeing himself from the wooden maiden. He glances to Celestia, the mare still breathing quietly. He stands, dizzy as he moves to the kitchen where he finds one of Applejack's ropes. He ties a tourniquet to his arm, stopping the flow, and goes to the fridge. He withdraws the packets of his own blood that, so long ago, Doctor Horse had recommended he save for some sort of emergency.

Doug grimaces as he holds the needle in his right hand, wavering over his right arm and trying to hold himself steady. He had always used the left arm for this, and now it isn't really an option. He sighs, slowly lowering the needle towards himself.

His arm jerks to a stop, the needle just above the skin.

Seriously, a fear of needles now? After all he has been through? He grits his teeth, his left hand helping to guide and slowly push the needle into himself. Finally, a bit of luck as he manages to find the vein on the first try. Doug secures the bag to his shoulder, clumsily taping the needle to his arm, already feeling a little better as his blood flows back into his veins.

Doug exits the kitchen, grabbing a towel and wrapping his left arm, the white cloth quickly staining red. The barbs that had been digging into him seem to have dissipated shortly after he cut the tendrils, the many openings welling and slowly clotting. Doug grits his teeth, not even sparing a glance at the blinded Celestia. He grips the dagger in his right hand as he staggers his way to the foals room.

Meanwhile, in Ponyville, Nightmare Moon is gliding away from the town hall, exultant at her victory both over Celestia and the terror she is able to inflict on these foals in Ponyville. She laughs aloud, "Let the ponies run! Let them try to flee from the rightful ruler of Equestria!" She grins as she spots a few cowering in the shadows, "Do they think they can hide in the dark? From the Ruler of the Night?"

She notices one of the ponies who had talked back to her during the meeting, a purple unicorn, racing towards the Everfree Forest. She cackles to herself, "Let her try to escape the unending Night!" A thought pulls her out of her mad laughter, a new clarity as she realizes: the mare had known about her. And she is racing in the direction of the castle, where the elements are stored. She shrugs to herself, it would be a waste, the unicorn does shine with an extraordinary amount of potential. But no matter, she will do what must be done to ensure her continued rule.

Nightmare Moon flies higher, gathering magic in her horn as she spots five other mares join her. They had also given her grief at the town hall, and it would be good to make an example out of those troublemakers. Her horn continues powering, charging, about to unleash the might of the moon before a voice, not unlike her own, creeps into her head.

"You know, it would be a terrible waste if we were to destroy them."

Nightmare Moon allows her horn to power down as she looks between the retreating mares and the Everfree. "Pah!" Nightmare Moon says aloud, debating her inner monologue, "They will serve as an example of what happens to those that cross us."

"An example, or a martyr? It would be far better, would it not, to break their spirits, leave them alone and unable to oppose you by any means." Nightmare Moon grunts in exasperation, watching as the mares disappear into the Everfree Forest.

Nightmare Moon flies over, trying to locate the troublesome mares through the dense green canopy. "Out in the Everfree? Nopony knows their intentions, or their whereabouts!"

"Are you sure?"

"What?" Nightmare Moon glares, growing enraged at the silence that follows. She shakes her head; maybe it would be a waste. And if she could stop them without destroying their bodies, maybe other ponies would be less inclined to stand against her. And... Yes... If she could break their spirits, then build them back up... Just like she had done before, and continues to do now. They show much potential, those six. They would make fine lieutenants, if they could be tamed. Yes, Nightmare Moon smirks, every once in a while that pathetic princess is good for something. Nightmare Moon transforms to an ethereal blue mist, looking down again as she spots her quarry.

In the lead, an earth pony. Yes, she is reliant on her strength. If that strength is broken, she will have nothing left to hold her up.

Her rockslide trap completed, Nightmare looks to the next pony; a meek pegasus, barely able to fly. Show her a raging creature, and she will surely turn tail, abandoning her cause.

The thorn lain, and Nightmare's attention turns to the pink pony, happily pronking through the forest; something terrifying is sure to turn that innocent smile to a visage of fear.

The white unicorn. Hair immaculately curled, not a speck of dust on her coat despite running through the forest. While she would love to do something to her directly, it could merely embolden her. Better to destroy her with the sight of something so hideously imbalanced.

The last one, a pegasus, eagerly flying around, always first to scout any spot. She could tempt her away with the promise of power, of spectacle, of glory.

