• Published 3rd Oct 2018
  • 3,274 Views, 171 Comments

Alternate Beginnings: Year Seven - Doug Graves



Herd Apple gears up for the upcoming Summer Sun Celebration in Ponyville, with Princess Celestia in attendance!

  • ...
10
 171
 3,274

20 The Bloody Flowers Redux

Author's Note:

This chapter is a combination of the epilogues from previous books, lightly abridged.
Warning: It does get dark, primarily in the next chapter.

June 30th, 1000 Domina Solaria

Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie are sitting around the kitchen table at Sweet Apple Acres. Doug is cooking breakfast, instructing Apple Bloom while Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle watch over the youngest fillies as they scamper around. The counter is piled high with plates of pancakes as well as dishes of oatmeal and slices of buttered bread. A tray is piled with glasses and several containers of juice sit nearby.

The food finishes as Big Mac and Granny Smith walk into the room. Doug whistles and the fillies stop playing, neatly lining up. He watches as Sweetie Belle scoops oats, apples, and a piece of buttered toast onto a plate held by Apple Bloom; she then holds the plate to Scootaloo. The young filly takes a look at who will be getting the plate, consults her list, and places a stack of apple pancakes on the plate.

The younger fillies distribute them to the mares, Big Mac, and Granny Smith. The older fillies continue preparing smaller plates for each of their siblings before taking a plate for themselves and heading over to the foal’s table. Doug places a drink in front of everypony, but when he looks for his own plate he comes up short.

Apple Bloom facehooves when she notices his confusion, “Sorry Daddy! Ah guess Ah forgot again...” resulting in a chorus of laughs as Doug chuckles and serves himself, grabbing an extra helping of eggs from the fridge.

“Alright, alright, get this,” Rainbow says, doing her best to suppress a laugh, “Okay. So, we make a bunch of masks of a couple of ponies from town. Say, Lyra and Bon Bon.”

Pinkie Pie scribbles notes onto a piece of paper, nodding furiously.

“Okay, and then…” Rainbow can’t keep the laughter in, bursting out in a loud guffaw.

“And then?” Pinkie asks, her eyes lighting up.

Rainbow continues struggling to rein in her laughter, finally forcing out, “Okay, I’m okay. Alright, so I got some paint as well, mane style stuff. Then, when Mayor Mare is doing her big proclamation tomorrow to kick off the events of the celebration… there will be, like, ten Bon Bons and Lyras in the audience!”

Pinkie Pie and Rainbow both beat their hooves against the table, laughing in eerie synchronization.

Applejack rolls her eyes while Rarity responds, “I don’t see the humor in it. Mayor Mare’s eyesight ain’t all that great, even with the glasses, and the whole audience would have to be in on the joke.”

“Not the whole audience, just those from Ponyville,” Rainbow retorts, “We might have to get everything set up at the party beforehoof. But, I mean, how close attention do you think everypony is going to be paying during the proclamation anyway? All eyes are going to be on Princess Celestia as she walks in, and she’s going to look over the audience and see-” Rainbow bursts out laughing again, but settles down as food is placed in front of her.

The other mares have gone back to discussing their duties for the upcoming festival. Doug sits down and Applejack remarks, “Did ya hear? Apparently they are sending somepony else from Canterlot to help Ponyville with the preparations. Some sort of, ‘Summer Sun Celebration Organizer’. Apparently the first one wasn't enough.”

Pinkie Pie chimes in, “Oh! Maybe she’ll have all sorts of ideas to make this celebration totally amazing! Like, more streamers! And balloons shaped like the sun! Balloons that get bigger as the day goes longer!”

Rarity remarks in a slightly disgruntled tone, “Or maybe she’ll just be there to make sure the celebration actually starts when the sun rises. The mayor can never get Winter Wrap Up done on time, they probably just don’t want a fiasco like that happening in front of all the out-of-towners there to watch Princess Celestia raise the sun. Or in front of Princess Celestia, for that matter.”

“Pff, Ponyville would never disappoint Princess Celestia like that! By the way, the weather is still worked out like normal, right Doug?” Rainbow asks as she starts shoveling food into her mouth.

“Yup, somepony in Canterlot even asked for an advance copy. Probably wanted to double check, but it’s kind of hard to mess up clear skies,” Doug answers as he takes a bite of his eggs before reaching for some jam.

Rainbow responds, “Well, ya, duh, but that’s only for the last, what, six hours of today? Before that we have to get everything cold enough so it doesn’t get too hot halfway through tomorrow.”

“Enough work talk, folks, some of us just want to rest their ears before everypony starts clamoring about making sure the food is done.” Applejack rests her elbows on the table, hooves covering her ears as the din from the foals table grows louder.

Doug shrugs, “You think the Wonderbolts will be there? I know how much you enjoy showing off your new tricks to them whenever you can. Thought about reapplying?”

Rainbow shrugs noncommittally, “I’m not sure. I still don’t feel like I’m back at the top of my game, you know? And I don’t want to give them anything but my very best! But ya, they will be at the celebration tomorrow, so I might show off just a little.”

Rarity remarks, “Doug, will you be watching the foals, or did you get another assignment for today?”

Doug thinks for a moment before responding, “Nope, just foalsitting as needed and working on weather scheduling. Do you think Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle will be old enough to attend the events tonight? Or Applebaum?”

At hearing their names, the three fillies come bounding up to the table. “Of course we are, Daddy!” they each chime in. Applebaum yawns from her spot at the table, shaking her head at the thought of staying up all night.

Rainbow looks at the three, “Well, I think they are old enough! We’ll be able to stay up all night celebrating the sun and Princess Celestia’s totally awesome rule!”