And then, alone, no longer with her partners, the unicorn would be powerless, even if she were to find the Elements that caused this delay in the first place. Now, to get the next stage of her plan ready...

Back at the farmhouse, Doug takes one agonizingly slow step after another, barely holding himself together. He has to know, and the room is tantalizingly close. He stumbles, his ruined arm trying to catch himself before he spins, his right hand barely able to keep him upright against the wall. The metal gouges into the wood, a chip falling to the floor. Doug grits his teeth as he withdraws the dagger, whimpering at the exertion. He stands back up, resting his tired body against the wall.

He stops trying to push further, instead steadying himself, shutting his eyes as he imagines the horror in front of him. What awaits him on the other side of the door? The room, painted in blood? Tortured, desecrated corpses? Nothing at all, not even a body? He rests his good arm against his eyes, trying to shut out the images, the nightmares his mind keeps replaying.

The ponies of the town, rallying against him and shunning him. Threatening the same against his herd.

Nearly losing Rainbow, holding her still, magicless body. Only barely kept alive.

The fight against the catapillt, and the tortured screams of his fillies, nearly losing them to the corruption.

Above the Everfree Forest, Nightmare Moon stamps an ethereal hoof in frustration. How had they managed to evade her traps? She had been sure that was enough, but now the six are making their way inside the castle. Well, it would still be a terrible waste, but they are bringing it upon themselves, really. Nightmare Moon grins as best a formless mist can as she darts into the castle, intent on locating the six mares.

Doug looks down, the bag empty of blood. It has taken him a lot longer to recover than he thought. He pulls the needle out, the cloth that bound the transfusion to his arm now serving as a bandage against one of his many cuts. One less thing poking him, to hinder him against whatever awaits inside. He closes his eyes, a long breath in, filling his lungs. He breaths out, taking just as long. He opens the door to the foals room, looking around at the still forms.

The five still bodies of his fillies, lying among small pools of blood.

Doug crumples down, the dagger falling from his hand and clattering onto the wooden floor, the only sound in the silent house. His cries come unrestrained now, deep bellows of grief unhindered by the blood soaked towel pressing into his face. He wraps his arm around his knees, drawing his legs to his chest as he rocks back and forth.

He glances to the side, his good hand finding and gripping the dagger with a new determination as he looks to the ceiling, unspoken questions dancing on his lips.

A brief nudge at his right elbow. A second, soon after, more insistent.

He barely ekes out, his eyes unwilling to look at the horrors moving in front of him, "Not now, Lemon. Not now."

Another push, this time against his right knee while the push against his elbow returns.

"What is it, Hedge?" Doug looks down, his eyes staring past the five fillies standing silently around him.

Their mouths open and close, a mockery of his energetic fillies. Doug closes his eyes, sobbing into his bloodstained towel as his knuckles turn white around the dagger. The monster, that she would use his fillies to torture him like this?

The five bodies press against him, silent hooves on the wooden floor as the fillies push into his legs and side.

Doug looks up, both arms shaking around his legs, bellowing, "WHY?? What did I-" before he looks back down, two of the fillies slowly backing away. The other three continue clinging to his leg, tears appearing in their large eyes. Their large, alive, eyes.

Doug stares blankly at the fillies, his mind trying to process what is in front of him. Lemon and Hedge return to his side, gripping their tiny hooves against his elbow as their mouths open and close, unheard words trying to escape their mouths. Doug croaks out, "You... you're alive?"

The fillies look up, nodding as a group, each filly doing their level best to beam up at him, wide smiles on their muzzles occasionally marred by a grimace of pain. Applebaum raises her foreleg, pushing the brown fur to the side with her other hoof to reveal a thin cut. She winces a little at the pain, letting loose a silent whimper as the cut reopens.

Doug howls, his raucous laughter roaring louder, the dagger toppling from his hand to land point down in the floor. He practically dances as he gathers each of the fillies in his good arm, gripping them in a tight embrace, whispered words of thanks for each of them. He kisses each in turn on the head, enjoying their nuzzles in return as he falls to the side, his laughter and tears of joy wracking his body with unacknowledged pain as the fillies surround him.

The six stay in their embrace for several minutes, the tears from their eyes starting to dry. Doug glances downstairs; much as he would prefer, this isn't over. He takes the dagger and stands, staggering back to the dining room, a little woozy from the change in stance. Yet, at the same time, feeling as if there is a new clarity to his thoughts. The fillies follow, three tenderly walking on their injured forelegs and grimacing in pain each time the hoof comes down, the older two resorting to an awkward three legged gait to minimize the agitation.

He reaches Celestia, still laying with her head held just above the table. He stares down at the white alicorn, finally comprehending the state she is in. He raises the dagger, his hand swaying back and forth as he approaches.

He carefully holds the dagger to the base of her horn, a thin slice ending at the tip that cuts through half of the twisted tendril. He slowly breathes out, steadying his hand as best he can as he cuts a second line, making sure to not scratch her long horn. He starts the third cut, finally giving himself a small hold, able to push the sharp tendrils slightly away from the horn with his ruined hand and make a clean cut through the last bit, though the jagged tendrils leave his hand looking, well, about the same.

Meanwhile, at The Castle of Two Sisters, Nightmare Moon cackles as she slams her hooves into the dais, shattering the Orbs of Harmony. A dazed purple unicorn sits before her, in a stupor as she watches the shards fall to the ground.

"YOU LITTLE FOAL!" Nightmare Moon bellows, "Thinking You Could Defeat Me!" Her magic begins channeling, shouting, "Now, You Will Never See Your Princess, OR YOUR SUN!" Her mane and tail grow, engorged with power as she creates a vortex, a hurricane of blue and purple to properly dispose of this troublesome unicorn.

Princess Celestia's horn flares, pushing the remaining tendrils away from her face and body. Doug moves the dagger, swiftly cutting through the tendrils along her muzzle. He moves down to her forelegs as Celestia peels the remaining tendrils away from her, tossing them into the corner. She sighs as Doug cuts the last of the tendrils away from her body, their remains joining the others in the corner, the blue disappearing into nothing as she breathes heavily.

Nightmare Moon staggers as she feels her energy, her cage surrounding Princess Celestia collapse. 'What?' she exclaims to herself, glancing back towards Sweet Apple Acres. 'Only my own magic could have cut those bonds... what could have-' before she realizes that the brief interruption has allowed her downed quarry to regain her strength. Nightmare Moon's own vortex dissipates away, muttering, 'Drat!' as she scowls, glaring at the aggravating unicorn she was just about to finish off.

Only to see her proudly standing, her five friends quickly ascending the stairs.

The purple unicorn confidently states, "You think you can destroy the Elements of Harmony, just like that?"

Back at Sweet Apple Acres, Doug slumps into a chair at the dining room table. Princess Celestia, her mane flowing again and full of color, takes a seat next to him. Doug asks, "So, now what?" His fillies silently stomp a hoof on the wooden floor, wordlessly cheering the rescue of the princess. He sits up a little, motioning for them to come closer. "You going to stop her?"

"What will happen now?" Celestia responds, levitating a piece of cake from the floor. She sighs, mashing the piece of cake into a rough sphere, gazing at the rounded lump as it slowly rotates in her magic. A second, somewhat smaller piece of cake soon joins it, orbiting around the first. "If I stopped her, or attempted to, the sky itself would never recover." The second piece of cake impacts the first, shattering both of them, the crumbs falling to the table. "Now, we wait. For the true heroes of this story."

Doug looks down at the towel around his left arm, "You mean I went through all that, all this, for nothing?" He slumps over, "Well, I guess I might have bled out otherwise. But good. Right. Because I don't particularly feel like being a hero any more." He smiles down at his fillies as they gather around him, "But, I suppose I would, if I had to."

"I think you may have had more of an impact than you realize." Celestia nods, tossing the pieces of cake in her mouth, levitating another small clump of cake. "Want some?"

Doug shrugs, "Sure, why not." He opens his mouth, the piece finding its way inside. Just as delicious as all of Pinkie's creations. "So, was it worth it?"

"We shall see, my little pony. We shall see." Princess Celestia looks at the room around them, "Hmm, I suppose I can do something about what happened here." Her horn flares: the blood on the floor and table disappears, the chips in the wood fill back in, and the shattered plate on the ground reforms, levitating back onto the table. She takes a look at his arm, a soft glow surrounding her horn and then his arm, "I am immobilizing and anesthetizing your arm, and applying a healing spell that will slowly heal your wounds. However, I am uncertain of the results; I do hope you regain the full use of your hand." The tourniquet comes off as her focus turns to the fillies, their cuts slowly stitching together, a thin scar remaining.

Doug relaxes, allowing the five fillies to jump into his lap and snuggle next to him. "Okay," he says, slowly feeling the effects as the adrenaline leaves his body. "Thanks."