Rarity huffs, “Well, I don’t know about that. What if they get sleepy? It would be far better for them to go to bed and then get up early for the raising.” At seeing the three foal’s downcast faces she relents a little, “Okay, maybe staying up an extra hour. But, as you know, you need your sleep if you want to get up bright and early.”

The fillies look to Applejack, a pleading look on their three little faces. Applejack is used to being the tiebreaker for these kinds of things, easily resisting the look, “Well, Ah don’t see the harm in them staying up just this once. But you three need to be careful not to fall asleep during the raising when Princess Celestia is there! Just, be sure to warn one of us and we’ll see about finding a nice side room where you can take a nap. If you don’t let us know in time and we catch you dozing we’ll have to send you back home, where you can celebrate with Daddy and your siblings.”

A chorus of, “Thanks Mama!” rings out from the excited fillies, who immediately go back to the foal’s table to inform the others and formulate their plans for the next day.

Rarity gives a small frown at being outvoted, but coos softly as Doug runs his hand down her back, scratching as he goes. He remarks, “I’m glad somepony hasn’t given up on their role as Bad Cop to Rainbow’s Overly Excitable Let Anything Go Cop.”

Both Rainbow and Rarity laugh as the mares continue their planning of the upcoming events. Soon after breakfast is finished, the various mares leaving to their duties. Applejack heads outside, greeting many of her family as they come to help with the food preparation. Rarity leaves to assist with decorating the town hall, while Rainbow flies off, eager to avoid doing anything until her cloud busting later that day. Fluttershy returns to her house to get the birds ready, and Pinkie Pie leaves to help make sure that everything is ready for the big party tonight.

A few hours of chasing the fillies later and Doug plops down on the couch inside the farmhouse, already tired of watching the seven foals. At least Applejack has taken Apple Bloom, the mare showing her the ropes as everything gets prepared for the upcoming Summer Sun Celebration. The fillies are starting to get hungry, and hopefully the ponies outside would have a bit extra prepared, what with all the extra Apples that are in town today. Pretty much all of them are busy helping with the preparations, though fortunately none of them have tried to entrust their foals with him. Although, that might not be a good thing, it shows they still don't fully trust him. He sighs; one of these days, maybe it'll happen.

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle drag over their favorite game, Ponopoly. Doug smiles and moves over as the two pull the lid off from the box, starting to gather the other foals for a quick game. Something to draw their attention away from their stomachs, which he can hear a few start to grumble. A loud shriek startles him as Sweetie Belle levitates her favorite piece, the top hat. The filly shouts, "Meringue! What did you do!" as the piece clatters to the ground. Sweetie Belle charges her sister, the young foal quickly overpowered by her older sister. Doug looks at the fallen piece; somepony (he strongly suspects Meringue) has decorated it with colorful stripes and a tiny fancy feather. He laughs, placing the piece on the board with seven others as Lemon comes to her sister's defense. The wrestling comes to a standstill as Sweetie Belle realizes her difficulty wrestling with two of her sisters, even if they are two and four years younger than her.

The rest of the foals gather around the board, Applebaum complaining that they are playing this silly game again, taking her spot as banker. Scootaloo helps Doug sort the money into piles for each filly before moving to the rest of her sisters. Sweetie Belle, Lemon, and Meringue take their places, each rolling to see who goes first. Doug helps the youngest with counting their money and moving the pieces.

An hour into the game and things are neck and neck between Applebaum, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Meringue. Lemon sits off to the side, disappointed at her early elimination but still fascinated by the rest of the players. Pomarbo, the colt not disappointed at all at his elimination, is sitting next to Applebaum and helping her count money. Hedge, meanwhile, is taking a nap off to the side.

Applejack's voice rings out from outside, accompanied by a ringing triangle, "Soup's on, everypony!"

Doug starts to get to his feet, saying, "Alright, I think this is a good time for a break," but is loudly overruled by the four players still in the game. He sighs, settling back down and watching as they keep playing, a bit more haste in their rolls.

A while later the game comes to its conclusion: Applebaum and Scootaloo agreeing to a tie, having eliminated everypony else. Doug wakes Pomarbo, the rest of the fillies impatiently waiting at the door to go get food. Doug walks the crowd of fillies outside, heading to the tables of food, and waves at Applejack. As he gets closer he asks, "So, were you able to meet the organizer?"

Applejack laughs, "Oh, you just missed her. Apple Bloom here managed to convince her that she should stay, sample a couple of our more delicious treats. You did a great job, girl!"

Apple Bloom smiles shyly, "Oh, it weren't nothing. By the way, Daddy," she looks up at him, her sad eyes growing large, tears forming in the corners, "Aren't you gonna stay for brunch, too?"

Doug laughs, "Oh, I could never say no to you. Any fritters left?"

The gathered ponies laugh, quickly piling all sorts of apple delicacies on the table in front of Doug, the human and his fillies quickly digging in to the offered treats.

Some time later and the sun shines brighter, high in the sky, as clouds start disappearing. Doug gives a puzzled look as he raises his eyes, the scattered cloud layer no longer providing small amounts of shade to the Apple Family gathering. He glances at the small mountain of empty plates in front of him; good thing he had help to eat all the food that the Apples had placed in front of him. They had piled the food so high he couldn't even see the other side of the table. And now, a large stack of empty plates and a few glasses, still blocking his view. He glances off to the side, a smiling flickering across his face.

Laying on the ground around the table, bellies only slightly distended, are all eight fillies. It looks like Apple Bloom also decided to help him with the feast, the filly no longer standing with Applejack and instead cuddling next to her sisters Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo. Doug smiles over at Applejack, patting his full stomach, "Well, better let them get their rest, right? Especially if they are going to stay up all night for the Summer Sun Celebration tomorrow."