Princess Celestia moves over, giving Doug a nuzzle that quickly turns to a soft kiss. She whispers, "I am glad you made it out alive." She lays her head on his shoulder, the only sounds the two breathing next to each other. A minute later the blue haze surrounding the house winks out; Princess Celestia stands, "Are you okay by yourself?" Doug nods; Princess Celestia gathers her power, "I am needed elsewhere. I wish you well, Doug."

"If you see them, let my herd know I'm okay," Doug says, his voice a whisper. Princess Celestia nods and blinks away. Doug slumps to the floor, glad it is over, his exhaustion finally overtaking him.

Several hours of dreamless sleep later and the front door bursts open, a rude awakening for Doug and the five fillies. He sits up before immediately falling back down, his head spinning from the sudden lack of blood. He lays there, groaning as the fillies silently complain to each other. Doug tries moving his arm, but the cloth has fused together and he can no longer move his elbow. He sighs; well, hopefully the healing magic is hard at work. He glances down at his right hand; the muscles are locked in place, still gripping the lunar dagger, the small cuts and openings from his ordeal slowly scabbing over. The holes, the places where blue thorns had rested in his flesh are slowly shutting, some areas welling with blood where his motion has opened them back up.

The mares stop laughing as they enter the house; Applejack rapidly moves forward, followed closely by Rainbow Dash as Applejack tentatively calls, "Doug? Anypony?" Doug's groan emboldens her, the earth pony charging into the dining room. She spots Doug, the human having moved to a sitting position, the five fillies gathered around. She treads forward, intent on reaching her stallion and foals as soon as possible.

Doug holds up his arms, his hand twisting the dagger away from her. Applejack wraps him with her forelegs, not caring about the fresh and dried blood working their way into her coat. She briefly glances at his towel wrapped arm before looking at him with wide eyes, "Doug? Are you okay?"

Doug tries to smile, though it comes out more as a grimace, as he shrugs, "I'll live, I guess. I'm glad you are alright. What happened?"

Applejack says, "Ah was thinking of asking the same thing; what happened here?" She looks down at the fillies, at the opening and shutting their mouths, smiling at Applejack. She turns, a hint of anger building, "What happened to them?"

"Nightmare Moon silenced them; not sure how much longer it will last, or if Celestia can dispel it. They can hear you just fine, and they're okay. I'm okay." Doug grips Applejack in a hug, pulling her towards him, feeling her body tense against him. Her breath quickens, faster and faster, her rage taken out on him as her forelegs grip his body tighter and tighter. Doug grips back, squeezing Applejack, feeling himself break down again. He can feel her own tears against his skin, his tension leaving as they both squeeze the other as hard as their weary bodies can.

Applejack nods into his chest as she relaxes, the herd watching from around the room. Fluttershy and Rainbow hover next to the table as Pinkie Pie and Rarity watch from by the hallway. Each foal scampers to their dam, dancing back and forth, overjoyed at seeing them alive and healthy. Each mare nuzzles their foal before gathering them in their hooves, quick hugs turning into long embraces. The trio moves to join their sisters, babbling about what had happened to them at the town hall. Soon, though, the five young fillies begin struggling, breaking away from their dams to cuddle next to their still sobbing sire.

A purple unicorn he doesn't recognize hesitantly walks in, finding a spot to the side, looking like she has many questions but holding her mouth shut. They are followed shortly by two alicorns, Princess Celestia and a grayish blue one; they stand in the center, Princess Celestia towering over them while the blue alicorn stands only slightly taller than the other mares in the room.

Applejack hesitantly asks, "Doug, what happened here?"

Doug quietly says, "You want to know?" Everypony solemnly nods, laying down as he begins, "Princess Celestia and I were here, passing the time before her part in the celebration. Nightmare Moon came, intent on fighting, but Celestia surrendered. I believe to avoid a battle that would ravage the entirety of Equestria. She... Nightmare Moon, she..."

Doug covers his eyes with his good arm, his left pulling Applejack close as he sobs. The mares glances around at each other, worried looks as to what could have done this. Princess Celestia continues staring at Doug, a tear rolling down her cheek. The blue alicorn merely looks down at her hooves, her steady breathing occasionally interrupted by a swift intake of breath.