As Doug gets up to leave a mare stops him, "Hey! You didn't finish your meal! Especially my part, I know it's your favorite!"

Doug sighs, "Alright, Apple Cider, just give me a moment." He grimaces, opening and shutting his mouth before sticking his tongue out and breathing heavily. He pinches his nose as Apple Cider laughs, lightly punching his arm with a hoof. He laughs, "Okay, fine, here we go." He smiles, bringing the glass of cider to his mouth. He swishes the liquid around in his mouth; it is much sweeter and less alcoholic than the cider Applejack normally makes, but maybe it's just the cider they leave around when the foals might get into it. "Wow, this is really good stuff. Nice job, all of you!" Doug nods to the collected ponies; they smile and nod back before breaking off to continue their preparations.

Doug finishes the cider off, Apple Cider grinning at him; he stands, moving over to the foals. He bends down, lifting Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle and laying them gently onto Applejack's back. He lifts Scootaloo as Rainbow Dash lands next to him, stumbling a little on her landing. She grimaces, "Hey, Doug, uh, we might have a little biiit of a problem," and scratches the back of her head.

Doug turns, and Rainbow beams a large smile up at him. He sighs, "What did you do?" as he holds Scootaloo's limp form out.

Rainbow positions the filly between her wings, "Well, I miiight have met up with the Summer Sun Celebration Organizer that Canterlot sent over. And she maaay have dared me to clear the skies, even though they aren't supposed to be clear yet. So, we got any spare clouds? Or ideas?"

Doug sighs as he picks up Hedge, placing her next to Scootaloo. Rainbow takes flight, hovering a foot off the ground and holding her forelegs out. Doug picks up Pomarbo, placing the colt into Rainbow's waiting hooves. Doug scoops up Applebaum, Lemon, and Meringue, carrying them in his arms. Applejack, Rainbow, and Doug make their way back to the farmhouse, Doug saying, "Well, you leave any clouds over the Everfree?" Rainbow shakes her head, "How about the aquifer? The lake?"

"Nope. I might have cleared all of them too."

"Wait, so you just burst over three dozen clouds? Scattered all around town?"

Rainbow nods, "Yup, in ten seconds flat!"

Doug purses his lips, nodding his head up and down, "Hmm. Impressive. So, with all the water still in the air, you might be able to reform a couple, old school. Or just leave it, and the water vapor will keep everything a little cooler than it would be otherwise. Still warm, but not overly so."

"Alright, cool, figured everything would be fine. Awesome." The three make their way into the farmhouse, Rainbow pulling back a little and whispering to Applejack, "Hey, you know what I noticed about the organizer?" Applejack smirks, returning a knowing smile and nodding. Rainbow continues, "Definitely four of five," as Doug opens the front door. "Might even be all five, since she was sent by the Princess!"

Applejack whispers back, "Now, what'll it take to get them together?"

Doug looks at the game still out in the living room. He carefully walks around the scattered pieces, neither mare taking a chance of stepping on them. He comes back from Apple Bloom's room empty handed, taking Hedge, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle. Applejack gives him a quick nuzzle before heading back outside, much more food to prepare.

Rainbow hovers up, the high ceilings in the farmhouse allowing her to get past the game. Doug places the three fillies next to Pinkie Pie's two and Applejack's middle foal, smiling at the growing pile of ponies. Rainbow quietly laughs as she places Scootaloo and Hedge into the middle, the tiny wings of the pegasi fluttering once and dropping back to their sides.

The clop of hooves outside the farmhouse signal Pinkie Pie's return to the house, the mare dashing around looking for something. Rainbow moves over, saying quietly, "Hey, Pinkie, the foals are napping. What are you looking for?"

"Mane Paint. Where did you put it? I can't find it."

"Oh, that stuff?" Rainbow hums, "I think it's in my house. Want me to grab it?"

Pinkie Pie nods, "Good. Yes. Bring it to the library."

Rainbow looks at Pinkie Pie, "The library? Why the library?"

Pinkie Pie, exasperated at the delay and having to stay quiet, "Because that's where she's staying! Come on, move move move! We don't have much time!"

Rainbow sighs, "Yeah, alright, sure. Anything else?"

Pinkie Pie shakes her head, "No, I got the masks all ready, just need a bit more treats. Oh, you still have that hot sauce we made?"

"The fire stuff? Oh yeah, I can grab a bottle of that too."

Pinkie Pie nods, "Alright, I'll get that all set. Where'd you see her last?"

Rainbow shrugs, "Rarity got her hooves on her, maybe fifteen minutes ago? The SSCO looked to be in a bit of a mess. Heh. Totally not my fault."

Pinkie Pie nods, pronking outside. Rainbow looks over at Doug, "You got the girls?"

Doug nods, "Yup, I'll bring the trio over after dinner. Sugarcube?"

Rainbow nods, "Yeah, it might be SC, it might be the library. Plan now on library for now, I'll let you know if it changes." Rainbow and Doug share a quick kiss before Rainbow flies to her house, gallons of Mane Paint to gather. Pinkie Pie gives Doug a kiss as well before she heads to town, the human relaxing before the fillies get up from their nap.

Pinkie Pie pronks through Ponyville, making sure the decorations along the way to the Boutique are all in order. She pokes her head inside, seeing Rarity paging through her dresses. A purple mare with a six star cutie mark sits in the corner, head stuck inside one of Rarity's mane stylers. A small purple dragon is sitting in the corner, alternating between staring at an upside down magazine and peeking above it, leering at Rarity. Pinkie Pie sneaks over to Rarity, whispering, "Hey, Rarity."

A surprised Rarity looks over at Pinkie; she whispers back, "Pinkie Pie? What is it?"

Pinkie Pie nervously looks over at the mare, the dragon, then back at Rarity, "I need you to stall her a liiittle longer."

Rarity sighs, "But I found the perfect combination for her! I just need to wait for her mane to finish, then she'll be on her way."

Pinkie shakes her head, "No, I need more time. I need to get all the ponies ready for tonight, and set up the party, and get the overnight games done. And all before she heads back to the library!"

The purple mare says, "Did somepony say library?"

Pinkie clasps her hooves over her mouth, "I've said too much already! Just keep her occupied, do whatever you have to do. Flirt with the dragon for all I care. Bye!"

Rarity puts a hoof to her mouth, considering her dresses, as a large smile begins creeping over her face. "Hmm, dear, what do you think about this combination?" Rarity pulls out a green dress and a spiky green hat, "I'm sure it will look fabulous!"

Far longer than it should have taken for a simple mane styling later and The Carousel Boutique - normally bustling inside with ponies trying to get new dresses, accessories, or last minute repairs done to their outfits - instead has a long line of ponies outside, wondering what is causing the delay. The doors burst open, a purple unicorn sprinting out with what appears to be an inebriated dragon youngling on her back. The various mares glance at each other before starting to file inside, Rarity exclaiming, "Oh dear, I forgot all about you! I'm terribly sorry for the delay, just give me a moment to get my shop in order. I'll be with each of you as soon as I am able!"

The first pony in line moves over, holding a dress with a long tear in it. Rarity finishes putting away the costumes the mystery mare had been trying on; she levitates her red glasses over, glancing at the tear, then at the long line of ponies. "Ahem," she announces, "Attention everypony: if you are here for a repair, I'll be able to get all of those out of the way first. Please, form up inside, your attire with you with the necessary repair facing out, please!"

A dozen needles, thread of various colors, and two pairs of scissors levitate up. Rarity inspects each article of clothing as the ponies line up, needles and thread moving to the articles in question, the unicorn humming to herself as she mends the tears, rips, and minor damage that might occur when a foal gets into the wrong closet. The repairs finish quickly, and Rarity looks at the next pony. This one is not wearing anything, instead looking at the various dresses arranged around the store. Rarity announces, "Everypony who needs new attire, I am sorry, but the only available dresses will be off the shelf. Minor alterations free of charge, as always. Please, come inside, and I can provide assistance as needed."

Outside the Carousel Boutique, near the outskirts of Ponyville, Pinkie Pie quickly pronks along a dirt path. She looks around the various trees and bushes, scanning for Fluttershy. She has just gotten Rarity's emergency message, that the Summer Sun Celebration Organizer has escaped her clutches earlier than expected. The pink pony spots Fluttershy near a thin, sparsely leaved tree, hovering in the air and leading a bird choir. As the sound builds, Pinkie Pie sees the organizer approaching. She gasps, disappearing from the path and darting behind the small mound under the tree. She reappears behind the tree, her body stretched thin as she contours herself to not be seen. She begins whistling out of time, an annoyed blue jay glaring at her.

Fluttershy interrupts the choir, saying, "Oh, my. Um, stop please, everyone." She takes off; Pinkie Pie talks at the same time as Fluttershy, keeping her voice to a whisper and inaudible to the organizer. Fluttershy says, looking at the blue jay, "Um... excuse me, sir." The blue jay jumps backwards, chirping that he isn't the one to blame. Fluttershy continues, "I mean no offense, but your rhythm is just a teeny, tiny bit off."

While Fluttershy is talking, Pinkie Pie hurriedly whispers, "Fluttershy, keep talking normally. You need to stall the organizer, the purple pony walking up. Anything; stand still, lead her the wrong way, whatever you can think of. I just need a little time." Fluttershy flies backwards, giving Pinkie Pie a wink as she gently glides back to the ground, her eyes remaining closed. Pinkie Pie, now out of sight of everypony, slinks down and away from the tree, hastily making her way back to the Ponyville Library.

Fluttershy says, "Now, follow me, please. A-one, A-two, A-one, two, three," as the birds resume singing their melodies.

A look of panic briefly crosses Pinkie Pie's face as she sees birds scatter from the tree. She quickly calms herself; if Fluttershy isn't able to manage this, well, she'll just have to be faster. Pinkie Pie arrives at the library, a blur of motion as she sets up the cupcakes, gets the drinks ready, and double checks the punch bowl. A few ponies are starting to dance, some quiet music playing while they shuffle around. Pinkie Pie places the drinks, salivating at the hot sauce Rainbow brought and placed on the table already. The games follow next, Pinkie dashing between closets, some not even in the library, in order to get all the necessary board games and her deluxe Pin the Tail set.

Applejack walks through the front door, carrying a few of the games that Pinkie Pie had been searching for, those she keeps at the Apple farmhouse. Pinkie Pie jumps up, quickly sorting through them and putting them in the appropriate places. Applejack looks around at the party, "Wow, Pinkie, you've really outdone yourself. All this for a Summer Sun Celebration pre-party?"

Pinkie Pie rolls her eyes, "The pre-party is only, like, the most important party! Without it, how would you get in mood for the real party?"

Applejack rolls her eyes, "Alright, sure. And it ain't to try to impress, you know, a certain purple pony?"

Pinkie Pie raises an eyebrow, "Who, Amethyst Star?"

A green coated mare looks over, "Did you need me?"