Doug slowly recovers, his voice completely flat, "Nightmare Moon. She chained me to the chair with her magic. She... she made me believe she had murdered the foals, one by one." His voice breaks again as the mares gasp, looking at the foals, "It was... it was horrible. Beyond words. And then she left, like it was nothing."

The fillies surrounding him each wrap their forelegs around Doug, wherever they can reach, squeezing as best they can. Doug looks down, ruffling each mane in turn as he recovers, "I broke free of her bonds. I came to the foals room, and found they were alive, just silenced. She had silenced them in order for me to think she had killed them. Like it was some sort of game. Then I came back, freed Celestia. She healed my arm, and when Nightmare's spell went away she left, and I fell asleep." Doug quiets down, mechanically petting each mane in turn, his haggard breath slowly growing more fitful.

The six mares recount their tale about making their way to the Castle of the Two Sisters; discovering their true nature along the way; becoming the Elements of Harmony and defeating Nightmare Moon; banishing the spirit and transforming her back into Princess Luna; Princess Celestia reuniting with her sister, reconciling with her; their triumphant return into Ponyville.

Princess Celestia nudges a tear streaked Princess Luna forward, "I believe Princess Luna has something to say to you, Doug."

Confusion shows plainly on Doug's face as he stares at the blue alicorn, his eyes slowly narrowing, "Princess... Luna?" This was the mare that put him through all that? That, somehow, his herd and Celestia had reconciled with this monster, and he is supposed to, just, drop everything and forget about what she did? Could he forgive her for what she put him through? For forcing him to face the possibility of them dying, to realize how much he cared for each of them?

Princess Luna sighs, slowly looking from the floor to the human, giving a small bow, "Yes, Doug. It... It was Nightmare Moon... no, we were Nightmare Moon. I was the one did this to you." Her bow grows deeper, "There is no explanation for this, no excuse for giving into my dark desires. Can you find it in your heart to forgive me for the pain I've put you and your herd through?" She lays down, her forelegs stretched out as she continues, "I beg your forgiveness, and your friendship, though I know I have done nothing to deserve such mercy."

The impossible request echoing in his mind, Doug slowly looks around the room, starting with his arm. Still wrapped in a blood soaked towel, a sharp intake of breath at the lingering pain, as with his legs.

His gaze lands on his five fillies, who have gone through so much. What would they expect him to do? Could he do it for them?

He looks up at Princess Celestia, the mare looking between his face and the dagger still in his hand, an unreadable expression in her eyes as she watches him.

He glances to his herd, the five smiling, encouraging faces as Applejack gives him a quick nuzzle. They had managed to; could he do it for each of them, in spite of what Nightmare Moon had tried to do to them?

His left arm gently pushes Applejack away, the mare backing enough to let him stand. Doug attempts to flex his right hand, the dagger pressing against his forearm, as he tries to get any sort of feeling back.

He slowly stands, Princess Luna mirroring his action, watching him with a downcast expression. He limps over to the blue alicorn, looking her in the eyes before thrusting his arms forward.

Princess Luna staggers as something impacts her right side along with the brief clatter of metal on wood. She glances down, dark blood staining the front of her blue coat.

The dagger, her dagger, lies slightly off to the side, casually tossed to the floor when Doug threw his right arm around her neck. His left arm - the uncoordinated, bloody club that remains - had impacted her right side, the human unable to properly swing it around her neck. Doug grunts, repositioning his left arm, as he draws the alicorn in for a hug.

"I forgive you, Luna."

Comments ( 43 )

That was good for Doug to do. Now I wonder how the rest of the heard go from here?

Thank goodness! And now the story begins anew... I wonder what will happen with Twilight? Or is this the end of the story? What is next?

"I forgive you, Luna."

Nnnnoooooope

That doesn't happen that fast for something that harsh... just doesn't and shouldn't...

Specially with that lackluster explanation from Luna

9244420
9244350
The next part of the series is currently on the backburner, until I can figure out how I want to start and where I want to go with the story. It would follow the timeline of the show, but diverge considerably from canon. I'll be coming out with a side story before that comes out, hopefully at some point soon, focusing on Prince Blueblood. Specifically, the story from the start of Book Six.

9244421
I know :/ but Princess Luna, after Nightmare Moon is defeated, gives even less of an apology to Princess Celestia. Is it because all of the terrible things she did are so far in the past, and all the affected ponies are long dead (besides Celestia, of course)? Did she not really do anything that terrible, aside from refusing to lower the moon, and then nearly killing Celestia? I agree the ponies are very quick to forgive, and maybe that's rubbed off on Doug in the seven years he's been there.