Applejack shakes her head, "No, Lyra, Ah mean, Amethyst Star. Ah didn't mean you, sorry." Applejack turns to Pinkie as the unicorn walks off, "Ah'm talking about that organizer. You know, she kinda meets all the requirements."

"Oooh. Hmm, I guess she does! That just makes going all out on this party even better!" Pinkie Pie pronks around, quickly double checking the various sections of the party.

Satisfied with the games, the party setup, and with nearly all of the participating ponies inside, Pinkie Pie does a quick check outside, spotting Fluttershy and the organizer walking down the road. She smiles to herself; Fluttershy has done it again, somehow managing to slow down the implacable organizer. Well, more like easily distracted organizer, given that each member of her herd had been able to distract the organizer at least once. The front door to the library opens, a pristine Rarity walking through. "Oh dear, I hope I'm not too late, I was swamped with last minute requests for tonight and tomorrow." She comes up to Pinkie Pie, looking out at the road and spotting the organizer as well. "Just in time, I suppose."

Pinkie Pie nods, a whispered "Quiet!" that somehow manages to shush the entire room. Well, scratching her hoof on a chalkboard helps as well. The gathered ponies wait silently, preparing themselves for whatever it is Pinkie Pie has planned.

From outside the library they hear a muffled mare speaking, "I am so sorry. How did we get here so fast? This is where I'm staying while in Ponyville, and my poor baby dragon needs his sleep."

A number of mares glance at each other, their worried looks difficult to make out in the darkened room. A second younger voice says, "No I don't," before giving a short lived scream. The impact of what could only be a baby dragon on hard ground is heard, a number of the mare wincing and waiting for the inevitable cry of the injured baby dragon.

Instead, they hear a condescending, "Aww, wook at that! He's so sweepy he can't even keep his widdle bawance!" The gathered ponies again try to make out each other's expressions in the dark; who is this mare?"

A brief silence comes over the room for several seconds before the door opens, Fluttershy visible in the open door and carrying a small purple dragon. She says, mid sentence, "Him to bed," as she flies in before a purple mare dashes past, pushing Fluttershy back the way she came and leaving the dragon sitting among them.

Pinkie Pie silently gasps, scrounging around for something. Finding what she is looking for, she flicks a light onto the baby dragon that illuminates him and helps keep the rest of the room in relative darkness. The purple mare says, "Yes, yes. We'll get right on that. Well, good night!" before shutting the door in Fluttershy's face.

The baby dragon says, "Huh, rude much?", many of the ponies nodding in agreement. Pinkie Pie glares at each of them, though how she is able to see their nods or they are able to know she is glaring at them in particular is better left unknown. Pinkie Pie directs a second light that illuminates the purple pony as she walks back into the main room.

"Sorry, Spike, but I have to convince the Princess that Nightmare Moon is coming, and we're running out of time!" The purple mare sighs, "I just need to be alone so that I can study without a bunch of crazy ponies trying to make friends all the time. Now, where's the light?"

Before her horn can flare Pinkie Pie turns on the lights, the gathered ponies smiling and yelling, "SURPRISE!", releasing streamers, confetti, and blowing on their noisemakers.

Hours later, Doug walks through town, the evening sun shining brightly in the clear skies. The streets are decorated with a wide variety of streamers and ribbons, many in the shape of an yellow sun with a white crescent moon overlaid, eight orange triangles pointing away. The trees are wrapped with colorful bands of cloth, garlands of flowers, and streamers. Plus, most likely, hidden compartments with explosions of confetti just waiting for Pinkie Pie to pull the trigger.

The five younger fillies are following him; Lemon and Meringue are quickly getting distracted by the decorations practically littering the walkways around them. Applebaum and Pomarbo are attempting to keep the first two in line and doing a poor job, the excitement beginning to get to all of them. Last is Hedge, who darts back and forth between Doug and the two groups, lines of worry crossing her face.

Meringue spots something low, in the grass, dashing off to the side to investigate. Doug whistles as Pomarbo tries to block her but she ignores the whistle, easily knocking the colt to the side and jumping onto a red button poorly concealed under a few flowers. Above the filly, high up in the trees, a firecracker goes off, exploding into a shower of confetti. Meringue squeals in delight, eyes going every which way as she tries to spot another one of the hidden buttons.

Doug walks over, a squirming Lemon held tightly in one arm. He reaches down, grabbing Meringue before the filly can dart off in search of another button. She shrieks before finding herself deposited next to her sister; she looks up at Doug, a tear quickly forming in one eye as she cries, "But, Daddy! It was right there!"

"I know, dear, but we have to leave those for Mama to use tomorrow." Doug pats the two writhing balls of fur, chuckling as he tries to calm them down.

Meringue pouts, loud sniffles mimed by her sister as Lemon responds, "But, um, Pinkie Pie would have been happy with her! That button wasn't concealed nearly well enough, and anypony could have found it and triggered it! So, now, it happened before the big party, and she'll have time to reset it! And hide it better!" She tries to use the distraction to jump out of his arm, but his grip merely tightens around both of them.

"Good try, Lemon, but no. We're going to Pinkie's party at Sugarcube... wait... at the library, okay? You can spend all of tomorrow looking for those hidden buttons." Doug changes course; fortunately the two destinations aren't terribly far apart, especially with him coming from Sweet Apple Acres.

"Mama would let us." Lemon joins her sister in pouting as Doug carries the two to the library, though their expressions change as they get near. The sound of music blares through the open windows, shadows of ponies moving back and forth inside. The fillies begin swaying back and forth as they walk, Doug finding his footsteps matching the beat as well. A loud groan comes from one of the windows above the doorway, the silhouette of a pony flopping back and forth on a bed, clenching a pillow to her head. Doug glances back, his three fillies also marching along as they get close to the door.

Before he can rearrange the two squirming fillies to knock, Pinkie Pie opens the door; she beams a smile at Doug, "You made it! Woohoo! Now we can really get this party started!" She glances at the fillies in his arms, her smile briefly falling before snapping back up, "Oh, well, maybe we'll leave the special games for later. You are coming back later, right?"

Doug chuckles, "Heh, we'll see how they do, if they fall asleep early or something." He winks at Pinkie Pie, the mare winking back and spinning around, raising her back legs an inch and looking back. Doug tosses Lemon first, then Meringue; Pinkie Pie bucks her back up, lowering back down as Lemon gets close and smoothly catching her filly on her back. She does the same with Meringue, the two fillies now riding her as she disappears deep into the party.

Doug turns back, motioning with an arm to the three fillies behind him. Applebaum leads, heading towards the games, while Pomarbo and Hedge hesitate near Doug. He squats down, rubbing each of their manes, "Hey, you two, it's okay, just a bit more ponies than you are used to, okay? Nothing to be afraid of. See?" He stands back up, the two fillies following closely as he walks into the party.

A large number of ponies smile at Doug as he walks in, starting with Lyra. Doug waves or makes a fist and bumps hooves as appropriate, making his way towards a few tables in the back. A good number of the mares bend down, Lyra nuzzling Hedge and Pomarbo as they arrive at the food. Doug spots the bottle of Fire Sauce, pouring a single drop onto a dish of sprinkles. He swirls the sprinkles around, trying to evenly coat them with the sizzling liquid before dumping them onto one of the undecorated cupcakes. He takes a small bite, gasping at the intense heat; at least fire didn't come out of his ears this time.

Hedge and Pomarbo both go up to the tables, grabbing small pieces of chocolate and cake. Doug grabs a plate for the two, holding it down for them to place their treats on. They balance the plates on their back, Pomarbo glancing back and walking slowly even with only two items on his plate. They make their way to a less crowded spot, watching with growing excitement as Pinkie Pie and a small purple dragon take turns dumping Fire Sauce on their cupcakes, seeing who can handle a larger amount of the burning liquid.

His three oldest fillies are dancing with a few others around their age, including a small Lyra, though their dancing mostly consists of going down on all four hooves to the beat, pushing back up as far as they can go, and then back down. Just bobbing up and down, the pony version of a squat, performed to the music. Scootaloo spots him, dashing forward and grabbing at his knee, "Come on, Dad, join us!"

Doug reluctantly gets up, Pomarbo and Hedge staying in their spots as they watch him make his way over to the dance floor. Pinkie Pie joins him, bits of fire leaking out of her ears, an excited, "Ooh! What dance are we doing tonight?" as the dragon walks over, curious as to the large biped in their midst.

"Alright, Pinkie, two legs!" Pinkie Pie stands up on her hind legs. "Arms crossed!" Doug and Pinkie cross their upper limbs, making a box in front of their chest, limbs held parallel to the floor. "Squat down!" Both bend their lower legs, a seated position without the chair, the dragon attempting to mime their position. "And kick!" Doug starts off, kicking one leg out, keeping his arms raised at his chest, then trading which leg is extended and which is on the ground to the beat.

Pinkie Pie matches him leg for leg while the dragon topples over after the first kick. The two start to pant harder and harder as the exertion gets to them, the dragon rubbing his back with a huff as he stands. After a minute the song ends, the two of them standing up. "Oof!" Pinkie groans, falling to her four legged stance, "I might need one of those massages of yours to really get the kinks out!" She winks at him, flicking her tail to the side as she wanders to a different part of the party.

The fillies scamper around Doug, Apple Bloom saying, "That was cool and all, but Ah wanted to see the other dance! The arm one!" One of the nearby Lyras nods along, a few other mares following along, the dragon smirking to himself as he flexes an arm.

Doug raises an eyebrow, "A push up?"

"Yeah, like we were doing!" The three fillies nod, Scootaloo demonstrating as the next track comes up.

Doug rolls his eyes but dutifully gets to the ground, starting to do push ups to the music. He lets out a loud grunt as his three fillies jump on his back, starting to do push ups of their own. The dragon gets down as well, a confident expression on his face as he presses his small body up and down. Lyra moves next to Doug, doing her own push ups and winking as he tries to keep up with the music, but is unable to as the extra weight slowly gets to him. After another twenty he collapses, his fillies giggling above him as they continue to do pony squats against his back.

As the song ends Doug rolls over, the fillies squawking in alarm as they topple off. He stands, ruffling their manes as they try to shy away, an embarrassed, "Dad!" coming from each of them.

Doug chuckles, looking to the dragon, saying, "Haven't seen you around here before. I'm Doug." He holds his hand out, the dragon taking a long look before cautiously holding his claws out.

"I'm Spike. The dragon."

Doug nods, "Nice to meet you, Spike." The two stare at each other for a few seconds before Doug says, "Well, see you all around!" before he wanders off, the trio dancing to the next song as another Lyra takes his spot, Spike moving back to dance next to the three fillies.

Doug spots Lemon and Meringue at the Pin the Tail on the Pony station watching an intense match between Pinkie Pie and two Lyras. The unicorn wobbles back and forth, awkwardly holding on to the pin as she tries to locate the poster. She stumbles forward, listing one way and then the other, before pinning the tail just south of the pony's flank. Pinkie's two fillies give polite hoofstomps as the second Lyra takes a pin.

Lyra pushes up against Doug's hand, resting her side against his flank, "So, those were some pretty cool moves back at the dance floor. Good endurance, too; kept it up for quite a while."