Or he's seen Saw III, and knows how that movie ends.

9244539

Well he could have even gone as far as say he would forgive her but needed time or something. I see a lot of PTSD in his future

And it is different... I mean Celestia locked her for 1000 years... they hurt each other deeply back and forth... that kind of makes it a balance (and we don't know how they patch up off screen) but this was visceral and to someone that was basically a bystander! Don't g had done nothing to Luna and she tortured him with the Nightmare that she killed his foals. He was forced to give himself a blood transfusion just to keep on going from the wounds and stuff!

9244539
Woah. While not entirely too far form how it might go or not I am still Loving the characterization put forward here.

So take your time I guess but I do like what I have seen for the most part.

An honest critique of prior books? First one way to fast but you fixed that in spades.

Second some of your overly action ori need scenes (Daring Do's) were a bit more to follow than comfortable.

The rest seemed pretty good. A+ even.

So take your time and try your best ok?


Also your question to me yesterday I think or the day prior to that about research. I read a response about you doing research for the story but not knowing what you meant at the timr of the first post I can't quite nail it down.

9260627
Thanks for the support! Glad you stuck it out, and I enjoyed the comments.

Did you feel like the action scenes were too fast paced, or not enough detail? What made them less exciting?

You fooled me? How dare you.

9270081
*best indian accent* What a twist!

Glad you stuck through it; I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Even the parts that might have been more, how shall I say, uncomfortable.

9270121
I did. Great story you writen, but. . . . . . . . . .
.
.
.
You stilled fooled me:applejackunsure:

9270121
Well looks like a new series to chow down on. Surprisingly they are all full chapters spanning 7 books. The dedication to actually continue the series instead of Hiatus or canceling them or leaving them unfinished is commendable! Ill be starting at the beginning.

I would like the next part soon please.

So I just read all the years in as many days. Very good stories. Now on to the next part.

9470310
Glad you enjoyed it!

... I think Doug should have, after the hug, informed her that while he forgives her, to make ammends she has to do something for him first....

She must chug an entire bottle of fire sauce. One of the diluted ones but still.

The five still bodies of his fillies, lying among small pools of blood.

Ohmygod. This sentence gives me so much chills. I love it :pinkiecrazy:

Jumped into this from the AB:Year One rewrite, as per your suggestion. I was so, so incredible exhilarated (and horrified) that you “killed” off the five fillies. There’s sooo much potential for storytelling as to how Doug and company would deal with the murders and a stewing hatred for Princess Luna in the next book, that I was actually disappointed when it was revealed they weren’t actually dead. Or maybe I’m just crazy :unsuresweetie:

It takes a lot for a writer to commit to killing off major characters, especially ones they know the readers love. It’d turn the next book’s setting and mood in an entirely different direction too (“Dark” tag!) so I understand why you didn’t follow through. Interesting to think about though.

Continuity Disrupted, here I come! Time to dig in! :rainbowwild:

10056383
Heh, I'm not sure I could JRR Martin up a story without going into it with the explicit thought that anything can happen to anyone, main character or not. Maybe another series!

Deep and dark and painful. Like the depths of the abyss. Like the far side of the moon.

Like Trump's Presidency and this worldwide epidemic.

Most excellent.

10168094
:pinkiegasp: wait ok is that name from the comics bc if it is then its understandable why i dont know it.....if its from the series *hangs head in shame* I have no excuse. Other than my memory isn't that great.....but still I would've thought it was better then that. I mean come on MLP:FiM has been one of my main reasons for waking up each day for yrs now.

10168201
One of the comics has something like Vlad. I didn't care for that, and at the start of Book Six it gives his name as Lunaris.

10168409
If you mean AB Yr 6......I just got done having Chrome search the first 11 chapters and I wasn't never even able to get to lunar w/o the result coming back 0/0

10168431
Oh, wow. You're right. I just give his name as Prince Blueblood. It isn't until chapter 18 of this year that it reveals it. Whoops!

10174663
Oh yeah :facehoof: I forgot lol
I should've realized it couldn't have been in that 1st yr bc one of the "reasons" (unfounded fears) was Doug wanted to just have a lot of broodmares or something like that.

10181424
Oh wow! I can honestly say that I did not know that.
You learn something new every day lol.

July 1st, 1000 DS

MLP: FiM would've already started at this point if this was canon.:trollestia:

By the Moon that was amazing. On to Continuity Disrupted!