Doug looks at the pony pressed up against his side, smiling and rubbing her withers, "Thanks; lot of that comes from practicing with Applejack."

Lyra winks, "I can imagine, she's a tough one; you want to see how long I can hold out against you?"

Doug shrugs, "Sure, Amethyst; double check with Rarity first, though, I thought I saw her around here somewhere."

Amethyst Star pouts, "Aww, what gave it away? Not that I wanted to get Lyra in trouble, of course."

"Your voice. Don't worry, the paint is still holding up great." Doug looks over the unicorn's mane and coat, trying to find any hints of purple underneath the green paint. "I guess they haven't broken out the Bon-Bon paint yet?"

Amethyst Star shakes her head, "Don't think so, it's just been Lyra so far. Anyway, I'll double check with Rarity about that massage, and if you can check the more, um, hard to reach spots too I'd appreciate that. I'll bring my extra paint."

"Sure, I think Pinkie's got a room set up in the back; look for the one with the drop cloths. If there isn't a table I can grab one from somewhere else."

"Sure thing. See you in a couple minutes!" Amethyst Star walks away, looking for Rarity - the mare keeps a list of which ponies have gotten massages, though for some reason she only charges the ones that are already in a herd. Not that Doug cares too much; giving the massages is just as relaxing for him as for the mares. And the two stallions, but he told Big Mac and Bulk Biceps that he wouldn't mention them.

Doug spots Rainbow Dash, the pegasus hovering above a group of enraptured fillies. Doug walks over, able to hear Rainbow's story as he gets closer; the fillies begin to look terrified as Rainbow continues, "And so, Nightmare Moon took over the body of Princess Luna! And she went around, terrorizing the little ponies by making them relive their worst nightmares! Because she could tell, just by looking at you, the scariest thing that you had ever seen! The things so scary, that-"

Applejack moves over, hushing Rainbow, "Come on, now, RD, we're supposed to be telling stories about Princess Luna, not Nightmare Moon. Save those for Nightmare Night!"

Rainbow rolls her eyes, "Fine, fine. Okay, who wants to hear a story about Celestia and Luna learning about magic together?" The fillies look much happier at that suggestion, smiling and moving in closer.

Rarity moves up to Doug, nudging his shoulder. Doug turns as she walks away, following her; Rarity says, "Alright, two sessions, three minutes with Pinkie and five with Amethyst." She moves in closer, whispering, "No funny business; there are foals still awake." Doug rolls his eyes as they continue to the side room, many splotches of paint dotting the cloth covers. Pinkie Pie is sitting on the table, Amethyst Star lounging on one of the relatively clean chairs.

Doug flexes his fingers, "Alright, Pinkie, ready?" Pinkie Pie nods, Doug starting to massage her hind legs.

Three minutes later and the puddle of pink pony pops back up, reforming to a normal earth pony shape. Doug shakes his head, a smile on his face, as she pronks out of the room. A slightly worried Amethyst Star asks, "Um, is that normal?"

Doug shrugs, "For Pinkie. Let me know if this is too much, or you want me to focus on anything."

Five minutes later and a much more relaxed Amethyst Star barely stumbles out of the room, her eyes having difficulty focusing. Doug follows behind, wiping some green paint off his fingers; the mare only needed a little touch up between her hind legs, the stuff already on her being surprisingly resistant to touch. Probably needs some special soap they take a bath with in order to get it off, once it has set; at least the newly applied paint on his fingers is wiping away easily enough. Why she is overplaying the effects of the massage, though, he has no idea.

Applejack greets him as he walks down the hallway, "Doug, might want to think about taking the fillies home. Some of them are getting pretty tired, and Ah'd hate for you to have to carry all of them."

"Sure thing. All eight?"

"Nah, the trio is doing pretty well. Ah'm surprised Applebaum ain't making it, but she's still young." Applejack frowns, "Still have to keep them away from the real sugary treats though, hate for them to crash this early in the party. Need help rounding them up?"

"Sure. Meet you at the front door." A quick kiss and ear scratch later and the two split up, quickly rounding up the sleepy fillies.

Doug waves goodbye to the various ponies as he makes his way outside, though only Rarity is ambitious enough to go for a kiss. Pinkie Pie seems disappointed he won't try to make it back, merely telling him to watch out for opening doors. He leads the sleepy train of fillies back to the Apple farmhouse, a straighter route than the one he took to get there.

Only for Meringue to spot another poorly concealed red button.

The six finally make it back to the Apple farmhouse, the fillies insisting on staying in the main house and continuing to play games. Not that Doug cared, and Apple Bloom wouldn't mind if they spent the night in her room. The bed is certainly big enough. Doug just brought out a book, reading while the five pull out a few more of their games.

Some time later, Doug looks over from his book, the sleeping forms of five fillies strewn out on the floor. He sighs; his middle three had roundly insisted that yes, this year would be the one, that this time it was different, that they would at least make it to moonrise on this, the longest day of the year. He smiles to himself, the wry kind when you start forcing yourself to do something and then decide that you like doing it as he carefully picks each filly up, two nestled in his arm and one of the youngest in his hand. Two trips later and they are cuddling together in Apple Bloom's room, a small heap of browns, and tans, and yellows, their manes a similar mix with the Apple red and green thrown in.

He'll probably get them up early in order to watch Celestia raise the sun; it is an extraordinary sight, after all. Doug has only watched it from the farmhouse when Celestia is in Canterlot, barely able to make out the shining glow around the castle. Maybe next year he'll use the telescope that Rarity got for the fillies. This year he won't need it, after all. Next year, however, is when the big celebration will be in Canterlot. It would certainly be a nice vacation for the herd, but prices would be exorbitant. The herd was already getting offers to rent their rooms out to ponies who wouldn't mind the few hours walk to Canterlot and had the foresight to plan ahead, or queries from the Oranges from Manehatten about staying with family.

But, that is a decision that can wait for tomorrow, or the day after. Doug smiles to himself, looking over the fillies, all tucked away. He yawns, feeling only slightly tired, and heads to the kitchen. It has been years since he has needed to pull an actual all-nighter, not since college so far away and long ago. Not just staying up late, making sure he will meet the deadline for emergency corrections to a weather schedule after a missed rainfall. Or for some massive storm that got out of hoof, throwing everything nearby out of order. Or watching some spectacular that Celestia put on at midnight, the warm bodies of his herd cuddling around him. Like many, if not all, of the ponies Doug prefers to do little during the night, unless there is a specific event going on. Even if there is, a lot of them only watch for Celestia's sake, the alicorn trying to keep the memory of her sister a pleasant one. Or at least remind ponies that there are pleasant memories of Princess Luna, and not just her murderous descent into Nightmare Moon.

Doug looks outside, half expecting to see Applejack making the trip back to the farmhouse with a cart of sleeping fillies behind her, but the road is deserted. He smiles to himself; maybe the trio will make it through the night after all. He glances back towards the foals room; it is tempting to head back to the party Pinkie Pie is throwing, but unless he wants to cart the fillies back and forth himself again he'll have to contend with the contents of the kitchen. Not worth the potential mishaps they love to get into if they wake and find there is no adult supervision. And it is quite unfortunate; Pinkie's parties tend to the amazing side. This one, despite it being such a huge event to everypony else, is just another party for Pinkie Pie, just the color of decorations a little different: the mare always goes all out. Especially as the parties get later and all the fillies go to bed; the mare has developed a much better flair for those kinds of parties ever since she joined the herd. Not that she ever let on when young foals could be watching.

The kitchen is a bit of a mess, the remainder of Lemon's attempt to gather food for each of her siblings. Doug cleans up the spilled oats and hay before grabbing some cheese, eggs, and bread. He deliberates; something salty would be good, but Applejack doesn't like it when he brings any of the meat in the farmhouse, complaining that the pungent odor lingers no matter how quickly he eats it. She doesn't even like making out after he's had a meal of it. Well, no sense in giving them something to complain about, not on such an important night. He hovers over the stove, looking between the eggs and frying pan before shrugging. He picks up a glass, breaking the eggs into the glass, and throwing the shells in the trash. He grabs a carton of apple juice and makes his way to his office, getting a head start on the August weather schedule.

Hours later a heavy knock at the front door reverberates through the house. Doug wearily glances up, checking the time; it is almost four in the morning, so most likely an irate Applejack with a sleepy filly or three. He sighs, grabbing the empty plate, glass, and carton. More food will help him stay up the next hour before he needs to wake the fillies, minus whichever pony or ponies fell asleep, and make it to and back from Ponyville. Why she didn't open the door herself, though, he grumbles to himself as he makes his way to the front door.

He opens the wooden door, looking down at a pair of golden horseshoes attached to long white legs. His gaze raises as his sleepy mind processes that, yes, it is in fact Princess Celestia standing in the doorway, her wavy mane a rainbow of color behind her. He stands there for several seconds before slightly bowing his head, "Celestia! I was not expecting you. Would you like to come in?" He glances at the trash in his hand and the board games still open behind him, "Please, pardon the mess."

Celestia nods, a pleasant smile conveying the familiarity she yearns for, "I would like that very much, my little pony. You know, I think you are the only one I don't need to remind to not use my title. How has the night been treating you?"

Doug shrugs, moving towards the kitchen, "Oh, it's been going very well. I'm looking forward to you raising the sun tomo-" He cuts himself off, a brief grin at the correction, "I guess, later today." He glances back, peeking at the alicorn from the doorway, "Would you like anything to eat? I'm sure there is a cake or four back here."

Celestia nods, her smile creeping larger, "Yes, but then what will you have?" They chuckle as he heads into the kitchen; Doug finds a cake in the pantry and some crackers for himself. He grabs a unicorn fork and butter knife, bringing everything out into the dining room. He places the cake - a small, short cylinder decorated with orange and white icing, two vanilla layers sandwiching a sugary mess of confetti - and silverware in front of Celestia, taking his seat next to her. Doug eats a cracker before getting back up and returning to the kitchen, grabbing a carton of milk and pouring himself a glass. He returns the milk to the fridge before grabbing a new carton of apple juice and a glass. He briefly considers before grabbing more cheese and returns to the dining room. He pours Celestia a glass of apple juice, leaving the carton in easy reach, and takes his seat again.

Celestia says in between bites, "This cake must be a Pinkie Pie creation, it is very good. Would you like a piece?"

Doug takes a small nibble of a cracker with cheese; he slowly chews and swallows before saying, "Only if you are offering."

Celestia grabs her glass of apple juice; what starts as a polite sip while she thinks turns into chugging the entire glass. She puts a hoof up to her mouth, pantomiming considering her options. Finally making her decision, she slides her plate closer to her barrel, guarding it with her other hoof. "You make a wise choice, human," she threatens, taking a bite of the cake and hunching over it, furtive glances to each side.

Doug stares at her before a smile breaks out, laughing at the ruler's antics. Celestia grins as well, though when Doug glances down at the cake a fearful look comes over her mouth. She stammers, "Now, you... you wouldn't steal the cake from a Princess, would you?"

Doug opens his mouth before gasping, covering his ears as a deafening voice shouts, "NO, BUT WE WILL!!"