10196748
Who you calling a.....oh wait wrong meaning opps
Lol

Shifting around the contents of this chapter and the previous, mostly moving content to this one. The scene now starts with the appearance in this chapter and is fully contained.

10303361
That's what I was saying.

But once you get into Disrupted Continuity and Errant Finale you see that the canon has a somewhat flexible hold on the Alternate Beginnings AU.

9244539
I don't like the way this ends. That whole apology scene should be a chapter in its own right - I.e. done at another time. First, when the mares come back home to that scene, I really expected them to get hyper-defensive and push the other three out, in a defensive reaction of their stallion and herd. WE know that everyone is alright, but they don't. They got home to find it ransacked, with their fillies traumatized and their stallion BADLY injured. One last note, I imagine Twilight - the secluded bookworm - would be positively terrified to come into the Carrot House after what happened within. Torture flies so counter to everything she's ever experienced, I don't think she could handle it.

The other half, is when it is revealed that Luna was NMM, I think Doug should either be, terrified, enraged, or just plain unresponsive. This is the kind of shit that should leave lingering scars in the form of phobias, at least on Doug, if not with the fillies. As for the mares, what mother would be able to smile encouragingly to the sire of their foals and urge for forgiveness, knowing that their children were just subjected to torture? Pony or not, they'd need time and counseling to process something traumatic like this. There's no way anyone in this scene would just forgive torture. Sorry, I can't see it happening.

All that being said, I think the decision to bring the first part over from the previous year was absolutely the correct one; both from the perspective of keeping all the dark themes together, rather than leaving them hanging between years, but also from a legibility POV. Ch 21 is a neat, coherent chapter now. Though, the moment he ends up in the foal's room required me reading it twice - at first I thought they were some kind of zombies - before I realized what was going on. I'm still not a fan of involving the use of foals in torture, but it is torturous, so job well done(?) It did have the appropriate impact on me. I fucking hate (your rendition) of Nightmare Moon now. I mean, who the fuck tortures children to get at their parents? Sick fucks, that's who. (It's a good thing Doug was their father, knowing myself, I'd probably try and kill Luna after all that.)

10311451
I can see where a lot of this is coming from. I wanted to duplicate the show as little as possible; I could have ended that chapter with NMM losing, and then had an extra chapter where Celestia joins the Main Six and Luna and they reconcile and forgive Luna's attempted takeover of Equestria. (Which is an arguably worse thing than the torture, in that it negatively impacts more ponies, but it's far less visceral.) And the mares expect/hope for, but don't force, a similar action of forgiveness from Doug, which is the tipping point of stab vs hug. But we haven't seen the last of the aftershocks of this event, not by a long shot.

10311815
Just a quick response. The point is the fresh, visceral nature of what Doug and the fillies experienced. None of the herd was around to experience NMM's attempted (first) coup d'etat, it would be like you being pissed at me, because my ancestor crossed the English Channel and 'stole' the English crown. So, it would make sense that the mares would forgive Luna easily for that, but at seeing the fresh terror in the eyes of their fillies and husband, I would think they'd have a very different reaction. I.e. Forgiveness would be a little harder to earn and they wouldn't be encouraging Doug to forgive.

Was really hoping dougs response to be "Later. Maybe."

But i also get that this is who doug is. He is more forgiving for the sake of his herdmates and not his own feelings. I hope you reflect this in the next series.

love this also now onto the next story of the series

I love your version of Nightmare Moon. It was somewhat out of pace with the rest of the story, but she was incredible. Fierce, dark, and ruthless: totally lived up to her name. I’m glad for the ending, but it would have been such a major event for every character if the CMC were the only fillies to see the dawn afterwards -enough to fuel so many more stories to fill in between actual “episodes” of the show.

Ufff until he’s 7, it was hard taking me longer than I thought

11746738
And you've made it to the end! (Of the beginning :rainbowlaugh: ) Were you thinking of reading the rewritten First Year or continuing on? As well, thanks for the comments, I've been enjoying them. Shavronne (and many of the other references, especially chapter titles) is from Path of Exile.

11746774
Apparently, if I read that story, at least the first 22 chapters... I seem to leave it because either it seemed too long or I found something interesting at the time, I’m not saying it’s boring but... I guess there was something that stopped me from following:fluttercry::applecry:

Login or register to comment